PDA

View Full Version : The Palestra

Antalis::
06-23-2004, 05:28
Have you read articels about HTW in a PC magazine?

If yes, in which and can you make a scan of it?

If you cannot can you tell what was written there.

I´m just curious.

Duke John
06-23-2004, 07:25
It was reviewed together with N:TW and ME:TW in a French wargame magazine. I can't find it now at my harddisk but if I do I'll upload it for you. It was about one of the first versions with no new unitgraphics except for the modified official ones. I can't remember any textual content.

(ME:TW also got a review in a Finnish magazine http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/gc-grin.gif )

Cheers, Duke John

wilpuri
06-23-2004, 07:31
It was in a finnish games magazine called Pelit-Lehti in an article about mods for MTW. It praised the way it gave the game a longer life, and the way it was a new game in its own right. It also contained some basic information about the mod and its time period, one or two screen shots.

Duncan
06-23-2004, 15:50
Yes a magazine published in french praized both HTW and NTW; if you want contact them at store4war.com. They both sell magazine and games on internet.

Lord Zimoa of Flanders
06-29-2004, 08:33
What was the name of the French magazine?

CZoF http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/gc-glasses2.gif

Frodo Lives
06-30-2004, 16:01
I have 3 Gmail invites to give out to members of the HTW team. If you don't know what Gmail is, it's Google email with a 1000 MB of storage space and it's free.

If you are interested just send me a message at: dbasford@gmail.com.

I will need your first and last name, and a valid email address to send the invite to. Sorry, I only have 3 right now so it is on a first come basis.

Byzantine Prince
06-30-2004, 18:29
Is there Epirotes in the new version. If so I can't wait till that link becomes active, if not im so pissed off cause people don't care about one of the oldest kingdoms of Europe and thats not fair.

Lord Zimoa of Flanders
07-10-2004, 08:03
I don't think Epirotes will be added to HTW but we are already planning a new Mod,hopefully we can do this one with the RTW engine...

BTW:The Kingdom of Epirus is post-Alexander period so not really at place in HTW.

CZoF http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/gc-curtain.gif

Krodarg
07-11-2004, 19:06
Before I start, I'd just like to say this has to be my favourite mod out there and greatly improves on the original game. So thanks all :)

Now, I'm wondering on the reasoning behind some of the regional troop choices. I understand units like Argian, Athenian and Spartan hoplites being limited to certain areas as they represent particular people - they are basically hoplites with superior skill. What I'm a little unsure about is why units like the Macedonian Phalanx and the Ifrication Hopliton are limited to certain areas as they represent a reorganization of the army. If they were to recruit troops from other provinces, wouldn't they be similarly equiped?

Oh and no restrictions on Indian Elephants for the Persians seems kinda odd as I would have thought they'd be limited to the eastern most provinces. Seems strange recruiting them from mainland Greece.

Anyway, thanks for clearing any of this up

komninos
07-12-2004, 06:33
Hi Krodarg,

The Yficratian hoplites was mostly used by the Athenians and while the sarisa was adopted after Alexander the game does not reach much in to this period so that is the reason for the restriction.

Now for the Eastern elephants ... have to check if there are none then it is a bug so I will fix it.

Thanks

Krodarg
07-12-2004, 20:53
When u say the Yficratian (sorry for butchering the spelling lol) hoplites were mainly used by the Athenians do you mean the people of Athens (i.e. Attika) or all of the Athenian empire? If it was just used in Attika then it's fine the way it is...I'm wondering though, why didn't the rest of its colonies and such adopt it?

komninos
07-13-2004, 07:22
Hi,

I mean the Athenians as the people of Athens the rest used standard Hoplites.
There was no empire it was more like NATO you either did what you were told or you faced the music that is why the rest of the Greeks stoped liking Athens and show them like Tyrants.

Krodarg
07-13-2004, 21:36
Ok I understand but what about the Macedonian Phalanx? I was under the impression it was Philip that introduced it and that it was under wide spread use.

Thanks again

Byzantine Prince
07-14-2004, 22:05
No the phalanx in wide use in Beoatia(sp) and when they had captured him for a while and that's where he learned about it. I think he introduced the extra extra long spears though.

Krodarg
07-14-2004, 23:07
Quote[/b] (Byzantine_Prince @ July 14 2004,23:05)]No the phalanx in wide use in Beoatia(sp) and when they had captured him for a while and that's where he learned about it. I think he introduced the extra extra long spears though.
When I said I thought the Macedonian Phalanx was introduced by Philip...I was simply talking about the unit in the game. I wasn't suggesting he invented the phalanx.

Byzantine Prince
07-14-2004, 23:18
First of all why did you quote I was right above. Second I didn't know what you ment, are you suggesting that they manke it so the game identifies the exact time when philip came to be so that its more historically acurate. That's a long shot, I don't even look at the time anyways, its all fucked up.

komninos
07-15-2004, 08:09
Hey ... cool it there ... https://forums.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/wink.gif

Yes after Alexander’s campaign the Sarissa equipped Phalanx sow wide spread service. But the campaign goes till the start of the Hellenistic age so it is only a Macedonian unit. The later adoptions of it used heavier equipment (plate armor and generally more protection) but the shield retained the reduced size of the initial Macedon Phalanx. (Not as small as the RTW makes its it was still a large shield not a hoplon though).

BTW Phalanx was invented by the Argive (Argian) King Fidon some time arount 750BC, it was later improved by Yficrates by the introduction of the pike and the wide use of peltasts and especially heavy peltasts. Philip introduced the 6m pike and the 16men deep square formation. The Boeoteans made a new formation that used more than double the depth in the right wing the caused the destruction of the Spartan left wing (Though the Spartan army that fought at time was not the same army faced by the Athenians some years ago).

flip
07-15-2004, 13:00
Just a correction: it was left wing that destroy right Spartan wing https://forums.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/wave.gif

http://filipeabranches.no.sapo.pt/MTW/Maps/Mantinea.jpg
http://filipeabranches.no.sapo.pt/MTW/Maps/Leuctra.jpg

Krodarg
07-15-2004, 22:12
I quoted your post simply because I was referring to it. I wasn't suggesting that it was incorrect.

And no, I wasn't suggesting it be introduced at a specific time because, as far as I understand, new events can't be introduced.

What I was suggesting was the unit shouldn't be limited to specific provinces. Whether that is historically accurate or not, I don't know...that's what I'm trying to find out :)

On another note, from what I've read about this, before the reforms of Philip, the infantry was supposed to be poorly trained yet you are able to train the same hoplites as other greek factions. Is this correct?

Lastly, what about hypaspists? Are they a potential unit or are they outside the time scale?

Thanks again

maximus decimus meridius
07-16-2004, 23:15
Hi

I have downloaded now HTW 3.1 , this is a real AWESOME mod, especially for the graphic work, your unitgraphics are wonderful...

i played some battles and a little part of a campaign (last era), my only question is:

where are the Hypaspysts? i think that they were the best infantry units in the Philip and Alexander armies.

anyway your work is fantastic, really.

https://forums.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/bigthumb.gif

youngturk
07-17-2004, 21:10
first this mod is Baaadd Aaassss; the art work is fantastic congrats; One question regarding the unit upgrades: Do you know that the valour and morale is not going to work out; from my playtesting a +4 morale is not possible that is why the original game structures only upgrade to +3 on morale; valour is off too in a few ways 1) for a unit to receive valour it has to be a prereq in that unit's construction; why do you have buildings that say they give an upgrade but do not; I want to say more but keyboard is shot and a tired of cutting and pasting this message but if you are interested in what I found out about valour and how it works let me know and I will try to type it out; otherwise HTW is a truly great mod cheers;

komninos
07-18-2004, 15:21
Hi youngturk,

Send me a mail or PM about it I will see what I can do about it.

Cheers

youngturk
07-18-2004, 19:17
thanks for your prompt reply kominos. But, I don't need help I am trying to help you guys because I really like the mod. I have playtested and checked MORALE increases and I found that the maximum upgrade is +3 morale. But in HTW you have 2 structures that give +4 morale. My playtesting has shown me that +4 morale upgrade is not possible, unless you guys did something special to permit that possibility.

The other thing I have previously playtested extensively on is VALOUR. My experience has shown me that valour bonuses are determined by 1) is that building a prereq. for that unit. (you guys have buildings that claim to increase valour, but do not, because they are not in unit construction. ie. the stadium and its upgrades). 2)I found that units always acquire the lowest valour increase of the troop producing structure needed to build that said unit. That is why DA_Hoplites (need to build: ARMOURER2, SPEARMAKER, BLACKSMITH2) DO NOT get a valour increase for having Spearmakers Workshop (+1) or Spearmakers Guild(+2). Blacksmith (labeled a TROOP_PRODUCER) does not give any valour bonus as result the lowest bonus is ZERO and no valour increase is given to the unit. The armourer is a NON_PRODUCER; NON_PRODUCER buildings do not affect the unit in terms of valour. Therefore, if the DA_hoplites required only the armourer and spearmaker you will recieve the valour bonus or if you relabel the blacksmith to NON_PRODUCER the valour increase due to the Spearmakers Workshop and Spearmakers Guild will show up. I have made other observations of the valour/morale issue but I will stop here because I want to playtest them further.

An aside, because the paganfactions are limited in technology(which I think is okay) they cannot build emissaries or have titles---was that your intention. Because play them is pretty rough already. As a result, I made the LT_chariot take 2 turns to build rather than 3--the LT_chariot is the weakest of all the chariots and that makes playing the pagans a whole lot better. Also, I made the Xistophoroi_hippis take 3 turns to build (instead of 2 turns) because it is more powerful than other units of lesser strength that require 3 turns to build or are limited to specific regions to be produced.

Anyways, thanks you guys made the coolest mod. I hope I have been able to contributr to making it better.

YoungTurk

dimitrios the samian
07-24-2004, 08:33
YIA SOU Komninos .. Im hoping you are thinking ..hmmm...?? the finished product has just gotten even better ... https://forums.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/bigthumb.gif ..
YOUNGTURK .. you are one hell of a siskinie.. https://forums.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/gc-smile.gif keep playtesting .
As for me ,, I wait patiently ... https://forums.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/wink.gif

youngturk
07-24-2004, 16:35
thanks for your encouragement regarding my playtesting. However I am not sure if what I have found is being considered to improve or modify the game. Another observation I have recently made is that the AI cannot handle the new castles well when they try to break the seige. It sees that when you have an outer ring the gates should be lined up and parrallel. Otherwise the computer units will just run into the castle wall and not move. Thus insuring that the computer will fail to win the seige 100% of the time. Also when I have attempted to break the seige of I think castles or citadels. I found that the castle was not there. The actual graphic structures did not appear in the battle map. Has anyone else had similar experiences?

komninos
07-24-2004, 18:24
youngturk,

Send me a PM with your findings and please make it very clear what has to be done in order to give the Valor or Moral accordingly to the units

Thanks.