PDA

View Full Version : Korsun Pocket

John86
06-23-2004, 18:49
Hello, I just started playing Korsun pocket. I thought i was doing good, i was the russians on the korsun pocket scenario and i was gaining terroritory and i was destroying german forts easily. But i was still losing by over 2000 points Anyone have any tips for this game.

Michiel de Ruyter
07-01-2004, 11:53
Hi WMH,

I do not own the Korsun pocket game, but I do own three others (Smolensk, Normandy and Kharkov).

First, it can be you start with a negative number of Victory points. Further (except in Normandy), you should seriously save your men as much as possible. So isolate Germans, pound them with your artillery and possibly tanks and aircraft for a while, and assault afterwards. And last but not least, it takes loads and loads of Germans captured and killed (and German equipment destroyed) to get the victory points.. I do not know about objectives that need to be captured.

AFAIK, your own casualties tend to count heavier then your enemies when calculating victory points. The Smolensk game has the exact same problem, but then for the Germans. When playing the Smolensk game (as Germans) you have to capture/kill loads of Russians, capture all the objectives, and save your men and especially tanks as much as possible (and this is a pain when facing T-34's with Pz III and 38(t)'s).

The key is to isolate units. If you do, their losses are heavier, their morale drops quickly, they deplete and break quicker and they do not recover from supply-shortages. What I try to do is to isolate small groups, and cut up larger groups of enemy-units. Also, take out enemy artillery as fast as possible, as they can be very powerful by disrupting your units. I also tend to use them against tanks that are far superior to mine...

In the Kharkov game, there is, IMHO the only exception... There you have to stop the two Soviet pincers at all cost, until you have your troops released, and reinforcements arrive, and you can go on the counter-offensive...