PDA

View Full Version : Balancing the campaign

Duke John
06-27-2004, 10:35
I thought it would good to gather playtesting results to see if we can discover how to let the AI build units. It will be mostly small results but after a while we might see a pattern.

Test 1
It's bit of a pain to let the AI build units, but I'm getting close if I set the unitcost to 50-100.
At one version it strangely enough built Pikemen who still costed 600 and few cheap other units. Once I set the Pikemen to 60 florins the AI built suddenly alot more units and of all kinds.
The amount is still not that very high. I haven't seen full stacks and the most is 8 units or so.

However it was 50 years of teatime and the AI never (or perhaps just once) attacked, no matter if I played or when the AI was pitted against each other.
The AI was set on CatholicExpansionist. I set it to BarbarianRaider but then it built fewer units.

Test 2
I did some more testing. It seemed that the AI somehow has a cap of 600 men per province with default size units. I then increased the unitsize to large and then I saw more units and some provinces had more than 16 units. BTW I set the unitsize unscalabe in the unitprod file.
It seems that the AI has some kind of coding so that it thinks that 600 men is enough for a province. If you set the unitsize larger this might increase proportionally.
I also decreased the upkeep cost to 0. This also seems to help but needs to be done exclusively to be sure.

ShadesWolf
07-01-2004, 07:29
The first part of Balancing I want to look into is getting two factions up and running. This will allow me to get a feel of how it plays..

I am curretnly looking into heroes, and have created a few as tests. This are based on the beginning of 'The war of the roses' and the first battle inparticular.