PDA

View Full Version : so many roman games

soibean
06-28-2004, 07:34
just a small list of the games that are/have come out this year that I noticed involving rome/roman era or whatever I dont feel like going into specifics its late so give me a break

1. Rome tw
2. Against Rome
3. Spartan
4. Gates of Troy
5. Nemesis of the Roman Empire

atleast 5 games all strategy that are coming out around the same time or have come out...
now seeing as how you dont get alot of roman era games these would normally be something new to check out but the way I see it for the most part, besides rtw, they might cancel eachother out because they deal with the same stuff and can be seen as the same game
An example would be all of these war games out there dealing with ww2 or vietnam there are countless numbers out or coming out and it has gotten to the point where i dont even care to look at it anymore because how many times can I fight the important battles in ww2 or vietnam before I become a historian myself

one more example for roman games: shadow of rome for ps2... seems to resemble the movie gladiator alot, except without russel crowe

Leet Eriksson
06-29-2004, 00:09
I got Nemesis and Spartan,Spartan actually has historically accurate units,Nemesis has alot of fictional units,but its not that bad,ut anyways let me get in detail:

NOTE:Warning Reviews,skip if uninsterested.

NOTE:Warning,historical accuracy rant.skip if your not a history fan.

1.Spartan:The Romans are unplayable,you can randomise the ethnic group and play say Lakedaemonia with the roman ethnic group,Romans have 2 unique units,the rest of its units are greek,the first Roman unit is the Hastatii,its a swordsman unit that can throw pilum,while it states in the stats that the hit chance of the pilum is high,i did'nt notice it did any damage in game,since projectiles can kill sometimes,the next roman unit is the Triarii,its a pretty powerful spearman unit,has higher morale than the Macedonian Agryraspides,but almost the same stats.Romans lack heavy cavalry(they get only 1 HC and its citizen cavalry,crappiest HC in the game)

2.Nemesis of the Roman Empire:The Romans in this one have a mix of fictional and non-fiction units,well first of all,Hastatus,Principes and Auxillary Archers are historically accurate in name that is,becuase they are stereotyped as the Imperial Romans,Lorica Segmentata,Scutum Shields...etc,they also have preatorians,who carry pilums as weapons(not thrown),Gladiators,Scout(crap cavalry),and Liberatus(Better version of gladiators).The Carthaginians are'nt any better in game,though i have to say,the elephants are pretty historically accurate(forest elephants)the numidians talk in an arabic accent,also some arabic words,and their cavalry ride camels.the carthaginians also have shamans,that turn to zombies when killed.the Sacred Band seems to be historically accurate in looks,but carry scimitars and not spears.

[/End]Historical Accuracy rant.

Gameplay:

Ok Both games are pretty fun,gameplay in Nemesis of the Roman Empire is pretty good,you have 2 resources,gold and food,gold is generated in your Base(no base building in game,bases are already pre-built)and food in the outlying villages,you start with one village but will need to capture the other villages to generate more food.units need gold to be recruited,and need food for upkeep,if your gonna campaign long distances be prepared to have a train of donkeys carrying your food,food can also be stored in outlying forts,outposts,and training camps,these buildings can support your economy and unit if you happen to capture them.

Spartan is pretty good aswell,if your familiar with CoW(Chariots of War)but to make a long story short,it plays a bit like Civilisation games,but you can't establish outposts or find new cities,if you want resources you need to be a bit agressive.

Music/Sound:

Spartans Music is...not that good,but the sound literally rocks,though greeks(Tribal,Macedonian,Spartan,Aeolian,Illyrian/Pirate,Dorian,Ionian,Tribal)speak modern greek,but each ethnic group has a different dialect.Romans speak latin(very cool imo)and persians/eastern speak persian.

Nemesis sound is pretty...meh,cheesy at best,if you played Cletic Kings rages of war,The Romans retain their hungarian accent cheesy english sound,the Iberians speak like lamers(english),and the Carthaginian cheesy arabic accent and mixed with some arabic words,though the music in-game is better than Spartan.

I'll skip graphics,both are 2 dimensional,except spartans battlefield is 3d(can be turned 2d)with 2d sprites,overall graphics is not a huge concern,its gameplay,wich both games provide at satisfactory levels(imo).

Ok thats all http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/tongue.gif,hope you enjoyed it.

RisingSun
06-30-2004, 04:43
I played the Spartan demo, and I found it very fun. http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/ceasaryes.gif

Leet Eriksson
06-30-2004, 20:15
buy spartan,i know gates of troy is a standalone expansion,but spartan has some pretty cool scenarios,once you install gates of troy,it will detect a spartan game and apply these feaures to it(so you can enjoy the scenarios of Spartan with the new features of troy).