PDA

View Full Version : Backroom Tavern Mods

DemonArchangel
06-29-2004, 02:48
The assistant moderators appointed by the tavern mods seem to be WAY too ham handed. They tend to snap up at every tiny little bit of abrasive they can find in order to make sure absolutely no one's feelings are hurt.

The message is: We will be rude to each other, and call each other names, you don't have to jump on everything. The entire purpose of splitting the tavern was to leave one room for rudeness, and to let the people that can't handle impoliteness or someone disagreeing with them go to the frontroom. Please, the members of the .org who frequent the backroom of the tavern aren't retarded 6 year olds who ride the short bus wearing helmets, we're mature human beings who should have the right to yell, swear and argue with each other (within acceptable limits of course) and yes, feelings will be hurt and egos will be punctured, but the backroomers know that and they risk that, so please, as long as we're not totally out of control, can you please lay off a bit?

Cheers,
DemonArchangel

P.S: Watchtower this if necessary.

dessa14
06-29-2004, 02:52
im not a backroomer, but alot of people like to talk politics in a nice way without getting rilled up.
why don't you create a flame topic, where you just flame each other.
thanks, dessa

Gawain of Orkeny
06-29-2004, 03:44
Hmmmmm where have I heard this before?

Xiahou
06-29-2004, 03:59
Quote[/b] (dessa14 @ June 28 2004,20:52)]im not a backroomer, but alot of people like to talk politics in a nice way without getting rilled up.
why don't you create a flame topic, where you just flame each other.
thanks, dessa
Why don't we just try not to be jerks to each other? http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/medievalcheers.gif

Voigtkampf
06-29-2004, 08:22
DemonArchangel, if this is your level of maturity, then I can't help myself wondering… The rules are simple, you have read them, and have agreed upon them by participating in these forums. Yet, I will not simply close this topic, as I rightfully should, but move it to the Watchtower, where you can swear to your hearts content under the watchful eye of our dear beholder TosaInu-sama http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/wink.gif

Duke John
06-29-2004, 09:16
If you are mature then you shouldn't need to yell and call-names to get a point across. From where I come from they call it childish.

JAG
06-29-2004, 09:35
This came from a decision of Vogi to instead of pming me like I have always and everyone else is about a problem, he decided to post in the thread. Not only was this totally uneccesary for one comment I made but he totally derailed the thread and the next 5,6 posts were all about his post rather than the very good debate we had going on in the thrad. I was very annoyed at this because it was one word I used 'fool' which was the problem and I have been pm'd before about words far worse than that and told to sort it out and I did, no problem. The only problem comes when mods take the wrogn action. Vogi, were you tryign to make a point? trying to humilate me somhow? I get the view that you don't like my posts by your constant critism's of them, if it was you should be the one looking at sad behaviour. I would only be too glad to have edited my post if you had pm'd me, but the fact you made a whole topic go off it's route and brought attacks then onto me because of your decision was the thing that really got me angry. Can you please think before you act next time, it helps all of us.

Redleg
06-29-2004, 12:07
Quote[/b] (JAG @ June 29 2004,03:35)]This came from a decision of Vogi to instead of pming me like I have always and everyone else is about a problem, he decided to post in the thread. Not only was this totally uneccesary for one comment I made but he totally derailed the thread and the next 5,6 posts were all about his post rather than the very good debate we had going on in the thrad. I was very annoyed at this because it was one word I used 'fool' which was the problem and I have been pm'd before about words far worse than that and told to sort it out and I did, no problem. The only problem comes when mods take the wrogn action. Vogi, were you tryign to make a point? trying to humilate me somhow? I get the view that you don't like my posts by your constant critism's of them, if it was you should be the one looking at sad behaviour. I would only be too glad to have edited my post if you had pm'd me, but the fact you made a whole topic go off it's route and brought attacks then onto me because of your decision was the thing that really got me angry. Can you please think before you act next time, it helps all of us.
Then maybe Jag you should of moderated yourself and not made the post. Then the topic would not have gotten derailed would it?

There are a few other of your posts that I have refused to respond to because they are obvious baits that you did to see if anyone would get upset or inflammed from your statement.

If you are going to bait other patrons don't be surprised if the moderators step into the discussion to take the action they deem necessary. Can they be heavy handed? Sure they can, but if you don't moderate yourself - then you are setting yourself up.

Take it from one who has learned a little from my complaints of the moderators.

Dhepee
06-29-2004, 14:17
Quote[/b] (DemonArchangel @ June 28 2004,21:48)]The assistant moderators appointed by the tavern mods seem to be WAY too ham handed. They tend to snap up at every tiny little bit of abrasive they can find in order to make sure absolutely no one's feelings are hurt.

The message is: We will be rude to each other, and call each other names, you don't have to jump on everything. The entire purpose of splitting the tavern was to leave one room for rudeness, and to let the people that can't handle impoliteness or someone disagreeing with them go to the frontroom. Please, the members of the .org who frequent the backroom of the tavern aren't retarded 6 year olds who ride the short bus wearing helmets, we're mature human beings who should have the right to yell, swear and argue with each other (within acceptable limits of course) and yes, feelings will be hurt and egos will be punctured, but the backroomers know that and they risk that, so please, as long as we're not totally out of control, can you please lay off a bit?

Cheers,
DemonArchangel

P.S: Watchtower this if necessary.
DemonArchangel,

First of all I don't really have a problem with your post. We all have a right to complain. I do however think that it is pointless and downright offensive to make comments about people with mental handicaps. That had nothing to do with the topic and for all you know you hurt the feelings of any Org member who has a friend or loved one who is "retarded" or who "rides the short bus" or who has to wear a helmet. That is the kind of gratuitous and unfeeling statement that requires moderators to be so heavy handed at times.

Second, there are rules. They are very clear. They say that no name calling is allowed, full stop. There is no offensive language allowed, full stop. There is no derogatory posting allowed, full stop. There are no exclusions for the Tavern or any thread that might be found in the Tavern. There is no political discussion in the Tavern that requires name calling. In fact if you are so worried about being treated like a child remember that name calling is referred to as childish because it is used in the absence of a reasonable argument. If you cannot post without breaking the Forum Rules (http://www.totalwar.org/site/Rules.shtml), then don't post. If you can't self moderate then it forces the moderators to be heavy handed.

There are two features of the Org that some people forget. The Org exists to discuss and enjoy the Total War series of games. The Tavern is one of the most heavily trafficked rooms in the Org and as such the tone of the Tavern can influence the tone of the rest of the Forums. This is not a political forum, this is a game forum, but political discussions in the OT forum have a way of creating rivalries that can spill over into the rest of the rooms. We cannot, and will not, let the OT forum poison the well.

This is also a family friendly forum and I know that a lot of people are chafing that the moderators, and me especially, have been excising swearing or even swear words with the *'s over the vowels. There are no exclusion clauses that let members swear in certain topics. We have members of all ages and all backgrounds. We must put our best foot forward and show people that this is not a forum that allows vulgar or profane posts. We must make the Org open to all people who are interested in participating. That cannot be achieved if we have crude of vulgar posts because some members will have the pages blocked at work, or could get in trouble for accessing them, and some members could have parents who would be upset to see their child reading a post filled with profanity. The argument that some children swear or that some parents let their children swear holds no water as not all parents let their children swear and not all children swear. As long as the Org exists as a family friendly forum dedicated to gaming yes I will be heavy handed when it comes to enforcing the rules so that the forums remain open to all who are interested and so that petty rivalries have less chance of developing and spilling over into the other forums.

Best Regards,
From a Ham Handed Assistant Moderator in the Tavern

Voigtkampf
06-30-2004, 23:28
Quote[/b] (JAG @ June 29 2004,03:35)]Can you please think before you act next time, it helps all of us.
Lol, I will just throw that back at you http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/gc-grin.gif

Judging from your time spent here at the Org, you should have known the rules of good behavior already. You should also know that you don't call anyone "fool" just like that and go after the mod if he corrects you

FYI, it is not Vogi, JAG, it is voigtkampf or voigt or VK.

And no, I'm not getting any kicks from warning you and I certainly didn't try to humiliate you; sadly, you are not aware of it, but you have humiliated yourself by descending to such a level and calling another member "fool".

You see, we have been receiving a lot of complaints on how some members get publicly warned and other don't; some members seem to get away with anything. Now, you call someone a fool, and that's it; that is a clear message, call people names and nothing happens. The other members don't see my warning PM, and even if I wrote one and you have had edited your post, the fact will remain in everyone's eyes that you called him a "fool" and that it is either generally acceptable behavior or that you are allowed to do it with impunity. So, I have reached back to the "justice for all" method and publicly warn anyone who steps over the line. You are no exception there.

By all means, feel free to contact even TosaInu-sama and demand satisfaction or whatever you see fit because of my actions that have, as you feel, violated your rights.

Quid
07-01-2004, 07:38
Quote[/b] (voigtkampf @ July 01 2004,00:28)]FYI, it is not Vogi, JAG, it is voigtkampf or voigt or VK.
I thought Vogi sounded rather cute actually http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/wink.gif

Sorry, nothing to do with this topic...I will bugger off and shut my gob...

Quid

JAG
07-03-2004, 09:10
VK - surely it is then better - using your justification - to PM everybody rather than publicly warn everybody. I have no problem with that at all and I think it has only benefits, where as publicly doing it only produces negatives as shown in the thread in question. And I have never had a problem with people being warned privately, that is why there is the whole private warning and private card system, rather than public right away. I think you should contemplate the way you mod.

Mount Suribachi
07-06-2004, 18:55
Quote[/b] (Xiahou @ June 29 2004,03:59)]Why don't we just try not to be jerks to each other? http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/medievalcheers.gif
Ladies & gentlemen we have a winner http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/gc-balloon.gif