PDA

View Full Version : Victory as the Persians

The Sword of Cao Cao
07-08-2004, 06:31
How the hell do win as the Persians. Thier archers dont do enough damage, thier cav isnt as numerous as it should be, my chariots get taken down easily, and not even Lydian Heavy Infantry can seem to best a regular Hoplite. I'm getting my ass kicked so bad, yet I'm total power as the Spartans.

HOW?

Acailia
07-08-2004, 13:51
Haven't done 3.1 persians yet, in the past I would mainly use large horse archer forces to split up hoplites then surround with lydian heavies and whatever other high damage units were around. Not exactly traditional persian tactics I suppose, but traditionally hoplites kick their butts, so. Once you get an economic foothold just bribe up some hoplites for your primary armies is an easy way.

ShadesPanther
07-08-2004, 15:48
Well, Use your best units as your main forceeg Immortals, chariots, cavalry, Persian Archers and get as many Mercenary Hoplites as you can.

If you can hire alot of Hoplites and use them as your backbone and support them with your best units you should do well.

The Sword of Cao Cao
07-08-2004, 22:33
Aight, thanks guys. I think I'll try a game as them again tonight,if I get bored with my precious Spartans.

PSYCHO
07-12-2004, 05:15
Playing Athenians at the moment and loving it.

· Athenians begin building a huge navy (4 Triremes per sea area). The Boetians, despite overtures of peace, feel threatened by the growing power of their southern neighbour and declare war.

· Boetian offensive halted at the ‘Battle of Attica’. Casualties on both sides are high and exhausted Athenians are unable to chase down routed Boetians. Boetian navy destroyed with heavy losses to Athenians.

· Athenians control all sea lanes and land troops behind enemy lines at Phocis. Boetian heir and ‘Theban Sacred Band’ lead a stoic defence at the ‘Battle of the Bold’. Athenians employ ‘hammer and anvil’ tactics to systematically crush the Boetian force. After a long struggle, the surviving Boetians flee only to be cut down by waiting Athenian cavalry. The ‘Sacred Band’ and Boetian heir are surrounded and slowly slaughtered to a man.

· Athenians launch a massive invasion of Boetia from Attica. At the same time they send the majority of the remaining force from Phocis to assault the last Boetian province to the north. The garrison at Phocis remains hopeful of a return of fortune and holds out in the fortress. An Athenian remnant remains in Phocis to starve the garrison into surrender.

· Boetians fight an epic struggle for survival in the ‘Battle of the Plains’ in Boetia. With 4 units of ‘Sacred Band’, the Boetian leader inflicts heavy Athenian casualties as he advances to a counter attack. As the day comes to a close however, he is struck down by a chance blow and all but the trusted ‘Band’ flee back to the fortress. Like their brothers in Phocis, the ‘Band’ are surrounded and slaughtered.

· Bereft of hope and now starving, the garrison at Phocis surrenders. The remaining Boetian forces claim regional independence but are nonetheless mopped up in kind.

· The Spartans and other Greek states send letters of condemnation and join in alliance, but do nothing.

· Athens prepares for the inevitable struggle with Sparta and begins investing heavily in infantry upgrades.

· Athens expands its empire in the Aegean by ‘opportunism’. When other states begin warring and Island provinces become isolated, Athens incites rebellions and then enforces martial law. Married alliance between Corinth and Athens.

· Persia, having forced the remnant of the Lydians onto Rhodes now come into conflict with Corinth. Corinth suffers several defeats. Athens enters war.

· Athens lands two large armies of elite Hoplites in Anatolia. Emissaries infiltrate Persian territory to try and persuade the better Persian generals to switch sides before battle. Assassins follow on the heals of the emissaries to try and finish off those that refuse the offer.

· The two Athenian armies meet success after success as they use opportunity / terrain to minimise casualties from the numerous Persian missile troops before closing in hand to hand combat. Once the Athenian Hoplites have the enemy surrounded, they march to the centre, killing all in their path.

· Thracians ally with Athens. Macedonians declare war on Thracia and begin overrunning their territory.

· Athens unable to send troops as all reinforcements are urgently needed to replenish the ranks in the Anatolian War with Persia.

· Further reverses for Thracia cause turmoil in Athens. Athens commits naval forces to combat Macedon. The ocean becomes alive to the sound of the rower’s stroke and ramming drum.

· In the ensuing navy war, Athenian island colonies are cut off from communication with Athens and rebel. Many loyal governors retreat in fear back to their fortresses.

· Athenians clear the sea of Macedonian forces and set about reclaiming their rebellious provinces. Athenian military is stretched to the limit to combat the rebels. Armies are recalled, garrisons mobilised and mercenaries hired enmass.

· The carnage / retribution is quickly over and order restored. Every rebel is flayed and impaled. The Athenian leader and all his generals earn reputations as butchers. The Persians make the most of the Athenian distraction / predicament and invade all alone the Eastern front.

· Before Athens can move forces back to support the Persian front, many provinces fall to the invaders. One former Persian general however, wins acclaim with a heroic stand. Darus, a runner and coward himself, led a ragtag band of around 1,000 ex-Persians to make a stand on a lonely hill against a horde of some 8,000 from their former employer. Without a body guard, Darus stood proudly alone in his chariot often charging into the key points of the battle. Having killed the Persian general and a great many of his troops through missile fire, the enemy lost heart and withdrew. The few Athenian survivors stood around in amazement as the horde disappeared over the horizon. Depatch riders were sent to convey the good news to Athens. Morale in the army surged and other small bands of men, though heavily outnumbered, were encouraged to emulate such feats of valour.

...sorry got carried away there. Back to the topic, the Persians can defeat the Greeks but you must control the Oceans.

ShadesPanther
07-13-2004, 14:30
Build as many ships as you can to isolate the greek cities on the coast. Crush them and then turn to Thrace http://www.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

King Barca
08-13-2004, 17:24
Ummm i need help with the Music Pack Download. When its done downloading it says Windows dows not know where this program was created. Can someone please help!?!?!?!?!?!?

Lord Zimoa of Flanders
08-14-2004, 00:51
You need WinRar it is a shareware program just as WinZip:

http://www.download.com/WinRAR/3000-2250-10259256.html?tag=lst-0-1

LZoF

P.S. You posted twice probably by accident and in the wrong topic,spam!:-)

SaintVitus
08-17-2004, 04:32
honestly, as the persians i tech up and gather resources, pick off rebel provinces, because once i get the royal guard, well i mean they can just about beat hoplites head on! Anyway, thats just been my experience. And take crete, their archers are better than yours. basically Cretan archers, persian royal guard and immortals, thats my army any day. Very good combo. I dont bother with chariots, although i am impressed with the bif, good job guys.