PDA

View Full Version : HTW Campaign

mercian billman
07-13-2004, 06:54
I was wondering if anybody would be intrested in doing a HTW campaign and if so what factions people would most want to play.

I would be more inclined to play as the Spartans but, if anyone wants a different faction please say so.

Xiahou Liao
07-15-2004, 06:20
Count me in, Spartans

mercian billman
07-16-2004, 02:12
Spartans it is then https://forums.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/bigthumb.gif

Here are the rules Coldstream invisioned for a earlier Spartan campaign which was not realised due to the impending realese of a new HTW.

RULES:
Writing Rules:
- First and foremost, I'd like to stress that we are not playing for known-world domination. We are playing to get a backdrop for an epic tale that shall be repeated by bards across the forums

Gameplay Rules:
- Homelands: Just because you take a province does not mean you have free-reign over it. Upon first conquest of an area it is considered a vassal. You may tax as much as you please but Spartan Hoplites and Polemiste are not to be created there. Any other second or third-rate troops may be created at your whim. After 50 years (one generation of citizens having died off thus leaving only people who have been indoctrinated into the Spartan way) the province is considered to be annexed and Spartan Hoplites and Polemiste may be created.

- More on Spartan Troops: Only troops created in a true Spartan city (Lacedomia and any annexed provinces) are subject to the following: Any Spartan unit that flees (routes off the map) in combat must face disbandment. Spartan law proclaimed that any man displaying cowardice in combat be banished from the military, have his beard shaved half-off and be relegated to a life of poverty on the streets. No ransom money will be payed out for Spartan troops. If Spartans are captured along with Provincial units and you want the Provincials back, you must pay ransom for the whole lot and then disband any Spartans that return.
IMPORTANT: Turn off auto clean-up units and armies to prevent routed Spartan from integrating with other units.

-Politics: Because of its heavily militaristic society, Sparta never fielded many great statesmen. Therefor government titles can never be assigned to any person with an accumen above 2, with the exception of Lacedomia which may be goverened by the most able man. Any Governor who attains a higher level of accumen during his time of office does not need to be removed. A Governer can only be removed if his accumen drops to 0 or his loyalty drops to a rate that would cause problems for the empire.

I now have to get ready for work and I will post more when I get home. What do you guys think so far?

Coming soon:
-Shipping rules requiring military vessels to move troops. Merchant shipping is for trade only
-Naming successors
-Weak princes and what dreadful misfortune will befall them

I don't agree with the politics rule so I won't use it. The Spartans were a militaristic society but they weren't stupid and only 1/10 of the population (at best) were Homoii (equals) or real Spartans.

Other suggestions would be appreciated though.

edit: to add coldstreams rules

komninos
07-17-2004, 16:36
Hi all,

I like the rules stated above.
But ... in order to produce any Spartans out side “Lakedemon” you will need to edit the production files since these troops can be built only in two provinces.

Cheers

mercian billman
07-18-2004, 18:18
Xiahou Liao and, Kominos thanks for your support https://forums.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/bigthumb.gif

Unfortunately I cant start a campaign with just 2 people unless Xiahou is willing to trade reigns with every other king.

Which really isn't a bad idea since Sparta was ruled two royal families. Hopefully though more people will sign up if not perhaps Xiahou would be willing to try my concept.

The Sword of Cao Cao
07-21-2004, 04:16
Spartans eh?

Count me in

Xiahou Liao
07-21-2004, 04:39
I'd be willing to try if it ever comes to it. >>;

mercian billman
07-21-2004, 08:18
Okay since Cao Cao, joined we have enough to start a real PBM https://forums.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

I will start my reign tommorow and probably be done by Saturday.

mercian billman
07-25-2004, 04:15
I just finished playing my report will come within the next few hours I'm busy right now.

mercian billman
07-25-2004, 08:05
Year 1, Lycurgus becomes King of Sparta and introduces new calendar. The first year of his reign is know as 1 LC.

2 LC- Messenian leaders are bribed and, Messenia falls under Spartan rule.

6 LC- Elis is invaded King Lycurgus leads 16,170 (troop numbers and causalties have been multiplied by 10 to seem more realistic) Spartans against 7520 Elisians under the command of Evmenios.

The Elisians attempted to ambush Spartan troops while on the march but, the Spartan numbers were just to much. 1810 Elisians were killed and 1970 were captured (they were later released and became helots.) 1570 Spartans were killed.

8 LC- The City of Elis falls.

18 LC- Corinth is defeated without a fight. Corinth later falls and, because their King had no heir Corinth disintegrates.

19 LC- Spartan Troops invade Argolis and the Argives retreat without a fight.

21 LC- Argolis falls and Spartan troops suffer heavy casualties.

22 LC- Argives launch a two pronged offensive to defeat Sparta both offensives failed.

11,136 Argives invaded Corinth by sea; they were greeted by 10,070 Spartans under the command of King Lycurgus. 3870 Argives were killed and 1730 were captured the Spartan lost 3610 men.

The Argives attempted to retake their capitol (Argolis.) The Argive troops numbered 21,190 and were led by Evripides, Spartan troops numbered 15,070 and were led by Idomeneas. Both city states fielded the largest and armies in their respective histories. Both armies were also under the best commanders each state could produce. Neither side used cavalry and both armies fielded a new type of troop (Hoplite) for the first time (in limited numbers.) In a bloody battle 10,230 Argives were killed and 1590 were captured. The Spartans lost 7620 men.

23 LC- After they failed to take Argolis the first time the Argives would try again just one year later. The Argives fielded 7690 troops under the command of Alkibades most of whom were hopilites. Unfortunately the Argives did not consider the Spartans would reinforce the Argolis garrison so quickly. Facing the Argives were 16,590 Spartans (mostly Polemiste.) The Argives lost 5740 men in battle and 1060 were killed. Spartan losses were horrendous and the full number of dead reached 10,680.

*25 LC- The Argives would attempt to capture Argolis for the third time. Once again Idomeneas led a Spartan army of 12,690 and 14,610 Argives were led by Diomedes. Sparta lost 10,000 men and the Argives lost 10,020.

*27 LC- 9760 Spartan troops under the command of Idomeneas invaded Cynuria and face 14,650 troopd under the command of Alkibades. 7350 Spartans were killed and 8440 Argives died, the survivors retreated to their castle and Spartan commanders expect it to fall within 1 year.

The same year Sparta won a string of naval victories and has secured the Peloponnese from naval invasion. Unfortunately Lycurgus would die and Alaxandros was crowned as king of Sparta.

*these battles were auto-calced.

I'll try to add something to my write-up tomorrow. Lycurgus's death letter if you will.

It's 0200 here.

dessa14
07-26-2004, 11:29
far too many rules for me