PDA

View Full Version : Chronicle of a Spanish Empire

The_Emperor
07-16-2004, 09:02
I thought it would be a good idea to create a thread for write ups for the Rise of a Spanish Empire PBEM.

I will copy all of the existing write ups that have been done so far into here.

Please leave comments in the main PBEM thread.

The_Emperor
07-16-2004, 09:41
The Reign of King Alfonso VI (Played by Xiahou Liao)

King Alfonso VI (http://www.freewebs.com/xiahou_liao/kingalfonso.jpg)
1087 - This morning I awoke feeling renewed. I moved out of my bed and hurried into my best clothes and moved to my opened balcony. I looked over my lands, my spanish lands. The dream I had last night...it was strange, as if something had told me to create an Empire. It was then I noticed on the edges of my lands, there were nothing keeping from refugees and others to pass into my land without permission So I ordered the building of Border Watch Towers after turning to my Advisor. Ah yes...that dream has given me the ideal to forge an Empire out of this chaotic world. With my military realtively small and with potential enemies on all fronts, to pierce the first set of tapestry for my Empire...I will have to garrison my Kingdom, and increase my troop's strength.
1088 - I have increased my military by banding together Urban Militia and a unit of Jinetes. I have sent an emissary south towards The Almohads...I have a grudge from them when I was a child...However, I sent my only mature daughter in towards Il De France.
1089 - More Jinetes were rounded together as I continue development of my Kingdom. News that a piece of the True Cross has been found and stored in Il de France has reached me. It is a lucky omen for the French, and they are currently keeping it in their paris Cathedral. My first son, Alfonso, has matured this year. After continious watch over him, I have picked up that he has a drinking problem...I'll have to sort this out if he wishes to be king after me...
1090 - Good news I have another son. My wife had just gave him birth today. I sure hope he is better than his oldest brother, Alfonso...There is nothing wrong with Alfonso...It's his drinking that is effecting his effectiveness...Maybe I should do something about it?
1091 - Bad news for this year...First, reports that the German treasury is the largest in the land has disheartened some of my nobles. Second, a famine broke out in Leon, and now I will only receive half of my needed florins. However, good news hides around the corner of bad news...I have another son born from my wife today.
1092 - Curses A curse has been placed upon me Two famines in two years Both my provinces struck now...Gah However, again good news is around the corner The Holy Roman Empire has sent their princess asking for an alliance. Perhaps I should have one of my single sons court her? But wait The Polish have sent their Princess Swatana asking for a marriage...However it would cause me to break off the alliance with the Holy Roman Empire. I'm sorry, but I can't not do that. is what I told my son, and refused the marriage. A few days later, my wife has given birth to my third daughter.
1093 - Apparantly, I have received warnings from unknown sources of unloyal Generals....ontop of that, The English have weapons and other workings that are unheard of anywhere else. It took four years but I did it, the improved farmland is complete in Leon and Castile. But unfortunately, another famine occured in Leon. Gah Damn these famines The Holy Roman Emperor has refused my son's hand in marriage to his Daughter, Jutta. Oh well...There is also the Aragon princess...
1094 - Ah, Sancho turns sixteen this year...So far he seems to be preforming better than his Eldest brother. The pope spoke today...He has declared he wants to holy land to return to Christ, Jerusalem...besides that there is yet another Famine striking Castile. I believe there is something against me, an omen perhaps...As for Sancho, he is a natural leader...but reports to me have caught him speaking to the wall, petting invisible creatures, and killing invisible enemies...He indeed is strange.

Battle of Navarre Results (http://www.freewebs.com/xiahou_liao/Alfonsobattle.jpg)
1095 - I gave those Rebels a chance in Navarre...They refused to succumb to my might. So I made them pay. I lead my forces into Navarre personally to see to it that each rebel was beheaded publicaly, and then their corpses impaled on sticks to show others to not even dare to come forth against my Spanish Army. A man by the name of Peter the Hermit has started a Peasant Crusade in Il De France. Ha Don't make me laugh...Finally Good news has shined it's light upon the Spanish Kingdom. The French have offered their daughter in marriage of my son, the wedding is to take place immediately. More good news My wife has given birth to yet another daughter. Note: V&V gained: Scant Mercy, +1 Dread.
1096 - Ah, not much this year...Border Watch Towers in Navarre has been built. Otherwise peace in the land has been sustained this year. Not to mention that my eldest daughter is married to the prince of England, and my eldest son is married to the princess of France. Ha, a family alliance has began
1097 - A goal To surpass the Holy Roman Empire's military might has set my mind. It is said they have the strongest army so far in the world...They haven't seen the Spanish Kingdom's might yet then...Bah A famine has occured in Leon this year, right when the Leon port was finished. I have allied with Byzantium this year, it was a few months before the birth of yet another Daughter.
1098 - This year has been a quiet year so far. Famine has struck in Leon once more. I accepted an alliance with the Aragonese. I fear that my age is weakening my health. I am Fourty-Three this year and my wife has spoken to me...She pointed out that recently, I've been more violent and stressed than usual. Is this true? Is old age getting the better of me?
1099 - There is an Omen against me from God. Famine in all of my provinces, how could this be? Damn him Damn you God Why have you done this to us What have we done in the eyes of you, that you disapprove of? ...I'm sorry my lord, I did not mean to speak to you in such a way. Forgive me.
1100 - Castile suffers from a Famine again this year, what a bad year At the turn of the century....
1101 - The Byzantines now have more technological power than the English. Who cares? I'm going to die soon, and I have only began to break through the tapestry...Oh god help me. My closest ally...has died of an illness today, the King of Aragon. Morning throughout Aragon and Spain are being practice as I write this. I had refused an Alliance with the Italians, The Byzantines seem more important at this moment. Another son is born as well...The French and Holy Roman Empire have declared war on each other, and I chose to stay allied with realitives by marriage...
1102 - It is time...War with the Almohads is inevitable...The Almohads will fall under the Spanish blade. I'm leading my veteran troops personally into the Enemy territory, in hopes to split them through the middle. Ha The Almohads have retreated from my Army's might. In Portugal there was a Rebellion against Musilm presence, and now they're stuck to fight off the rebels or my army. Fortune has looked upon the Spanish Army finally Bad news for the Italians. The Italian Doge has died of an Illness...The Italians and their allies have began to mourn their loss. The Prince of Novgorod has sent me a message, he has informed me of the recent outbreaks between the Almohads and I, he wishes to remain allied to me. The Aragonese, English, and Byzantines have brought me the same message.
1103 - We began to seige on the Cordoba Keep. Many of their men were struck down violently, but we have lost a good amount as well, however, It is about to fall. Otherwise, the year has been a stable year...and I feel that I may be coming to my end soon. I must hurry and at least conquer this region

Knighthood (http://www.freewebs.com/xiahou_liao/Alfonsoknighthood.jpg)
1104 - Finally Victory is mine Cordoba has fallen...and all within will be executed I will line them up on their knees, with their hands tied together behind their backs. Crossbow men will fire into their stomachs and then The swords of the Spainards will remove their heads from their necks In other occurances. This thing called Knighthood has been formed, and has rapidly increased in popularity. Thus, I am allowing my men to take after it's code of honor. Ah yes, another good year I suppose, another son of mine has been born.
1105 - The Almohads invaded Cordoba..and then retreated like the vile fiends they are Ha Yet another rebellion in Portugal has occured. Fernando turns sixteen this year. I feel rather old from all the children I've watched grow up...
1106 - Another rebellion in the Province in Portugal...seems as if the Almohad's presence is unbearable. I knew I was right in warring against such infidels Ugh...my head hurts, I feel as if I'm growing dizzy...I need to rest, perhaps I am sick. However, King Adam I has offered his daughter's hand in marriage to one of my sons. Garc has matured this year...Fifty one years I have been on this world...it's time for me to leave...soon.
1107 - This year, nothing special has occured. The Holy Roman Empire are the richest of all the Kingdoms, and they possess the strongest Military. It's around time for me to sleep..sleep is needed...
1108 - My son, Garc, has proposed to me that he sought the idea of taking Portugal from enemy Hands. I agreed. He has shown me excessive amounts of courage and bravery in the battlefield. His units did well...for mercenaries. Who cares? They're mercenaries They're job is to die. Ha, Ha. I am proud of Garc...if only he was my heir...perhaps I'll plan to kill the others of?
1109 - Yes Yes...reports of Sancho painting his servants blue and sucking on horse shoes disturbs me...me and many others. I think it's time for him to be gone... Ha...I need rest, I don't feel well...I'm dizzy and light headed. Damn So close to an empire
1110 - Yes Ha look at me, King Alfonso VI Ha, I have escaped death and now I feel much better I am tired, and require rest, a scratch my sickness has laid upon me But 'tis enough...ask for me tomorrow and you'll find me a grave man... Farther into this entry has been left blank due to the sudden death of King Alfonso VI from an Illness. However, before his death, he had written, and laid out a plan to kill off his Sons leading down to Garc's position to make him Heir. This plan has not yet been exposed, and should one of the next kings decide to look within Alfonso's dairy, they will find the troubled king's notes, and plans.
King Alfonso VI's death (http://www.freewebs.com/xiahou_liao/alfonsodeath.jpg)

The_Emperor
07-16-2004, 09:44
The Reign of King Alfonso VII (Played by YAKOBU)

King Alfonso VII takes the throne at the age of 36 on the death of his father King Alfonso VI. He has 2 sons who are great warriors, Prince Fernando and Prince Garc, unlike their older brother Prince Sancho who doesn't share their command skills and has been described as crack-brained. His first duties as king are to appoint Lord Sanchez as Duke of Portugal owing to his dreaded reputation and to start building border forts in provinces were they don't currently exist. He then sets about ending the war that his father had started with the Almohads by promising his self that he would not rest until they were wiped from the face of the earth. His first step was to send Prince Fernando with a mercenary army to attack Granada. The almohads outnumbered retreated from the battlefield without contact taking place and Granada became part of the Spanish empire.

Prince Fernando and his army moved on to Morocco were they fought a battle against Prince Mohammad. Although evenly matched Prince Fernando's skill on the battlefield won the day and the remnants of the Almohad army retreated to Marrakech Castle. In this battle Prince Fernando proved his worth as a Skilled Attacker. This year saw Prince Enrique come of age but his command skills left a little to be desired.

The siege of Marrakech Castle continued this year. The King of England died and his heir took over the throne.

Marrakech Castle falls and Morroco becomes part of the Spanish empire. The Germans are ex-communicated by the pope. Building plans have to be put off due to lack of funds this year.

Prince Fernando and his army take Algeria as the Almohads retreat without a fight. The pope requests crusades against the Germans. There is famine in Cordoba and income is halved.

This is not a good year for us. There is famine in Portugal and income is halved. Building plans again have to be put off due to lack of funds. The Egyptians are hailed as the richest empire. On a good note the pope offers an alliance which we accept.

This year saw Prince Ferdinand come of age but his command skills left a little to be desired. Building plans again have to be put off due to lack of funds.

The Byzantines have unsurpassed technology. Building plans again have to be put off due to lack of funds. The Almohad Khalifah dies and his heir takes over.

Building plans again have to be put off due to lack of funds.

This year saw Prince Pedro come of age but his command skills left a little to be desired. Building plans again have to be put off due to lack of funds.

Prince Fernando and his army take Tunisia as the Almohads retreat without a fight.

Prince Fernando and his army moved on to Cyrenacia were they fought a battle against Khalifah Ali II. Although slightly outnumbered Prince Fernando's skill on the battlefield won the day and the remnants of the Almohad army retreated to Tripoli Castle. In this battle Prince Fernando proved his worth as an Expert Attacker. Building plans again have to be put off due to lack of funds. One of our emmissiaries was assassinated this year and the culprit as yet has not been found. The Byzantines currently have the strongest military might.

The siege of Tripoli Castle ends as Prince Fernando storms the castle and the Almohads are wiped from the face of the earth as promised. Unfortunately in the siege Prince Sancho who was heir to the throne was killed. In many quarters this was seen as a good thing as he lacked the necessary skills to be king. There is famine in Portugal and income is halved. Building plans again have to be put off due to lack of funds.

Building plans again have to be put off due to lack of funds.

Building plans again have to be put off due to lack of funds. The king is blessed with a daghter this year.

The Byzantines have unsurpassed technology.

In order to build up the Spanish empire the mercenary army of Prince Fernando is disbanded and replaced with national units.

King Alfonso VII has proved his self to be a Magnificent Builder and the loyalty and happiness within the Spanish kingdom grows.

King Alfonso VII's thoughts now turn to the north. The Aragonese armies have been growing and threaten our 3 province border. The king would like to see this border reduced to enable it to be defended easily. He sends his heir Prince Enrique to attack Valencia. Although not a strong commander Prince Enrique beats the Aragonese army through superior numbers. The Aragonse Prince Garc is killed in the battle and the remnants of his army retreat to their small fort. For our attack on the Aragonese we get a warning from the pope and our alliances with the Sicilians, Novgorod, Byzantines and the Papacy are cancelled.

Prince Enrique after his victory in Valencia leads the attack on Aragon. Although outnumbering the Aragonese his weaknesses in command are highlighted and he is soundly beaten by King Sanchez. In the heat of battle he is captured and a ransom is not paid. This does not go down well with the rest of the royal family but King Alfonso VII did not want such a weak son succeeding him to the throne. He was now proud to see that he would be succeeded by Prince Fernando who had wiped out the Almohads and proved his worth in battle time and again.

The fort in Valencia falls after we repulsed a relieving army, and it becomes part of the Spanish empire. The king of England declines our request to marry his daughter to Prince Fernando. King Alfonso VII dies and Prince Fernando becomes King Fernando II at the age of 41.

Tricky Lady
07-16-2004, 17:03
Why do good times never last?

King Fernando II of the Spanish gazes indifferently through the window of his summer castle. In the valley below the sound of the horns indicate that the hunting is over. His son Ferdinand and his company will undoubtedly return with a few freshly shot boars.

Fernando smiles wearily when he recalls that merely one year ago this castle and the lands up north still belonged to King Juan of Aragon. Stupid Juan. Fernando had tried to avoid a war with the patheticly small Mediterranean kingdom. The Aragonese Lord should have known that he could keep his power in that small piece of not so fertile land just because he was the Spanish King's great-great-nephew, and, more important even, because his army consisted of only a thousand badly trained spearmen, a few archers and some old and rusty knights. But Juan refused to admit these facts and was desparate to prove the contrary. Many times war could be avoided but that day (it was spring 1143, Fernando did remember this very well), mercenaries, who were surely paid by the Aragonese king, raided and ransacked many Spanish border towns. This would probably only have been a sidenote in one of the steward's reports, if the king's grandson, infante Fernando, a future King of Spain, were not to be killed in one of these raids. Fernando secretly admitted that the main responsible for this tragic event was the infante's protector, Lord Díaz Velázquez (who was beheaded shortly afterwards), but he could not deny this great opportunity to declare war on the Araganese and get rid for once and for good of this far relative who proved to become a greater nuisance every day.

***** to be continued ******

The_Emperor
07-16-2004, 18:16
The reign of King Ferdinand I

1145AD

Council and Reward

It was late evening, the sun was setting as the Spanish lords arrived at the Castle in Castile. Don Reinaldos de Villena rode into the central courtyard where a goup of men were waiting.

The Great general lead his depleted guard of knights up to the men who took the reigns of his steed. “Don Reinaldos the king is awaiting your arrival in the main hall”
Don Reinaldos nodded to his five companions and they swiftly dismounted. He turned to his men and they walked inside.

As he arrived through the doorway he was greeted by one of the Kings men of Arms, standing tall in his mailed armour with his sword by his side. “Hail Don Reinaldos, if you and your companions would follow me to the Kings hall”.

The six men walked down the stone hallway behind the man at arms, the King’s colours were draped on the walls beside them, the yellow with the blood red immovable castle. It pretty much symbolised the Spanish Spirit, strong to defend against all comers through the blood of their own sacrifices…Against The Moors and the Aragonese.

They approached the entrance to the great hall and the man at Arms opened the door. Inside the Noble lords of Spain were gathered around the great table, drinking and exchanging stories of their deeds. When they caught notice of him the talking quickly died down. They knew of his uncanny abilities on the battlefield and he knew as well of the envy the other lords felt towards him at his past accomplishments.

Don Reinaldos took his prepared seat at the table at the right hand of the King’s vacant chair… No doubt King Ferdinand had done this deliberately to show his favor to him, and Don Reinaldos smiled at that fact.

A royal aide rushed into the room, “My lords he approaches, all hail King Ferdinand of Spain”.

The 44 year old King entered the room, with Princess Dulce by his side. She caught sight of Don Reinaldos and smiled warmly, as the King sat down beside him.

“I thank you all for coming my generals and lords there are some matters we need to discuss” A map of Spanish territory was rolled out across the table and the king continued…
“As you can see, we have conquered much from our enemies, Portugal has been pacified, Southern Spain is Christian once again, and our infidel Almohad enemies are now slaves to our will in their former homelands of North Africa…”

He pointed to Aragon “The rebels of Barcelona Castle, remains besieged at the moment by the forces of Don Diego Mendoza, and there lies our last pocket of resistance to reunification of our homeland. However he assured me that it will fall within the next couple of years and I have promised to hire him some Mercenaries to see that it is done.”
Don Reinaldos studied the map in detail and it also showed the borders with France and Egypt.

The King continued, “We need more troops, but we cannot pay and feed our men without a solid revenue, there fore I wish for us to construct a Navy that can adequately trade with other lands… Also we can better support our holdings in north Africa this way.”

Lord de Escobado of Tunisia turned to the King, “My Lord several Gold Seams have been discovered in my holdings, which remain untapped, I request that work begins on a new Gold Mine in the region”

“Very well lord Escobado, I will order the construction of a new mine in your region. In addition to this our Gold Mine in Morocco will also be enlarged, I am sure lord Ferrer would approve of this matter, he is currently in Cyranacia guarding against any possible attacks from the Egyptian infidels, but I shall send word to him”

“Regarding our fighting men Sire, they need better equipment. At the moment all we are holding back your enemies with are some lightly equipped Spearmen, Javeliners and Militia. They are not equipped with mail and sword like your new Men of Arms here in Castile.”

The king though it over and quickly glanced at a scroll on the table beside him as he thought over the numbers… After a couple of minutes he looked satisfied and put the scroll away.

“We have enough money to make this a reality, the necessary preparations shall be made and our armies shall have skilled Men of Arms and the best armoured Militia… Construction will also begin on new stone fortifications”

The King stood up having concluded his laying out his plans “Now we move onto other business… As I am sure most of you have heard, I have removed Lord de Padilla from his position and stripped him of his title of governorship of castile. His continued Disloyalty could be tolerated no longer.”

“I hereby grant the title of Duke of Castile to Don Reinaldos de Villena with all the rights and privaliges thereof…”

Reinaldos was surprised and bowed before his King, “Thank you, sire”. “Now Arise Lord de Villena, Duke of Castile”

The meeting was over and the other generals and lords began to depart, Lord de Villena was talking with the remaining generals and again caught sight of Princess Dulce. The king smiled at the way they greeted each other and knew exactly their feelings for each other.

When their conversation was over the king approached, “Lord de Villena, I noticed your bodyguard seems somewhat diminished. Head over to the training grounds in the Royal palace and they will provide you with a fine selection of knights from which you can choose your new guard… When you return I have a proposal I want you to consider.”

Lord de Villena of Castile bowed before the king and with a wave of his hand his trusty men approached and followed him out down the hall…

As he left the King turned to Princess Dulce, He is an honourable man, I would be happy for you both to marry.

The_Emperor
07-16-2004, 23:06
The Reign of King Ferdinand I

1160AD
The lure of the Holy Sepulchre.

It was late at night and the aging king stared out across the land from the battlements.

It was a picturesque sight. The night was clear with the stars shining brightly, the old King smiled looking up at them… He could see for miles around, as the moon was high and shining brightly, casting a silver glow on all the landscape.

Men at Arms patrolled the battlements carrying flaming torches, the King smiled at this, for it was clear enough to see without them.

King Ferdinand looked out at the camp of troops in the distance… The army that would soon venture forth to distant shores.

The king contemplated on what was about to change… It had been a time of peace and rapid growth. All over Spain and North Africa buildings had been erected and settlements expanded. His efforts had provided all people from the Humble peasantry to the Nobility with a better quality of life, trade was good and ever since the navy was built, goods had been arriving from As far away as Denmark, Tripoli and Venice.

The king’s moment of quiet contemplation came to an end when a sentry cried out “Lord de Villena approaches, Raise the portcullis”

As he watched the great general ride into the central keep area and dismount. A voice spoke behind him.

“It is not wise to be out here this late and in your condition”

The king turned to his son Prince Felipe whom he had not heard approach standing there. “I already get enough of that talk from your mother But of course being King you can always ignore such sugguestions.”

The twenty seven year old heir stepped forward beside his father and looked out at the camp of troops in the valley. “So it is true then, you are planning a campaign, after all you wouldn’t have summoned all these fighting troops and your best general for nothing”.

The King coughed deeply as his illness once again let him know that it was still there… “Son, when I came to rule I had always longed to lead my armies to the East and towards Jerusalem. The Egyptian Arabs control that area and we didn’t have the strength to meet those infidels in battle, only now after all this time are we strong enough to truly triumph”

“It has not been easy to keep our armies inactive for this long, but we needed armour and warriors to help us reclaim the Holy Sepulchre from the infidels. Duty required that I preside over the longest period of peace we have ever known, but it is not something I would have wished for...

Now that our time has come I have ordered a crusade into Egypt to pave the way for us to invade Palestine and recapture Jerusalem”

The Prince was moved by his father’s determination; inside his chest beat the heart of a warrior, denied by duty and love of his country to help make Spain strong from within…

“Son, I know that my time is running out and that the Lord will call me too him, even if I do not live to see the recapture of Jerusalem I will be glad to have seen the initial stages of the campaign… So I can face my maker confident that I did all I could, and that you will see this campaign through.”

The prince nodded in agreement as a slight breeze picked up. “I think it is time to head inside, no doubt Lord de Villena is waiting for us now.”

The Crusade would set sail within days.

The_Emperor
07-22-2004, 18:16
Placeholder for final part

ThijsP
07-25-2004, 16:18
Wont be able to wright anything but anyway

Place holder