PDA

View Full Version : Arcanum

dessa14
07-17-2004, 11:00
Arcanum, my favorite RPG. the only RPG i managed to actually like.

it really does kick butt, it immerses you in a great storyline and you can choose your own way through the game.

possibly the best storyline of any RPG ive played.

post your opinions and such here

thanks,
dessa

Efrem Da King
07-17-2004, 12:04
I have it... I've never really got into it....

THen again, I only got into morrowind about year after a got it. So I may come back to it.

Phatose
07-17-2004, 12:08
Good setting, decently done NPCs, pretty good voice acting, a large and immersive world. An acceptable story, though I wouldn't put it as the greatest. A few interesting gameplay ideas - training was a good idea more RPGs should steal, and fate points were pretty cool. The whole tech/magic thing was pretty interesting too, though I really think there should've been a lot more found schematics which both required things made from learned schematics and which were actually useful. Too many of the tech gizmos, especially in the gunsmithy catergory, were either useless or simply outmatched. It's kinda sad that my highly magical half elf swordman could build the best tech gun and the best tech melee weapon with little more the a bit of part scavenging, a few manuals and a little bottle of essence of intellect.

Overall though, everything outside of combat was pretty good. The combat system was just broken though. Real time combat was unplayable and should honestly have just been removed. Turn based combat was desperately in need of balancing.

dessa14
07-17-2004, 12:11
real time combat worked fine for me.
thanks,
dessa

Phatose
07-17-2004, 12:14
You were capable of controlling a party of 5 in a hard battle (say, stringy pete's pirates) at a high level in RTC? You must have some reflexes then, because the game simply moved at too fast a pace for me to even consider it.

Navaros
07-17-2004, 13:45
never played it cuz i heard it has almost zero voice-acting and IMO that is unacceptable for a game released in the year that Arcanum was released in

next time tell them to stop skimping on the voice actor budget, then i might play their next RPG

dessa14
07-17-2004, 14:14
you gotta remember the game was produced by a small company and this was their first game.
their publisher sierra should have filled in the gaps though.
and there is also about a 1000 characters in the game at least.

thanks,
dessa

Phatose
07-18-2004, 06:43
Considering the sheer quanitity of people you can talk to and the sheer number of things that can be said, attempting to voice act everything would've either required cutting the in game dialogue down to console rpg level bare minimum, or charge $200 for the game.

Almost zero is incorrect too. There's plenty of spoken dialogue.

Efrem Da King
07-18-2004, 07:12
From what I've played masses of it.

dessa14
07-18-2004, 08:27
my freind and i had a competition over who could win, a mage or a techie.
i was a mage, he was a techie.
i wasn't allowed to disintergrate, except on his robots.

pretty funny though.
he had a tesla coil which kept misfiring and my weaker spells did nothing.
thanks,
dessa