PDA

View Full Version : just one preblem is this great mod

scooter_the_shooter
07-23-2004, 03:14
i am not ciritizzing yout mod i LOVE IT IT IS DA BEST I HAVE EVER SEEN https://forums.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/bigthumb.gif one problem i can see doing this with some units like spartan hoplites but it looks like most of your units take 2 or more years to train https://forums.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/gc-anxious.gif just wondering why did you choose to do this not cirtizising the mod i LOVE IT do you care if i change this ( just for my self i wont put it up for download or nothing)

komninos
07-23-2004, 08:24
The reason is realism. Most hoplites passed two years intensive training and then two (18 – 20 year old) more years as home guard (not front line units). After that they entered the Hoplite lines of there city. This gives a training period of 4 years Spartans passed a continues training cycle that started at 7 and finished at 20 (I think) when they paraded in front of the city then they took the Shields with the known emblem and entered service for the city where they remained for 10 more years. After that they entered the ranks of the Homi-i and they were allowed to use there family shield. This would give a training of more than 8 years so I decided to cut the time in half. So 2 yeas for all hoplites and 3 - 4 years for Spartans and Thebian.

Despot of the English
07-23-2004, 10:18
Also the other thing is that Hoplites are very good troops and churning them out each year would unbalance the game a bit. Just imagine training a horde of Varangian Guards every year in MTW https://forums.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/eek.gif .

scooter_the_shooter
07-23-2004, 17:11
thanks for the answer just wondering

thirchak18
08-15-2004, 02:44
I actually have noticed a few problems with the mod. While its great, and it even offers a challenge on easy, there are a few things that make the game too hard.

My only problems come from battles.

1) When trying to form the hoplites in a line, the units are spread too far apart. I get unites formed up in a box with huge spaces in between each other. Completely destroys the idea of a solid line of impenetrable hoplites.

2) My Army always starts off in the middle of a forest. It makes it impossible to form a line and if i try and move to an open field i get attacked long before i can move into position.

3) You can't out flank units. hitting them from behind or fromt he sides doesn't really seem to do anything special. I dont' know if its just cause they're hoplites or for some other reason, but my battles basically come down to who has more troops. Either that or i jsut suck, which is really possible.

Now please dont' get pissed at me for saying these things. I love playing your mod and i hope i can continue to play it for a lot longer, i just wanted to bring a couple of problems i'm having to light.

Oh and what year does the early campaign end? And what year do the Spartan and faction specific hoplites become available?

Byzantine Prince
08-15-2004, 03:53
"1) When trying to form the hoplites in a line, the units are spread too far apart. I get unites formed up in a box with huge spaces in between each other. Completely destroys the idea of a solid line of impenetrable hoplites."

Yea but there's really nothing anyone can do about that. Its just the game is like that.

"2) My Army always starts off in the middle of a forest. It makes it impossible to form a line and if i try and move to an open field i get attacked long before i can move into position."

You just suck man(no offence), I really don't have that problem. You just have to spread tehm out in groups.

"3) You can't out flank units. hitting them from behind or fromt he sides doesn't really seem to do anything special. I dont' know if its just cause they're hoplites or for some other reason, but my battles basically come down to who has more troops. Either that or i jsut suck, which is really possible."

Actually hitting flanks does a lot of damage initially and then it decentralizes the onomoteia core so the force is at least halfed. I know its not like Medieval but hey Medieaval is even more unrealistic.

I just think you just need more practice man, don't worry you'll get better. ~:cheers:

Anyways back to myproblems from the game is that there's waaaay to many units. Also the hoplites are too powerful and archers are practically useless.

Lord Zimoa of Flanders
08-15-2004, 08:40
The answer on your first two Q's this is caused by the A1 so nothing we can do about it.

Last Q depending on who you are playing use lighter units or cavalry for outflanking(Peltasts,Companions,Scythic Warband),Hoplites are to heavy and to slow for this.

LZoF

Ldvs
08-18-2004, 11:14
i am not ciritizzing yout mod i LOVE IT IT IS DA BEST I HAVE EVER SEEN https://forums.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/bigthumb.gif one problem i can see doing this with some units like spartan hoplites but it looks like most of your units take 2 or more years to train https://forums.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/gc-anxious.gif just wondering why did you choose to do this not cirtizising the mod i LOVE IT do you care if i change this ( just for my self i wont put it up for download or nothing)

Don't forget both Spartans and Thebian bands can be trained in two provinces (only one for Argians and Atheneans) so it counterbalance the 3 years : in 6 years you train 4 Spartans while you can only get 3 Atheneans.

I noticed some provinces can get weapon upgrades even though there are no iron deposits (Illyrikon, Aeniania and Lacedaemonia to be exact). Are they considered like "bonus" provinces ?

Red Harvest
08-21-2004, 01:38
Yes, I've also noticed a few provinces have metalsmith upgrades, but without iron listed. I wondered for awhile if copper bearing provinces would allow metalsmith upgrades, since this was the Bronze Age...

Ldvs
08-21-2004, 13:12
Yes, I've also noticed a few provinces have metalsmith upgrades, but without iron listed. I wondered for awhile if copper bearing provinces would allow metalsmith upgrades, since this was the Bronze Age...

I think you found out the reason, it's definitely the copper that allows metalsmith (copper is in the 3 provinces i named above and not anywhere else).

PseRamesses
08-21-2004, 17:48
1) When trying to form the hoplites in a line, the units are spread too far apart. I get unites formed up in a box with huge spaces in between each other. Completely destroys the idea of a solid line of impenetrable hoplites.

Since I´m a bit stubborn I actually found a solution to this prob.
First when you click an drag most of the times nothing happens, only the "movement-arrow" in the units box appears. Then click and drag the selected units again. Now they are wide apart like you described. Click and drag them again and they should be close.

I think this is a problem caused by the original "colums-foramtion" in the beginning of each battle. I´ve already adressed the HTW-crew regarding this and they are looking in to this. IMHO the Sparrabas etc formation should be used, atleast for "early".

Pericles
08-22-2004, 16:59
Hi :)

Great Mod.

I do have two problems though:

1) The Persian Wars Campaign - This is a great idea. However, the Greeks have far too many units and money. Also, the Greeks use the Athenian "Blue" while still using the Spartan "red shield". The two colours look odd together.

With the current force deployment, nobody stands a chance against the Greeks. In particular, the Spartan Hoplites own the battlefield. And there are far too many of them to start with.

I am a great believer in "less is more". In this campaign, I think the Greeks should start with about 25% of current forces and money. Also, the Spartan Hoplite should be expensive and take a long time to produce.

When I play as the Greeks I want to be challenged. However, as it stands, there is no challenge and there is no need to use tactics against enemies.

I think, with the above changes, this will be a great campaign.

2) Sometimes, when I get the pre-deploy screen before a battle, the screen freezes, and then I get a crash to desktop. This has occurred several times when I played as the Persians against the Lydians. I hope this can be fixed.

Again, great work, fellas :)

Cheers!

Ldvs
08-22-2004, 18:12
Hi :)

Great Mod.

I do have two problems though:

1) The Persian Wars Campaign - This is a great idea. However, the Greeks have far too many units and money. Also, the Greeks use the Athenian "Blue" while still using the Spartan "red shield". The two colours look odd together.

With the current force deployment, nobody stands a chance against the Greeks. In particular, the Spartan Hoplites own the battlefield. And there are far too many of them to start with.

I am a great believer in "less is more". In this campaign, I think the Greeks should start with about 25% of current forces and money. Also, the Spartan Hoplite should be expensive and take a long time to produce.

When I play as the Greeks I want to be challenged. However, as it stands, there is no challenge and there is no need to use tactics against enemies.

I think, with the above changes, this will be a great campaign.

Cheers!

I agree with you on that point, in my campaign both the Greeks and the Persians are toying with numerous stacks (46 in one province, record hold by the Persians).

Could you start a new thread "Persian wars" so that the comments will be in the same topic (if you're wondering why i don't do it myself, it's because i simply can't ...)

LZoF you could also create a new sticky instead of a simple thread.

Pericles
08-22-2004, 22:23
I agree with you on that point, in my campaign both the Greeks and the Persians are toying with numerous stacks (46 in one province, record hold by the Persians).

Could you start a new thread "Persian wars" so that the comments will be in the same topic (if you're wondering why i don't do it myself, it's because i simply can't ...)

LZoF you could also create a new sticky instead of a simple thread.

Heheh

I was going to start a new thread, but I can't either ~;)

If the Greeks start the Persian Wars Campaign with greatly reduced starting forces and money, and if certain hoplites such as the Spartans and Companions are made more expensive and/or take longer to produce, then this will be a very fine addition to the HTW Mod.

In particular I like to agonize over the type of forces I can afford to deploy. Also, I like to build up my provinces.

Since the Persians and Greeks are not at war when the campaign starts, then this gives the Greeks time to build up their forces.

Cheers!