PDA

View Full Version : Recreation of the Roman Empire!

lonewolf371
07-23-2004, 09:04
Okay, I was recently reading through the Throne Room on afrit's new multifaction suggestion when suddenly I had a great idea

Quote[/b] ]It's rewarding to make small kingdoms like Sicily, and Aragon become major powers, or recreating Rome with the Byzantines etc.

Okay, so it wasn't really my idea, but here it is: recreating the Roman Empire with the Byzantines

Now obviously, you might think Hey that's easy and once I'm done you may still think Hey that's easy but hopefully we can change that.

We are going to play this PBM in the age when Byzantine units are weakest (late). The way I find it easiest to do this PBM would be if we blended two sets of rules:

1) afrit's pool idea has worked (IMO) excellent for the French Dynasty, it has been going along really well and almost no major delays have been encountered. One thread will be for recruitment, updates, etc. with a link to a write-up thread.

2) Coldstream's original ideas for a HTW Spartan campaign with the objective in mind being to use history to make a PBM more difficult.

Now done with that, here are the rules I propose to do this campaign.

1) Expansion
The following territories must be conquered by the end of the game: Northumbria, Wessex, Flanders, Normandy, Brittany, Lorraine, Champagne, Ile de France, Anjou, Aquitaine, Burgundy, Toulouse, Provence, Navarre, Aragon, Leon, Castile, Portugal, Valencia, Cordoba, Granada, Morrocco, Algeria, Tunisia, Cyrenacia, Milan, Genoa, Tyrolia, Venice, Tuscany, the Papal States, Rome, Naples, Corsica, Sardinia, Sicily, Malta, Croatia, Serbia, Bulgaria, Greece, Constantinople, Nicaea, Crete, Egypt, Rhodes, Cyprus, Trebizond, Anatolia, Rum, Lesser Armenia, Georgia, Armenia, Antioch, Edessa, Syria, Tripoli, Palestine, Sinai, Carpathia, Wallachia.
(If anyone has any additions/subtractions please post)

Obviously this would be an attempt to recreate the empire of Trajan, it took 700 years for the Romans to build it, we shall build it in 100

Not only that, but the Romans rarely conquered land outside of their general boundaries. You know what that means? That's right You are not allowed to move anything so much as a peasant to conquer any territories aside from those listed Victory in this game will be judged on the rules in this thread, not game requirements.

That also means that if the Holy Roman Empire has conquered the rest of the map and attacks you every single year, you are not allowed to go out and take out the annoying pest

2) Government
The Romans had a very efficient form of government, therefore every single government building (i.e. Chancellory, Admiralty, etc.) must be completed in Constantinople. This includes colleges and acadamies.

3) Taxes
Often during Roman times, high taxes were a source of discontent among laborers and peasants. Therefore, every province owned by us has to have its taxes set to very high. Even if you're still besieging the castle. https://forums.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/eek.gif Bet you didn't see that one coming eh?

4) Glory of Rome
Simple: A fortress must be completed in Rome.

5) Mediterranean and Black Seas
During Roman times, complete dominance was held over the Mediterranean in Black Seas. Therefore, there must not be a single ship owned by any faction other than the Byzantines (us) within either sea. In addition, a port must be completed for every province bordering either one (including straits of Gibraltar).

P.S: Obviously this does not include deep sea zones, as no Byzantine ship can go there.

6) Glorious Acheivements
This will be a GA game, after all, our main GA will be restoration of the Roman Empire However, should any others come up during our reign (I've never played late Byz before) they must be completed during their alotted time.

7) Themes
During the Byzantine empire, a system of themes was employed to standardize troop production. We will simulate this with the following:
Master Spearmaker - Greece
Master Shipbuilder - Nicaea
Master Horsebreeder - Anatolia
Master Bowyer - Trebizond
Master Armourer - Constantinople
Master Swordsmith - Lesser Armenia

8) Italian Farming
Like most ancient empires, fertile areas of Rome were often heavily exploited to provide food for its people. The following must be completed: +80% farming in the following provinces: Genoa, Milan, Venice, Tuscany, the Papal States, Rome, Naples, and Sicily.

If you have any ideas, corrections, or suggestions, please speak up

The game will begin once we have the availability and consent of at least 3 people. Once that is done, I will start a write-up thread and post the link here. Finally, this will be played with VI, 2.01.

EDIT: On the second thought, I really would like to get this moving, so from now on I'd be willing to start with 3 people and allow others to join later.

afrit
07-24-2004, 08:51
lonewolf,
count me in

Couple of comments:

IIRC, the empire of Trajan included Dacia (=Wallachia & Carpathia) as well. Your list is closer to the empire of Augustus.

Rule 3: I thought you did not get any taxes from a province until you conquer the castle, so setting the taxes on high even when besieging is impossible. Also, I play with auto-tax on, so I will have to garrison everything in such a way to make taxes high. IMO, taxes is a personal player choice and I would drop that rule. (It is also hard to enforce)

Rule 2: government. Is there time to build ALL buildings in constantinople. Even if you build non-stop I think there are not enough years to complete everything before the game is done. We should count and check.

Rule 8: Italian farming. Hmm. 80% farming in Rome and Papal states means you have to hold them for a long time. I think you will end up fighting the Pope's reemergence a lot. Did you really intend that? I know you are trying to make it challenging, but this one may well be impossible

otherwise, great set of rules. And thanks for the credit on the pool idea. I can play once French Dynasty turn is over.

afrit

lonewolf371
07-24-2004, 10:00
Well I added the very high tax thing to force us to garrison provinces for some time after we conquer them, if we did it with auto tax we could just belly-up down to the crusader provinces and get tons and tons of trade, then just conquer all the provinces in 10 years towards the end. You are very true that no income is gained until you take the castle, but tax values can still be set during the siege.

It wouldn't be quite as hard as you think in some areas. Overall counting the two you added, we have roughly 50-55 provinces to conquer and about 120 years to do it. That's about 2 years a province, which towards the end should make it fairly easy.

But if you really want me to take them off, I can still do that.

The government buildings in Constantinople is actually rather easy. Starting in late expert, most of them are already completed. The ones that we don't have done I believe take 6-12 years each to build (I think there is 3, the acadamy, college of surgeons, and something else). The master buildings will be the most time-consuming, we will have to overrun the nearby rebel provinces quickly to build up to that.

+80% as well would be difficult considering the time span, however if we conquer and mantain Italy about 40-50 years before the game ends, we should have more than enough time. The Papacy may decide to be a b****, but most times the old foggey decides to build up his farms anyway, thus helping us with our goals.

In terms of strategy, I think we should probably start out by blitzing the old Byzantine Empire as soon as possible, bribing the larger armies if we have the money and conquering those we can't bribe. Once done with that, if we manage to take the crusader provinces in good time any and all financial troubles will evaporate. Then all we have to do is build up the fleet, build up the army, and build up just about everything else. https://forums.totalwar.org/forum/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif Then the world should be ours.

In hindsight, this PBM if it starts shouldn't last much longer than any other PBM (120 years or so). If you read the many others done so far, you find that the entire world is almost always dominated by the late 1100's and conquered by the early 1200's. This way, we hope to invoke many curses before we finish

I do understand that some of these may seem a little hard, we could possibly take the difficulty setting down to hard and keep all the rules the same.

BTW afrit, I'm glad you replied. I saw 35 views and no posts earlier and thought aw gawd I'm gonna have to do it myself.