PDA

View Full Version : Formatting problem

Louis de la Ferte Ste Colombe
08-03-2004, 12:39
Looks like some of the code has changed and some of the formating effect are not working as designed anymore (well, not working at all....).

Do we need to reformat some of the past post when need be, or will that be solved?

Louis,

Admin
08-03-2004, 13:00
Hello Louis de la Ferte Ste Colombe,

Formatting is quite different from Ikonboard. The convertor took care of some. Some common one were stripped by a tool, didn't realize that that code was for exclamation marks ~:(, so it's just blank instead of ! now. "

The code for say the [spoil ] tag is too different. I was afraid that it would break something if the script had a go at that, so that will be changed manually.

Quote. This board does not quote quoted quotes quoted by quoting quoters. Quoting a post that contains a quote, just puts the new content in a new quote and skips the quote.

I haven't investigated the rest of the bb code yet, but it's pretty easy to add new bb code. Perhaps some code works differently? Check the bb code helpcard?

Admin
08-03-2004, 13:24
The [img ] tag was disabled for signatures, meaning that no-one could see them :(
It's enabled now.

Please update your signature and strip HTML code. < anything > is HTML code and [ anything ] is bb code. All your posts will look much better at once.

Thanks.

08-03-2004, 14:49
Ok, so I guess it means rewriting some critical posts.

BTW, lot of sticky seems to be back from the grave...

Louis,

Admin
08-03-2004, 15:05
That's because of how different backups were merged together. Expect most to be unsticked soon.

Not only stickies, you'll find some very old posts here.

Rewriting. Depends. Which give a problem Louis de la Ferte Ste Colombe? I'll add 1 line to the text parser which will make some look better. And perhaps just adding another bb code will fix something, though I'm blank about what would be missing.

08-03-2004, 15:33
The post that wold need rewriting would be;

https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=23709

https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=31445

https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=31444

Mainly; color code, size code, "code" code (or table code)... Not a big deal I guess. Quite simple to review and correct. Probably not worth your time and effort.

Louis,

Admin
08-03-2004, 16:49
Thanks Louis,

Mithrandir used quite some formatting there. We'll have to do that manually. Other posts looks better now.

frogbeastegg
08-03-2004, 17:00
Another format problem: multiple spaces. Anything with multiple spaces has had them replaced by *'s, and now the board automatically removes multiple spaces.

There were 3 spaces before this; not any more.
* Old stuff turns out looking like this, with two of the three the spaces removed and an asterix added.

It's a pain; I had got used to using indents of three spaces in my story threads, since it makes the end result look more like a book, and, more importantly, easy to follow.

Admin
08-03-2004, 17:58
Thats probably how it's stored in the database now. You can tell a text parser to strip certain tags from the text, but it's not possible to add spaces at some places. Hmm, extra spaces are no longer possible?

There are ident tags now, you can even get a WYSIWYG text edit. I feel the text compose window should be bigger?

The WYSIWYG Editor only works in Internet Explorer 5.5+ on Windows and Mozilla based browsers using the 1.4 Gecko core i.e. Mozilla 1.4+, Firebird/fox 0.61+. It does not work in browsers such as Opera, Safari, or Konqueror which are commonly set to identify themselves as Internet Explorer. Also if he is using a Gecko-based browser with the user agent switching extension and identifies himself as Internet Explorer, the system will also not work. I am not sure if it works under the embedded browser in AOL either but it should as far as I can tell.

08-03-2004, 18:08
Also; any chance we get back MTW avatar? Mainly the muslim please ~:p ?

Louis,

Admin
08-03-2004, 19:06
There are some STW and RTW avatars. I'm going to give it a bit thought before uploading the MTW ones. Not about whether they should be uploaded, but how.

You'll see that there are different directories, different sets of avatars to choose from. Not only should it be easier for the user to select a specific one, it's also possible to unlock avatars based on usergroup, postcount. There are much more RTW avatars for people with 500 posts than for people having 20 posts. There seem to be other conditions as well, but I haven't figured those out yet.

The_Emperor
08-03-2004, 19:14
marvellous stuff Tosa... have a beer and a smoke on us! ~:cheers: ~:smoking: ~:wave:

frogbeastegg
08-03-2004, 22:29
Indented feature? Hmm :tries it out:

Happy little indentThat's rather too far, something like 8 spaces instead of 3, and having to rely on coding instead of hitting space three times at the beginning of each dialogue when different characters start talking, well it is a lot more work.

It's not important; it's only one tiny little thing and I am probably the only one who will notice it, so don't lose any sleep about it. I shall just have to swap to the more spaced out layout I use when cross-posting on another forum. Now I think about it that other forum is also a vbulletin board.

This WYSIWYG has a terrible name but it looks promising; looks like it functions in the same way as MS Word's tools.

A bigger window for the text would be nice if you could mange it.

Lord DeVeau
08-13-2004, 05:58
There are some STW and RTW avatars. I'm going to give it a bit thought before uploading the MTW ones. Not about whether they should be uploaded, but how.

You'll see that there are different directories, different sets of avatars to choose from. Not only should it be easier for the user to select a specific one, it's also possible to unlock avatars based on usergroup, postcount. There are much more RTW avatars for people with 500 posts than for people having 20 posts. There seem to be other conditions as well, but I haven't figured those out yet.

Yes, but where do you go to get an Avatar?

I had one before the new forum or Guild was up grated or up dated or revised. is there somewhere that I can go to get one back? The smiley faces are nice but I don't look like that?

Thank you.
Lord DeVeau

Ludens
08-15-2004, 14:30
Happy little indentThat's rather too far, something like 8 spaces instead of 3, and having to rely on coding instead of hitting space three times at the beginning of each dialogue when different characters start talking, well it is a lot more work.

It's not important; it's only one tiny little thing and I am probably the only one who will notice it, so don't lose any sleep about it.
It might be possible to get round it by using 'find and replace' to replace the triple spaces at the beginning of each paragraph with '[/3sp][3sp]'. Then you only need to remove the first [/3 sp] tag and place it at the end.

[3 sp] (Without the space between 3 and sp) is the tag for an indent of three spaces.

I have tried to demonstrate this by using the code tag, but for some reason it did not work.