PDA

View Full Version : Stickies? Drop down lists?

Kekvit Irae
08-04-2004, 02:39
I have two suggestions...

First is I really, really dislike having to click on The Dungeon and then Alchemist Lab just to get to the modding forum I inhabit. Could we go back to the drop down lists of the old forum, or does the new forum not support that?

And I really, really hate having to scroll down several pages of stickied threads just to get to the new threads. Can we move the stickies from the Alchemist Lab into a subforum called "Sticky Threads" or something similar? Keep the forum rules and such, since one or two threads I dont mind, but several pages? Please.

JAG
08-04-2004, 06:45
What is with all the old sticky threads in the tavern re-appearing? ~:confused:

Admin
08-04-2004, 11:32
Hello,

I really liked that dropdown, it's not part of this board. There are a few other missing parts, not much. The forum was quite customized, this one will be customized too. But that will take time. There are still a lot of things to be done.

Stickies.
You'll also see some duplicate topics, not many anymore as most duplos are already deleted. That is because of how this forum content was made.

Some of you'll remember that we had some more disasters with the forums in the past? There was an BB one for a few months in spring 2000-fall 2000, that whole forum is lost, together with Echelon and the other one. Then there was an UBB one and it caused serious problems on the server once it grew in size. The host powered it off and we were forced to deleted over 80% of the content, after which we had to prune. In the Ikonboard forums, the previous Guild, we prunned a bit too.

We wanted to restore as much of the content as possible, therefore we had to convert and merge various backups. A project started spring 2003 by converting old UBB to Ikonboard. After that Ikonboard backups were merged, resulting in various copies of some threads (six 1 word stories and ten new read this first please for example). Those had to be deleted. A timeconsuming proces. Plan was to either insert that into the forum or leave it in a seperate archive.

Plan was also to continue using Ikonboard and update to a new version 3.2. It's a great board after all and has good support. The forum grew beyond a limit though and was causing serious problems on the server, you've all noticed that. The problem is that it's written in PERL. Works great, but PHP is much better suited for large scale forums. So, we had to migrate soon.

Old stickies will be unsticked.

Admin
08-04-2004, 20:32
It's not a dropdownlist, but it's a standard built in feature to display subforums links.
Seems to work nicely.

Mouzafphaerre
08-05-2004, 22:24
-
Much better than the dropdown for my way of tabbed browsing. ;)
_

Duke of Gloucester
08-05-2004, 23:16
Firstly, can I say a huge thank you for all the work done to get the forum back up and running?

Secondly, could the moderators for each forum be listed on The Guild page. I can't remember where they are. No rush - this isn't important and I am sure there are more pressing issues not to say normal lives to be lived etc.

Admin
08-06-2004, 20:32
Hello Duke of Gloucester,

https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showgroups.php?
And each forum lists them at the bottom. I'll see what other options are available.

Duke of Gloucester
08-06-2004, 22:47
Thanks ~:)

Admin
08-07-2004, 01:09
It adds an extra column.