PDA

View Full Version : Creative Assembly Favourite game soundtracks

frogbeastegg
08-04-2004, 18:54
It occurs to me as I sit here listening to my Kingdom Hearts soundtrack that assorted videogame soundtracks make up about half my music collection, the rest being made up of asssorted film soundtracks and historical bits and pieces.

Favourite soundtracks include: Final Fantasy VIII and IX, Kingdom Hearts, Zelda: TOOT, Grandia I and II, MTW and STW.

Honourable mentions to certain tracks: the Japanese versions of 1,000 words and Real Emotion from FFX-2, Suteki Da Ne from FFX, the crazy Japanese song from the end of Dynasty Warriors 3, the cut Japanese song from the beginning of Tales of Symphonia, One Winged Angel from FFVII when the choir kicks in, and an assorted collection of historical tunes with nasty names from EU2.

Honourable mention for most catchy videogame music: Mystical Ninja Starring Goeman from the N64. Wish I could get a CD of that, I am still humming the music more than 5 years later!

Anyone else found themselves strangely addicted to Japanese songs? I don't even like pop music or anything with a backbeat, and yet I find myself putting them on endless loop rather frequently ~:shock:

thrashaholic
08-04-2004, 19:04
The song in the credits sequence when you complete the 'Frozen Throne Campaign' in Warcraft III. It's properly awsome!

Ser Clegane
08-04-2004, 20:26
The opening music for BG 2 and Throne of Bhaal were excellent, I also liked S:TW.

I absolutely loved the soundtrack of Fantasy General!

Big King Sanctaphrax
08-04-2004, 21:14
The Hyrule Field theme tune from ocarina of time! And Saria's song from same...

DOO-doo-doo, DOO-doo-doo...

Leet Eriksson
08-05-2004, 00:40
i like the Zelda soundtrack, oh and the Mongol/Japanese Battles music from STW/MI these are awesome.

dessa14
08-05-2004, 10:19
definatley the more nationalist music from vicky.
thanks,
dessa

Degtyarev14.5
08-05-2004, 11:59
I adored the soundtrack to the original Diablo... The sequel isn't even in the same league.

As for Victoria, well, Berlioz's Symphonie fantastique is enough to get anybody's pace running. ~:)

A.

Fragony
08-05-2004, 12:03
Definately Sacrifice, check them out

http://www.strategyplanet.com/sacrifice/music.shtml

it looks like a file not found, but just scroll down. Especially the 'James' soundtrack is pure gold.

Ironside
08-05-2004, 12:15
Two from the top of my mind.
Terrans in Starcraft BW.
Civ 3 in modern age.
STW and MTW has good ones too.

King Edward
08-05-2004, 14:56
Opening Credits to FFX and the music when Aeris died in FFVII are stick out ones for me. also like the mood music to UFO enemy unknown. there must be more but cantr think of them at the moment.

Chimpyang
08-09-2004, 15:04
Ending music for FF3 - Considering i spent AGES finishing it, it was well worth it.

Nelson
08-09-2004, 16:27
Medal of Honor and Call of Duty have great music as of course the Total Wars do. I must say though that when I hear that ANY Zelda or Final Fantasy music, I cringe. My kids played the hell out of those games and I don’t know how they could bare it.

lonewolf371
08-09-2004, 17:29
Hmm, well, I really liked the stuff they pumped into C&C, C&C Red Alert (1 and 2), Halo, MTW, and some Final Fantasy tracks are good, but not many...

Phatose
08-10-2004, 04:06
Definately Sacrifice, check them out

http://www.strategyplanet.com/sacrifice/music.shtml

it looks like a file not found, but just scroll down. Especially the 'James' soundtrack is pure gold.

I'd like to second this thought. Sacrifice really does have some great tunes. Great game too, well worth the super-cheap price it goes for these days.

Should also mention Planescape: Torment, which has some extremely well done tracks. The music in the final locale is especially fitting and well done.

Mouzafphaerre
08-17-2004, 04:04
-
Sea Dogs!:jumping:
_

Kongamato
08-17-2004, 15:45
I remember playing a demo of the Squaresoft game Einhander for the PSX a few years ago. It was a side-scrolling shooter with some great professionally made techno music. I had several of the tracks on mp3 before my last total computer crash.

Balin son of Fundin
08-19-2004, 14:04
The music in Halo, just because it fits so well with what is happening while you play... It really enhances the experience of playing the game.

Crandaeolon
08-19-2004, 17:44
No one mentioned Total Annihilation yet? The composer, Jeremy Soule, has done a lot of other good soundtracks too, including Icewind Dale, Morrowind, Neverwinter Nights and KotoR. Probably many others.

Freespace 2 had a very fitting soundtrack IMO.

And I second the guys who mentioned Sacrifice and Torment; I really like Torment's theme and some of the more experimental pieces in it.

Myth 3 (composer Zak Belica) has some great, heavy melancholic tunes. Fits the game very well in general.

Kurt Harland did a fine job with the music in Soul Reaver; Ozar Midrashim's theme is one of my all-time favs.

Lonewarrior
08-19-2004, 17:46
All the song from Final Fantasy 8 ~:0

eadeater
08-20-2004, 12:02
Personally I really like the Deus-Ex menu music (but that might be because I am obsessed with Deus-Ex) and I though that the music from the original Mortal Kombat smashed it pretty hard as well. Need for Speed Undergraound was good as well, but it began to annoy me after a few weeks.

Beirut
08-21-2004, 20:13
Janes WWII Fighters. Great music.

lonewolf371
08-22-2004, 23:08
In response to an earlier post: gotta love Mortal Kombat!

tombom
08-26-2004, 12:54
Any songs from Final Fantasy, Crusader Kings or Victoria. I also like Fallalalan from Eu2. I often sing it.

Axeknight
09-02-2004, 14:34
The end credit music to Max Payne 2. Anywhere else it would have been soppy and repetitive, but it worked so well with the ending to that game (which was fantastic, can't wait for Max 3).

And we keep driving,
Into the night,
It's a late goodbye
It's a late goodbye

Somebody Else
09-02-2004, 15:33
Hell March!!!

Ahem...

A lot of things are good - when combined with whatever they're supposed to go with...

For instance, the Morrowind music is great for just strolling around the landscape...

econ21
09-02-2004, 15:35
Definitely, System Shock 2- the adrenaline-pumping techno music that kicks in when you open the door and get attacked by your first zombies was amazing. I had to switch off the game and wait 24 hours to get the courage to go back into it.

Secret of Mana an old Squaresoft SNES RPG game also had nice music, rather SS2-ish in the penultimate boss battle too.

Fragony
09-02-2004, 17:05
Definitely, System Shock 2- the adrenaline-pumping techno music that kicks in when you open the door and get attacked by your first zombies was amazing. I had to switch off the game and wait 24 hours to get the courage to go back into it.

As much as I love System Shock 2, I didn't like the techno music, it just felt inapropiate. The more creepy music in the crew quarters and Cargo Bay-A (do I REALLY have to go there?????) fitted the theme better imvho

solypsist
09-02-2004, 18:54
the original command and conquer soundtrack had me hooked; almost pavlovian: i'd think about the song and instantly visualize hundreds of little infantry and mechanized units (with their requisite status boxes) swarming about.

Kaiser of Arabia
09-02-2004, 19:59
Goldeneye for N64. Bond is the best, though EA ruinced the series.

ah_dut
09-06-2004, 20:31
final fantasy music...

mercian billman
09-06-2004, 20:55
My favorite soundtracks would be,

FIFA 2004
MTW/VI
Hitman
GTA:Vice City

I'm probably missing a few but, this is all I can think of right now.

Navaros
09-07-2004, 03:09
best soundtracks i've ever heard:

Betrayal at Krondor
Deus Ex
Vampire: The Masquerade - Redemption
Drakan
Vice City
Mafia

i agree that Secret of Mana also had some exceptional music in it.

both NES Zelda games also had amazing music, which was much better than any of that in Zelda games for any other system

Longshanks
09-07-2004, 03:12
In no particular order...

Fallout 1 & 2
Europa Universalis II
STW
Morrowind
Hitman
GTA: Vice City
Mafia

SouthwaterPanda
09-09-2004, 21:32
Black Tiger and Sidearms.

Somebody Else
09-10-2004, 00:39
I forgot, using Barber's Adagio in Homeworld was fantastic... That beautifully sad piece of music, with occasional interruptions by fighters over the radio, screaming as they died... sublime.

Lonewarrior
09-10-2004, 03:01
FFX, FFVIII, MTW, STW, RTW????, and that's about it.

son of spam
09-17-2004, 03:59
I forgot, using Barber's Adagio in Homeworld was fantastic... That beautifully sad piece of music, with occasional interruptions by fighters over the radio, screaming as they died... sublime.

yeah, too bad HW2's soundtrack didn't match up to it. IIRC wasn't the Adagio only played during the first mothership launch sequence (ie no combat)?

Anyway my favorite is the civ 2 music tracks. I love listening to Ode to Joy and Shining Path when my horsemen spears warriors. It's even better when it's my bombers blowing up warriors ~D

DisruptorX
09-17-2004, 04:58
Final Fantasy Series, especially the battle music
Painkiller - great heavy metal
Warcraft 2- catchy neo-classical tunes

and the winner: Carmageddon 2 - Iron Maiden!!!! rock on.

Somebody Else
09-17-2004, 08:49
yeah, too bad HW2's soundtrack didn't match up to it. IIRC wasn't the Adagio only played during the first mothership launch sequence (ie no combat)?

I can remember having it playing during combat, I think - it was a while ago. Regardless - just cos there are no enemies about - not gonna stop me getting them killed. I'm the sorta person who uses ramming frigates against the nasty alien infection thingys in Cataclysm.

JAG
09-18-2004, 13:51
Has to be FFVII, nothing beats it.

DisruptorX
09-19-2004, 07:33
Has to be FFVII, nothing beats it.

The tunes are good, but the sound quality is terrible. The sound in some of the SNES games sounds better.

Spartiate
09-19-2004, 20:08
Cm03/04- because it's customised.
Homeworld 2 - man does that music set the tone
STW -
GTA Vice City- love the 80S
MTW - still doesn'y irritate me after 2 years

ah_dut
09-19-2004, 20:49
Any FF tune. seriously they rock. Also Crazy Taxi is pretty good.

Cazbol
09-20-2004, 11:01
MTW
STW
Hell March from Red Alert
Privateer 2 intro music
Bladerunner intro music
Master of Orion 2