PDA

View Full Version : Argh i'm doomed!!!

Leet Eriksson
08-09-2004, 00:48
Heya guys, anyone got doom 3 yet? I have to say, this game is pretty scary, but its so fun at the same time ~D

The story is pretty well done, though the plot is your run of the mill sci-fi "we developed a teleportation system!!! OH NOES!! demons are comin through it and you must kill em all" (well you get the picture) but the story still retains a strong reprsentation, and is enjoyable in the long run.

Gameplay is great, and the AI is awesome, though sometimes the AI just charges straight at you, but heck most of the time they are pretty intelligent, using cover and the dark to their advantage, suffice to say its a pretty pleasant experience.

The Sound is awesome, for both the enviroments and the weapons, the voice is well done, and there are alot of interacting to do early on wich is pretty fun in itself.

As for multiplayer, its not that good, my system ran well on 4/4 servers, but anything above that like 8/8 or 12/12 and your game kinda lags and messes up, since it seems like more of an afterthought, and the levels are done by an external development team i'm not surprised its crap, hopefully the mod community or patches will fix that.

The graphics does not need any explaining, but i suggest you have some pretty high end computer, and at least a gig or 2 of ram with a decent gfx card to enjoy it.

Anyways if you have anything to say about the game this is the perfect place, so talk whatever you want about Doom 3, don't forget the spoiler tags if you want to talk about the story ~;)

Gregoshi
08-09-2004, 06:06
I'm surprised it took this long for a Doom 3 thread to start. I picked it up on Wednesday, mostly because my daughter was interested in it. I haven't tried it yet but will get around to it. It does look good. And scary. I heard a couple of screams coming from the den while my daughter (age 17) was playing, so I'm guessing she's enjoying the scares.

BTW, I'm running on a P4 2.53mHz with 512mb of RAM and a 128mb Radeon 9700 and it is running pretty well - just a hickup every now and then which I'm sure I can smooth out with some tweaking. When I let the game determine the "best" graphics settings for my system, it sets it up as "medium" (2nd lowest of 4 levels). From multiple reviews I've read, the game looks fantastic at all graphics settings.

thrashaholic
08-09-2004, 09:30
I'm going to get it on Friday 13th (that's an omen if ever I saw one) when it comes out in the UK. I've been looking forward to it for ages. In the meanwhile I've found a forum that claims to know how to boost the performance of the game, allowing people to play at higher settings....

link (http://www.gamingforums.com/showthread.php?t=138237)

I'm going to use this when I get Doom, I just hope it works.

The Tuffen
08-09-2004, 12:17
can't wait for it to come out. I've got it on Pre-order and just got an e-mail saying that they are picking and packing it for me and it should be here soon :)

Gregoshi
08-09-2004, 14:48
Thanks for that link thrashaholic! :thumbsup: I'll give that a try.

Nelson
08-09-2004, 16:16
I got DOOM3 last week. It is very impressive graphically. My Athlon 2000XP with a GForce 4200 runs best at 800x600 with medium settings. I have never seen any game look so good at 800x600. At 1024x768 my rig struggles. Even at 800x600 it gets choppy with several flaming heads flying about.

As for game play, you had better enjoy murky corridors as there is no long range sniping across the Martian landscape in this FPS. This game is all the about ambiance and mood that springs from creepy, dark, claustrophobia.

The most important weapon? The flashlight! Doom3 has the best flashlight simulation ever. Good thing too, ‘cause you need it. You know that distortion that you see in a flashlight beam caused by the bulb assembly? Doom has it. And it is actually a weapon. You can swing it like a club. Not a smart idea but swing it you will when you fail to change to another weapon quickly enough. For you see, despite this being the 22nd century, you don’t have lamps on the guns or the helmet. You must use the flashlight a lot and CAN NOT use it when a weapon is ready. This means a lot of firing into the dark, switching to the light, and back again to a gun. I made the flashlight/last weapon toggle my right mouse button but however you do it this is a skill you must master.

Surround sound is important and adds to the immersion. I find the gunfire rather muted however. The reports in other shooters have more punch. My brother and sons agree on this too. When I cut loose I want the room to rattle.

I haven’t played online and likely won’t. I already have other good shooters for online play. I expect this type of game to support co-op play against the AI. The original Doom had it but this iteration inexplicably does not. That’s a pity.

Dramicus
08-09-2004, 18:22
My Intel 3.2 gig with a gforce 5700fx and 1 gig of ram runs the game flawlessly on very high (or high, the setting right under max) at 1024x768. I havent tried it on ultra high but I guess i might be able to get it working well at that setting as well.

The game is absolutely gorgeous and I enjoy playing late at night with the lights off while wearing my $200 Bose headphones... ~;) Now, the game doesnt scare me all that much, but I do find that ive been expending more ammunition than I normally would in other games... ~:smoking:

The sound is great but what really freaks me out is the whispering that you hear every once in a while... and since the game is so dark you always have the impression that something is watching you... and after it leaps out from the shadows, your suspicions are confermed...

One thing that really freaked me out was at one point where I was proceeding through an area and just off the path was a small dark, cramped hallway which was pitch black. As I passed by that hallway, a rather loud whisper invaded my headset... "Over here..." It wasnt a normal whisper either, it was the kind that you hear in movies just before something kills one of the characters.... ~;)

About the weapon sounds, I think their fine and that they actually add to the mood of the game because they give the sense that although your armed to the teeth, you dont get any comfort from the fact.

Multiplayer, lets face it, is a joke... Nothing more needs to be said on the mater.... ~:p

now im off to play some more doom... ~D

edit: just tried the tweak... now im enjoying Doom on Ultra Quality.... hehehe this is the best looking game in history.... ~:smoking:

thrashaholic
08-09-2004, 18:51
Thanks for that link thrashaholic! :thumbsup: I'll give that a try.

No problem Gregoshi . Could you let me know if it works for you, or if all the stuff I've seen is merely conjecture in order to fool the masses into hurting their game.

lonewolf371
08-10-2004, 04:05
For you guys who are Radeon users, make sure you don't update your Catalyst too much (pass 4.2 I believe) otherwise you might start meeting the vanguard of the massive hiccup invasion force. It is a very good game, but very confined, scares the crap out of me with all the freaky voices. Oh yea and by the way...
If you follow the "over here" voice, you find a plasma rifle...

Dramicus
08-10-2004, 05:41
lol, thats good to know, I didnt go there however... ~:p

Gregoshi
08-10-2004, 16:04
The tips in the link didn't help thrashaholic. I still get stuttering when doors open and right when monster appear (not a good thing).

I searched around and found this Doom 3 tweak guide: http://www.tweakguides.com/Doom3_1.html

At the same site I found found this ATI tweak guide: http://www.tweakguides.com/ATICAT_1.html

(BTW, this site has tweak guides for WinXP, BIOS setting and a dozen popular cpu/graphics intensive games)

There are quite a few things to mess with in these guides and I didn't do 95% of them as they are very detailed. However, based upon recommendations, I did download the Catalyst 4.9 beta drivers and DirectX 9c. The 4.9 beta drivers were released by ATI as they apparently address some of the issues with Doom 3. Alas, I still didn't notice any improvement in the stuttering. I've got quite a few more things to investigate yet before I give up and live with it.

The only other "easy" thing to try is the up my RAM from 512 to 1gig as many have reported that that has helped them out too. Funny how a year ago when I ordered my PC, 512mb of RAM seemed like more than you would ever need. I'd rather not spend the money on RAM if I can fix my problems via software settings.

Unfortunately, the stuttering destroys the immersion effect you get from the spectacular audio and video of the game, so I'd really like to fix it.

lonewolf371
08-11-2004, 04:47
You guys might also be able to find some guides on tweaking, performance, upgrading, etc. at www.lostcircuits.com. In particular it has a good BIOS guide, IMO better than the one suggested at tweakguides.com

Efrem Da King
08-11-2004, 11:26
Now first of all I will say one thing. I HATE BEING SCARED. I also dislike basic run of the mill corridor crawlers. So please tak that into account for my review of Doom 3.

I wasn't expecting much but I got a lot. I bought the game to test my comp and for mods.

WOOOOO FUN FUN FUN FUN FUN.
I don't like sp tooo scary for me but MP ROX. WHO WILL TURN ON THE LIGHT!!

WEll you use a flashlight?
Or maybe chuck grenades around?
Or maybe even just wait with a shotgun for someone else to make the first move. Or hell just leave the room and kill peopel normally. INcredible fun.

Spino
08-11-2004, 15:45
Doom 3 is GREAT! Unfortunately, the more I play the more the fright factor wears off, probably because the game is only about killing monsters and nothing else.

Now if Doom3 had the depth and story of System Shock 2 it would be perfect.

I cannot wait to see the kinds of games that will be made using the Doom 3 engine, it's fantastic.

Aymar de Bois Mauri
08-11-2004, 16:41
Hello, guys!!!

Some helpfulll tips in this thread.

I haven't played DOOM III yet, but it sounds promissing in regard to graphics and sound. Too bad about the linearity of the story and the lack of interactivity (physics engine). But that is no surprise. id wasn't ever known for their stories, but for their cutting edge graphics.

For story driven FPS and great interactivity, Half-life 2, Deus EX 2 and STALKER should fill the bill...

Talking about cutting edge graphics you might want to check this out:

http://www.unrealtechnology.com/flash/technology/ue30.shtml

Enjoy...

solypsist
08-11-2004, 18:04
Im going to start again probably this weekend.
Since the screen is so dark, I have to play it with the lights off (of course) and in order to hear the ambient sounds, with the volume at a louder setting than usual (of course). This does not make for a pretty scene when the stuff jumps out.
I've read of people playing for 11-20 hours straight, but unfortunately since I can only handle 15 minutes intervals, this game may last me a while...

Spino
08-11-2004, 18:26
FYI to everyone here, you can brighten things up a bit in the game without it looking washed out or being an obvious cheat. Personally I think Doom 3 is unnaturally dark, there are too many areas where the game goes from modest lighting to pitch blackness even though there is a light source a short distance away.

Open the console up by hitting the 'Ctrl', 'Alt' & '~' keys. Be sure to switch to your fists or flashlight before doing this otherwise you'll discharge a round. Type in 'r_gamma 1.x', 'x' being a number, preferably between 1 and 4 (anything higher and the colors begin to look 'washed out'). The game's gamma is by default set to '1'. I changed it to '1.2' and things look more realistic. When you save a game after doing this the game remembers your new gamma setting. At 1.2 the game is still extremely dark but the lighting seems more natural now, especially on surfaces.

Leet Eriksson
08-11-2004, 23:53
i'm pretty far in the game, although things do get predictable i still think they scare the hell out of me, especially when new monsters come into play without an introductory (ie wraiths) first time i met them was when they teleported directly behind me, i so freaked out i almost smashed the keyboard ~:p oh and the god damn imps jump really fast its impossible to dodge or avoid it.

lonewolf371
08-12-2004, 00:31
Their ranged attack is easy to dodge, just run back and forth sideways.

Leet Eriksson
08-12-2004, 13:34
the projectile is very easy to dodge, but their jump is almost impossible to dodge, i get cuaght almost 100% of the time.

thrashaholic
08-13-2004, 13:09
I bought Doom this morning, but my computer can't take it, it keeps locking up; I'm so disapointed ~:( ~:( ~:( . But I've got college starting again in September which'll be a good excuse to persuade my parents to get me a new computer ~D

Ser Clegane
08-13-2004, 13:33
I got the game yesterday and had quite a lot of fun yesterday evening - the graphics are indeed very impressive and the atmosphere is very dense (only the darkness and the flashlight/weapon switching was sometimes annoying - although it also added to the suspense in some situation).

My wife thinks I am thug after she watched me frantically shooting zombies into pieces ... but well ... at least I am a happy thug ~D

frogbeastegg
08-13-2004, 14:14
Is there a demo yet? I'm not the least bit interested in the game but mildly curious about the engine, since a lot of games will be using it.

Leet Eriksson
08-13-2004, 16:52
The engines main feature is the lighting, its incredible, and very realistic, i did not know if they will use the engine for other games, since Carmack said after Doom 3 they will pursue an upgradable engine (just like the Unreal Engines) so they can license it for other game producers. Demo is in the works i hear, but i don't really know much, they said they will make a demo after the games release, and they are working on it right now, but no release date announced.

The Tuffen
08-15-2004, 17:31
Got doom on fri, and is absolutly amazing. The lighting is the best i've ever seen in a computer game and the whole flashlight/weapon switching makes you more nervous with frantic swithching in dark areas.

The monsters are quite tough with even the imps giving me proplems coz there so agile.

Leet Eriksson
08-16-2004, 01:04
Get used to imps, they are the most common of all monsters...

I will put up this strategy just incase anyone needs it to deal with imps, taking care of them first will minimise damage greatly i think, but anyways here it is:

Best way i found out so far to avoid its leap or jump attack is to backup or walk backwards, since the leep is based on a fixed distance, strafing won't work or rather i failed most of the time trying to strafe the jump. 1 shotgun shell close up can kill it(chainsaw works too), aimed at the head though, most usually 2 shells in the torso, sometimes they spawn at a distance, most encounters when fighting at a distance happen when there is some sort of barrier or gap that doesn't allow you to get close up, the pistol ain't bad at taking 1 imp out since its accurate, but if your fighting several at a distance use a machinegun.

One important and useful thing i found out, and its especially useful when fighting those surprise attacks in doom 3 is to bind the flashlight to the right mouse button, as someone suggested above, since i'm pretty easy to freak out, i get frustrated finding that F key ~:p right now i have a much easier time killing monsters and less frustration, oh and also cuase less damage to the keyboard ~:p

Aymar de Bois Mauri
08-16-2004, 05:40
I got it!!! I have to agree: DOOM III is great. I was expecting the graphics to be awesome, but not the gameplay. I also wasn't expecting the cinematic interaction of the first half an hour. Good surprise. Great ambience and, I have to agree, nervous use of the flashlight. However, although I was pleasently surprised by PDA and interactive screens as a way to get pointers and tell the tale, I find the remaining interactivity with other objects lacking. The gameplay is, although scary, monotonous. Too bad. All in all, a great game with gorgeous graphics and great care, although very linear and not very innovative in gameplay.

The_Emperor
08-16-2004, 11:21
I got it.

I have to admit it is very good, and quite scary.

The Imps are very tough and fast but I am slowly getting the hang of them. But more than this tis the zombies that annoy me. After having a bunch of them jump up from what I presumed to be dead bodies, I now make a point of shooting every body in the head once with the pistol... Thats normally good enough to find out if they are a zombie or not!

The whispering was freaky, when I arrived in the darkened living-room with a pentangle in the middle it (looking for the PDA for Alpha Labs) it really freaked me out hearing the voice and the lights going out yet again.

It is good, even if the gameplay does get rather samey (but then you always get that with an FPS)

King Edward
08-16-2004, 11:51
Just a note re everyone saying about the linier gameplay, i think it was ment to be this way, its just old school DOOM on a modern 3D graphics engine. mindless blasting of hellspawn, Its what made DOOM Great!!! if it had complex storie lines and millions of options and controls it woulden't be DOOM Anymore.

The_Emperor
08-16-2004, 13:14
I think the main problem is the way the enemies come at you in fairly limited numbers one, two or three at a time... It rapidly gets boring blasting two or three monsters away one after the other time after time.

Sadly though compared to the old 2D bitmap games (like the Original Doom games) there is one thing that modern 3D games lack... Quantity of enemies!

In the old Dooms you could get charged by like 20 enemies at once, or even more! (especially with the final Boss in Doom 2 where enemies keep on respawning around you) Nothing quite as exciting as killing multiple enemies!

Sadly this is the tradeoff with everything going into Graphics and eye candy, you can only handle so many enemies now. A shame really.

The Tuffen
08-16-2004, 13:32
I have to agree with The_Emperor, it is a shame that you don't have that many enemies at once any more. I used to love playing the original doom and having to kill loads of enemies (usually with a BFG :evilgrin:)

I'm quite used to facing imps now although its the revanents that r posing a real proplem for me. Also instead of wasting ammo to check if a zombie will get up whip out your flashlight and hit the corpses with it. It does the same job and you don't waste any ammo (pistol ammo is a rarity i've found and i'm constantly out of it)

The_Emperor
08-16-2004, 13:37
Yeah the problem with that is that if he IS a zombie once you whack him he will get up and start pounding on you!

Anyway I did run low on pistol ammo at one point and started meleeing corpses instead, I just remain ready to change weapons if he decides to get up!

(ALso getitng rid of all the corpses by Gibbing them is a good way to keep track on where you have already been)

Nelson
08-16-2004, 18:41
Tired of switching from the shotgun to the flashlight?

Check this out:
http://ducttape.glenmurphy.com/

The_Emperor
08-16-2004, 18:49
LOL The Duct Tape MOD... Excellent!! :medievalcheers: :rtwyes:

Ser Clegane
08-16-2004, 21:32
One important and useful thing i found out, and its especially useful when fighting those surprise attacks in doom 3 is to bind the flashlight to the right mouse button, as someone suggested above, since i'm pretty easy to freak out, i get frustrated finding that F key ~:p right now i have a much easier time killing monsters and less frustration, oh and also cuase less damage to the keyboard ~:p

Very good idea - I just started to apply this and it makes life a lot easier.

When I panick I really have difficulties switching by using the keyboard (I just "accidentally" clobbered a Maggot to death with my flashlight - fortunately these buddies are less tough than they look like
~:) )

The Tuffen
08-16-2004, 21:48
There's quite a few mods available all ready, some that i've heard about are ones that make the enemy bodys not dissolve when they r killed. One also makes zombies get back up unless you completly finish it off. There are also weapon mods ranging from changing what weapons fire to adding new weapons.

Havn't tried any of these yet but may download a few off them. Have a look at http://dlx.gamespot.com/pc/doom3/index.html for a pretty big selection of mods

Despot of the English
08-21-2004, 16:18
Tired of switching from the shotgun to the flashlight?

Check this out:
http://ducttape.glenmurphy.com/

Thanks for that I'll try it out ~:) .

I think Doom 3 is pretty good but not as good as Return to Castle Wolfenstein. I think the game is very linear, more so than any FPS I have ever played: so far, I've only played a few levels, there have been no narrow shafts to crawl through and nothing to climb on to reach another part of a complex. I do like the gloomy atmosphere but it's a shame that it has to be so dark so much of the time because you cannot truly appreciate the great graphics of the beasts who want to rend you limb from limb.
So I think overall Doom 3 is a good game but not as great as I was expecting.

Despot of the English
08-25-2004, 12:41
I've been playing more of Doom 3 and it is great having the duct tape mod. I really hope that they make another AvP using graphics of this quality.

PS Just found the plasma rifle!! AHAHA!

King Edward
08-25-2004, 13:19
Plasma Rifle is great but eats ammo!! use it Sparingly!! Does anyone else find the Chain gun take far to long to start shooting??

Also how much of a pain in the butt are those pesky spider jobbies???

Man i love this game!!! Im gonna frag me some demon ass as soon as i can get out this bloody office!!!

Leet Eriksson
08-25-2004, 13:30
Plasma Rifle is strictly used to beat the revenants, the shots are big enough to be able to render the revenants rockets useless.

The spiders are really annoying, once you kill a bunch another bunch crawl up from behind, always look behind you after you kill some.

King Edward
08-25-2004, 13:38
Plasma Rifle is strictly used to beat the revenants, the shots are big enough to be able to render the revenants rockets useless.

The spiders are really annoying, once you kill a bunch another bunch crawl up from behind, always look behind you after you kill some.

I've not come up agianst any Revenants yet. Those floaty demon things take some putting down though. Are they the Doom 3 Cacodemons? their lightning attack is hard to avoid. Also the lost souls are far nastier in doom 3 than any previous incarnation.

Despot of the English
08-26-2004, 12:12
Those spider creatures are easy to kill with just a pistol but only so long as there's some convenient place to shoot them from. Otherwise I'm down to using the machine gun.

From reading the posts here I see I have much more Doom to do! I just met some giant big spidery thing who was pretty pissed off that I strolled into its lair. I fragged its ass with the plasma rifle but now only have 40 shots left ~:mecry: .

King Edward
08-26-2004, 12:19
I met my First Revenant last night and have to say i was a little dissapointed, his rockets are easy to pick off (esp with plasma rifle) and dont hurt you anywhere near as much as in Doom2. Im gonna go back to the start and up the difficulty as I dont want to be dissapointed like this when i bump into Hell Knights and Mancubious.

Despot of the English
08-26-2004, 12:35
What is a Revenant? Sounds like some kind of Undead beast with a big gun.

King Edward
08-26-2004, 13:23
Actually it IS an Undead Beastie with 2 Big Guns!!! :skull: :rifle:

Somebody Else
08-26-2004, 18:04
Yeeks! Darkened corridors! Silly lack of sensible flashlight! ZOMBIES!!!

I have a thing about people's bodies being usurped. I can handle ugly monster thingys, but the undead... urgh...

Maybe I should go back to America's Army or something.

The Tuffen
08-30-2004, 13:52
What is a Revenant? Sounds like some kind of Undead beast with a big gun.

Revenenats are nasty i find, I wouldn't mind if you had a large space to try and take them out but usually your in a confined space and they have homing rockets.

Kraellin
08-30-2004, 21:03
hehe, ok, i've had the game for a while, but didnt install it due to some other games and a general fear that my rig wouldnt be able to handle doom 3.

and sure enough, it installed just fine, but had no sound. i did a little looking around on fan site forums and found some tweaks for graphics, but not much for sound, but i realized that what had happened was the game itself turned my sound off due to being at the minimum spec level. ok, fair enough. i could run the game. i mean, it did work, just no sound.

but, being a good little tweaker, i realized this was prolly a memory allocation thing and found a tweak for changing memory allocation in the config file. i also had to manually turn the sound on in the config file too. i had done this before, but it always reset itself when the game started up, so i still wouldnt get any sound. by altering the memory allocation and the sound together.... voila! sound!

the game is a bit sluggsih on my little 1.7 ghz machine, but does play fairly smoothly. i think i can tweak it a bit more and get it better.

hehe, nice start to this game. i didnt play very long; just long enough to shoot a few zombies and die once myself. yes, incredible graphics and good background sound and stuff going on. sets the mood pretty well.

but, i've got just one question on this thing. do i not have 2 hands? can i not hold a flashlight and a small plasma gun one in each hand? i mean, this just seems odd to me. i can sort of understand if it were a rifle, but a simple 'revolver'? and i saw the link to the duct tape mod. lol. love that idea. may have to try that one out :)

i can see i'm going to have to upgrade to a new computer and maybe even a surround sound sound system. looks like these guys have made pretty good use of that in the game engine. nice :)

K.

solypsist
08-30-2004, 21:44
still haven't played beyond maybe 20 minutes in beyond the intro.

anyone try the multiplayer yet? can we set up an Org room?

Kraellin
09-05-2004, 02:17
ok, when i first played this, i was of course impressed with all the graphics and sound and atmosphere stuff, but i thought the monster stuff was a bit weird or done kind of with an AI cheat sort of thing, especially those revenants (or whatever you call those fireball throwing things). the revs seemed to just come out of nowhere, usually from behind me it seemed, and i just thought this was kind of cheap.

so, i hadnt played any more till today. i was bored and thought i might as well get a bit more money out of this game. first thing i did was turn the gamma up. that helped. i've heard some say the flashlight is the best they've ever seen, but i disagree. there's no ambient light given off by the flashlight... you know, that slightly ligher area off to the side of the main beam. but ok, not a biggie. with the light a bit brighter now, the creature spawning started to make a bit more sense, especially since i could now see them ;) and now, instead of being constantly ambushed and very annoyed, i could actually get into the game. in fact, i got so into it, that i finished the first level, the 2nd level, and am all the way back up past the marine hq and into the admin level.

i really had to laugh when i found the bathroom. let's just say that the graphic detail is a bit more than i would have cared for ;) still, it was funny. the urinal even had auto-detect flushing :)

i've gotten the shotgun and the machine gun so far. i'm a bit disappointed with the machine gun. very weak. i think i might have missed the chain saw. i got one pda making reference to it, but never found it. i might have missed one pda; i saw it through a door that wouldnt open all the way, but never found another way around to get to it. on the other hand, maybe i havent reached the chain saw yet.

so, all in all, i'm now enjoying the game and even find myself getting a bit of an adrenaline rush in anticipation of the next ambush. oh yeah, i've also run into the big doggies. sort of a cross between a bull, a toad and a pit bull. cute. think i'll get one as a pet.

K.

Scipio
09-05-2004, 04:25
Does this game play with EAX? From what I hear about the game it would appear to (hearing things from behind you etc) If so I am just dying to try this game out on my new 7.1 speakers ~;)

The Tuffen
09-05-2004, 16:10
Kraellin, dont worry you will find the chainsaw soon enough although you will have a lot more weapons before it.

Kraellin
09-05-2004, 17:15
scipio,

from what i've heard, doom 3 supports surround sound. that it does or doesnt use EAX, i'm not sure, but i've always been a bit confused about what exactly EAX is or does, so you might want to check the various support sites and forums and ask there.

tuffen,

yeah, havent got it yet, but i did get some grenades and am through the administration level now. i need a freaking map of this layout. i keep finding myself running in circles :)

soly,

i tried multi last night for the first time. i maybe better wait till i get my new dsl this week. i found the lowest ping game i could find (under 100 ms) and still found myself hitting some big nasty lags where i was more or less frozen in place. i got zero kills and finally just decided i'd need the new dsl and maybe a new machine to play online.

however, if you want to arrange a time for a small test game, i'm in.

K.

Somebody Else
09-05-2004, 17:30
Boom!!! Shuka... Boom!!! Shuka... Boom..splat..shuka...

Zip...zip...Bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Who needs a flashlight when you can light your way with gibs?

Hmm... game got less scary deeper in. More bit of flying meat though...

Aelwyn
09-06-2004, 00:14
I was kinda more jumpy as well during the first few levels. Now its not as much. I always play at night though, with the lights off, and headphones on, so the sound is like right in my head. ~;)

King Edward
09-06-2004, 10:09
Man my ass has been fried about 6 times by the bloody archvile! any tips on kicking his ass would be welcome!

Somebody Else
09-06-2004, 11:51
Killing archviles...

Begin with zip... zip... Have a Bzzzzzz somewhere in the middle... End with a splat.

Or a coupla shotgun blasts, or maybe a rocket - if you're feeling feeble.

I've found that if you run up to them as they teleport in, they can be shredded by the chainsaw before they do anything to you.

If range is an issue, the chaingun or plasma rifle might work. And if you're still in trouble get a BFG. If that doesn't work, then you may as well give up.

King Edward
09-06-2004, 11:55
Yeah but the prob with this one is that he is miles away from you so i think grenades followed by a few rockets might have to do the job. Im sendin' him strainght back to hell!!!!!!!!

Somebody Else
09-06-2004, 12:24
Far away hmm... well - you can dodge what he flings at you, so use the assault rifle or chaingun (if he's moving too) or the plasma rifle or rocket launcher (if he's standing still). Or leg it up to him and blow him away with the shotgun, just like everything else in the game.

King Edward
09-06-2004, 12:30
My Main Problem is my Innate fear of archviles from Doom 2 and Final doom, i just leg it when i see one! more aggresive strategy needed i think!

DIE HELL SCUM!!!!

Somebody Else
09-06-2004, 12:43
That must be it... never played 1 or 2, so I have no preconceptions about the demonic critters, and once I got that chainsaw, something in me just went click.

The screen's kinda hard to see through this mask though...

King Edward
09-06-2004, 12:46
They were nasty Bug*ers in the old dooms! there attack was very powerful, 3 or 4 hits would kill you at near full health.

I can see how your mask may affect your periferal vision somewhat....

The Tuffen
09-06-2004, 15:50
I havn't met the archviles yet, but for some reason can't remember meeting them from previous doom's. What attacks do they have so i can prepare for meeting them?

King Edward
09-06-2004, 15:54
In the old doom he was the gangly silver colourd guy who made you catch on fire then blast you through the air they could ressurect dead creatures as well.. very similar to what they do in the New Doom! they can also summon Imps.

Aelwyn
09-06-2004, 16:54
Dodge what he throws at you. Once his arm starts to swing, the projectile goes to where you are currently standing. So if you move he'll completely miss you.

Somebody Else
09-06-2004, 17:06
Exactly, standard rule in FPS games, never, ever stop moving, unless you really really have to.

King Edward
09-06-2004, 17:11
Ah ok so its not like in Doom 2 where you have to move out is sight to avoid his attack?

cheers for the tips guys!

Kraellin
09-06-2004, 17:58
hehehe, ok, i found this one cute, the martianbuddy site :) nice use of the web through a game :)

K.

Leet Eriksson
09-06-2004, 18:30
There is also a website for the UAC ~;p

btw kreallin keep that code handy, there will be another box that uses the exact same code later in the game.

Kraellin
09-07-2004, 23:14
cool beans, faisal :)

ok, i got the chainsaw. lol. oh, the humanity!

K.

solypsist
09-08-2004, 00:48
okay i'm back to the game - finally got a break where i have some time.

still near the beginning, but tonight i should make some progress

John86
09-09-2004, 01:04
There is also a website for the UAC ~;p

http://www.ua-corp.com/

The_Emperor
09-09-2004, 09:37
Nooo I am in hell!

Those blasted teleporters, they never work right!

ok, i got the chainsaw. lol. oh, the humanity!

Yeah finally a good way to kill zombies without wasting ammo on them. Nothing is more delightful than carving through hordes of undead with a chainsaw! (makes me feel like Ash in Army of Darkness)

Lonewarrior
09-10-2004, 03:10
DUdes the best way to play DOOM 3 its at night, with the lights turned off, and decorate your house like halloween.

~:shock:

Kraellin
09-10-2004, 20:48
hehehe, i've been playing a bit more, but was using my crappy little speakers that came with the machine. i decided to change this and plugged in the nice, fairly expensive headphones i bought recently. wow! what a change! crank up the volume and set the graphic equalizer to heavy bass! then, turn down the lights! yeoow! what a difference and i dont even have to disturb the neighbors :)

doing this this way also gives you more sound clues as to when you're about get bit in the *ss by something ;)

K.

solypsist
09-11-2004, 09:54
yeah but some of those "shocker" sounds (falling ceiling plates, etc.) have knocked me out of my chair more than once.

I'm about to start the monorail.

Kraellin
09-11-2004, 16:04
yup. you do sort of get 'jumpy' after a while of playing this game. monorail? man, you've been playing quite a bit. i only just got the message sent out via the satellite transmission. i couldnt unlock the monorail in the communications area. i'm now headed to the delta sector again to meet up with the marine guy and i think swan is going to be there also.... sounds like confrontation time.

K.

Aymar de Bois Mauri
09-11-2004, 17:15
hehehe, i've been playing a bit more, but was using my crappy little speakers that came with the machine. i decided to change this and plugged in the nice, fairly expensive headphones i bought recently. wow! what a change! crank up the volume and set the graphic equalizer to heavy bass! then, turn down the lights! yeoow! what a difference and i dont even have to disturb the neighbors :)

doing this this way also gives you more sound clues as to when you're about get bit in the *ss by something ;)

K.
If you think that sounds good, you should try with surround sound... :wink: ...it's AWESOME!!! :yes:

BTW, the absolute best way to play DOOM III is with a big screen, max settings, without lights, with surround sound and nobody around... :devil: ...TERRIFYING!!! :scared:

solypsist
09-11-2004, 23:32
this game got me to finally add memory. i went out this morning and bought a gig of RAM (two 512 sticks), just added it on half and hour ago and will boot up the doom in a few.

Kraellin
09-12-2004, 19:52
so did the ram improve your speed, frame rate at all?

i just got past the big blob things. lots of hit points there, but slow. reminded me of the marshmallow monster in ghost busters ;)

the baby things with wings give me the willies, though. i wanna just pour every bit of ammo i have into each and every one of them!

the skeletons with guided, flaming, rocket balls are a bit of a pain, but i finally found the rocket launcher, so, we're even :)

K.

solypsist
09-12-2004, 21:36
you're almost caught up with me.

those cherubs really freak me out, thank god for the chaingun.

there i'm getting pretty good at the run backwards and keep firing tactic, and my other favorite is the run around behind them and shotgun them in the back of the head at close range.

Kraellin
09-13-2004, 03:33
aymar,

yes, this game is the first game i've seen where i've actually started comtemplating getting a surround sound rig for my machine. i could really see myself sitting over a large sub-woofer playing this game :)

soly,

you must have had some very loooong sessions to have been that far ahead of me. i'm also thinking we shld do a video of those 'cherubs' somehow. if they freak you and me out, then i know others are responding the same way ;)

K.

King Edward
09-13-2004, 08:13
Yeah those evil babies are freaky little B*ggers!!! i know what you mean about wanting to unload entire clips into the critters! the hardest monsters are by far the Hell Knights and the fat gits with flame throwers! Nasty!!

The_Emperor
09-13-2004, 10:14
Man those hell knights were a pain. I regularly used up rockets and BFG ammo on them.

Later I saved the Soul Cube charges to defeat them, a very nifty item that one! ~D

Just don't ask how many times I fought the Soul Cube Guardian to get the bloomin thing!

King Edward
09-13-2004, 11:51
I still Havent found the BFG !!! Im in hell now and the difficulty is definatly upped a few notches when you get there!!! Hell Knights arnt too bad if you have room to move around but in tight spots they are nasty!

Aymar de Bois Mauri
09-13-2004, 15:38
aymar,

yes, this game is the first game i've seen where i've actually started comtemplating getting a surround sound rig for my machine. i could really see myself sitting over a large sub-woofer playing this game :)

K.
LOL :grin2: Yes. But it's not just the positional sound that is very good. The creepy, ever present, sound work is quite impressive and really ads to the immersion. In fact, it makes you keep on edge in calmer parts of the game. On the other hand, the surround sound gives you an advantage. ANY early warning is always welcome in this scary game!!! :wink:

The_Emperor
09-13-2004, 16:14
I still Havent found the BFG !!! Im in hell now and the difficulty is definatly upped a few notches when you get there!!! Hell Knights arnt too bad if you have room to move around but in tight spots they are nasty!

You missed the BFG, ti was in some guy's office in Delta. A Pad you got earlier helps you with the door code. But then after being in hell you lose all your weapons anyway. ~:mecry:

If you want a hard fight, just you wait until you meet the Soul Cube Guardian in Hell... Its a very tough fight to beat him, but its very useful to get a weapon that can heal you (even if you cannot use it all the time).

Save the cube for the tough creatures, it can take down almost anything in one shot!

Admin
09-13-2004, 16:52
Hello,

Doom2 had coop MP, does Doom3 have that mode?

solypsist
09-13-2004, 17:48
hmmm...now I'm considering getting surround sound, since I can't count the number of times I've been snuck up on from behind - despite being careful and having the volume at a good level.
just got to hell and will playthat through tonight.

King Edward
09-14-2004, 14:08
With the Unmodded release there is no coop mode in doom3 as far as im aware, i did read somewhere that there may be a mod which allowed coop play but I can't remember where i saw that. I'll look around and see if i can find out.

solypsist
09-15-2004, 18:48
just finished it

now i might check out some mods before installing the rtw demo

Kraellin
09-16-2004, 22:20
finished it? man, you've been playing some long hours there. i'm not even in hell yet.

K.

solypsist
09-17-2004, 00:23
after a while it gets pretty routine, so it's just a matter of running alot; I've outrun many monsters without taking damage and without them being able to follow me (though they can open doors, they can't take service lifts, stairs, or elevators.)
and yeah, I did put in one mega session from 11pm to 6am on sunday night.

finished it? man, you've been playing some long hours there. i'm not even in hell yet.

K.

Kraellin
09-18-2004, 23:36
and yeah, I did put in one mega session from 11pm to 6am on sunday night.

hehe, thought so. we're going to have to get you a new job ;)

K.

The_Emperor
09-19-2004, 00:12
So you've finished it.

Tell me did you consider the final boss creature to be a little bit easy?

I thought it was kinda, especially given all the hints you get about killing the thing.

solypsist
09-19-2004, 00:58
1. I have an interview with the NY branch of NHK television on Tuesday, which may put me in Japan for stretches of 6-9 months at a time. We'll see. It's an actual day job buth the $$ can't be beat.

2. The last boss was sort of tough, for me. I found the (spoiler) cube boss almost unbeatable, and so expected a bit more from the final. But I wouldn't say it was easy.

hehe, thought so. we're going to have to get you a new job ;)

K.

The_Emperor
09-19-2004, 13:44
To be honest I didn't find the last boss that hard in comparison to the Cube Boss.

After the Soul Cube gives you the hint when you get it that "only it can defeat Hell's greatest warrior", not to mention all those tablets it didn't take much to figure out that only the soul cube could harm it.

I just ran around in circles around the hellgate wasting the Imps and blasting the boss with the Soulcube when it was charged with the standard Five souls

Kraellin
09-19-2004, 20:49
ah, soly, i'm beginning to see a definite leaning toward asia here; your babe postings, your last trip to asia, and now this job interview :) and this isnt an 'accusation', it's sheer envy :) i spent 13 months in asia, so i know why you're looking at that job :)

K.

solypsist
09-19-2004, 21:37
the flaw in that observation is: whatever can be had in Asia is also readily available in a city like New York.

anyway, I'm done with D3. I looked into modding it, but man that's way over my head. So I'm uninstalling it tonight.

ah, soly, i'm beginning to see a definite leaning toward asia here; your babe postings, your last trip to asia, and now this job interview :) and this isnt an 'accusation', it's sheer envy :) i spent 13 months in asia, so i know why you're looking at that job :)

K.