PDA

View Full Version : Looking For New FPS

mercian billman
08-11-2004, 19:36
I'm trying to think of a new FPS game to buy. Some of the games I've been considering are,

Soldner: Secret Wars
Battlefield Vietnam/1942
Delta Force Blackhawk Down
Joint Operations
Splinter Cell/Pandora Tomorrow

Keep in mind that the game should have a decent SP as well as MP and, any other reccomendations would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Billman

Sjakihata
08-11-2004, 19:58
I think Joint Operations is WAAY better than BHD, so scratch BHD imo.

Joint Operations is basically one huge battlefield, with up to 150 players. All flying, driving, sailing, running, swimming and diving around. A lot is going on it is pretty fast paced, however, as a sniper you can take the tempo down a bit. It is fun and I can recommend that. It is MUCH more fun to play with a squad or 1 or 2 friends.

America's Army is a great FPS, traditional, realistic and FREE. Download it here http://aaotracker.4players.de/portal.php

IrishMike
08-11-2004, 20:00
I had Black Hawk Down and didn't like it. It just didn't have the feel that the other Delta Force Games did. Also the missions i thought were kinda weird and were not as enjoyable as the go in blow the drugs up, kill everyone, get to the extration point and leave types seen before. It was made to be more realistic except it just got a dirtier feel instead of the clean feel of the earlier games.

Not sure about the other games though.

lonewolf371
08-12-2004, 00:41
Get Soldier of Fortune 2: Double Helix or Gold if you don't already have it, SP is OK but multiplayer is absolutely fantastic. At first if you play online with elimination you'll get creamed a lot, but eventually you start to gain similar skills and discover how many ways to fight. You can lean very well, jumping can be a major part, and overall the amount of skill required (and gained) will leave you breathless. If you find there are some FPS's that you aren't good at right now, this is a game to get.

Lehesu
08-12-2004, 03:14
Splinter Cell is not an FPS. Doesn't play like one at all. My game to throw into the hat would be Aliens Vs. Predator 2. It's like 20 dollars now, and is very fun. Multi is good, but a bit slower (connection-wise) than other games. The single is very fun and oddly satisfying....

Aymar de Bois Mauri
08-12-2004, 05:38
For a classical theme, gorgeous graphics and a scary, but linear gameplay, get DOOM III.

Althought old now, for originality, drivable vehicles and good story and action, get Halo.

For great graphics, story, advanced physics engine, drivable vehicles and non linear gameplay get Half-Life 2. If, on top of what Half-Life 2 brings, you want alternative endings and an RPG character development system, get S.T.A.L.K.E.R. - Shadow of Chernobyl.

Hope this helps...

Degtyarev14.5
08-12-2004, 13:21
Okay, it doesn't offer much in the line of SP, but I've been playing around with a Battlefield 1942 mod named Forgotten Hope. Without any doubt, it is the best mod I've ever seen.

A 1.2Gb download for free!? Believe it, and all of it is simply pure quality. You've gotta check it out.

Forgotten Hope (http://forgottenhope.bf1942files.com/main.html)

A.

Kaiser of Arabia
08-13-2004, 18:31
No one lives forever 2. It's a good game, nice blood and death and it's funny too.

Chimpyang
08-13-2004, 20:16
But dont bother with Contract JACK, NOLF 2 is a lot better, even thoguh in both games the multi is sadly lacking any degree of fun to it.

frogbeastegg
08-13-2004, 21:30
I would add my voice to thr NOLF supporters; I only like a very few FPS but NOLF1 and NOLF2 are in that prestigious group. Fantastic games and now very cheap because they are old. It's worth buying NOLF2 just for the mime on unicycle scene; I laughed myself silly.

Leet Eriksson
08-13-2004, 23:36
NOLF 2's single player is pretty good. i don't know if they have any servers running though...

Kaiser of Arabia
08-13-2004, 23:41
Contract JACK is out? Isn't that the one where your that HARM Assassin?

The monkey scene in Nolf 1 is the funniest moment in Video game history, followed by the any scene in the Nolf Games with magnus Armstrong in them.

Fragony
08-14-2004, 08:36
I was really disapointed with NOLF2, it was just less cool. NOLF1 was full of naughty jokes and funny characters, sometimes so funny I laughed out loud (the beer and crime relation was hilarious). The tornado sequence in part 2 was wild tho

Kaiser of Arabia
08-15-2004, 08:57
yeah, nolf1 was funnier, i would love the gameplay of 2 with the jokes of 1

CrackedAxe
08-15-2004, 13:45
I'll second the Joint Operations vote, its great fun, lots of players and big games online too. Far Cry is great IMO, but the MP seems a little slow to get going.