ie
Barbarian Howler
Necromancer Curser
Paladin Aura... many options
Sorceress Enchant Weapon
Druid Spirit Caller etc

Ser Clegane
08-15-2004, 09:35
I do not have a lot of online experience in Diablo (too many idiots online) so I will probably suck and run around like a headless chicken - but I would definitely be interested (e.g., as Paladin)

Papewaio
08-15-2004, 09:38
Well I am looking at fun and group orientated... so headless chickens are welcome, just watch out for necromancers :D ...Paladins are naturals for group games, as are Druids... but the other classes all have at least one thing they can do to enhance others.

Efrem Da King
08-15-2004, 09:45
WRONG FORUM.

Damn noob! People like you waste the time of mods. ~:joker: .

solypsist
08-15-2004, 09:59
Thanks but no thanks
I can't just "drop out" of real life to do this - and believe me, D2 has taken over my life before. I hid my game CD from myself; it was the only way.

Snowhobbit
08-15-2004, 10:36
I'll join in, is there any need for a barbarian?
Edit: my account name is "Snowhobbit" without the ".

Sjakihata
08-15-2004, 11:07
If I find my cd's (I lost them :( ) I will join in. I have most experience with necor's, however, sorceress is good as well.

A.Saturnus
08-15-2004, 16:38
I would have to reinstall DII, but if you don´t find someone else, I´d do the necro.

IrishMike
08-15-2004, 17:18
Ahhhhhh, caught me to late, I just deinstalled the game and had a level 70 barb that focus was on power. Man that barb could kill anything that walked but unfortuantly it is now to late. ~:mecry: ~:(

Kraellin
08-15-2004, 17:20
this thread is most likely going to be moved, but what did you have in mind? you want to start new characters, import current ones, use mods and/or trainers, run it as a peer to peer or on the dedicated servers so no cheating, or what?

i'm kind of intrigued with this idea, so spell it out ;)

also, why watch out for necros?

K.

Papewaio
08-16-2004, 03:59
I was thinking of new ones focusing on skills that enhance others... oak spirit, auras, curses (well they mean everyone does more damage) etc.

Obviously not much point if all they do is enhance really low stats so I was thinking of a rough 50-50 split between individual skills and group skills as the characters develop... that is just an idea... the main idea is just to have fun with MTW patrons.

So low level fun games... not speed, race to the end.

BTW the Games Arena is about reviewing games in a semi-serious manner more then arranging games... I already have a Geisha at home to treat with care, I don't want to have to dodge virtual hairpins as well :bow:

Papewaio
08-16-2004, 07:15
Also thinking of making a group that can handle lag... have all the names with XXXXLAG or XXXXLAGER... as you pop another one and wait for the lag to stop... the best way to combat lag is to create it...

Make a group primarily of Necros and Druids with lots of minions... sure due to lag you can't do much other then ~:cheers: but your fire and forget minions will do a lot of the work ~D

Ironside
08-16-2004, 08:16
Why not?

Need to reinstall the game though.

frogbeastegg
08-16-2004, 08:19
BTW the Games Arena is about reviewing games in a semi-serious manner more then arranging games... I already have a Geisha at home to treat with care, I don't want to have to dodge virtual hairpins as well :bow:
The arena is about any game that is not TW, the serious review thing is only a single facet. You might find you get a larger audience in this forum; I'm not sure how the numbers pan out.

Diablo II, I have to keep that game off my hard drive and safely packed away. I had a dual sword wielding barb with that skill that makes you do two attacks really quickly; the 'splatsplat splatsplat' sound of him hewing a horde to death was so...addictive. And don't even mention Mephisto runs to try and get better equipment, the hours I wasted... I only played SP though.

Never again, I never want to spend time agonising over what to keep in that puny stash again!

EDIT: Krae, the necro thing is a joke. Ser Clegane said he would run around like a headless chicken; headless chickens are dead and vulnerable to necros raising them.

Hetman_Koronny
08-16-2004, 08:32
I still play that game at least once a week. Only in SP though. Somehow was never attracted to multi, but now I would love to give it a try.
I’ve 78lvl Assassin (HalleBerry ~:p) on Hell. I don’t know if I could join others here – I own a localized game version (Polish)…

spmetla
08-16-2004, 09:19
Erasing the past...

Ja'chyra
08-16-2004, 09:37
I've got the game but never played, but I'll be up for it if you don't mind a complete noob playing.

Muneyoshi
08-16-2004, 11:42
So you guys gonna pull some MTW battle tactics? Will you guys try formations and flanking or is it going to be a bunch of individuals in a group?
Pffft what a question....of course they'll bring in tactics to it ~:p

Id join this, but I gave my game away to a m8 because I played it too much ~:mecry:

I wish I still had my account, it was awesome ~:mecry:

Papewaio
08-16-2004, 15:14
Tactics... is often in the build in most Diablo games... but teamwork is also quite often the case... tactics 'LEB...RUN!' hopefully go beyond that.

Tactics though tends to require a lack of lag...

A.Saturnus
08-16-2004, 22:53
Sorry about the delay in moving. My Mod powers weren´t up to their full strength.

Actually I planned never to install DII again, but a slow game is tempting. Plus, I´ve been told I´m a rather good Necro-player.

Papewaio
08-17-2004, 02:55
Well if you guys pick a server (Europe/Asia/US) then we can play a slow game for starters.

Minion heavy... let them do the fighting... sit back have a beer or something stronger.

Clear the field above.
Then clear the dungeon below.
Then move onto the next field.

Think about group tactics/enhancements... so a Paladin/Necro/Druid group primarily but all are welcome.

Not
Super single player character build, quest only, town portal waypoints, Demon runs.

Papewaio
08-17-2004, 07:23
Right now playing on the ASIA server...

game name MTW...

AuraMTW is the character... no password as yet.... can change servers to suit others... particularly if we play a laggy laid back game.

:knight:

Papewaio
08-17-2004, 08:45
Make that MTW2

Demon of Light
08-17-2004, 10:52
THis certainly sounds interesting. Unfortunately, I lost the CD key for the expansion. This is bad because Diablo II is currently not playable on the computer and needs to be re-installed.

Just a suggestion but rather than run around with high power characters, why not start a group game from scratch? Lvl 1 necros running around actually teaming up to take on the Den of Evil might be more exciting than slaughtering Mephisto for the umpteenth time hoping he'll drop a Stone of Jordan.

Papewaio
08-17-2004, 11:12
Thats what I am thinking low level, team player characters who are strolling along not go on Mephisto runs looking for that final piece of a set you aren't even going to use...

Ser Clegane
08-17-2004, 12:24
I agree with the idea to really build up a party of level 1 rookies and just have some fun without trying to level up and collect equipment at all costs.

How should we proceed with this? It seems that the interested players will cover almost the full range of time zones so I guess during the week it will be rather difficult to get all people on board.
Should we try to setup something for the weekend? Or should whoever is setting up an MTW/Diablo game just post here and see if anybody is going to join?

Papewaio
08-17-2004, 16:08
I would say keep it relaxed and start low.
Just post when you want to go.

Once you have a few people you can start with a proper group of 1st levels.

For instance:
Server:
Asia
Game:
MTW

And I will be playing for about the next 20 minutes :D

Kraellin
08-17-2004, 20:28
lol. re-install it last night. been a long while since i've played. was quite surprised how fun it still is.

got one minor problem as the game starts up or shuts down. it seems to go dead until i alt-tab out of it and then come back. it's like it's waiting for me to do something that i cant do, but alt-tabbing to desktop and then clicking back on diablo ii in the taskbar seems to get it going again.

are you playing with the most recent patch, pape, and are you on the dedicated closed servers or on the open ones? i'm up for a few levels either way. i just have to patch yet and dont have any of the expansions.

K.

The_Emperor
08-17-2004, 20:57
Diablo 2? man I haven't been on that in a long time. So your looking at creating an org team? I'd be game for it.

Is this with or without the Lord of Destruction set?

Kraellin
08-17-2004, 21:08
ok. i'm in on the battlenet servers. started a necro in game 'mtw folks' with game description something like mtw for .org folks. i can only get in on the u.s. east server, however. doesnt offer me asia or europe or west coast. also, seem the battlenet servers auto-patch you, so that's not a concern :)

i'll go back in now and start the thing again. you may not be able to join my game cause of routers and firewalls, but i'll come in here from time to time and maybe i can join yours :)

K.

Kraellin
08-17-2004, 21:10
oh, password is: 'orgfolks' without the quotes :)

K.

The_Emperor
08-17-2004, 21:29
Well if you guys are on the US realms then it looks like I will have to join and start over... All my characters (providing they are still there after this time) were on Europe.

The_Emperor
08-17-2004, 21:48
Oh well looks like I have to start over then folks, all my old characters have gone! (Damn you MTW, you kept me away from Diablo for more than 90 days)

Are we using Expansion characters or originals? Because I am on the Expansion.

Kraellin
08-17-2004, 22:52
i've just got the original with the battlenet updates.

K.

Papewaio
08-18-2004, 10:20
Just made a non-expansion paladin for USA east coast... will be playing

Name
mtw

password
papewaio

Crandaeolon
08-18-2004, 10:46
I'm still occasionally playing Expansion Hardcore Ladder on Europe realm. Main account is "Crandaeolon", so no surprises there.

I really recommend Hardcore, especially for low-level untwinked play. Makes things much more exciting. ;) You only need a single character on your computer that has beaten Baal on normal difficulty; this can be a hacked char or downloaded from someone else. Then you will be able to create hardcore chars right away even on the Realms.

If you play EHCL on Europe, do add me to your friends list and give a hello if you see me. I'd be happy to play with a relatively trustworthy player, as usually I just solo in public games when leveling.

I can play just about any build of any class, so if there's a team going on already I can round it up. Playing Softcore is a distant possibility, too. :P

>> you may not be able to join my game cause of routers and firewalls

Routers and firewalls don't matter a thing, the game is hosted on battlenet servers. If you can be in a game, so can everyone else, don't worry.

Remember to use the friendlist commands too, they are a great help in getting in touch with others.

Papewaio
08-18-2004, 11:02
Okay... have a Europe account... HC druid ready to start..

Crandaeolon
08-18-2004, 11:04
Ok, I caught up with Pape, and for now we decided to move on to Europe realm. In a few mins I'll create a game, stats below:

Europe realm
Expansion Hardcore Ladder
Name: mtw
Password: org

I propose that we use totally new chars, with no hand-me-down items from other chars.

See ya there! :)

Papewaio
08-18-2004, 11:06
cool... ready to roll

Crandaeolon
08-18-2004, 11:11
Game is up.

Papewaio
08-18-2004, 11:11
No game mtw/org... then game is full????

Ser Clegane
08-18-2004, 12:05
If a game will be running after 6 pm CET I would be interested to join in (preferrably as Paladin but other characters would be fine two)

Otherwise I might start a game on the Europe server this evening and will then post the details here.

The_Emperor
08-18-2004, 13:05
I normally play around 7pm (BST) on the Europe realm (with expansion). My account name is IIRC The_Emperor_101

Though I am still uncertain as to what character type to build as yet... Any ideas?

Papewaio
08-18-2004, 13:06
HC... playing around with the auras... holy fire doesn't help the rest of the guys so not much use...

Had fun, but at 11th level my Paladin just died... thankfully it was an experimental version... would love to play with a larger group of Paladins... the auras would really compound then.

Crandaeolon
08-18-2004, 13:58
Oh well, Sir Goldhaft met an untimely demise at the hands of a skeleton archer miniboss. (Read from bottom to top)

http://personal.inet.fi/private/jonsu/Screenshot001.jpg

This time, however, his deeds of valor will be remembered by Sir Percivilis, who also avenged his comrade by destroying the vile skeleton in a mighty battle.

Percy will continue his journeys, destined to become a well-built Hammerdin/Charger hybrid should higher powers allow it.

It would indeed be nice to start from scratch with a larger group, but I don't think we'll ever get more than a few people online at the same time. IMO we should get together when we can and play perhaps several characters so that we have a char close to the current group's level.

For example, Percy is now around level 10. Should a group decide to play tonight, I won't be able to join due to RL issues. The group may get a couple of hours of playing time, perhaps even completing Act 1 and advancing to around lvl 14-15. I could then join the group tomorrow with Percy, so that everyone doesn't need to start from scratch. Percy would be a few levels behind, but that doesn't matter all that much; the group could help him thru the catacombs to get Percy into Act 2, where he could just play normally and the levels would eventually even out.

I'd like to suggest a few conventions to make things more steamlined (very much open to debate, of course):

- we decide a common Realm (Europe?)

- we'd play the Expansion: 1.10 is quite well balanced and interesting; also allows the Druid, who is an excellent party class due to Oak Sage and minions. For those who don't have the expansion, it should be dirt-cheap (~5 euros) by now.

- we'd play Hardcore: HC forces methodical play in PvM and we probably won't want to duel between ourselves; Player Killers will not be a problem if we play in passworded games; and, because we start from scratch, character death doesn't matter much. And, we could (and should) loot each other if we happen to croak and have some nice equipment.

- we'd play Ladder: this is simply because everyone else plays ladder. Doesn't matter much, though, since we'd start from scratch and the economy would be closed anyway.

- we'd create new characters for this, with clean equipment (only found in-game or traded from other members of the group.) It'd really ruin a low-level game to wear a Sigon's set...

- we should tag each other with the /f command to see if others are online at the moment. Makes it easy to get in touch. This would also lessen the need to visit this thread to see if others are playing at the moment.

Ser Clegane
08-18-2004, 14:03
- we should tag each other with the /f command to see if others are online at the moment. Makes it easy to get in touch. This would also lessen the need to visit this thread to see if others are playing at the moment.

Sounds all very good Crandaeolon!

How do you to this tagging (and what is the effect?) ~:confused:

Crandaeolon
08-18-2004, 14:50
Now some thoughts on the different classes. Please add your own as well!

The Paladin is always a strong choice. He has a plenty of useful auras for parties, for example Might and Defiance combined are fine for low-level play, later on Concentration, Fanaticism and Conviction are great offensive auras. Vigor, Meditation and Salvation are always useful. The pala could even spread skill points rather wide and still stay viable for casual play. Paladins are only mediocre combat characters, though, especially early on.

The Druid has Oak Sage, which boosts the hitpoints of nearby characters, and a variety of minions to provide tanking support. A strong emphasis on an elemental skill or two could provide good artillery power later on. A druid focusing on shapeshifting is a great tank. In general, the Druid is a relatively safe class to play with.

The Necro is a great party character because of his curses and minions. Amplify damage is a fine all-purpose curse, available right from the beginning to boot. Dim Vision and Attract are good at crowd control and Decrepify is indispensable against strong monsters like bosses. However, too many minions can result in performance problems on slow computers, so the necro shouldn't go overboard with them. The summoning Necro is probably the safest character to play HC with.

The Barbarian is another strong contender for co-op play with his Warcries. Although his ultimate party skill, Battle Orders, is available only at lvl 24, Shout (lvl 6) could be used early on. Of course, the Barb is an extremely strong tank, which is useful to the party in itself. A throw barb, focusing in Double Throw, is a pretty safe class to play, but accidents do sometimes happen to melee barbs.

The Assassin makes a surprisingly good party member with her stealth skills and traps. Cloak of Shadows (lvl 12) blinds surrounding monsters and lowers their defense, and the various traps can provide good artillery support. Later on, Mind Blast is great for crowd control. Her primary minion (Shadow Master) is probably the best summonable in the game, but available late at lvl 30. A Trapper assassin is a safe class to play, but a Martial Artist can be quite fragile and requires a fast ping and nimble fingers.

The Sorceress does not have many skills that directly benefit party members, Enchant (lvl 18) being the only one that comes to mind. Later on the Sorc has so formidable attack spells that the party benefits from her sheer killing power, but the sorc is not a good class for low-level cooperative play. Sorcs are also rather fragile.

The Amazon is arguably the weakest class for party play. She does have a strong minion, the Valkyrie, but it's available only at lvl 30. Inner Sight is available at 1st level and is slightly useful by lowering enemy defense, but if there is a Necro in the party, the enemies probably have a curse on them that Inner Sight would negate. Like Sorceresses, Amazons can be fragile; they are also very weapon-dependant.

Crandaeolon
08-18-2004, 15:06
>> How do you to this tagging (and what is the effect?)

It's a friend list thingie. You type /f add (accountname) to put someone into your friend list. For example, /f add Crandaeolon would put me to the list.

You're then notified whenever I log onto Battlenet and whenever I create/join/leave any games.

You can also type /f list to see a status report on all your friends.

Once you see that someone is online, typing /w *(accountname) would send that someone a private message (it works whether the person is in chat or in game)

/reply allows you to reply to a private message without writing the whole username.

/f msg will send a message to everyone on your list.

All these commands can be found under the in-game help button, though ya might need to join a chat channel first.

Creating a private channel is simple: just click the "Channel" button and type anything in the box.

The_Emperor
08-18-2004, 15:32
Well I'd rather not do hardcore... My characters tend to die at the wrong times, such as bad bosses and I don't like to lose them.

Anyway I am going to start up a MA Assassin. I hear they rock.

Papewaio
08-18-2004, 15:37
Something to add... although druids and sorcs are cannons... they do tend to de-emphasise cooperation... they treat the rest like meat shields and then just spam away with area effect spells in a click fest... not exactly tactically intelligent... more like nuking the field.

Also Barbarians can create potion... humble it may seem until you have 16 100% regeneration potions at your constant disposale and your are playing HC.

But the main thing is having fun, if you can be cooperative all the better, main idea is play something you enjoy.

BTW add:

/f add Papewaio007

Ser Clegane
08-18-2004, 17:40
Thanks a lot for the explaination Crandaeolon.

My accountname would be: Barristan

Kraellin
08-18-2004, 21:06
whelp, you gents must be playing on europe and/or expansion packs, cause i've been in two days in a row and havent seen a one of you. i'm current running a character named KraellinNec. does the friends list go by account names or character names? and are you guys playing on the open b-net servers or the dedicated?

K.

Ser Clegane
08-18-2004, 21:16
I am playing with the expansion - I just tried to create a non-expansion Paladin for US East but it seems that although I marked "expansion" off during the character creation I still ended up with an expansion character ~:confused:

Edit: The friends list goes by account name

Kraellin
08-18-2004, 21:29
ok, thanks Ser.

hmm, might just have to get the expansion.

and what are those listings of 'hardcore, hardcore expansion, and a couple others'? i think that stuff was in the 'ladder' stuff, but not sure.

K.

Ser Clegane
08-18-2004, 21:34
hardcore characters stay dead and are lost permanently once they have been killed.

I tried hardcore characters a couple of times in SP but I came to the conclusion that I do not particularly enjoy losing my characters permanently after I spent several evenings developing them ~:mecry:

Kraellin
08-18-2004, 21:49
ah, that would change things a bit :) might be fun to run around in the first overall level that way, but yeah, once you start getting up there, that can be a bit rough losing a high level character.

K.

Papewaio
08-19-2004, 02:36
Sort of rough, but it gives the game a more satisfying edge... also if you allow your body to be looted and the guys are half decent then they will give you back your stuff...

Also as long as we maximise for our current level (rather then long term build) it might be a good idea to rotate out our guys as they will 'age' badly.

Papewaio
08-19-2004, 05:12
europe HC

game
mtw

password
org

Crandaeolon
08-19-2004, 11:38
I've lost a few 70+ level chars, the highest was a lvl 85 Hammer-Paladin. I was happily doing a routine solo run in Worldstone Keep on hell difficulty and happened to meet an Extra Fast, Extra Strong, Fanaticism enchanted Minotaur boss pack. About 2k life gone in 0.5 seconds, death happened so fast I could barely react.

I stared at the monitor for a few seconds, letting it sink in, then uttered a couple of profanities, got up and paced about the room, swearing to never touch D2 again.

Close calls are the best. Getting away from a tough situation with just a sliver of life is very exhilarating, which is quite a feat from a form of non-physical entertainment. The irreversible "death" only serves to heighten it. Of course, losing something that you have worked on for a long time can be disheartening, but a 75ish character can be replaced in an evening or two, and that's about as far as I have patience to develop chars these days. After that, it's just endless Baal runs. And, with just a few basic tips death is quite easy to avoid except on Hell difficulty, where it can happen any time.

I'd like to ask you guys to consider Hardcore, if you happen to lose a char I'll gladly assist you in building a new one close to the same level. ~:)

The_Emperor
08-19-2004, 12:38
Well I try to prevent myself from dying anyway but sometimes its unavoidable. Last night my anti virus decided to update itself right in the middle of a raging battle (not good, and sadly I cannot disable the auto-update feature) and killed off my assassin.

So if its all the same to you guys I'll stay away from HC.

Papewaio
08-19-2004, 13:43
Can't you select a different time for the anti-virus update... most of them have that function...so it won't interfer with peak times of use.

The_Emperor
08-19-2004, 14:44
Well if there is I haven't found it. ANyway I'm happy away from HC, you see I don't like my characters to be deleted.

Crandaeolon
08-19-2004, 16:52
I'm happy away from HC, you see I don't like my characters to be deleted.

That's quite understandable, and it doesn't really matter which mode we play, since the objective is to play a "closed" economy with new chars.

I hope that you're comfortable with creating somewhat unoptimized characters; for example a Pala might put points into low-level auras like Defiance or Might, then move on to Concentration; something that most powergamers would never do.

I think there is (at least for me & Papewaio when we played) an unspoken rule to spend skill points as you get 'em and not hoard them for high-level skills.

Kraellin
08-20-2004, 05:51
ok, i've forgotten how to put gems together to make bigger gems. did you need the cube for that or was it something else?

oh, and i got a trainer for my single player game. lol. i'm such a cheat ;)

K.

Papewaio
08-20-2004, 06:38
Yes get the cube later... but if you are maximising your current character those gems can be very useful now, while later on those chips become annoying wastes of space.

----

Just post when you start a game... server, type (hardcore, expansion or not etc) and name of game and password... makesure it is the correct case.

Have Fun and catch you guys soon...

Kraellin
08-20-2004, 06:45
ok. thanks pape :)

K.

Papewaio
08-20-2004, 08:00
Ok post when you have a game... right now I will much around on the Europe Hardcore...

mtw

org

But Krae if you are playing drop a note in here and I will swap across ... at least see if I can!

The_Emperor
08-20-2004, 08:40
It would be handy if we had a list of account names to add to buddy lists.

Also is it possible to PM someone while still in a game? I got a message from Ser Clegane last night but didn't know how to respond.

LittleGrizzly
08-20-2004, 08:45
well there is a way to keep save a charachter so if he dies on hardcore he's still alive but im guessing you most probably now that and dont want to cheat.....

Ser Clegane
08-20-2004, 08:56
It would be handy if we had a list of account names to add to buddy lists.

Also is it possible to PM someone while still in a game? I got a message from Ser Clegane last night but didn't know how to respond.

Good to know that I am not the only one struggling with the Diablo-communication-system ~:shock:

Crandaeolon posted some infos on sending messages earlier in the thread:

/reply allows you to reply to a private message without writing the whole username.

I am not sure though if this also works if you are "in-game"

Regarding the account names - I saw the following so far in this thread:

The_Emperor: "The_Emperor_101"
Papewaio: "Papewaio007"
Crandaeolon: "Crandaeolon"
Ser Clegane: "Barristan"
Kraellin: "Kraellin"
Ironside: "MTWIronside"

Papewaio
08-20-2004, 09:01
New HC game 1st level Europe

mtw2
org

Crandaeolon
08-20-2004, 10:42
well there is a way to keep save a charachter so if he dies on hardcore he's still alive but im guessing you most probably now that and dont want to cheat.....

That's in single player & open battlenet only. We're playing on the realms, and the characters are stored on Bnet servers, so there's no way to get 'em back once they bite it.

Today me, Pape and Ironside managed to get to level 10+ without anyone dying or even getting close. Playing HC is just fine, it's easier to play substandard characters because you know they will die someday. I put points in Find Potion, can you believe... ~D

There's also much better lag protection in 1.10 HC that doesn't exist in SC. In effect, you can't die when you're timing out, so the nasty lag-deaths should be mostly eliminated. *knocks on wood*

Also is it possible to PM someone while still in a game?

Yep, it works even across different games within Battlenet. In theory, you could send a PM to someone playing Starcraft or WC. You reply with /reply or /w *(accountname). If you don't want to receive messages, use /dnd (do not disturb) or /squelch (an extreme measure.)

Papewaio
08-20-2004, 10:45
Well just got back from the school so I am ready to rock for another 2 hours

Crandaeolon
08-20-2004, 10:46
Regarding the account names - I saw the following so far in this thread:

Papeweio: "Papeweio007"
Kraellin: N/A

Remember the correct spelling, or Pape will get cross. It's "Papewaio007".

We met a new guy, MTWIronside, today.

Ser Clegane
08-20-2004, 10:55
Remember the correct spelling, or Pape will get cross. It's "Papewaio007".

We met a new guy, MTWIronside, today.

oops ... no wonder I never actaully saw him online :embarassed:

I corrected the list

Papewaio
08-20-2004, 10:59
Post when you start a game...

Crandaeolon
08-20-2004, 11:05
I already did, the usual mtw//org. Won't be around for long, though. Gotta go photoshoot some fine Samurai items! Yay!

Edit: Oh well, have to go now. And guys, remember that you can use the /f list command to see the whereabouts of the peeps on your list.

Papewaio
08-20-2004, 11:59
Okay my MTW game just collapsed as I went to save ~:dizzy:

So back to MTW

Europe HC
mtw
org

Kraellin
08-20-2004, 15:55
my account name is Kraellin . going to start a new hc game on US-East. it's currently 9:54 central time, which is -6 gmt.

game: MTW
pw org (no caps)

K.

Kraellin
08-20-2004, 16:36
lol. finally connected up with pape. he's fairly fast, so no sedate game there :) but fun. we both ran lvl 1's, him a barb and me a necro. made 5 levels in very short order. does the make potion spell use corpses, pape? i seemed to have a hard time finding any at times to make skeletons.

K.

Kraellin
08-20-2004, 17:28
is the hardcore thing only something you get with the expansion pack? i couldnt seem to create a hardcore game that i was aware of.

Crandaeolon
08-20-2004, 18:58
is the hardcore thing only something you get with the expansion pack? i couldnt seem to create a hardcore game that i was aware of.

Nope, it's just that you haven't completed the game in normal more. In expansion 1.10 this is no longer necessary; if you have any character on your machine or on any of your accounts that has defeated Baal, you can create HC chars. You can even download a single player character to accomplish this, or edit a single line in the windows registry.

BTW, can you access the Europe realm, Krae?

Kraellin
08-20-2004, 19:02
nope. cant get anything but us-east. dont know why; i used to be able to get us-west and europe and even asia sometimes when i was first playing this game. for some reason i seem to be locked out of everything but us-east now.

K.

Papewaio
08-21-2004, 08:28
Before clicking on Battlenet... is there a slim button beneath it with US-East on it?

If so click on that and you should be able to choose another server... unless it is a restriction for non-upgraded versions...

Snowhobbit
08-21-2004, 20:53
you coould add "snowhobbit" to the list to, extremly creative username :).

Ser Clegane
08-21-2004, 22:49
Updated account list:

Papewaio: "Papewaio007"
Kraellin: "Kraellin"
Ironside: "MTWIronside"
Snowhobbit: "snowhobbit"

Kraellin
08-21-2004, 23:21
pape,

yes, i have a slim button with useast on it. i've tried the thing that asks you which server you want to connect to, but the only option i get is the us-east server. i remember when the game first came out, i could connect with us-west, us-east, europe, and someimtes even asia... and that was with 56k. i also remember that not all of them were always available and i think that was due to a lag minder that simply didnt allow you to connect to servers where your latency was too large. but now, i dont know. i'm running broadband and i would have thought i'd be able to connect to more servers, not less. obviously some can, since you got into my us-east game, so i dont know what's going on. i'll keep fussing with it.

btw, i created a necro wand in the single player game that gives me 4 skels, and 4 mage skels :) some other things too. i limited my cheating to just that one item. lol. it's hilarious. oh, one of the other items is the increased chance of finding magic items.... + 155 percent :) you shld see the rares and uniques i'm getting, not to mention gems :)

K.

Crandaeolon
08-21-2004, 23:41
Krae you bad boy you... ;)

I'm currently trying to get a decent MF char going, something that could kill bosses quickly and solo some juicy areas in hell difficulty. I already have a good skelemancer with about 350% magic find, but he's very slow in the boss killing department. I think I'll do a sorceress, but the cookie-cutter meteor+frozen orb build is so devastatingly mainstream that I already hate it without even trying it first.

I think I'll do a fire+lightning sorcy, and I'll have to start it from pretty much zero since my luck in finding sorceress stuff has been quite minimal. And I lost an entire Sigon's set, a bunch of str and life charms and some other good starter gear in a muling accident, so I can't twink her even if I wanted to. Never ever mule solo in passworded games if you can help it! >:/

Anyways, I'd like to play along with you guys, since it's always such a pain to get a sorc going. I would min/max it though, so in keeping with the spirit of this group I should probably play her in my own time...

Kraellin
08-22-2004, 05:13
ok pape, i figured it out. i thought i had clicked on the slim button before, but apparently hadnt. that did the trick :)

crand, i dont mind a sorc in our games, or any char type for that matter. in fact, the more the merrier. the hard part is getting together with you guys. pape is in asia, i'm in the u.s. and not sure where you are. pape seems to be on mostly in what is the morning for me and except for weekends, i'm heading out the door to work when he's on and he's prolly in bed when i'm on in the afternoons and evenings. we did get together once for a brief time, but that was only cause i had the day off.

also guys, there are a LOT of hacks out there, even ones that work in the closed servers. i did a little scouting around on some sites tonight and found some interesting things. apparently there's a hack that lets folks take your items while you're in a trade with them, and something about a 'pickit' hack. i can only imagine what that one is. there are also map hacks and a rumor of a 'godmode' hack, but not sure that one is on the closed servers. so, be a little cautious and all this is another reason for playing passworded games tween ourselves.

perhaps when i get my new dsl, i'll host some games on my machine. you could then run all your favorite chars for a mad hack 'n slash :)

K.

Kraellin
08-22-2004, 05:19
oh, in the meantime, let's standardize our game names and passwords so everyone is using the same thing. pape started this with 'MTW' as the game name and 'org' as the password. if everyone uses the same thing, and checks the 'join' listing first before creating their own game, we stand a better chance of meeting up. just use the same name and pw on all servers you play on. also, if we standardize the server we play on, it will be easier to check. i'd say the europe server might be best, since it's in the middle geographically. i'll prolly get the expansion set the next time i go to the store, but for now, if you could play on the original D2 for these games, that would be great. and, i play at no set time, but i'm mostly free in the afternoons and evenings and weekends, gmt -6.

K.

Muneyoshi
08-22-2004, 06:58
The trade hack gives you a photo of a diff item Krae. Pick-it is an auto-grabber. Maphack is a well known one, 9/10 people use it. Godmode = fake. Unless its on open, easy to be a "god" on open.

Papewaio
08-22-2004, 09:08
I'm in the 1/10th for maphack... not really that much of a speed player.

frogbeastegg
08-22-2004, 09:09
i created a necro wand in the single player game that gives me 4 skels, and 4 mage skels :) some other things too. i limited my cheating to just that one item. lol. it's hilarious. oh, one of the other items is the increased chance of finding magic items.... + 155 percent :) you shld see the rares and uniques i'm getting, not to mention gems :)

K.
How did you do that? The idea of creating uber items to mess about with for fun is temping, so tempting I might risk re-installing the game and fooling about in SP.

Crandaeolon
08-22-2004, 09:23
The trade hack gives you a photo of a diff item Krae.

Or, it could mean the hack that sends the server a network packet that tells it that the other player pressed the "agree" button when trading. Doesn't work in 1.10, fortunately.

I've never used any hacks too. Illegit playing is just stupid. I could see using a scanhack (lets you see what equipment other players have) to make sure that duels or hunt games are legit, but unfortunately it's connected with maphack i think.

How did you do that? The idea of creating uber items to mess about with for fun is temping, so tempting I might risk re-installing the game and fooling about in SP.

Modding quide here: http://www.planetdiablo.com/modding/

The_Emperor
08-22-2004, 10:17
Ok sounds good, ifyou guys are all on Hardcore then I will create a char.

Also I don't use Map hack... I am aware that Blizzard is taking action against hack users these days and I'd rather not have them deactivate my cd-key just because I was too lazy to explore!

EDIT: OK Guys I am online now.

Papewaio
08-22-2004, 15:40
europe
sc
mtw
org

Kraellin
08-22-2004, 15:42
froggy,

i used a trainer, or cheat utility, called 'zonefire99'. it also goes by the name of 'hero 80' or for the new 1.10 version of the game, 'hero 82'. this is a very full featured hero editor and item creator/importer. you can pretty much do anything with this thing as long as you follow certain guidelines and parameters. you can hack your open char's stats, money, and so on and create your own items or import standard game items from files into your character's possesion. you can also find the files of items to be imported on various sites. i didnt get those. i just got the trainer, so i made my own item. i gave it 7 in raise skel, 7 in raise skel mage and 7 in clay golem, along with the increased chance to find magic items and extra gold.

it's fairly easy to use, once you get used to the interface and how it works. it can handle both expansion characters and non-expansion, but you have to be a bit careful using non-expansion, since the trainer doesnt provide much control over trying to use expansion items on non-expansion chars. i fiddled around with it for a while and made a couple items incorrectly at first. when i'd load the game up and look at the items i'd made, they'd say things like 'missing string' and other error messages, but i did finally figure enough of it out to make a legit looking wand :)

it's a fun char to run when i just want to kill massive amounts in a short time :)

K.

Kraellin
08-22-2004, 15:48
emperor,

you're using the expansion game. i cant enter your game. i can tell that it's there cause when i type in MTW and org i get the message that i cant join using a non-expansion char to join an expansion game. :(

boy, you guys are going to force me to get the ex pack, arent you.

K.

Kraellin
08-22-2004, 23:25
yup, i blame it all on pape. i went out to the store and bought the ex pack ;) havent installed it yet, but soon :)

K.

Papewaio
08-23-2004, 04:34
Hmm runes are good... so are shrunken heads for Necros... a few good things... the expansion is almost and entire new game in toys.

If only the TW series could match Blizzard in after game support it would take off a lot further... mind you they probably are going to munchkin it and go down the MOO3 route...

Kraellin
08-23-2004, 05:04
ok, assassins are definitely cool :)

K.

The_Emperor
08-23-2004, 09:22
Glad you have joined the expansion Krae.

(Look at all that extra stash space!) ~;)

Crandaeolon
08-23-2004, 15:17
RTW demo refuses to install under vanilla 98, so I guess I'll be amusing myself with Diablo 2 for some time still. ~:dizzy:

Gonna be online in an hour or two, check the friendlist. Or look for the following game: damn you ca//org in Europe HC.

Kraellin
08-23-2004, 20:56
ok, druids are cool too, though that poison vine thing gives me the creeps ;)

i started an expansion druid on the european server. still young, but you guys seem to be playing mostly in my morning and i'm not home much then. i'm posting this at about 3 in the afternoon here, so that's about 11 to 12 for the europeans and god knows what for pape. would be nice if we could all get together.

yeah, the extra stash space is very nice. the charms dont seem worth keeping in inventory so far. got one giant one that took up 3 inventorys spaces and only gave +3 dex. stuck it in my stash. just wasnt worth the space. only found one jewel so far and that was only a +1 to light, so tossed that too. does the ethereal stuff do anything extra other than what it states in the popup? there was a little thing in the readme file that sort of hinted that ethereal had an unknown property that might be beneficial.

the little creepy vine is cool. werewolf is definitely cool. the ravens, um, ok. and some of the other stuff looks pretty good. that vine is definitely hard to kill, though blood raven managed it, but none of the normal npc's could kill it. nice :) i keep expecting the thing to reach up and strangle me, though ;)

K.

Crandaeolon
08-23-2004, 22:30
Right now it's a bit past midnight here in Finland, GMT +2. Sleep time. ~:p

Charms can be very useful. Like magic (blue) items, they can have a prefix and a suffix. For example, a Shimmering small charm of Vita could mean +5 to all resistances and +16 to life = a valuable little thing. Grand charms can have bonuses to skills, for example +1 to summoning skills or +1 to martial arts.

Charms can patch weak resistances nicely or boost life and mana. +strength charms are useful early on, particularly when combined with other mods. Keep an eye out for +life, +mana, resistance and magic find charms.

Ethereal items can't be repaired, but their damage and other stats are higher. Ethereals are good mercenary gear because items worn by mercs don't lose durability. Duelists and Player Killers value ethereal weapons because they can have the highest potential damage in the game, and they can get quite a bit of mileage out of eths if they use them only against other players.

Kraellin
08-23-2004, 23:59
cool. thanks crand :)

K.

Papewaio
08-24-2004, 02:42
I'm GMT +8... a little out of step with USA...

Kraellin
08-28-2004, 13:24
going to start a game soon...

european server

game: MTW

pw: org

K.

Kraellin
08-28-2004, 13:31
hmmm, when i create that game name, it says it already exists, but if i try to join that game name, it says it doesnt exist. what's up with that? you guys got a hardcore game going or something? i cant do hardcore yet.

will put a diff game name up: MTW II

pw: org

running an 11th level druid still in the first act.

K.

Papewaio
08-28-2004, 14:40
Still playing on europe?

Papewaio
08-28-2004, 14:46
Just post where and what you are playing when you play... my times are a bit eccentric right now...

Kraellin
08-28-2004, 17:34
ok. had a game with emporer. did the entire first act :)

seems you cant run ladder with non-ladder chars, so emp and i both rolled up starting chars in non-ladder. other than being on the ladder list, and not being able to play with non-ladder, is there any other reason to roll up ladder or non?

pape. whenever i post in here for a game, it will always be on the european server, since that one is central to you, me and others, being on 3 diff continents.

K.

The_Emperor
08-28-2004, 22:13
I think we should post the game name, password and character joining requirements...

so hardcore/ladder

or softcore/non-ladder

Just a sugguestion.

Crandaeolon
08-29-2004, 12:14
other than being on the ladder list, and not being able to play with non-ladder, is there any other reason to roll up ladder or non?

Well, there are a lot of ladder-only items, runewords and Horadric cube recipes. The economy is a bit healthier. Not much besides that, though.

I created a new account and tried to get into your game yesterday, but it claimed that the game didn't exist. I tried it with both ladder- and non-ladder SC chars... I wonder if the game name was case-sensitive or there was an extra space or something.

Kraellin
08-30-2004, 04:12
crand,

yes, i think we crashed mtw and then mtw ii and made a third, but got it with one capital 'I' in there, so it was MTW Iii :) when a given game crashes it seems to stay resident within the server's memory and you cant make a new one of the same name for a while, till the memory clears or something; hence the new names.

been playing around with the trainer some more. lol. out-foxxed myself again. made a nice staff for my entry level char, but the staff ended up being level 26 or better :)

K.

Papewaio
08-31-2004, 08:03
Post when you start a game...

Muneyoshi
09-15-2004, 20:15
I think im gonna start playing again so I have something to keep my entertained until I get my comp in November or early December. Are we playing on the Europe server mainly or what?

Kraellin
09-15-2004, 20:19
the european servers was where i was trying to organize this a bit, but since i started playing doom 3, i havent played any more D2 :) might get back to it later.

K.

Crandaeolon
09-15-2004, 20:56
I still play D2 sometimes, mostly because there is a dead spell of interesting games that would run on my computer. I bet the industry is bracing for the fall/holiday season.

I've occasionally seen Emperor online, but the others have vanished. If Rome is good, there will probably be even less Org'ers playing D2... ~;)

Kraellin
09-16-2004, 22:22
i think doom3 and the rtw demo killed it :) and rtw, the full game is going to hurt it even more ;)

K.

Crandaeolon
10-18-2004, 16:51
*dusts off thread*

Well. Since RTW multiplayer turned out to be a no-no, I ended up playing this old flogged-to-death horse a bit more than was the intention. Anyways, I finally finished the objective that I decided to do when the expansion came out: to complete the game from Normal to Hell difficulty with a Hardcore character unaided by other players, items from other chars, cheats or exploits.

It was quite a journey, actually. Yes, sometimes repetitive and boring, but often fun and challenging. Especially Hell difficulty, where death was close at least a dozen times. I _really_ hated Maggot Lair. I _truly_ hated Burning Souls. And most of all I hated Hell Ancients... :furious3:

The character was a necromancer specialising in summoning, of course; most other chars would have serious problems without outside aid. Guardian Calimski is now a 84th level necromancer, and will enjoy happy retirement days filled with scantily clad women and shots of tequila.

Looks like I'm pretty much done with Diablo 2. If anyone needs assistance in the form of items or boosting on Europe Hardcore Ladder, gimme a note. ~D

Kraellin
10-18-2004, 18:29
hehehe. i love it, crand. i think we've all gotten some pretty amazing mileage out of that game.

K.

Blodrast
10-18-2004, 21:59
congratulations, Crandaeolon. ~:cheers:
Unfortunately, I'm probably not gonna play HC anytime too soon (I would just get too stressed, and the game would stop being fun, it would be an additional source of stress).

What's wrong with the Maggot's Lair, why did you hate it so much ? I would have expected the Chaos Sanctuary, or some parts in Act 3...

Anyway, well done ;)

Crandaeolon
10-19-2004, 12:32
What's wrong with the Maggot's Lair, why did you hate it so much ?

I hated the place because of the narrow passageways. Not at all possible to use minions there, so I went down there with only my merc. My resistances were far in the negatives because of the crappy gear, and one hit from a Spectral Hit or double-element enchanted monster could easily deal 500-1000 points of damage. I had to keep the merc in front by nudging him forward inch by inch; the merc can't pass through the character but the char can pass through the merc, so I waited for the merc to take a step, took his place to block him from wandering back, waited for the next step etc... until the merc hit a bunch of monsters.

If they were scarabs or miniboss packs, I had to keep feeding the merc health potions and to keep casting my weak Clay Golem to provide a few seconds of shielding for him, but he still died often. Resurrecting him costs about 50k at level 80, and I ran out of money a couple of times, forcing me to go to another area to hunt for cashable loot. And, because I don't use maphack, I had to explore the levels manually; the exits to levels 2 and 3 were _both_ times in the last damned unexplored corner of the level! Miserable luck... :dizzy2:

I would have expected the Chaos Sanctuary, or some parts in Act 3...

CS was positively challenging, not nerve-wracking or boring. Oblivion Knights casting Iron Maiden were the biggest threat, often reducing my army of ~30 minions to a half, but other than that it was OK because the minions had room to maneuver. Diablo himself, like all the single bosses, is a piece of cake for a summoner necro.

Act 3 was a long and boring trek like always, but the dungeons allow at least some minion usage. Fortunately the minions made short work of the swarming fetishes. Gloams could have made the place much worse, but I didn't encounter any.

Blodrast
10-19-2004, 19:40
thank you for clearing it up, C. I should have thought of that, since I've had the same kind of trouble with my merc, trying to ush him ahead mainly because he had better defense than me.
And I've also killed myself a few times with IronMaiden in the CS ;)
Now all I need is some time to be able to login and play some ;P
oh, btw, so why were the ancients a problem ? no corpses to summon stuff ? but then wouldn't you have the exact same problem with Duriel and Baal at least (there's no corpses in their rooms either) ?

Crandaeolon
10-20-2004, 11:12
The Ancients are tough because, unlike main act bosses, they get random mods. It's like 3 minibosses next to each other. On Hell difficulty, that translates to 9 random mods. The first time I tried 'em, I got at least Might enchanted, Fanaticism enchanted and Cursed among the mods. Not good. ~;p I kept them on constant Decrepify, but the battle was over in a couple of minutes and I had to retreat.

On the second try, one was Might enchanted but no one was Cursed. I was still narrowly defeated.

For the third try that finally succeeded, I created a new game and hunted for some tough Revives. One of the ice caves was full of minotaurs, and those did the trick. Still, the timer of the Revives ran out, and I had only three skeletons and the merc left when the last ancient finally went down.

I also nearly died in that last battle when the Extra Strong, Cold Enchanted Korlic suddenly decided to Leap Attack out of the melee to strike me. Thwack, the life globe (1100 hitpoints) looked empty after a single blow and I gulped down a few full rejuvs in panic, running madly about the place until Korlic waded into the melee again. Fun! ~D

dessa14
10-20-2004, 12:52
the one boss i had the most trouble with was baal, but not because of him, but his insane minions, and with 10 people in the game with a lone paladan taking them on, trust me in the expansion paladins are half decent
and in multiplayer, people love them.
the way a paladin wins, is fanaticism and Zeal, super fast multiple attacks.

i went through the game with a paladin, on hardcore, i went through all the way from normal to the end of hell.
level 4 Zeal, and level 30 Fanat give you a huge attack speed and damage bonus, and the paladin gear i had kicked arse without other people interfering.
(heres a tip to get heaps and heaps of chipped gems)
go to the second act, and where you go to fight the boss, go through all the caves before the one you are mean't to.
that gives you heaps of them.
thanks,
dessa

Togakure
10-21-2004, 02:40
Heh ... looks like you were all giving this a go when I was playing it too. I wasn't aware of this thread, and that you all were Diabloing.

I play on USA West. My primary character, (Slayer) Melarion, is a level 72 necromancer, Ladder/softcore, in full Trang-Oul gear with an AliBaba, and an Arm of King Leoric on switch for summoning. His normal retinue includes 4-7 Skellies, 4-6 Skelly Mages, and a Fire Golem. I use him primarily for magic-finding as he's not really strong enough to take on Hell at this point, even at level 72.

I never use cheats or hacks of any kind.

I stopped playing about a month ago as someone hacked me and I could no longer chat with anyone :(. I was tired of it anyway. Only had a few cool friends, and the place is crawling with total idiots. I stopped joining public games after getting ambushed for my gold a few times (I have about 1.6 mil in gold and keep it that way, so I'm rich pickins for a hacking, looting twit). I either played solo online, or with guys that I knew who were cool. We did have some fun times, but it got old after a while. Hmm ... better log in at least to preserve my guys, lest they be retired. Anyway, interesting to see Org folks were playing D2/D2X online.

Crandaeolon
10-21-2004, 08:40
Dessa, have you played the game with the 1.10 patch? It makes Hell quite a bit more difficult, and the adding of skill synergies makes many of the old classic builds not valid. A couple of questions, if I may... First, how did you defeat physical immunes? Weapon switch, Amp damage charges on an item, Vengeance / Conviction, or...?
And with only 4 levels in Zeal, how did the attack rating stay tolerably high? Surely not by putting lots of points in dex...

I'm planning to quickly try a few interesting builds, a Zealot being one of them. But, instead of Fana, I'll use Holy Shock + synergies and a Lightsaber / Tiamat's rebuke to remove attack rating and immunity problems, and Fist of Heavens to deal with monsters that are too difficult in melee.

Also, chippies are now worthless. The old sword recipe has been nerfed, and the new one (3 flawless gems) is not worth it, because you can't get the highest mods any more. Perfect gems are now the poor man's currency, those are used to reroll charms and jewels.

Togakure, too bad that you ran into so many jerks out there. One of the reasons why I play hardcore only is that the kiddies who like to pick fights at random are much fewer than in softcore. Of course there are some idiots in HC too, but in general the people are more helpful and wouldn't start a fight over something as petty as gold. But, of course, some healthy paranoia is only good... ~;)

dessa14
10-21-2004, 09:39
if you put anymore then 4 into zeal, you get zeal lock.
another good combo for a zealot, is concentration, though the damage advantage isn't much more then fanat.
the vengence and conviction combo still kicks arse huh?.
the weakest thing about paladins is the lack of passives, really paladins were favoured for multiplayer teams, because auras worked over all of them.
i can't remember the items it was like a year ago.
multiplayer hardcore really does make a difference, people are far less likely to go around PKing (player killing) i used to play traditionally as well, so i didn't start with level 80s and what not and rush to act 5, i started with starters, and played all the way through like normal.
thanks,
dessa

Crandaeolon
10-21-2004, 13:32
if you put anymore then 4 into zeal, you get zeal lock.

Ah, you've played _that_ long ago. ~;) Zeal strikes were limited to 5 in the expansion or in 1.09, IIRC. Zeal lock hasn't been a problem in a long time.

Sjakihata
10-21-2004, 13:33
anyone playing on Europe NL?

my account name is... sjakihata

DisruptorX
10-21-2004, 18:27
Ack, Diablo II, one of the few sequels to actually have worse graphics than the original game.

If I never play D2 again, I will not regret it. It has none of the creepy gothic atmosphere that made the original a classic. In d2 I don't fear what I will encounter next or get spooked by the environment, instead I stare at the screen in a trance because my brain is not in use.

Togakure
10-21-2004, 21:58
Yes, I understand your point Disruptor ... Diablo had great "Film Noir"-like graphics/lighting, and an EXCELLENT sound track. It was definitely more "scary" that D2/D2X.

A lot of D2/D2X takes place above ground, unlike D1. Also, different cultures were introduced in the different Acts, each having different sound tracks and graphic elements. While definitely not as scary, I thought it was well done. The novelty of it wears off after playing through it a few times though, so I can see how D2/D2X could bore some folks very quickly.

I prefer to play the game as intended for the most part, developing my character normally by playing through the game, not exploiting it by rushing or doing runs against the big bosses for XP. I do magic-find runs, but generally I clear maps instead of doing boss runs. This is definitely not the most effective way to MF, but I find it more entertaining. Melarion has 320%+ MF when geared for magic-fiding, so he does fairly well. His problem is, he already has nice stuff and doesn't need much. So, I just play "Santa Claus" a lot, giving what I find to the few nice, polite players around. Just before I stopped I began developing other characters (a pally, barb, and sorc) and used Mel to "twink" decent items to them to help them out in their beginning stages. But, I just got tired of it all and stopped about a month ago. Maybe I'll go back at some point, who knows.

DisruptorX
10-21-2004, 22:38
I have played quite a bit of Diablo II, and while it was initially fun, when you are done with the game after a year or so, it does not leave the impression of "wow, that game was a classic", instead it is more like "wow, I just wasted so much time".

I thought that act 2 had good atmosphere, and act 3 could have been cool, had the level design not been so painful. However, act 1 is a mess, especially the jail/catacombs, which are a painful attempt at being like the original, but instead being horrificly boring.

I never have done rushes or the like, and even on battle.net I generally play by myself. Single player gives you the immersion, while multiplayer makes you painfully aware that you are playing with other jackasses. It turns the game into a match of who can pick up items the fastest as they drop.

While I will admit that D2 took me a good year or so before I got sick of it, the game did not leave a good taste in my mouth.

They also took out the only fun things about Diablo multiplayer, tking and cheating. I have fond memories of Diablo multiplayer, but D2 just seems so mundane, it has no character and everyone took it so seriously, they even had jargon like "blood run" "omg u got soj?" etc..

Crandaeolon
10-22-2004, 09:05
Disruptor, perhaps you wanted the wrong things from the Diablo series. IMO Hack 'n' Slash is not a good genre for a deep roleplay experience. ~;)

I wouldn't (and didn't) play either Diablo for graphics or atmosphere. And sure, D1's graphics are sharper than D2 in 640x480, but 800x600 in the expansion looks tolerable in my book, with more variety than D1.

What makes both games classics is, IMO, not the atmosphere but the simplistic yet pseudo-deep gameplay designed to give a constant stream of little rewards in the form of levels, items, quests, waypoints and whatnot. From a game design standpoint, both are based on similar basic principles but D2 is far more refined.

As for the multiplayer experience, D2 is mostly better because of the closed servers and its larger scope (more stuff to do). D1 was cheaters galore, and not at all playable on public servers... personally, I hate cheating, and I can't imagine how someone could consider TK'ing "fun". For those who like to kill, Hardcore mode in D2 provides better thrills because death is permanent and hunting for prey or taunting them to agree to a duel takes at least some skill compared to using a TK hack.

I sometimes do boost my characters because I usually plan the character advancement to about level 75-80, when it's a good time to enter Hell difficulty, where the real action is. Boosting is just skipping the boring parts. C'mon, who played MTW on normal difficulty for more than a couple of campaigns? ~;)

Of course, too much of anything leaves a bad taste in the mouth. I got around the burnout by playing D2 in bursts; I never focused on it exclusively, instead it was "filler" entertainment when there were no interesting games to play or other stuff to do. Heh, I wouldn't have started playing it this fall if Blizzard hadn't released the 1.10 patch and CA had gotten Rome right. (I confess, I'm a multiplayer freak. But SP in Rome is good.)

dessa14
10-22-2004, 09:34
the main reason there was a lack of good items in multiplayer was that everyone wanted them, but everybody rushed the game, to get the most XP.
people like me that played the game right through doing everything, got heaps of great items, my entire team did. we worked in a team, which all started the game at the same time, and didn't let high levels into our games, we always played hardcore though.
my team consisted of, a paladin[zealot](me), an [ice] sorceress, and a barbarian.
there was another team in the game, which had an [elemental] paladin, a necro and an assasain.
thanks,
dessa