PDA

View Full Version : Worst games yopu have purchased....

King Edward
08-16-2004, 15:11
As in title what are they?

Mine has to be sudden strike anthology, I really tried to play these but it just didnt do anything for me. too slow paced to be exciting and you have to save every 2 mins as one slight error can make you have to restart 2 hours worth of mission! very frustrating!!!

Other Contenders would be MMO 3, so much hype such a pathetic game, abbout as fun as sticking tooth picks in my eyes. cuthroats was also terribel but guess i was expecting Pirates! remade.

Despot of the English
08-16-2004, 15:43
Lords of the Realm 3. Quite the most biggest bag of [crap] I have ever had my misfortune to buy. I read the reviews of it before I bought it and thought it could never be that bad but they were right! It only cost £15 so I don't feel too cheated.

Fragony
08-16-2004, 15:46
Turok: evolution for the gamecube. It was only 10 euro and I didn't expect much to begin with, but this was too much. How can this game have framrrate problems when it looks absolutely dreadfull Fragony screamed out loud. Dinosaurs running in to walls no wonder they got extinct.

frogbeastegg
08-16-2004, 16:09
Empire Earth. I know some people here like it but to me it is the worst game I have played in some ten or so years of gaming. There was not one single thing I liked about it, not one single thing I even felt neutral on, I hated everything about it. It was the game that finally killed any interest I had left in AOE style RTS games.

King Edward
08-16-2004, 16:10
I actually quite enjoyed EE for a while but the idea of advancing through history was betterd by the fantastic Rise of Nations.

Despot of the English
08-16-2004, 17:28
I think for me Empire Earth came one or two years too late. I loved AOE but by the time I bought EE I was starting to get a little bit bored of those kinds of RTS games. I did, however, manage to get all the way to the last map but never completed it because by that time I had had enough of those kinds of games thus heralding the beginning of the Total War age :medievalcheers: .

solypsist
08-17-2004, 06:50
Risk 2 just didn't do it.

Kongamato
08-17-2004, 07:23
Several years ago I got Police Quest: SWAT, thinking it would be a really in-depth game with realistic challenges. It was way too boring for me. It did not help that the game was bugged and only the first mission could be played. Sometimes the scripted events wouldnt even work, sticking the game in one spot. I think the developers knew that the only real fun in the game would come from goofing off and disobeying your orders, so they included numerous cutscenes of your superiors reading you the riot act every time you pointed your gun in the wrong spot. Oh well. I guess there are worse games I could have bought.

Ja'chyra
08-17-2004, 08:35
Republic the Revolution, didn't even last 10 minutes on my HD

Nelson
08-17-2004, 17:53
Across the Rhine

This was a WWII tank game from Microprose. It stank and Microprose sank.

nightcrawlerblue
08-17-2004, 18:07
Hey Ja'Chyra mind if I have your copy? ~D

My #1 worst game of all time *drumroll*

"Golf Resort Tycoon"

Followed closely by "Zoo Tycoon"...

I liked Sim Golf but ugh... Just typing the name of that horrible game is hard to do...

And the moral of this story is... NEVER BUY GOLF RESORT TYCOON! NEVER! NEVEEEEEEEER!

discovery1
08-17-2004, 19:29
Have to agree with despot:the worst game I have ever bought was Lords of the Realm 3. Poor battles and if I tried to enjoy them my kingdom would end up going to hell in a handbasket while I was away.

A close 2nd would be AOM, but I got it after I had pretty much lost interest in AOE type games ~:doh:

I actually like MOO3, aside from the bad diplomatic AI and the fact that maintaining a fleet was a pain.

nightcrawlerblue
08-17-2004, 21:24
Across the Rhine

This was a WWII tank game from Microprose. It stank and Microprose sank.

Microprose will always be the best developer! Microprose woulda been awesome if they hadn't gotten bought out... *sigh*

Forward Observer
08-18-2004, 05:09
I can think of 3 off hand

Age of Sail 2--- I spotted this game in the store the day it arrived. The box had a wonderful color depiction of a Napoleonic period naval battle, and the screenshots on the back of the box were just as impressive showing massive naval battles during the age of sail. I could not wait to get home and become Master and Commander.

What a bug infested piece of virtual crap. Hardly anything functioned and the game crashed to desk top about every 5 minutes. This game had the distinction of being voted as one of the top 5 worst games of the year it came out by at least two major gaming magazines.

Lords of the Realms 3 Already mentioned by several, but I'll add my comments to the list. What a disappointing sequel to a game (LOTR 2)that is usually mentioned in the top 100 game of all time, every time such a list is made. I can only describe the game play LOTR 3 as what it must be like to try to herd cats. It was on my hard drive all of two days.

Combat Flight Simulator 3 Microsoft's 3rd entry in to what was a so so line of WW II combat filght sims. I have never thought the CFS series was great, but I did enjoy the first two sims for what they were. CFS 3 however stunk up my system--it was buggy as crap and a tweaker's nightmare. The terrain graphics were ugly to boot. It lasted 3 days on my system.

Phatose
08-19-2004, 06:41
Septerra core. Interesting concept. Flat battle system. Combat animations so unbelievably slow you could nap in between rounds.

Tricky Lady
08-19-2004, 08:59
*shivers*

Knights & Merchants...

This game's even too bad to mention... :sick2:

Crandaeolon
08-19-2004, 11:12
Master of Orion 3.

*spit*

~:p

Balin son of Fundin
08-19-2004, 14:07
hmmm... On my old playstation i had a gaem called Tunnel B1.. it is the worst game i have ever played by a country mile, and thats saying something, because i have played my share of bad ones.. my advice to you, is if you see this game, throw it into a fire..

Alexander the Pretty Good
08-19-2004, 19:40
Empire Earth. I know some people here like it but to me it is the worst game I have played in some ten or so years of gaming. There was not one single thing I liked about it, not one single thing I even felt neutral on, I hated everything about it. It was the game that finally killed any interest I had left in AOE style RTS games.

Yup. Terrible game. You could only move the camera along one track - that or I couldn't figure it out. RTS without interesting units, too long a time span, graphics only so-so, nothing really original. And purchasing faction characteristincs stinks. :rtwn:

Now I'm mad again because I got it. ~:angry:

The AOE RTS was the best of its genre, in my humblest of opinions. Too bad everybody else copied it. Only liked Galactic Battlegrounds because it was Star Wars... nothing else redeeming except that is was a direct copy of AOE.

MTW killed my interest in RTS. Once you go Total War, you never go back.

The Return of the King game for Gamecube was a dud in my book. The Two Towers one before it was much better, though too easy.

TCon88
08-19-2004, 23:18
Would have to be The Fellowship of The Ring game for the PS2, i got it after buying the second one thinking that i should get the whole set. What a waste of time and money, complete and utter rubbish. Not worth the ink thats on the cover.

Oaty
08-19-2004, 23:18
MTW by far. HEHE since its only an oppinion I get to hide behind the hairpin throwing geisha.

Well ultimate risk was completely gay. I bought it because I thought it would be something similar to the totalwar series but its based all on luck and nothing like having 350 troops assault 1 troop and get decimated, too many thermopalae battles.

Roller coaster tycoon 2. Well the scenarios became horrific as they just kept repeating difficulty styles. And the 4 main challenges in the game was the rediculous landscapes. Fixing horrible path layouts. Having to bulldoze a ride and build a new 1 just to keep the park value up. Or build rediculous amounts of the same ride to get more guests in the park. But the # 1 reason was thefact that it was what most companies would call an expansion pack of RCT1. Another thing that was horrible was there was either flatland or 45 degree slopes. That was'nt so bad but either kill the rediculous landscapes or make 15, 30, 45, 60, and 75 degree slopes.

The Interstate series I 76 and I 82. Personally I thought they were great games but the support for them died quick. I 76 was semi stable, not enough to complain about. But I 82 completely sucked and is now an unplayable game. I hated formatting my hard drive because of this game because it took up to 20 installs to get a successful 1. I loved the games enough that I would buy the next in the series just to probably have another heartbreak, but any other activision game can go byebye. Because of this I will never buy another acti-vision(less) game. Even if its a top seller is game of the year and I'm 1 of the few gamers that just do'nt have this game, I still wo'nt buy it. I just do'nt want to love the game and get hooked into buying the next one in the series just to get poopooed on.

There are plenty of others but since they come out of the bargain bin, I feel I do'nt have much room to complain

discovery1
08-20-2004, 05:35
Because of this I will never buy another acti-vision(less) game.

Doesn't Activision publish the Total War franchise?

Oaty
08-20-2004, 08:36
discovery do'nt make me cry. please tell me you have a way of making sick jokes. I did'nt know creative assembly was a branch of a major company and on top of that a branch off of activision.

Well there is thing though that will stand out. Its the fact that some companies will have multiple names for there subsidiaries. Company-A is top of the line, Company-B puts out high quality Company-C puts out average and Company-D puts out mediocre products but all these companies are owned by 1 big company.

Well I'll do my research and if it had Activision I know to turn my head, If it has Creative assembly I'll drool.......... any questions............ Yes I guess I should apoligize for slobbering all over the place

Oaty
08-20-2004, 08:53
I researched it the easy way, Viking Invasion box ........Activision....... I'll eat my words.

Well when I bought Shogun there name was'nt on the box and when you want a sequal, because the first one was good you do'nt pay too much attention to who the new developer is. The thing is the rights to Total War got bought out and did'nt notice Activision took it over(Am I right on that) So I'm not exactly tripping over my own feet. Oh well I guess I should do my research better and find out who the subsidiary was and never buy from them again.

Discovery are'nt you old enough to know better that there are occasions that it is better that you just do'nt correct people on certain situations, geez just burst my bubble and make me cry

Well you upset me and I shall personally hunt you down in multyplayer and wreak havoc upon your armies. Then when I've cooled down we can go to pub and have few beers

frogbeastegg
08-20-2004, 09:35
EA did shogun and mongols, Activision did MTW, Vikings and RTW.

RCT2, what a coincidence - I was looking at that game on my shelf yesterday and wondering if I should load it up and waste the weekend selling burgers to fat kids about to go on a wild rollercoaster. That game, and it's predecessor, were a real mix of love and hate. Love selling peeps overpriced food and watching them vomit it up after a wild ride, because they then go buy an overpriced drink. Hate the bad interface. Love watching the little details like people bringing out umbrellas when it rains. Hate the isometric awkwardness. Love building a fully functional park. Haste the isometric awkwardness when building anything. Love raking in the cash. Hate the isometric awkwardness. Love the detail gone into the game, like people visibly wearing t-shirts they have brought. Hate going bankrupt from over £10,000 simply because I tried to alter two squares of landscape with the horrendous controls and isometric awkwardness. You get the picture, I'm sure.

Even with the awkward viewpoints that made building a real nightmare the game was as addictive as sugar. RTC3 is coming out soon, and in full 3d...

nightcrawlerblue
08-20-2004, 14:34
Isometric rules...

discovery1
08-21-2004, 00:33
Discovery are'nt you old enough to know better that there are occasions that it is better that you just do'nt correct people on certain situations, geez just burst my bubble and make me cry

I guess not, although if making others suffer is the reward for destroying illusions, I never will be :devil:

I don't play multiplayer for MTW, although if you want to hunt me down on CoD I play on the tombraider server as either 'discovery_1' or 'what's aiming.'

Beirut
08-22-2004, 04:24
CFS3 :whip:

Buggy, unstable, ugly, horrid. Gave it away free online after less than a week of owning it.

(CFS1, however, was great.)

Accounting Troll
09-01-2004, 19:43
Civilization: Call to Power.

I had expected far more after Civilization II and Colonization. Although the graphics were good, the economic development of your cities and surrounding terrain was messed up, diplomacy was unrealistic, half the wonders of the world weren't worth building (even if you just wanted to stop your rivals from building them), the ending was badly thought out, and the combat system is unrealistic - pikemen should not be able to beat airbourne units ever.

It was so terrible that it has put me off ever buying Civ III.

econ21
09-01-2004, 20:17
Napoleon 1813 or some such title. It was SO close to being a Napoleonic Total War (and in fact, a more historical one) but it was just broken and ultimately unplayable. The strategy map did not work (my newly recruited French Imperial Guard marched off to join the enemy!) and the real time battles were too clunky to be playable. That it was so close to being wonderful and yet ultimately so utterly crap was painful.

Interestingly the same game designer made a widely marketed Civil War game with the same mix of strategy and battles - it also could have been brilliant but was awful.

Pool of Radiance 2 also should have been good (1st 3rd edition DnD CRPG) but was brain numbingly dull.

Sasaki Kojiro
09-02-2004, 02:55
Red alert. Got it in a threepack with gettysburg! which was a great game, the battle system was even better than Shogun's. The other game was Jane's fleet command, which is runner up for worst...still I only waste 5$.

The Tuffen
09-02-2004, 13:49
Civilization: Call to Power.

I had expected far more after Civilization II and Colonization. Although the graphics were good, the economic development of your cities and surrounding terrain was messed up, diplomacy was unrealistic, half the wonders of the world weren't worth building (even if you just wanted to stop your rivals from building them), the ending was badly thought out, and the combat system is unrealistic - pikemen should not be able to beat airbourne units ever.

It was so terrible that it has put me off ever buying Civ III.

If my memory serves me correctley Call to power wasn't done by sid Meier. I think what happened was the publishers wanted to to take the name and create there own civ and sid meier wanted to keep it and make his own with a new publisher. As a comprimise they created two seperate civ's (with sid meiers becoming civ 3).

*the reason may of been different but i know that sid meier had nothing to do with the call to power series*

The worst game i purchased was Anno 1503. couldn't get my head round it at all.

ah_dut
09-04-2004, 13:19
call to power sucked. so i gave it to a friend

Divine Wind
09-04-2004, 23:35
Emporer: Battle for Dune ~ Repetitive, boring, slow frame rates. Yuck!

Freelancer ~ So much potential wasted, because of keeping to deadlines and release dates.

Adidas Power Soccer ~ Possibly the worst football game ever. Unbeatable goalkeepers who saved everything unless you did an *Adidas Power Shot*. Says it all.

Beirut
09-05-2004, 00:01
Sasaki Kojiro,

Granted, Janes Fleet Command lacks depth, but if it's definitely worth a few bucks just to fart around with.

In M:TW I get to pillage and loot France from stem to stern. In IL2-Sturmovik, I get to down their air force. In Janes Fleet Command, I get to sink their navy.

You just gotta love it. ~:cheers:

Efrem Da King
09-05-2004, 06:08
Civ 3 is awesome!!!!

It is just sooo much better than that pile of sh*t civ 2.

But the worst game is War and Peace.

ah_dut
09-06-2004, 20:29
agreed on worst game war and peace but efrem, civ 2 was pretty good iirc

nokhor
09-06-2004, 23:01
my choice is the same as simon appleton's. i had high hopes for 'napoleon 1813'. had to buy it from overseas i think, when it first came up, and it was just unplayable.

that was when my gaming views changed from 'let them get the game out as quickly as possible and they can patch it later' to 'let them take as long as they need to get the thing right in the first place.' i was young and foolish then.

Navaros
09-07-2004, 00:34
Emporer: Battle for Dune ~ Repetitive, boring, slow frame rates. Yuck!

that was one of the most strategically diverse RTS games ever made. certainly it was not repetitive in competitive online matches, because you had to adapt to your enemy or lose.

if you had slow frame rates then it's either because your system is unable to handle it due to obsolete hardware you have, or because you had the landscape/shadow details set too high - which tend to lag any system for some reason. but turning those down should have solved any frame rate problems.

Armchair Athlete
09-07-2004, 00:35
MOO3 or heroes of might and magic 4. Both overhyped and no where near as good as their predecessors (which I loved).

Divine Wind
09-07-2004, 12:27
that was one of the most strategically diverse RTS games ever made. certainly it was not repetitive in competitive online matches, because you had to adapt to your enemy or lose.

if you had slow frame rates then it's either because your system is unable to handle it due to obsolete hardware you have, or because you had the landscape/shadow details set too high - which tend to lag any system for some reason. but turning those down should have solved any frame rate problems.

Hi Navaros. When it was first released i didnt have a reliable internet connection so unfortunatly i never got the chance to play online. Perhaps that might have been more interesting than the single player game, which is where my disappointment lies.

The AI is pretty poor and seem to just charge straight at your base rather than try to sneek in other ways, and actually make the game challenging. Also the missions are extremely repetitive with destroy the enemies standard base in this area. Gah! I want something a little different for my money! If all the missions are like that i may as well just play a quick battle. Theres not much difference ~:(

Im not sure about the frame rates problem i had. At the time i had an excellent PC, with top notch graphics card etc. I dont think i had the landscape details on high, as ive always fiddled around with these before to make games run slightly better. Perhaps i missed something.

Overall remember this is the worst games youve ever bought thread and not the worst game ever thread ~;) Ive bought a lot of games over the years and im one of these people that generally read a lot into the game before i buy it. So dont take my list too seriously as i definitely would not consider this an awful game. Just one that didnt fufill all my expectations ~:)

Now im going to install it again and give the multiplayer a go!

:bow:

Soulflame
09-07-2004, 17:17
Worst game I bought was Throne of Darkness. You all probably haven't even heard of it. It's a Diablo clone in Japanese style. I played it for one day, then removed it from my hd. It has 2 inches of dust on the manual (and I love reading manuals.. so this is saying a lot ~;))
Then again, it only cost 5 euro, but still, a waste is a waste.

Navaros
09-07-2004, 17:25
Now im going to install it again and give the multiplayer a go!

:bow:

hey man, i agree with you that the SP portion sucks. that game was never a good SP game. it was all about MP

unfortunately, no one has been playing that game online for the last 2 years or so. little by little, everyone stopped playing after EA permanently abandoned the game with the bugs/AI deficiencies still intact, until eventually no one was left playing the game online.

i've heard that EA recently shutdown the WOL service, so it's not like you could play even if you wanted to. ~:dizzy:

it was a great multiplayer game in it's time, albeit with several unfair bugs that tipped the gameplay advantage to certain Houses.

unfortunately it's time is now dead. ~:(

frogbeastegg
09-07-2004, 17:38
I played Throne of Darkness. I rather liked it, except the final area and last boss. I liked the way you could customise your gear and the way useless bits of armour and old weapons could be broken down and put towards new, better gear. I also liked the way you always had access to the blacksmith so you didn't have to run/town portal every time your inventory filled up.

It's far from the best I've ever played but I've definitely played worse. I finished it then shelved it and never thought about playing it again.

ShadesPanther
09-07-2004, 18:28
Adidas Power Soccer ~ Possibly the worst football game ever. Unbeatable goalkeepers who saved everything unless you did an *Adidas Power Shot*. Says it all.

I remember it. The novelty of the keeper being knocked into the goal by a power shot wore off after a week.

Qilue
09-16-2004, 10:16
The runners-up

Worms Armageddon - Worms 2 was fun and addictive. Worms Armageddon was tiresome and not really much fun.
Railroad Tycoon 2 - The original is a gaming classic, the sequel was beer and pretzels greed.
Sim City 3000 - ugh

The winner is

Ultima Ascension - or how to make an bug filled adventure game with systems requirements that will be available in 5 years time and then market it as a role playing game.

DisruptorX
09-17-2004, 21:44
Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance. Pure trash, its the only game I've ever sold.

The Tuffen
09-18-2004, 00:29
Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance. Pure trash, its the only game I've ever sold.

I liked Dark Alliance and its sequel.

What about it did you not like?

Qilue: i agree that worms armaggedon wasn't as great as Worms 2 or Worms 1.

DisruptorX
09-18-2004, 04:33
I liked Dark Alliance and its sequel.

What about it did you not like?

1)Firstly the gameplay, it was horribly boring. Don't get me wrong, I love action, but it has to be done right, a la Dynasty Warriors 2/3. This game had my mind wandering constantly, as it was not being used. I actively wished for the game to end already. At least it was only rental length, though that means that it was even more of a rip off.

2) The use of "Baldur's Gate" in the title. The game had nothing to do with said games. Baldur's Gate was an acceptable rpg, and BG II is one of the top 10 pc rpgs ever. Using the license to help sell a gauntlet clone is unnacceptable.

KillerKadugen
09-18-2004, 17:53
Well, my biggest mistakes were C&C Tiberian Sun, Heroes 4, and Heroes of Might and Magic 4. All of these should follow the wonderful line of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it." How could they make such baaaaad games after having so much success in the past? It is infuriating how mass marketing can ruin games. Evidently corporate high-ups do not learn from the past very well, because games like these that can ruin a franchise are still being released today. :wall:

Degtyarev14.5
09-18-2004, 18:54
It is infuriating how mass marketing can ruin games. Evidently corporate high-ups do not learn from the past very well, because games like these that can ruin a franchise are still being released today. :wall:
Is everybody paying attention?

~;)

A.

Oh, by the way, my pick: Entente (http://www.theentente-game.com/)