PDA

View Full Version : Your Favorite Game Mods

Crazed Rabbit
08-18-2004, 19:50
What are your favorite mods for games? (other then, of course, the TW series)

I'll list a few;

Natural Selection for Half Life (www.natural-selection.org)
Team based space marines vs. aliens fighting. The marines have on player as commander, who can put down buildings (ammo dumps, resource collectors, weapons labs, spawn points, etc.) for the grunts to build. A variety of weaponry including heavy and light MGs, shotguns, nades, welders, etc. Aliens have no commander, but a hive mind so they can see where their allies are at all times, they can evolve into different species with different abilities (acid rocket, spike shooting, building, webbing, etc.). The most fun I've ever had has been eating marines as the "Onos", the top alien (think an elephant-rhinocerous mix). The marines don't die instantly, they are stuck in your stomach for about 30 seconds and slowly die ~D Unfortunately, I can't play on steam ~:( ~:( ~:(

Heat of Battle for Call of Duty (www.heatofbattle.net)
Think DoD for CoD. Capturable points, cookable nades, new weapons, new maps, wave respawning, no crosshairs, limited weapons, etc. Very fun.

Modern Warfare for Medal of Honor: AA (www.modern-warfare.com)
I just downloaded this. It has a slew of awesome looking modern weapons and modern character skins, some have selectable firing modes, and some have alternate fire grenade launchers. There's a least one Euro server for all you people on the other side of the 'pond'. If you've seen the Revolt mod for CoD, this is what Revolt shoult be (but isn't, by a long shot). Oh, and did I mention it has a flyable BlackHawk helicopter with minigun?

So, what are your favorite mods?

Crazed Rabbit

ShadesPanther
08-18-2004, 20:07
Day of Defeat for Half Life www.dayofdefeat.net
Team based World War 2 game. Axis (Germany) Vs the Allies (USA and some maps, Britain). Good atmosphere with sounds of explosions in the background which adds to the fear of the enemy being close. Has realistic weapons eg. Garand, Kar98k(German bolt-action rifle), Thompson, MP40, STEN gun, Bren, MG42, 30 cal and many others.

Phatose
08-19-2004, 06:37
I'm pretty fond of Infiltration for UT. The whole 'no magic crosshairs, use your iron sights' is pretty cool.

Nelson
08-20-2004, 17:59
Day of Defeat for HL, no doubt about it.

Chimpyang
08-20-2004, 18:16
I kinda like the Counter Strike mod for HL, I also like Team Fortress, but it's hard to find servers now.

eadeater
08-20-2004, 18:31
I'm a great fan of mods, but in my opinion, there is simply no standing up to the might of Couter-Strike. It is THE online multiplayer game.

Dramicus
08-20-2004, 18:38
Counter-Strike is good only if you enjoy one of the most unrealistic POS to come out in a long time, any of the other similar games beat it, every RB6 game comes to mind...

I stopped playing CS a LONG time ago, I dont know but hordes of cheaters/hackers, bunny hopping and the fact that you could unload a clip into someone and they would still be standing kinda made me lose interest....

Day of Defeat is by far the best HL mod, no contest...

ShadesPanther
08-20-2004, 19:38
I've played CS Source Beta and it is much more realistic. Grenades do proper damage and the fashbang effect are very cool. The armour doesnt seem as powerful and weapons are more "personal" ie. Ak47 fires slower than M4 but does more damage.

PS: the armour moddeled ingame is realistic. Alot of body armour can take 3-4 AK47 rounds.

Spino
08-20-2004, 21:36
Loved DoD Beta 1.3. Hated it when it went to 2.0. The appeal to realism was welcome but the maps and gameplay were still far too 'gamey' for the level of realism they were touting. It just didn't feel right and it lost me completely.

Counterstrike. Loved it until I got sick of it. Played it constantly back in the 'good old days' before everyone and their mother was playing it and before tons of people started using cheats and those ridiculously powerful but easy-to-use hacks. I stopped playing CS shortly after it was upgraded to Beta 6.0, long before it went 'official' with version 1.0.

But my favorite mod of all time?

Desert Combat - THE mod for Battlefield 1942.

Best... Mod... Ever... ~D

discovery1
08-21-2004, 00:25
My close favorite is the C.O.R.E(Community open resource exchange). It adds many new events, improves the ai, and alters the tech tree to vastly improve depth and gameplay. Edit; its for Hearts of Iron

2nd would be the Red Sun 2020 'mod' for Deus Ex. Mod in quotes b/c it's more than just a mod: it's a completely new game that easily rivals the depth and complexity of the base product.

The Scourge
08-21-2004, 13:40
Heat of Battle.
Can get pretty intense ,and to me ,all the maps are good in thier own way.

Dramicus
08-23-2004, 04:12
PS: the armour moddeled ingame is realistic. Alot of body armour can take 3-4 AK47 rounds.

Thats not what Im complaining about, if it were like that then it would be fine, but usually i find that im putting 10-30 rounds into someone before they go down... (confermed hits too, no misses...)

eadeater
08-30-2004, 02:56
Thats not what Im complaining about, if it were like that then it would be fine, but usually i find that im putting 10-30 rounds into someone before they go down... (confermed hits too, no misses...)

30 rounds?! You've gotta be kidding me. You say it takes you 30 confirmed hits to kill someone in CS? Unless we are talking about wildly different versions of CS, you must've been missing, or you were getting cheated badly or something. I will never believe that. From any gun, even the TMP, against full kevlar, 10 hits MAX to kill anyone. Guns like the AK and M-16 kill with 3-4 hits to the kevlared torso. The sniper rifles need 1-2 hits. No way 30 hits.

Degtyarev14.5
08-30-2004, 14:41
Desert Combat - THE mod for Battlefield 1942.

Best... Mod... Ever... ~D

Gotta disagree on that one.

I know I've been plugging it a bit lately, but...

Forgotten Hope (http://forgottenhope.bf1942files.com/info.html)

for Battlefield 1942.

~:p

A.

Sir Moody
08-31-2004, 00:56
theres only One FPS mod that i can play without breaking down and crying about realism Red ochestra for UT2004 (http://redorchestramod.gameservers.net/)

id be at it right now but i got a dodgy X800 and having tasted the high life with that card im waiting for my replacement card before i go back in

ShadesPanther
08-31-2004, 18:50
I would play red orchestra for UT2004, but for some reson my install disc doesnt read a certain file and crashes ~:(

Crazed Rabbit
09-04-2004, 18:35
Heat of Battle.
Can get pretty intense ,and to me ,all the maps are good in thier own way.

Yup, and it'll get even better with version .4. Deployable MGs mmmmm....

What name do you go by The Scourge?

I use Crazed Rabbit ~D , and am usually on the MM! server.

Crazed Rabbit