PDA

View Full Version : HTW Formation Tip: Cavalry Charge

Red Harvest
08-21-2004, 02:06
One thing I've learned to do in HTW to get a usable formation at the beginning of the battle is to use the "Cavalry Charge" formation in the pre-battle selection. This seems to avoid most of the scrunched thin column problems. It usually gives a good formation and then I just move the cavalry to the rear or flanks, do a group select, then advance. Some of the other formations sometimes work as well, although "three line attack" and "three line defense" (my favorites) can rarely be used.

Kraellin
08-21-2004, 04:19
umm, red, why is this in the apoth? not quite sure i follow how this is tech related.

K.

Red Harvest
08-21-2004, 16:38
Uhhhh...not sure how it got over here...been looking for this thread. I must have had an Apothecary window open when I started a "new thread." ~:joker:

komninos
08-23-2004, 08:28
If any one can figure this out please give me a hint!!!

If you select the coloms formation then you get a good three line formation and then all formations work well!!!

I 've been looking in to this the past 3 months ~:mad:

Iskander
10-03-2004, 00:31
i have the same problem in all of the versions of MTW so i use cavalry charge or skirmish; its a pain in the bum, if only we could set up and save our own formations as realistically you would get your head kicked in messing about so much at the start of battles. :furious3:

macsen rufus
01-26-2005, 02:32
I'm still on my 1st HTW camapign, but I find the sparabara and emvelos are both pretty useful - but you have to learn how to use them.

If the long thin columns are fast troops with good attack they can be devastating in a lightning attack and are excellent for flanking/enveloping manoeuvres as they don't get caught in the melee so easily. They can also pour in through gaps where even a wedge gets stuck :charge:

So, yeah, overall, I like the new formations in HTW. The sparabara is particularly good if you do find yourself with the defenders right on top of you at the outset, but it must be used very aggressively then.