PDA

View Full Version : posts with new threads not always bold-ed ?

Blodrast
08-27-2004, 20:10
Hi,

Has anybody else experienced this ?
Normally, threads that have new posts in them since you last viewed / read them, are in bold.
That sometimes happens, but sometimes it doesn't.
Even the "old skin back ?" thread here, there's been new posts in it and I didn't see it in bold.
Is there something I'm missing from my settings ? I looked, but maybe I missed it...
Also, a couple of weeks ago or so I pressed the "Mark all threads as read" button.
IIRC, these problems started ever since.

thank you

TosaInu
08-28-2004, 00:31
I vaguely recall that a cookie was responsible for that.

Big King Sanctaphrax
08-28-2004, 00:58
What I find is that if I read a thread, and then post in it, the board doesn't mark it as read. However, if I read it again, it will be marked as read.

Blodrast
08-28-2004, 01:25
yes, BKS, that goes the same for me; it is a bit of inconvenience, but not too big a deal.
TosaInu: strange; I didn't clear my browser's cookies in a while, so it's strange how ocasionally threads become "read". I'm positive that posts appeared as read without my deleting the cookies.
Oh well, it's not a catastrophy, I just wanted to let you know.

Ludens
08-28-2004, 12:58
The forum thinks that if you log out, you have read all posts on the forum. So only post made after that are considered 'unread', and are displayed in bold. You can see when you last visited on the top left of the page, just below 'Welcome, .'

However, I have had a few times that suddenly all topics turned 'read' and the interface told me that I had last visited a few minutes ago. Somehow, the board seemed to think I had logged out. Perhaps you are refering to this?

I think it happens when I spend a long time in a certain topic, but I am not quite sure about that because it didn't happen when I stayed logged in and went down to have dinner.

EDIT: it happened twice today. Each time I was taking my time composing a long reply to a thread.

Blodrast
08-28-2004, 21:40
Thank you, Ludens.
I'll watch out for your suggestion, spending long time in a topic.
However, the problem still persists when I don't log out.
Because I usually don't. For days/weeks.
I usually leave my browser open, and never log out. The board recognizes me as Blodrast, because I just hit refresh/reload (to see the new posts, etc), and I'm not asked to relogin, and I still have "Welcome, Blodrast" on my screen.
Perhaps it periodically deletes the cookies anyway ? (they do have a limited lifetime...) but then, it doesn't delete the login-related cookie, apparently.

hmm.
I'll watch more carefully to see when it happens. It happened to me today, but I had not spent a long time in a topic (1-2 minutes tops)...

Admin
08-28-2004, 23:35
Cookies get updated iiuc.

Just thinking about something: the board is allowed to update a couple of things within about one hour max when the server has time to do it (performance). So it's possible that you read a thread and it's only updated a full hour later that you did so. A lot can happen within 1 hour.

Blodrast
08-29-2004, 01:16
ok, I understand what you're saying, Tosa.
you may be right.
But then there probably is another issue, because whenever I leave home and return the other day, threads that I can see are new (because the last post's date & time are listed next to it) are not highlighted. It's quite likely that in the 10 hours or more while I've been gone the server did find some spare time to update the cookies.

Anyway, I really really don't want to make a bigger deal out of this than it really is.
I just wanted to make you aware of this and ask if other people have had the same issue and whether they've found a solution.
But it's definitely something I can live with, so don't waste too much time on this.

Thank you