PDA

View Full Version : X-wing and Tie fighter games

Big King Sanctaphrax
09-01-2004, 22:20
Did anyone else enjoy these? I had X-wing, TIE fighter and X-wing vs TIE fighter. I am and unashamedly massive star wars fan, and they're some of my favourite games of all time.

Recently, I got a bit nostalgic and considering buying X-wing alliance. Does anyone know if this works with XP?

God, I love Star Wars.

solypsist
09-01-2004, 22:27
i had tie fighter - one of the first games i ever owned, back in the day

it was glorious

Alexander the Pretty Good
09-01-2004, 22:39
I had Tie Fighter, and my brother had X-wing.

Love Star Wars.

I was a terrible cheater though, I played "invincible" with "unlimited ammo" and "no crashes" (the fly through enemies option ~:joker: ). No wonder I eventually beat the Tie campaign... ~;)

Recently, last two years or so, I got the X-wing game on a CD from the Lucasarts people. It was good, but much more difficult than I remember ( ~D )!

Still, awesome games, I have forever since hated flying games because they were too difficult in comparison (I WAS playing them in my formative years ~;) ).

That brings back good memories (take that, you piece of crap Y-wing, for I am invulnerable!!! ~:p )

I don't know if it works on XP. I played X-wing on either a Windows ME or 98 machine (pretty old one, too). Hope it does, may have to dig up the ole X-wing CD and try it on my laptop.

~:cheers:

PS - we need some Star Wars smilies!!!

Phatose
09-01-2004, 22:47
Tie fighter was great.

X-wing...eh. I don't know. Didn't like it as much as tie-fighter. Not sure if that's because the heroic thing is so overdone, or because rebel hardware sucks so bad.

XVT just didn't appeal to me. Your ships were too fragile, and I'm not a big online game guy. The campaign mode was just a step backwards from Tie Fighter.

And XWA was OK...just, by then I had gotten to play Freespace and I-war, and honestly the star wars spacefighters felt so repetitive. Just blaster and maybe ions if you're lucky, missiles. Not enough variety really.

I keep hoping they'll make a elite-style game in the star wars universe, with modifable ships and smuggling, but I ain't holding my breath.

Big King Sanctaphrax
09-01-2004, 22:47
Yes, I was only about 8 or 9 when I was playing them...

Star was smilies...Let me see if I can find that cool saber duel one...

http://instagiber.net/smiliesdotcom/ups/unknown/lsvader.gif

There we go! That's getting sigged!

frogbeastegg
09-01-2004, 22:58
X-wing and TIE fighter were two of the first games I ever played; in the end I played the entire series, including XvTIE even though I never did MP. TIE fighter was my favourite; I didn't like the time limits in x-wing and being evil is fun and you get to play with the TIE defender. TIE fighter is probably the game I have put the most hours into, and in 10ish years I've played a lot of games.

Alliance was really good, my second favourite out of the series. I have no idea if it works in XP, I think I might have got it working about a year ago... Heh, this was the game I got my first ever 3d accelerator for, a voodoo2 and it was beautiful. The final mission, the inside of the death star II, ran as a slideshow so I never completed it, but it was a pretty slideshow :tongueg:

:wanders off down memory lane, back to the days of being able to dodge incoming lasers just like a jedi...sometimes:

Big King Sanctaphrax
09-01-2004, 23:14
I've done some googling, and it appears alliance should work perfectly with XP, so I'll buy it.

It'll be nice to use a good joystick rather than the dreadful 2-axis-2-button job I used for the others.

A sequel with modern graphics would own.

Steppe Merc
09-01-2004, 23:16
Ahh, i loved those games. Only had Xwing, but I played Tie figther before... Unfortnatly, no other Star Wars Flying game has ever come close to this series. But of course, I usaully end up getting most of the Star Wars games anyway since I'm such a fan... ~D

Alexander the Pretty Good
09-01-2004, 23:25
Those rebs are a bit... gypped in X-Wing. They don't get the nifty targeting stuff (especially Z button console; it told you what the targeted ship was doing, especially important in missions where you have to wait for a ship to finish boarding or whatever and you didn't know how it was going).

And the missions were crap hard for X-Wing! Crap hard! (at least for some).

Never played XWA except for the demo, got XVT along with X-WIng CD, but never played it multiplayer and the missions... did what a vacuum does. ~;)

Big King Sanctaphrax, how did you get that awesome smilie?!? ~:eek:

And I hate minefields. Whoever made the minefield missions should be shot. And again. Never could beat those @#($&(#)#*@&@^#*@ missions. Except when cheating. ~D

Sjakihata
09-02-2004, 00:23
I played a lot of X-Wing alliance, great game actually ~D

Norseman
09-02-2004, 00:23
Recently, I got a bit nostalgic and considering buying X-wing alliance. Does anyone know if this works with XP?

X-wing alliance worked on my PC with XP.

Big King Sanctaphrax
09-02-2004, 00:31
Awesome. Thanks.

Fragony
09-02-2004, 02:44
Oh yes I played them, as I grew up with Star Wars just hearing the music stirs up the nostalgia, and the fact that it were both excellent games didn't hurt. I actually reinstalled Tie fighter a while ago, compared to modern day pc-games it is also pleasantly challenging

Lehesu
09-02-2004, 02:53
TIE Fighter fricken owns. X-Wing should have been updated with the TIE Fighter style HUD and data display; they got gipped with some really [cruddy] tac data.

Matt Deckard
09-02-2004, 03:41
I've done some googling, and it appears alliance should work perfectly with XP, so I'll buy it.

It'll be nice to use a good joystick rather than the dreadful 2-axis-2-button job I used for the others.

Gah! I've had this for years, mate. It's awesome. Don't bother buying it. You can pretty much borrow mine permanentley. My joystick's knackered anyway. ~:joker:

TonkaToys
09-02-2004, 09:24

Ahhh yes... good old Tie Fighter! Definitely helps if you get a decent joystick... preferably one with multiple hats and programmable keys (or is that buttons).

71-hour Ahmed
09-04-2004, 22:59

You can get Tie Fighter and X Wing bundled together (or rather you could 4 years ago) with the X Wing Vs Tie Engine...but still the same HUDs. I have it... ah the fun of killing the Emperor and Darth Vader in the missions involving them...anyone notice the following in Tie fighter (i am such a tie geek);

Darth Vader always says " Excellent. The first kill is ours." even if all the other pilots on your side die first before you kill any.

Two of the campaigns are in the wrong order, with the result that B Wings are "new rebel fighters" in one when they already appeared in tonnes earlier in the game.

The missle boat completely sucked....and ruined some of the last missions for me.

frogbeastegg
09-05-2004, 09:34
I really hated the missile boat. Crappy shields, one popgun laser that did as much damage as a flashlight, a speedboost that drained said crappy shields of energy in so you boosted to a fight and died on arrival, loads of missiles but never actually enough of them to dogfight as per the craft's description (as in killing starfighters with advanced concussion missiles, starships with advanced rockets and never using the laser), and missions always involved being alone while half the galaxy tried to toast you. The missile boat was even worse than the assault gunboat, another ship that stank without exception.

In my opinion the worst thing about the mssile boat was that they made you fly it when you could have taken a TIE defender or advanced.

On most missions Vader was invincible, but I did spend a bit of time blasting the emperor to the underworld instead of rescuing him.

I used to play them with a simple two button jopystick; I still have it somewhere. There haven't been any decent space games in years so I don't even have it connected any more.

Phatose
09-06-2004, 06:34
You know, I always was quite fond of the missile boat. Only one gun sure - but because of the rather wacky way Tie Fighter handled multiple guns, it worked out acceptably. That one gun fired as fast and as damaging as all four danged lasers on a Tie-advanced. And while the battery would run out quickly, I seem to remember shifting from shields to guns practically refilling it. I'm pretty sure you could put guns to neutrals, shields to slight or heavy recharge, and have as much gun power output as a T/A.

Honestly, I just wish I could've changed the primary pod of advanced missiles to another pod of heavy rockets, which were IMHO far more useful.