PDA

View Full Version : X2 - The Threat

Somebody Else
09-06-2004, 04:28
Any one played this? Ever since I lost my copy of MTW, I've only had three games on my computer - Doom 3, The RTW demo and X2. X2 I've found to be horrendously more-ish, just wondering if anyone else got hit with the trading empire bug...

frogbeastegg
09-06-2004, 08:56
I played the original; is there a demo of this new one? I used to love space traders....

EDIT: heh, forgot to ask if the game was any good. ~:doh:

Somebody Else
09-06-2004, 09:07
Well... the last space trader I played was Freelancer, before that, it was Elite on an Archimedes Acorn (if anyone knows what one of them is)

X2 surpases Freelancer in scope by far - in that factories, and of course, fleets - ranging from tiny scout ships to transport freighters to vast destroyers and carriers available to buy, or capture.

I think it's very good - a few gripes - clunky menu system for one, but still madly addictive.

Don't know about a demo, I just picked it up randomly in HMV without all that much thought. Played it a bit, found it hard, gave up for a while. Came back to it a little later, decided not to play it as a straight combat sim (a least until I got a combat-capable ship) and found it to be brilliant. Don't forget to patch it, makes it so much better.

Stormer
09-06-2004, 19:04
i had it but just couldnt get into it i just kept getting lost and stuck in them trading stations. ~:doh:

BDC
09-06-2004, 19:15
It's pretty good, much better since the 1.4 patch. The expansion is coming out next year.

The main problem with it is that it lacks atmosphere almost everywhere. Freelancer was basically an FPS, where as X2 is an RTS with a bit of FPS action. Freelancer had much better atmosphere, but sucked in every other way comparatively.

Mount Suribachi
09-07-2004, 17:05
Demo files are here (http://www.enlight.com/x2/file.html) .

I've been looking at getting a space sim myself recently (I never did find a budget copy of I War 2). How freeform is the game?

Somebody Else
09-07-2004, 17:33
Well - if you're looking for plot, the main storyline isn't great, but there is plenty of scope to up your empire afterwards... though can get a tad repetitive... Making money also gets a bit silly later on in the game, due to an unfortunate bug that gives twenty times more than the due reward when completing certain random missions.

But it is pretty good.

CrackedAxe
09-12-2004, 17:14
I did'nt like it. The game itself was fine, but its environment was crap. The 'systems' were'nt even systems. Just a box of empty space with a load of space stations thrown in and jumpgates at each side. At least in Elite II you got to orbit planets that orbited suns and really felt like you were in space. In X2, there is no feeling of that so I could never really get into it. A soulless economy game.

Mount Suribachi
10-10-2007, 21:56
Holy Thread Revival Batman!!

I just picked this up for a fiver ~:) Installing it now, comes with the 1.4 patch.

Anyone anything to add? Any must-have plug-ins to enhance the original game?

FesterShinetop
10-11-2007, 09:05
Anyone anything to add? Any must-have plug-ins to enhance the original game?

How about X3? :laugh4:

Never played X2 so I can't comment on that... X3 is pretty good though. And you can pick that one up for $20 through Steam... there is also a pack available with X2 and X3 for $25 BTW...

MS I think your best bet is to check here:

http://www.egosoft.com/news/current_en.php

It's a good community so I am sure they are willing to help you out with X2!! :2thumbsup:

Phatose
10-14-2007, 00:47
I didn't care for X2. Space combat wasn't awful, but it wasn't good either. It was in all honesty more an economics sim then a space trader, but the developer's didn't realize that, and it shipped with an interface appropriate to a simple elite type trader, not space capitalism.