PDA

View Full Version : What Game Really got you into PC gaming?

King Edward
09-07-2004, 15:58
Mine is a combination, The first game i played was DOOM on my dads Laptop he broght home from work (Purely for DOOM i think be he claimes he did some work to! ~:joker: ) The other one was the Settlers. I played these to no end when i could (It was difficult getting dad of the laptop and the only other PC i had access to was a mates.)

Then One Fateful Christmas i got my Shiny new Pentium 120 with a wopping 1.2gig hard disk and a graphical joy that was 2mb on board graphics!! I purchased UFO Enemy unknown and havent looked back since.....

So post your first steps down the Slippery road that is PC Gaming!! ~:dizzy:

Soulflame
09-07-2004, 17:10
Ahh nostalgia. I think it was the famous Prince of Persia :). Among that same time period Duke Nukem (the first episodes... sidescrolling 2D game, not 3D). And alot of Apogee games.
Pentium? Well our first pc was a whopping 6mhz and had a turbo for 12 mhz ~:joker:. Ah good old times of the blue Norton Commander. No stupid Windows yet.

Been playing computer games ever since. Mainly RTS's (from Dune2 onward) and RPG's (Baldur's Gate was my first conact with those... ahh sweet memories).

Ser Clegane
09-07-2004, 17:35
Actually for me this "passion" did not start with a PC but with the C64 of a friend. The first game I played on this computer was "Forbidden Forest" and it got me absolutely hooked.
Since neither me nor my parents could afford a C64 at that time I spend a lot of time visiting my friend and playing lots of games I fondly remember (e.g., Football Manager, MULE, Aztec Challenge).

When my parents bought our first computer, an Amiga 500, it was hard to remove me from the computer to to some homework (at least in winter, when you could not do too much outside). Favourite games of that time include The Bard's Tale, Eye of the Beholder, TV Sports Football, Garrison, Syndicate, Marble Madness and more shoot-em-ups than I can count.

When I started to study I bought my first PC (a 486 66 MHz) and among the first games I got were the Ultima Underworld games and Doom.
Now I am sitting in front of my 5th PC and I do not think that I will stop gaming anytime soon ~:)

Somebody Else
09-07-2004, 17:37
Strip Poker 3... I was a very wide eyed six year old, until my father noticed it, and took it off my computer. I think it came pre-installed or something... I dunno... didn't ask.

(N.B. I use the age of six for any event I can remember doing before the age of about ten or so, because I can never remember exactly how old I was)

frogbeastegg
09-07-2004, 17:44
Prince of Persia on my cousin's PC; it had sword fighting and totally amazed the younger me. Also lemmings and x-mas lemmings; cute puzzliness and oh so addictive.

My first PC was intended solely for schoolwork but I got the borrowed games working before anything practical. Um, about 3 years before anything practical if I'm honest!

ShadesPanther
09-07-2004, 18:33
Civilization 2 and Comand and Conquer. So much fun with only 3 CDs (1 for each side in C+C ~;) ) They really started it and then I had Duke Nukem 3D and other games like Shadow Warior and Doom

The Scourge
09-07-2004, 18:33
The great battles of Alexander.
I was really into reading about Alexander at the time ,and remember thinking ,that there must a game about anything you could think of.

How wrong I was ,and the game kept crashing ,every other turn ,but we live in hope.

Sasaki Kojiro
09-07-2004, 18:42
VGA civil war strategy. Heck, I still play it!

lancelot
09-07-2004, 20:13
Star Wars Supremacy and command & conquer.

All those chicks brushed aside for the pleasure of beating the snot out of the rebel alliance.....sigh.....wasted youth ~:doh:

Big King Sanctaphrax
09-07-2004, 20:17
I used to play Lemmings, Thundercats and a dunebuggy game on my grandfathers Amiga. That was what started it off for me.

zelda12
09-07-2004, 20:57
Ahh, nostalgia.

I was introduced to gaming as a child, just before we got our brand spanking new computer (Pentium 1 115mhz, 2 gigs hard drive and 16mb Ram), I was at a friends birthday party who incidently had a new computer and an age of empires demo. From that moment on I have been hooked.

Joke is a virus then a lightning strike killed my new computer, leaving me with our very first. Even funnier is that it actually works on the internet and only takes between 10 and 60 seconds to load most sites. Faster at times than my new one. ~:joker:

Duke Dick
09-07-2004, 22:46
i was always a console gamer to be honest,and i still pre-dominantly, however, two games got me hooked to the PC for quite a while, the original Half-Life(more so opposing force) and Total Annihalation. I still play half life, and i look forward to thesecond one, but for me, the game which got me into gaming was Legend of Zelda on the NES, the best game series ever in my opinion, and one with which i own every title.

Kraellin
09-07-2004, 23:10
what a bunch of newbies :)

'Trek' on a mainframe, circa 1972-3. and here you thought 'Pong' started it all :) wrote my first code on a TRS 80 in that same computer lab with the mainframe terminals :)

K.

Teutonic Knight
09-08-2004, 00:08
practically an infant compared to you guys, AOE II got me into PC games with a serious conviction...

TheSilverKnight
09-08-2004, 00:15
AOE II for me, also. Then I got into the Cossacks Series by GSC...still into GSC games! ~D American Conquest: Fight Back, and Cossacks are still my favourites from them, course...never played anything else by them ~;p

DisruptorX
09-08-2004, 03:56
Al-Qadim: The Genie's Curse was the first non-educational PC game I got. It's an action-rpg (a good one, not like the Dark Alliance crap they push on us now) set in the AD&D world, for those who haven't heard of it.

The first PC game I ever played was Prince of Persia.

Papewaio
09-08-2004, 05:31
C-64 games... part of science course at school... and scouts... as our scoutmaster was also the science teahcer... so lots of games and roleplaying types... really started on paper and dice D&D (almost bought warhammer first) and then went onto computer games later...

Muneyoshi
09-08-2004, 06:16
Scorched Earth, and the Atari. That game and that console, thats all I needed to become an addict *twitch*

Efrem Da King
09-08-2004, 08:33
AOE2 FOr me too guys!

I played it at a friend of the familys house! OMG!! I have never looked back.

Duke John
09-08-2004, 11:13
Sopwith!
http://download.dosgamesarchive.com/sopwith.gif
This game was great! You can still download it here! (http://www.dosgamesarchive.com/download/game/127)

I guess I was 8 years or so. And my farther had one of the earliest laptops on which we played it. It was like a 70x60cm luggage/suitcase and weighed a ton. The keyboard could be removed from a side which then showed a 10" monocolour monitor. Ah, the old days...

econ21
09-08-2004, 11:47
Elite on the C-64 was my first taste of computer gaming. An amazing game. One feature was you could press a button for a "rearview mirror" button to check if you were being pursued by alien craft etc. I played it so much I remember taking a driving lesson, looking in the rear mirror and seeing a black galaxy with white stars. Scarey.

I did not play much else until my son got a Super Nintendo. He had a Japanese language WW2 game that was a very like prototype for Panzer General, my first real PC game and the game that really got me into PC gaming. The combination of historical units and scenarios, very easy but fun gameplay and a wonderful campaign hook was incredibly addictive.

I also got into CRPGs, the SNES Secret of Mana being a first taste and my first CRPG proper Might and Magic VI being a jaw-dropping discovery. Graphically it recreated a plausible world so vividly it was like finding a world in a bottle.

R'as al Ghul
09-08-2004, 13:26
Sopwith!
http://download.dosgamesarchive.com/sopwith.gif
This game was great! You can still download it here! (http://www.dosgamesarchive.com/download/game/127)

I guess I was 8 years or so. And my farther had one of the earliest laptops on which we played it. It was like a 70x60cm luggage/suitcase and weighed a ton. The keyboard could be removed from a side which then showed a 10" monocolour monitor. Ah, the old days...

Ahhh, those were the days. I followed your link and could relate to more than 50% of the gametitles. It also started with the C-64 for me. Hanging out at a friends and playing a simple "platform-jumping" game I don't remember the title of.....Ah yes "Jumpman".
From there on I played so much C-64 games that I would say "I've seen them all". Elite was the first game I modded with a Hex-Editor. Defender of the Crown took some lifetime fom me but Pirates! even topped that. If you add all those hours I played Pirates it would sum to months. After that the Amiga 500 was purchased and we were exchanging copies of the newest games on the schoolyard. From there on I constantly upgraded. Now, at least 20 years later, I have a 1.8 Ghz etc. and am still playing but much lesser than before.
I sometimes run an Amiga-emulator on my PC to play those old gems. A few days ago I felt the urge to play Air-Ace. Downloaded it and sucked majorly. Without the old "Competition Pro II" Joystick it's not the same.

R'as

AlexPeters
09-08-2004, 18:47
Competition Pro-Joysticks - they've been the best - i think i've broken three or four while playing the winter-/summer-olympics (Biathlon and 100m races, nothing for couch potatoes). Oh those days ~:mecry: - i started playing games on a friends Commodore 16+4 with a tapedrive, a motorcycle racing game i can't remember the name.
My first computer was a C64 - i bought it with my first earned money :saint: - and played so much on it that i still don't understand how i managed to pass school. Pirates and Defender of the Crown were my favorite games. The next machine has been an Amiga 500 (remembering Ghengis Khan ?) and then the first PC, a 386, 4MB Ram, 40MB Rom and i was so proud of it :jumping:

The Tuffen
09-08-2004, 19:58
I have to say that doom, civ 2 and C+C red alert were the first games that got me into pc gaming.

ICantSpellDawg
09-08-2004, 19:58
When i was a kid - i played oregon trail. Kinda liked it but would rather play war outside

then came Where in the world is carmen sandiego? Loved it and went on to play Castles II and a nameless wargame

stopped videogaming for a while until duke nukem, which made me update my comp

after that, the thing that made computers my life was Command and Conquer and AGE OF EMPIRES

Tricky Lady
09-08-2004, 21:57
The first computer game I've ever played was Pirates! on a friend's Amiga. Didn't have a game computer back then, so I had to go to his place to play some games.
Later on he purchased a PC and then Sid Meier's Colonization became our favourite. When I got my first PC (a Pentium 75 with 1 Gb HDD, now ten years ago) the first game I installed was, of course, Colonization. I've played it for almost a year; couldn't stop playing.
And then I gradually switched over to other strategy games, such as Civilization and so.

A.Saturnus
09-08-2004, 22:27
It wasn´t a game. It was the simple existence of the computer that attracted me. My earliest memory connected to computers is me and my brother playing with the command line of the C64 when I was 6. My father later installed the first game, Frogger. After some years of C64 we then switched to an AMIGA 2000. We still played it when most had already a PC but some time in the 90ties, my brother got a PC and this become our main platform.

Teutonic Knight
09-09-2004, 00:02
AOE II for me, also. Then I got into the Cossacks Series by GSC...still into GSC games! ~D American Conquest: Fight Back, and Cossacks are still my favourites from them, course...never played anything else by them ~;p

total dittoes here...

IrishMike
09-09-2004, 00:14
The orginal AoE and the orginal Red Alert. Still good stuff.

R'as al Ghul
09-09-2004, 13:39
It wasn´t a game. It was the simple existence of the computer that attracted me.

Exactly! "The medium is the message!"

R'as

The_Emperor
09-09-2004, 15:39
Ahh yes. For me it was my mates C64 as a kid. Spending all that time waiting for the games to actually Load before you played them on a good ol tape drive!!

Elite was one of the classics that started me off...

Later on in sixth form we had competitive Multiplayer games of Doom, Rise of the Triad, and Hi Octane after school hours on many nights with the Network Administrator, the shouts of swearing echoed through the empty corridors in anger when we were fragged...

Anyway you get the idea, I was hooked.

Spartiate
09-09-2004, 15:57
Starcraft.I hadn't used my pc for gaming but after reading a review somewhere i bought this game leading to an endless series of upgrades.Thanks a bunch Blizzard.I still wasn't an avid gamer however until one fine day i picked up a copy of Shogun TW off a shelf(having heard nothing about the game.Still playing it.

Lechev
09-09-2004, 17:27
The first game i ever played was "Romance of the three kingdoms" from Koei.
That was...uhm.....in 1989? I was in my first year at my tertiary collage then.

~D

ThijsP
09-09-2004, 18:57
I just remembered my first real game: California Games
On a Floppy. Played in on a 8hrz with a 16 hrz tubo pc

The Tuffen
09-09-2004, 23:38
forgot colonization. Was very disapointed when it wouldn't work on my w98 computer (it may of worked but i couldn't get it too even when i ran it though dos)

Aymar de Bois Mauri
09-10-2004, 01:36
what a bunch of newbies :)

'Trek' on a mainframe, circa 1972-3. and here you thought 'Pong' started it all :) wrote my first code on a TRS 80 in that same computer lab with the mainframe terminals :)

K.
HE!HE!HE! Agreed!!! What a bunch of newbies!!! :cool4:

An even older user than me!!! :scholar: Bravo!!! :bow:

For me it all started when I was 12 (in the early 80's) and recieved as a birthday gift my state of the art brand new high-end ZX Spectrum 48K!!! :wink: After I've played for the first time with games as varied as Knight Lore, Pac-Men, Chuckie Egg, etc... ...I was hooked!!! :wink2:

Aymar de Bois Mauri
09-10-2004, 02:01
As for PC gaming start, since I only ever bought electronic material related to school and work, I never got spoiled by pure playing systems or consoles. So I went from a ZX Spectrum to a 286 (when the processors were still called 80286).

The first games that got me hooked in the PC were Full Throtle and Grand Prix on a blistering fast high-end (at the time) Schneider PC 286 (12.5MHz, 1MB of RAM and a gigantic 80MB!!! hard disk). :shocked:

Needless to say that I'm still from the time when the initialization scroll of MS-DOS was a way to measure PC performance!!! :laugh4: :joker:

Lonewarrior
09-10-2004, 02:59
Wolfestein, that was the only one that got me to gaming pc.

On another note, is that spell fine???????

ICantSpellDawg
09-11-2004, 06:59
oh yea! oh my god

full throttle, how could i forget ??????????

i bought the strategy guide and i went all the way to the store to get it

actually my mom and dad drove me

i must have been a freshman

i loved it so much

Qilue
09-22-2004, 12:15
C-64 Solo Flight is the only one I can remember.

Later on a friend's comp (early 286), there was Railroad Tycoon, Elite+, Warlords and Sim Earth (I so wish Maxis would do a remake of this)

I finally bought my own PC in 1995 and have been playing games since although one of the first on this machine was Privateer, which also got me into an even better game, maxing base dos memory.

King Edward
09-22-2004, 12:44
C-64 Solo Flight is the only one I can remember.

Later on a friend's comp (early 286), there was Railroad Tycoon, Elite+, Warlords and Sim Earth (I so wish Maxis would do a remake of this)

I finally bought my own PC in 1995 and have been playing games since although one of the first on this machine was Privateer, which also got me into an even better game, maxing base dos memory.

I remember Solo Flight my dad used to play it on our old c64! i could never land the damn planes!!!

tombom
09-26-2004, 06:11
Demo of AoE:RoR. Got me absolutely hooked. I'd play it whenever I could.

amir
09-26-2004, 06:40
belieave it or not... simcity 2000!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

solypsist
09-26-2004, 08:24
Shogun Total War

I had never considered computer games as a regualr hobby (though I had played some here and there on the Commodore 64 when I was teenager).

TosaInu
09-26-2004, 13:11
PC-gaming: Westwood Red Alert.
Mac-gaming: ID's Doom2.
C64-gaming: 3? Last Ninja.

TosaInu
09-26-2004, 13:14
Shogun Total War

I had never considered computer games as a regualr hobby (though I had played some here and there on the Commodore 64 when I was teenager).

I somewhat second that. Unreal and UT are another. Shogun Totalwar made it more serious than anything else. I seriously doubt any other game will ever surpass it.

Beirut
09-26-2004, 13:32
Falcon 3 on a 286/16 with no sound and a B&W screen.

Been a flight sim junkie ever since. ~:smoking:

MadKow
09-28-2004, 16:33
Elite for the ZX Spectrum. Still up there on the hours spent playing rank.

First strategy game was Arnhem, a world war 2 wargame made by a fellow called R.T. Smith. I was pleased to find his name among the credits of MTW, almost 20 years later.

Kraellin
09-28-2004, 21:52
aymar,

you prolly remember the timex sinclairs also. i wanted one of those soooo badly :)

K.

dlundie
09-29-2004, 11:47
Wolfenstien, and Net Trek, oh the days when we played them at UNI and every one thought we were studying on the Uni's Pc's. Tennis was the first game i played on console but i cant recall what type of console it was. But i remember we had a BW TV and two controls and we thought two white bars and a white ball were the best thing ever. The sound effects were fantastic "BOYNK" "BOYNK"

TosaInu
09-29-2004, 12:57
Needless to say that I'm still from the time when the initialization scroll of MS-DOS was a way to measure PC performance!!! :laugh4: :joker:

Anything loading faster than 45 seconds on the C64 was bugged ;)

Cazbol
09-30-2004, 09:42
The first PC game that made me play with a passion was Civilization (the first one). I found it intsalled on a computer at my university. Fond memories.

bmolsson
10-12-2004, 03:20
My first game was "pitfall" on a ABC80 machine. Before the PC was born..... ;)

chemchok
10-12-2004, 05:16
The first computer games? It would probably be a tie between Ultima IV, Silent Service, and the Wizard's Crown series on my Apple IIgs. My Atari 2600 had all of my attention before the IIgs was around.

Lechev
10-12-2004, 09:54
The first computer games? It would probably be a tie between Ultima IV, Silent Service, and the Wizard's Crown series on my Apple IIgs. My Atari 2600 had all of my attention before the IIgs was around.

Silent Service? Yeah i played Silent Service 2 before. A very cool submarine sim game at its time. I sink a carrier once with 12 torps ( actually 16, but 4 of them are duds ). Have to limp back to my based afterwards..... those destroyers are really pain in the ass.

The realism is there and to me its a rare gem during those time. ~;)

pyhhricvictory
10-14-2004, 00:14
First computer game had to be warlords. I still buy every Warlords game that comes out in hopes of getting the same feeling that I had playing that game. Age of Rifles was good as well.

On consoles, I had an Intellivision. For some reason I loved baseball and burger time. I tghought the little man looked almost real.

ChaosLord
10-14-2004, 01:25
Well, I had been playing a few misc games before this but the game that first got me really addicted was Warcraft. It was like a revelation, wasted so much time playing it, WC2, and then Starcraft became worse then drugs for me and a few of my friends. But Warcraft is where it all started, still have fond memories of killing orcs.

Ii Naomasa
10-15-2004, 14:21
Kraellin's got me beat by about a decade, as the games that hooked me on using computers for playing were things like Shooting Gallery and Megabug on the TRS-80. Nothing like talking your mom into a decision on a computer to buy with the ulterior motive of the games you can play on it. ~;) That ran through the years, from the C64 to the Amiga. Heck, while all my pronounced reasonings for going to a 386 were sound, I'll fully admit it was to play Civilization and Falcon 3.

william the bastard
10-15-2004, 22:19
Originally Posted by A.Saturnus
It wasn´t a game. It was the simple existence of the computer that attracted me.

Lol , just the same for me. My first comp game was a pong ~D and now my son explain me how to play MOH :dizzy2: and i am still losing ~:confused:

Aymar de Bois Mauri
10-15-2004, 23:40
aymar,

you prolly remember the timex sinclairs also. i wanted one of those soooo badly :)

K.
I believe so. Wasn't that the one that came with two colors (silver or black) and the larger keyboard with the monstruous 128KB? :thinking:

Aymar de Bois Mauri
10-15-2004, 23:49
Anything loading faster than 45 seconds on the C64 was bugged ;)
Anything loading faster than 3 min on the ZX Spectrum was bugged... :wink:

metatron
10-16-2004, 03:00
Total Annihilation.

Before that, I had a few, including Duke Nukem 3D, but I was mostly a console player.

Sp00n
10-20-2004, 15:27
Homeworld for me, after 6 months of playing it to death I converted to Shogun ah the those were the days.

MizuSp00n

Togakure
10-20-2004, 17:59
Console Pong was my first computer game. As home games were slim in my youth, I and my friends spent a lot of time (and quarters) at the local 7-Eleven, playing games like Omega Race, Asteroids, Tempest, Centipede, and Galaga. Before that it was all good ol' pinball.

I think my first PC-based computer game was Doom. My brother had gotten a Commodore 64 and had beaten me to the punch. The only game I can remember him playing on it was called Bard's Tale. Hmm ... maybe that wasn't until he got his Amiga. Anyway, Doom hooked me for good on PC games.

My first strategy PC game was Masters of Magic, followed soon after by Master of Orion and MOO II. All were great games in their time, and I spent hours upon hours playing them.

UglyandHasty
10-20-2004, 19:34
memories :)

my first pc game, the one that got me addicted, was civilisation. I spend countless hours playing Civ on a computer at the university informatic lab. Then i quickly shift to the CloseCombat series.

Rob The Bastard
10-22-2004, 03:39
The first game that I bought for a PC was Aces over the Pacific... The fact that I couldn't get AOTP for the Amiga 500 was a major influence in my purchasing the PC ( a 386 DX40 ~:eek: )

dessa14
10-26-2004, 12:59
Pirates on the commodore 64
thanks,
dessa

Alrowan
10-26-2004, 15:02
in 1988 my family got its first computer, i was 5 at the time, and that cristmas we moved to a new town. Here is where i first started playing games, when i was 6, in 1989. First computer, an old microbee somethingorather, first game, pitfall, pacman, all in MONOCHROME BABY!

anyway, 1 year later dad got his first pc, in fact it was the orriginal PC, the IBM 086 XT That introduced me to games like wolfenstien 3D, crystal caves, and many other woderful classics of the XT

The XT kept me entertained whenever my dad would let me use it, eventually intrest faded, and we moved again. This time to sydney. Dad bought a new 286, and once again i played some classic games like goldenaxe, and others. He then upgraded to a 486 with a whopping 66MGhz on turbo, i went threough a phaze of amatuer pirating at the age of 10 and 11, with my friend and the BBS system (yep, long before the internet was publically available)

Then it all changed. Christmas 1995, we got a top of the range pentium, 100 MGhz, and it wasnt for dad, it was for me and my brothers! We also got the game that would change my life forever... Mechwarrior 2. I couldnt get enough of that game, i think i finnished it about 100 x from there i played all the other classics, like doom2, warcraft 2, heroes of might and magic 2... it was an era for 2!!

as i got into my highschool years, PC gaming faded as i concentrated more on studies and friends. However, when my dad once again bought a new PC, a pentium III 660 i returned to the gaming world. games like tony hawkes 2, UT and a few others kept me hooked, then when i finnished highschool i bought my own PC, and havnt gotten off it since :p

actually i have, but this PC has basically evolved form the first specs it had.

Medieval Total War opened me up to the whole online gaming thing, and i havent looked back since

ah_dut
10-26-2004, 21:13
My first game was doom at the age of 4 and a half. I actually completed the whole game with no cheats in a matter of weeks. On a 486DX turbo of course. I'm such a newbie to games :sigh:

Sethik
10-27-2004, 03:40
I forget what game got me into PC gaming in the first place, but I remember the game that drew me towards strategy: Master of Magic, one of the greatest strategy games of ALL time.

This game is amazing. The basic premise is that you are a powerful wizard. You can choose from two dozen preset wizards or create your own. That is one of the games amazing features and one way it was ahead of its time. The customization available was staggering! After your avatar was selected you can choose from a host of character traits and pick spellbooks from 5 different schools of magic. Each school easily had over hundred spells. Afterwards you pick from around 15-20 races and start the game.

Did I mention that the game maps are generated EACH TIME you play? That's one of the other great things that set it ahead of its time and added infinite replayability. You never played the same game twice. You start off with a city, 2 units, and couple spells. Cities can be built up with dozens of different buildings. You build units, research spells, and eventually kill all your wizard opponents (max of only 4 unfourtantly.)

Combat was also amazing in this game. The mechanics of the combat system were extremely complex. When two stacks of units fought you were taken into a gridbased battle map. On the battlemap your units duked it with the enemies with the help of spells you can cast from your spellbook. Now each unit might have several men/figures in it and each figure's attack is determined SEPERATLY! So if the troll spearmen had 4 men and attacked some war bears (2 figures) the each individual spearmen would have an attack roll! Terrain and the like was also factored in. This was a really, really developed and fleshed out system and was years ahead of its time (1994 game was made.)

This game is amazing and I was still playing it in the beginning of the year (before I found MTW ~D), but after playing a hundred odd campaigns it doesn't have the same feeling.

This game is like an ancient MTW set to a fantasy theme. The game rocks. I recomend it to everyone. Luckly its abandonware now so you can get it here:

[edit: link removed]

Ninja edit: The game was developed by Microprose, the company responsible for the X-COM series, the Master of Orion series, and many other fantastic games.

Real Edit: In fact, after reviewing some of the games Microprose had produced, I realized this company made dozens of fantastic games. Some of them are real classics and I'm sure you might have heard of them already. Here's a list of their abandonware games: [edit: link removed]

EDIT: No unofficial abandonware please; it's a very dodgy area legally.

Edit: If anyone wants the link pm me.

Tamur
10-27-2004, 04:00
err... *cough* Oregon Trail, on a TRS-80. Had to type the code in myself.

Edit: on an up note, that made it *danged* easy to learn the game mechanics ~:)

Rob The Bastard
11-02-2004, 09:06
Prior to getting a PC I played:

Fort Apocalypse

http://www.wise.net.nz/users/robm/fort_apocalypse.gif

Battlemech: The Crescent Hawks Inception

http://www.wise.net.nz/users/robm/Battlemech.gif

Gunship

http://www.wise.net.nz/users/robm/gunship_01.gif http://www.wise.net.nz/users/robm/gunship_03.gif
http://www.wise.net.nz/users/robm/gunship_04.gif http://www.wise.net.nz/users/robm/gunship_05.gif

Red Baron

http://www.wise.net.nz/users/robm/redbaron.bmp

It's amazing that only 10 - 12 years has past, when you look at the graphics that we have now... ( at least I know what to blame my deteriorating eyesight on. ~:) )

Papewaio
11-02-2004, 09:22
I remember in that Battlemech game using anti-mech missile launchers as anti-person weapons... very nasty.

Silianat
11-02-2004, 21:32
Well me being young my first game that I really remember that made me love teh PC was Warcraft 2. The warcraft games were so cool then, and are still fun to go back and play. There were other games taht i remember playing but I can't recall the names of them right now. There was a fighter jet one and a game that was something like 'dragonwarrior' maybe. :duel:

ToranagaSama
11-11-2004, 00:57
Pong was the first video game I played, back at the Dairy Queen on Flatbush Avenue, next to Eramus Hall H.S.

I spent 4K on my first PC in the early 90s, a 486. I had taught myself quite a bit re Computers thru work, and wanted my own personal one. Choose a computer over a CAR! I played with it a lot, but had no intention of doing anything as trivial as playing *games*. I intended to improve my knowledge and make some money with it.

One day at a local electronics store a salesman talked my GF and I into purchasing a $60 game, I can't recall the name of. Some sort of Myst type game. We would play it together and she enjoyed it a more than me. Games were still too trivial for my $4K baby.

Several months later I advised a friend on his PC purchase. Included with his purchase was a game. One day he came over to visit, and brought this CD. He said, "...you gotta check this out...." That game was Doom 2! OMG! Soon after, I tried Wolfenstein, again, OMG!

But, the game that truly got me hooked was Descent 2. I tried the Demo, then ran out and bought the game the same day. Then there was Total Annihilation.

It was official, I was a Gamer. Civ2 made me a TBS gamer.

BTW, I never made a dollar with that PC, but I made quite a bit, in the Market, as a result of the knowledge I gained.

RZST
11-16-2004, 07:37
command and conquer series was the one game that got me hooked into pc games. ah the good ol times when just massing medium tanks would get the job done... *sigh*

Lacker
11-17-2004, 09:00
First PC game I can remember is either Captain Magneto (man that spider was hard to kill) or Carmen Sandiego.

The game that made me NEED a PC with punch was first DOOM, then Heretic. Xcom was probably my first gamming addiction (still play the original version a TON) and I was a big fan of Stunt Island.

A

spacecadet
11-19-2004, 00:15
I bought my first PC just to play Shogun TW (also my first online addiction)......although my first PC game played was Doom on my Bro's ancient PC :bow:

Bob the Insane
11-19-2004, 11:59
Years ago my mother was doing some Open university course that had a technology module and she needed a PC... My uncle worked for Unisys and the next thing you know we have a 286 10MHz VGA PC with 1 MB extended RAM (or was that expanded), massive 20MB hard drive and a 5 1/2 inch floppy drive...

First game, Microprose's F19 in the big purple box... Second game and the one to really get my attention, Wing Commander...

Friend of mine's dad was also a tech freak and had a 286 16MHz PC with an Adlib sound card (remember those...) which was plugged into their big stereo... The world was never quite the same again...

SwordsMaster
11-19-2004, 13:22
I got into PC gaming with Age of Empires. The demo came with the Windows 95 cd....

Ah....those old days....

Vikings
11-26-2004, 14:54
Well it depend on what kinda of games, RTS would be Total Annihilation; RPG would be Morrowind and Neverwinternights and which i do play Total War series as well.

Wouldnt believe how much money i have wasted on games that i cannot find to be happy with. Some details on packages as well pictures such a show off and you ppls realise that the game itself suck really bad.

Gawain of Orkeny
11-26-2004, 16:42
Well my first game was pong but thats not really a pc game. My first computer was a C-64. I loved how it could use cartridges.Im surprised they dont still make them for anyother pc systems. Remeber turbo graphics that was the first really powerful console I can remember. My favorite games were the Ultima series and wizardry. Also Pirates was real neat and Mule .

Jacque Schtrapp
11-27-2004, 18:56
Leisure Suit Larry and the Forgotten Realms series on the C64 way back in 1991 really hooked me. Before that I played some type of bombing game on the TSR80 in 1981 and Where in the World is Carmen San Diego on the Apple II in the mid eighties. ~;)