PDA

View Full Version : Thread rating

Duke John
09-08-2004, 12:02
I just noticed this, and it seems that everybody is able to rate a thread. Is this usefull, or will it just distract?

What are the benefits for having such a feature? I guess it might be helpfull for moderators to "reward" some excellent threads to make them stand out besides making them a sticky. However if this can be done by everybody then it will just be a mess and a worthless feature IMO.

Any other thoughts?

Admin
09-08-2004, 12:24
I haven't announced/activated this feature yet, as I wasn't sure about it either. It can be nice I guess and it can also turn out badly. Some thoughts from the members are welcome.

King Edward
09-08-2004, 12:30
I think a rate this thread feature isnt really needed. Differnet people visit the forums for different reasons, so different threads appeal to different people.

Also just by looking at a thread the member will decide to themselves how 'good' it is.

Just my 2 Cents.

Ser Clegane
09-08-2004, 13:06
I do not think that this feature will be very helpful as the "quality" of a thread is not easy to judge and might easily change during its "lifetime" to better or worse (especially in the Tavern ~;p )

Shahed
09-08-2004, 15:21
The quality of the thread differs from reader to reader. one may love it another may hate it. For example:

Thread name: Top 10 reasons for supporting The Whatever_It's_Called Party in the election.

For me I'd rate it a ZERO, others may rate it a TEN.

Thread name: Top 10 reasons for not deploying Greek_Macedonian_Roman_Screeching_Phalanx_Naptha_Bombers in single line formation.

I'd rate it a ten wheras others would rate it a zero.

It will be very subjective and some will abuse it to get 5 stars on the threads they choose to support. It could cause administrative problems in that sense.

I do however think it can be an added feature, provided nothing more important is not excluded due to it's presence. I do think it's a good feature though subjective.

Salute !

Ludens
09-08-2004, 15:34
The quality of the thread differs from reader to reader. one may love it another may hate it. For example:

Thread name: Top 10 reasons for supporting The Whatever_It's_Called Party in the election.

For me I'd rate it a ZERO, others may rate it a TEN.
I guess you wouldn't even open that thread if you think that way about politics, let alone rate it. Only supporters of the 'Whatever_It's_Called Party' would open it and they'd probably rate it high. Thus, the rating will not correspond to the average rating of all Org members, merely to that of the supporters. And that rather defeats the point of rating it, doesn't it?

This is an extreme example, but since patrons only open topics they are interested in, a quality-rating is rather redundant. I select topics on their content, independent of whether it is a technical discussion or just some new patron asking old questions. The feature would be useful if the Org was overflowing with newly posted topics and you had to be picky even if your interests are limited. But I don't think the Org is quite that busy yet.

Tricky Lady
09-08-2004, 21:32
How do you rate threads?
I've noticed that a few of the threads have some "stars" to indicate its rating, but I cannot see where to rate them.

And btw, I don't think rating is such a wonderfull idea. It depends too much on one's personal flavour, and will not (always) represent the real "value" of a thread, as some have already pointed out here.
The feature won't annoy me, but I don't think I will use it that much (unless perhaps to disapprove on a spamming thread or a multiple annoying-and-pointless-questioning thread like we've seen a few the past few days in the Entrance Hall).

The_Emperor
09-10-2004, 14:55
Come on guys we need this feature, just to rate Soly's thread in the Frontroom! ~;)

Shahed
09-10-2004, 15:11
HOOAAAH ! that's a fiver ! ~;)