PDA

View Full Version : Research: Text files

Duke John
09-08-2004, 19:21
The R:TW demo doesn't allow alot of modding besides changing the battle setup, but Bgreman from TWC did extract all the text files from the PAK files. Follow this link. (http://www.twcenter.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=7168)

I looked through them for a bit and noticed that things have changed. Before in M:TW translation was done like this:

@["factions_posessive_xzy"]
@{"Rebel"}
@{"Roman"}
etc.
And this then put into a line like:

This is a faction_posessive_xzy city.
Which would turn into:

This is a Roman city.

However it is now coded in the translation files in the following way:

This is a Rebel city.
This is a Roman city.
This is a Greek city.
etc.

So almost each piece of line is culture specific. Why culture? Well just look through the files and you will only see a couple of entries:

{proconsuls_palace_barbarian_desc}
{proconsuls_palace_carthage_desc}
{proconsuls_palace_eastern_desc}
{proconsuls_palace_egyptian_desc}
{proconsuls_palace_greek_desc}
{proconsuls_palace_roman_desc}

These are all the description entries for the Proconsuls Palace, but there are only 6 entries. I believe that there are far more factions so it seems that faction share entries. For example you might be able to assign that Brittain and Gaul use the barbarian entries.

My proposal
Let's work as a team (for now :wink:) and find out which entries there are. I want to suggest the following method:
Look for all entries that cover a single item. Then make a list of all entries that will need to be added if you want add that item; ie a building or unit.

To make a start and to make my point clear I'll do the building entries.

Building entries
Since all buildings will probably use the same set of translation entries I will just search all entries of a single building called Proconsuls Palace. But to make things clear I will replace it with NewBuilding:

{NewBuilding_desc}
{NewBuilding_Culture_desc_short}

Hmm, that was all, but you can do the same for units, titles, agents, provinces, heirs, events such dying, etc.

Good luck and cheers to some teamwork! :medievalcheers:
Duke John

Silver Rusher
09-08-2004, 19:27
This looks interesting, and some of it looks a lot like the modding in startpos from medieval.

Duke John
09-10-2004, 18:51
Found in events.doc

Buildings

{building_completed_body_Culture}

Units

{unit_completed_body_Culture}

Settlements

{settlement_taken_body_Culture}

{settlement_besieged_body_Culture}

{settlement_destroyed_body_Culture}

{settlement_unrest_body_Culture}

{settlement_revolts_body_Culture}]

{settlement_surrender_body_Culture}]

Leaders

{faction_leader_dies_body_Culture}

{faction_leader_killed_body_Culture}

{faction_leader_imperator_body_Culture}

Faction achievement

{faction_richest_body_Culture}

{faction_largest_body_Culture}

{faction_strongest_body_Culture}

{faction_adavanced_body_Culture}

Silver Rusher
09-10-2004, 19:25
Y'know, according to this, there are about 2 cities and 3 extra forts in each province (not like this in EVERY province) and more than twice as many land regions as in MTW. If it comes with the option of building new cities, that would be good but only if they are very expensive and time-consuming, or people would just build cities all over the place.

Encaitar
09-11-2004, 03:17
The provinces and city file contains 103 province names, and 1 city name for each province.

themonkey
09-13-2004, 21:46
I can't open the files

biguth dickuth
09-14-2004, 00:23
Y'know, according to this, there are about 2 cities and 3 extra forts in each province (not like this in EVERY province) and more than twice as many land regions as in MTW. If it comes with the option of building new cities, that would be good but only if they are very expensive and time-consuming, or people would just build cities all over the place.
How did you reach to this conclusion? ~:confused:
I would prefer it to be the way you describe but i just don't see any sign of it happening that way.

Duke John
09-22-2004, 08:27
Have all the modders gone into hibernation? Since Rome is coming I thought I wasn't the only one who can't wait to mod it. A bit cautious here, hey?

But don't let that other site take over our lead when it comes modding, ok? :wink:

Silver Rusher
09-22-2004, 08:32
I Can't Wait To Mod It!!!
That's Why I'm Making The Ctw Mod, The First Mod Thread In This Forum Which Therefore Means It Has To Be Sticky!