PDA

View Full Version : smileys selection criteria

Blodrast
09-10-2004, 00:08
Hi Tosa,

this is merely my curiosity. How are the smileys that are to be displayed on a "compose" page selected from the huge number of smileys available ?
I was wondering whether the board code is smart enough to place there the most frequently used ones (changing them periodically according to the changes in their use), but I'm not so sure about that lately.
My point is that we could have a discussion to see which ones are the most popular and always have those displayed in-page. For me at least, clicking on the "More" link to display all of them in a window is kinda annoying and usually takes quite a bit of time (5-10 seconds to finish loading the window).
For instance, this one :phonecall: hardly justifies its position in the in-page list of smileys, because it's hardly ever used.
Putting all/most of the most popular ones at a click's distance might make things just a tad easier.

It's certainly not a big deal, just a suggestion.

Admin
09-10-2004, 22:55
Hello Blodrast,

There's no most popular selection by the code. Here you have to decide how many smileys should be displayed (how many rows) and then the lowest rank number is displayed first.

Post your (and this is for all other forumusers too) favourites here and we'll change the list.

Tricky Lady
09-10-2004, 23:08
Okay, you've asked for it. ~;p

:skull: :laugh4: :beam: :sweatdrop: :shame: :inquisitive: :cry: :stunned: :thumbsdown: :thumbsup: :no: :yes: :rtwno: :rtwyes: :medievalcheers:

frogbeastegg
09-10-2004, 23:21
I shall leave out the geisha smilies as they are something of a special set, and I've memorised the codes anyway. I shall also leave out those smilies the geisha versions replace, such as confused. Favourites in no real order:
~: mecry:
~: handball:
: bow:
: charge:
: duel:
: surrender:
: juggle2:
: help:
: wall:
: furious3:
: whip:
: stunned:
: yes:
: dizzy2:
: zzz:
: no:
: smash:
: idea2:
: oops:
: medievalcheers:
: inquisitive:

:curses smiley limit and keeps removing them one at a time until this will post: How many smilies are allowed per post anyway? :keeps removing, still too many: Ok, I shall break the codes - I don't have time to keep whittling them down.

Also is it possible to get the help card displaying the smilies in alphabetical order? Takes me ages to find some of them.

Sasaki Kojiro
09-10-2004, 23:34
~:) ~:joker: ~;p ~;) ~D ~:eek: ~:confused: ~:grouphug: :bow: ~:rolleyes: ~:smoking: ~:wave:

:embarassed: :furious3: :whip: ~:cheers:

Blodrast
09-11-2004, 00:43
Thank you, TosaInu.

~:) ~;) ~;p ~D ~:joker: ~:shock:
~:confused: ~:rolleyes: ~:angry: ~:pissed: ~:cheers: :jumping: ~:pat: :saint: ~:wave: :knight:

~ : thumb:
: bow:
: grin:
: grin2:
: egypt:
: jester:
: wall:
: shocked:
: furious3:
: huh:
: yes:
: thumbsup:
: oops:
: rtwno:
: rtwyes:
: medievalcheers:

Admin
09-12-2004, 21:49
The images limit was 20, updated to 50 now.

It appears that the smiley box breaks out of the border with some browsers, any experiences?

Alphabetical order? Yes, that should be possible, though I've to give it a 2nd look.

Input for this round of update will be open for a few more days, I'll pick the most favourites ones then.

Blodrast
09-13-2004, 18:05
thanks Tosa,

yup, the smiley box does break out of the window on my Mozilla (mozilla 1.0.1, linux)

Nigel
09-13-2004, 18:42
Good idea.
Here is my contribution :

~;) :smiley: ~;p ~:cool: :no: :clown: :2thumbsup: :knight: ~:mecry: ~:confused: ~D ~:rolleyes: :skull: :book: :wall: :balloon2: :oops: :barrel: :medievalcheers: :duel:

Steppe Merc
09-13-2004, 20:58
~;p ~:joker: :bow: ~:confused: :furious3: :medievalcheers: :rtwno: :rtwyes: ~:grouphug: :inquisitive:

Admin
09-14-2004, 13:26
thanks Tosa,

yup, the smiley box does break out of the window on my Mozilla (mozilla 1.0.1, linux)

Thanks for the feedback.

Admin
09-15-2004, 17:15
alphabetical order?

Yes, but the click smileys will be listed first. Read the help card from left to right and top down.

I'll select the smileys now.

Admin
09-15-2004, 19:38
Here are the new click smilies. The TW ones like :barrel: and :rtwno: couldn't be included due to how this software works. These 40 are in alphabetical order, the other 300 or so will follow later.