PDA

View Full Version : Arthur mod

oldnfaded
09-03-2004, 17:46
Can someone please post this as a seperate thread as I cannot start new threads.

Thanks to info posted by the patrons of the org , I have become a major modder. heheh

My first mod was to add four regions in Frankland and the Franks to Viking invasion with emmisaries and pagan shamn etc. learned a lot on this one.

My latest attempt was an Arthurian mod. I erased the map labels and did fresh ones . Created all new regions (redrawn map.) changed all the factions and religions to 5th century ones. Modded the buildings and units. added new agents etc. This is working and I intend to upload the mod for others to test. It appears to be working fine. Some of the troop images on the battle maps are not right ie too medieval and I want to progress to making animation bifs sometime soon and In particular late Roman troop types. I looked at the ones in fall of Rome but although nice they are 2nd century Lorica segmentata rather than the lighter mail and tunics of the 4th and 5th century. I want to try animations anyway heh

Now for the question ?=0)

I want to create a Vortigern mod ie early 5th century. Since it will use almost the same troop types as the Arthurian model I wanted to keep it all in the same directory. Now although I can use different era descriptions using the era title this does not seem to work for the factions.
Ie@["Era_description_ARTHUR"] works, whereas
@["FSM_faction_info_faction_FN_00_ARTHUR"] does not

Is there a solution to this or will I need a seperate installation for each mod. The faction description seems to be the only problem in keeping both mods in the same directory. I find it hard to believe there is no solution but having seen the chaotic state of the TW script files it would not surprise me. They appear to have been progrmmed by a commitee rather than professional programmers. Shame considering how great the game is.

-------------edit by drone-----------------------------
Arthur TW v1 can be found on AtomicGamer here (http://www.atomicgamer.com/files/34641/arthur-exe#).
The 1.01 patch (arthur101patch.zip) can be found here (http://www.totalwar.org/Downloads/Mtw_Uploads/MTWupload/bak-jun-2005/).
------------------------------------------------------

Duke John
09-10-2004, 21:02
oldnfaded
I have split your topic from the Introduction thread as requested. If you want a different name for your mod then just PM (I will be away for a week though).

oldnfaded
09-10-2004, 21:21
oldnfaded
I have split your topic from the Introduction thread as requested. If you want a different name for your mod then just PM (I will be away for a week though).

Many thanks
The mod is virtually complete except for some 3D graphics however discussion with the owner of the fall of Rome mod leads me to believe that his next release will satisfy my needs in this respect. The mod is ready for beta testing. HOWEVER it is still 41 mbs compressed into the self installer despite all my efforts to reduce it so i cannot at present upload to the org. I have an offer from someone to post it if i mail it to them but i don't believe my mailer will handle this. Anyone got any suggestions ie an FTP site with 41Mbs free???

oldnfaded

BTW for those interested, the mod is based on the Bernard Cornwell novels rather than the 14th century fantasies. It has 9 factions. 4 briton 2 saxon and the Irish, scots and picts. of the Brits Powys is still desperately Roman and pagan. Arthur is the king of Dumnonia.

saundersag
09-10-2004, 21:29
This sounds like an intresting mod, to compress it have you tried winrar as this is a lot better than winzip at compressing you can get a trial version from this website. winrar (http://www.rarlab.com/download.htm)

oldnfaded
09-14-2004, 13:35
My Arthurian mod (historical rather than fantasy/myth) is ready for testing. however the self install file is 42 mbs and cannot therefore be uploaded to the org. Does anyone have 40plus megs available for FTP for the beta test version.

The mod is based on the fictional works of Bernard Cornwell. It seems to work without problems, has reasonably accurate troop types and defeat in battle is catastrophic as replacement times are long and expensive.

If you can help please PM me.

oldnfaded

Myrddraal
09-14-2004, 16:16
I will invite u to join GMail. This means you can send bigger attachments. Then you can send me the file and I will upload it. To do this I need your current email address to invite u.

oldnfaded
09-14-2004, 21:23
I will invite u to join GMail. This means you can send bigger attachments. Then you can send me the file and I will upload it. To do this I need your current email address to invite u.

great
thoughtpolice@terra.es

ah_dut
09-14-2004, 22:01
Damn you beat me to the mark i went to the EH got here and then someone's stolen the words straight outta my mouth

Ldvs
09-15-2004, 21:04
oldnfaded, is this an add-on or does it overwrite the files? Considering the small size it is very likely to overwrite ~;) If so, can we still play MTW (not the Viking part of course) normally ?

oldnfaded
09-16-2004, 00:51
oldnfaded, is this an add-on or does it overwrite the files? Considering the small size it is very likely to overwrite ~;) If so, can we still play MTW (not the Viking part of course) normally ?

Hmm , I dont know. It is actually designed to run with the fall of rome mod and even then a modified version. Its a complete overwrite of VI. New map, all new factions, new troop types, new agents, new buildings. Answer is not sure if it will run with MTW or not. I would need to test it. The dead files certainly wouldnt work. The mod is designed as the first of a string of "dark age" britain mods. The next will be Vortigern.

oldnfaded.

oldnfaded
09-16-2004, 19:15

D***

GMail is not enough, it only allows uploads of 10Mbs. On smaller uploads it kept dumping me out. I need to find a decent free FTP site or direct access to the org uploads. Maybe one of the admin can help here.

oldnfaded

oldnfaded
09-19-2004, 13:12
Thanks to repeated help from admin, I have now managed to upload my Arthur mod. Hopefully it weill be available in a day or so. My thanks go out to all regular org contributors , as I have drawn heavily on their work. I have "borrowed" much of the artwork from other mods as my graphics skills are cr**.
I would like to thank and credit them all but cannot remember whose mods i "borrowed" from. Some I can remember

HTW. some 3D graphics
the Lords for their patrician buildings,
pats pagan resources.
All of Duke John and wellingtons work that has been so illuminating.

I would very much appreciate feed back on the mod as I am still play testing and balancing and looking for more 3D graphics . (In particular late roman auxiliary units etc.)

oldnfaded

oldnfaded
09-19-2004, 14:30
Many thanks to admin.

The file is now available at

http://www.3ddownloads.com/strategy-gaming/totalwar/MTW/Stats/arthur.exe

Silver Rusher
09-19-2004, 14:59
Can't wait to download.

Can we please see some screenshots?

Silver Rusher
09-19-2004, 16:24
After downloading your mod, I have one thing to say...

WOW WOW WOW

YOU ARE A F*CK!|\l9 GENIUS!!!!

Just for your incredible work, I think that you definately deserve to become a senior member pronto.

If you need me to Beta test the saxons, just ask. I can play the first thirty years ten times using different strategies to try and find flaws, good stuff, bugs, new and good ideas, etc.

PS, did you make this mod by yourself? Cos it sure is good.

Ok, but that isn't to say that I haven't already found a bug. Some of the units and buildings don't have infopics, this is quite bad as it causes my game to crash.

I would like to thank and credit them all but cannot remember whose mods i "borrowed" from. Some I can remember

I think you forgot to include BKB because the shaman graphics are definately his.

oldnfaded
09-19-2004, 16:51
PS, did you make this mod by yourself? Cos it sure is good.

Ok, but that isn't to say that I haven't already found a bug. Some of the units and buildings don't have infopics, this is quite bad as it causes my game to crash.

I think you forgot to include BKB because the shaman graphics are definately his.

thanks for the praise . Glad you like it. Please feel free to test any faction you like. All feedback will be welcomed. I need the help because in answer to your other question i worked solo on the mod.
Hmm not sure why your missing buildings and units. I assume you deleted all the other startpos files as required by the installation if not it fails on infopics ? Ive been playtesting for days without a crash. I think this must be a problem of trying to reduce the mod for uploading. can you please pm me a list of those that have failed?? or maybe its a religion problem.

Yes your right the shaman is from BKB. the emissary, druid and bishop I did myself and the BKB was was good so i used it.

Silver Rusher
09-19-2004, 17:18
Well so far it has happened with the longboats and some buildings which I cannot remember.

oldnfaded
09-19-2004, 17:22
Well so far it has happened with the longboats and some buildings which I cannot remember.

yeap found the problem with keelboats already. Cant find any buildings though. I have PMD you with the solution. For anyone else its
an infopicerror has been reported already when playing the Saxons.
It can be solved like this

open campmap/infopics
you will see a file called keelboat
rename it keelboat.bif
that solves the infopic problem.

now goto loc/eng and open the file descriptions.txt
goto edit search
look for
["keelboat_desc"]

change the K to a capital K
ie
["Keelboat_desc"]

now save the file and all should be well.

oldnfaded

JR-
09-19-2004, 17:34
cheers, i'll d/l it asap.

oldnfaded
10-03-2004, 16:21
Hi folks
For those still interested in MTW I have just uploaded a patch for my Arthur mod. It corrects a couple pf errors and adds some new icons to improve the "dark age atmosphere" while playing (thanks to some files posted by suvorov) . I have also heavily modded the startpos to make certain factions more playable and to help the economics of the mod. You can find the patch at

http://www.totalwar.org/Downloads/Mtw_Uploads/MTWupload/

its called Arthur101patch. Simply unzip into the MTW main directory.

Feed back gratefully received.

Oldnfaded

Suleimen the Magnificent
10-04-2004, 14:15
If I install this mod with Fall of rome will I still be able to play fall of rome?

oldnfaded
10-04-2004, 15:06
If I install this mod with Fall of rome will I still be able to play fall of rome?

Hmmm to be honest, Im not really sure. In theory yes but I have heavily modified FoR so I don't really know. For sure the dead file won't work.. Sorry I can't be of more help.

Old N faded

tiofio
04-15-2005, 19:34
Why http://www.3ddownloads.com/strategy...tats/arthur.exe cannot be download?
Can u post again your mod cause it doesn't work now.

CYGNUS
04-21-2005, 18:43
tiofio

gOOD LUCK. As you can see, we are months behind. I am trying to get the Wars of the Roses MOD which was out a year ago....now the download link, like here, does not work.

You don't have the WOTR MOD by chance?

Spongly
08-05-2005, 10:46
Damn good mod, but I have encountered one problem - troops with ranged weapons just don't seem to ever be in range, yet I can't find what's causing this problem in order to change it...

axel
06-27-2006, 22:33
hi i downloaded this mod and instal it on my MTW the first one whase great the second patch did nt work it keeps craches back to windows cane somme one tell me how to install this:help:

naut
07-02-2006, 02:19
hi i downloaded this mod and instal it on my MTW the first one whase great the second patch did nt work it keeps craches back to windows cane somme one tell me how to install this:help:

I got the same prob

naut
07-02-2006, 03:07
axel, I fixed it.

Follow these steps:

1. Delete the files VIKINGS, EARLY, HIGH and LATE in the Campmap\startpos, folder.

2. This should leave only ARTHUR

3. Go to Textures\campmap, in that folder rename the folder "Vikings" so it becomes "Arthur".

Actually that worked to about 50%, it hangs then crashes after this!!! :help:

axel
07-04-2006, 12:03
hi mate so i dont work?? damn i hope somme one will post how to do it in the meen while if i find out how ill let you now mate

naut
07-04-2006, 15:04
I know whats wrong, as he made new regions. And in the startpos file sections of the border info, region declarance, etc. is wrong.

But I can't fix that because I don't know what he changed regarding the regions.

axel
07-04-2006, 22:01
hi mate i dont now how to fix it myself to, maybe somme one else cane help us.
i hope somme one will respond.
i really would like to play this mod it lookt great

axel
07-05-2006, 21:40
Hi mate its me again i think i found a other download of this mod, but i am not shure i whase looking frue the download section and found a mod cald: Arthur total war. exe its a mod from about 75.61 MB bigger then the other one.But i cant test it yet becose i am going on vacation mate so if you find it and trye it let me now please.
I found the mod on this side go to medieval and uploads and downloads on the firstpage of total war .org there you will find it.

axel
12-09-2007, 16:53
hi is there a complete version of this i cant find the 101 patch please respond

axel
12-15-2007, 18:28
Hi Rythmic
did you get this mod to work mate???? or sommebody ?

axel
12-15-2007, 22:23
hi cane somme one please tell me wot i have to do to play this mod??????
wot must i have to play???