PDA

View Full Version : things looking a bit strange

Blodrast
09-21-2004, 23:58
Hi,

Just thought I should probably report it. If you think a PM would have been better (instead of starting a new topic), please let me know and I'll do so in the future.

On my browser (Mozilla 1.0.1/linux), I'm noticing that several things on the board now show the link of an HTML image, instead of the image itself. This goes for some people's avatars (I just see a link that says "X's avatar", and it points to the user's cp), for smileys in the editing screen (i.e. where you actually write a post), and for the various helper images in the editing screen (e.g., indent, align, insert image/hyperlink, etc).
There are also weird indentation problems on some of the boards (can't find a pattern though, yet).

just letting you know.

TosaInu
09-23-2004, 18:11
Hello Blodrast,

Thanks for reporting: I haven't experienced these things yet. Only the weird layout in Opera. Weird that it doesn't show avatars. There isn't anything preventing them to display. Or? Did you change the firewall settings?

Blodrast
09-27-2004, 19:33
Nope, not at all.
And those things are still happening. Most smileys appear in the "Compose message" screen just as text, and lots of people have just a link called "X's avatar" instead of a pic.
There's also funny indentation in some of the forums, e.g. Colosseum. For instance, now I'm getting a "you have x posts in this thread" message in the leftmost row of threads, which makes the thread's line take up 3 or 4 regular lines (rows). It sounds nitpicking, but if I have 5 or 6 threads like that on one page, suddenly the number of threads displayed on one page is reduced to a few, and I have to keep scrolling and scrolling.
Again, don't mean to sound like I'm whining, I'm not. I can use the forums as they are, it's just a minor inconvenience, and if it can be fixed, that's great, if not, well, life still goes on ;)

thanks, Tosa

Blodrast
09-27-2004, 19:46
ok, I've tried to make some screenshots:

1st one shows the weird indentation of the posts in a forum (I mean, the "you have x posts" issue, which makes the thread take up 5 lines).
2nd one: huge empty space left after people's signatures; it occurs for too many people to believe that people actually create signatures with 1 line of text and 12 blank lines after (some may, by accident or ignorance, but not as many as I can see...)
3rd one: text smileys and such.

http://www.eecg.toronto.edu/~burceam/x/ss1.jpg

http://www.eecg.toronto.edu/~burceam/x/ss2.jpg

http://www.eecg.toronto.edu/~burceam/x/ss3.jpg

hope this helps a bit ;)

Admin
09-27-2004, 22:11
What a mess and no clue atm ~:(

Duke John
09-28-2004, 09:17
I am also using Mozilla but I now problems with images.

But when replying some tables are too large. But not something worse enough too spend time on.

TosaInu
09-29-2004, 21:52
Hello,

I reduced the number of click smileys today. Things are looking fine in Opera now. There's some trick I.E. can do with tables, which other browsers can't. Perhaps not I.E. as such, but code in the forum template for I.E. browsers.
We'll see whether it's something that can be fixed here.

Blodrast and Duke John, are the 'tables' showing correctly now?

Blodrast
09-30-2004, 00:21
Hi Tosa,

Yes, the tables fit in the screen now. That's great, thank you for your efforts.~:)

However, the smileys are just as bad, actually, worse: I've inserted some smileys in my posts and they didn't appear at all. Not sure why. They didn't appear as text, they just didn't appear. The one I specifically remember was ~:_cheers ...which I had the text for, in the table next to the compose screen, so I just clicked on it and it added the "~:_cheers" to my post, but when the post was displayed, there was nothing there...

Edit: cheers without the "_", of course... ~:cheers:
Edit2: I ended the previous phrase with another "~:_cheers". As you can see, it doesn't show up, although I do see it when I edit the text.

TosaInu
09-30-2004, 13:45
I didn't really fix anything yet, I dropped some smilies off the box. I don't know yet how to fix it for the non I.E. browsers.

I'm seeing the smiley. Maybe you turned display of images off (UserCP/Options). Maybe a setting in your browser?

~:cheers:

Blodrast
09-30-2004, 17:52
nope, I hadn't changed anything. But today I'm also seeing the smiley. But I solemnly swear that it wasn't there yesterday ;)

TosaInu
09-30-2004, 18:15
Software :)