PDA

View Full Version : The Wheel of Time - Total War (for Rome)

Pages : [1] 2 3

Myrddraal
09-22-2004, 16:43
http://82.68.81.226/david/Wot2.jpg

The Wheel of Time – Total War
A mod for Rome – Total War

Based on the series of fantasy books by Robert Jordan

The Wheel of Time turns and Ages come and go, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth returns again. In the Third Age, an Age of Prophecy, the World and Time themselves hang in the balance. What was, what will be, and what is, may yet fall under the Shadow.

As many of u might know, the Wheel of Time - Total War for Medieval, is fast approching beta testing. U might think that would be the end, but there are no beginnings or endings in the turning of the Wheel. As soon as possible, I intend to carry on this mod, but for Rome. I have been offered some potential help for this mod, and hopefully, I will not be alone from the beginning this time ~D

At these early stages, we don't know how moddable Rome will be, so for the moment, I'm just looking for a team. In the meatime, back to finishing of WoT for MTW. ~:wave:

Lazul
10-04-2004, 13:50
oh oh oh!!!... Woooot! :charge:

Im in! :bow:

Myrddraal
10-04-2004, 13:59
Great. I haven't really planned this out yet, (I haven't got the game... It should be arriving today) so I guess thats the first step.

I can do stuff like make new skins for the models, and seeing what Duke John has done with the roman archers, it shouldn't be to hard. I can also make a skin for the campmap, but I don't know how moddable this feature is.

I really want as much help as possible doing this. I don't have that much time on my hands, and I don't want to have to put in as much effort as I am for the MTW version. What can u do Lazul?

As for units and buildings, I have made up a unit list for the MTW version, so that shouldn't be too hard. I really can't do anything until I get Rome.

JR-
10-04-2004, 16:26
i'm delighted you are going to continue WoT:TW, but i still want a M:TW version for my laptop! :D

i like modelling architecture (particularly military) in 3D, so if i could help in this manner i will.

Penrhyn Castle for Night-blade UT2k4:
http://www.spandex.eclipse.co.uk/Penrhyn.jpg

University of Wales Aberystwyth map for Ravenshield:
http://www.spandex.eclipse.co.uk/UWA_08-17-2003_1.jpg
http://www.theplatoon.com/ravenshield/mod.asp?file=124

Myrddraal
10-05-2004, 08:30
Great. Thx. The problem with the MTW version is that DukeDick offered to help finish off the unit and build prod files. I sent them to him, but I've got no news since he told me he had got all the files. I haven't done any work on them, assuming he was...

The campmap graphics are virtually finished, I just need to finish the spine of the world. Also, I'm having trouble editing my lbm files for the lukup maps. When I save them (In PSP), it doesn't work. Can I send a copy of the lbm file so they can put it in a format which works?

JR-
10-05-2004, 08:36
i have got to admit that i don't have answers to those questions. :)

Myrddraal
10-05-2004, 09:00
It doesn't matter. Amazing pics by the way...

JR-
10-05-2004, 16:12
cheers, good luck.

Myrddraal
10-12-2004, 12:42
I've got the game now, but I haven't done any modding yet. I guess I would like to discuss ideas with some other people first. I was thinking about the thngs we could mod, and the first thing that came to mind is the ;hangers on’ who follow ur characters around. I don’t know how moddable they are, but if possible, here are a few I would like to add. Feel free to post ur own, or any other ideas u have conserning this mod…

Aes Sedai Advisor:
Although in many cases they would not like to admit it openly, many rulers and some lords have Aes Sedai Advisors. Tar Valon gains its influence in the world through these women, and diplomatic skills are common in most Aes Sedai, especially the Gray Ajah. But ordinary men and soldiers are often uneasy at having an Aes Sedai Advisor amonst them, and some soldiers believe they bring bad luck. This of course does not help moral, but there are usually no complaints from those the Aes Sedai can Heal when they have been given up for dead by any physician.

- Increases influence
- Increases diplomatic skill?
- Increases chances of healing wounded troops (like physician)
- Lower moral

Family Advisor (Secret Darkfriend)
This man has been in the family for many years and his long service has earned him a trusted position amongst your lords men. His advice is sound and he is considered to be the voice of wisdom in most matters. But he has secrets, secrets which none suspect. He serves another master, and should the need arise, he would aid any other darkfriend in assassinating his ‘lord’.

- Easier to assasinate

Aiel Scout
It is rare for an Aielman to cross the Dragonwall, let alone befriend a wetlander, but strangely this man has chosen to follow and stay with one. He rarely talks about his background, and none know his reasons for not returning to the Waste. He is respected, and even feared by most men, especially in his skills in camouflage and fast movement. He often scouts the way ahead, and has saved men’s lives by finding ambushes.

- Increased line of sight

Gleeman
- Better moral for troops

Illuminator
- Better happiness for cities he governs.

JR-
10-12-2004, 17:07
good ideas.

i think the strat map could be ace in this, but tone the colours down so it looks more like M:TW's parchment map rather than Crash Bandicoots console adventure.

troymclure
10-19-2004, 07:12
Heh i'd love to help with this mod, not terribly skilled with the computer stuff but i know the source material damn well. :)

Nice retinue members, how bout also

BladeMaster

A man with a heron-marked blade, a rare sight and a sure sign of a dangerous man. Blademasters are highly sought after for their prowess in battle and their skills in all things martial.

+1 valour to generals bodyguard
+1 command

Annoying Uncle

Think Cenn Buie from The Two Rivers.

-1 influence

Wise Woman

A village wise woman is the person a community turns to for it's problems, mostly for matters of the body. Healing and herbal remedies but also often for advice and problems of the mind.

+1 influence
Increase chances of healing wounded troops (but have it less effective than aes sedai)

I could think of more there's tons of side characters in the series that would be easily converted to retinue members. When where you planning on setting the mod? modern day randland?
ps:- I was thinking you could possibly even have a limited aes sedai precense on the battlefield, they would basically replace the seige weapons, you could even give them the onager's attack and it would't be the most horrible representaion, just make it more accurate and less amo (the caster gets tired).

Myrddraal
10-30-2004, 13:48
K, I just got back from holiday, and I hope to start modding fairly soon, but I see reasearch has shot ahead whilst I was gone, I still have very limited knowledge of modding Rome, could someone post me some links to the basic guides (if there are any).

As for Aes Sedai, The problem is the three oaths. They can't use the power as a weapon exept against shadowspawn... Still, I will try to make them, if only for custom battles.

troymclure
10-30-2004, 17:00
good point about the three oaths fade. Guess i just got a bit excited about the idea of controlling aes sedai on the battlefield :).
Like i said more than willing to help out on this one but before i sit down and start to write some stuff down i was wondering just when and who this mod was going to include. I mean obviously you can include all the major nations from WOT in the game but what about shadowspawn? Are there going to be any? Are the aiel going to be one faction or split up into various clans? Borderlands as well? Also what about timing, if you set it just before the books start you could include timed "events" that happen when they do in the books. eg. A seanchan invasion similar to the golden horde invasion from MTW? Let me know if there's anything specific you want done for this in the meantime i'll just happily daydream about taking over the map of randland with my hordes of aeil. :)

ps:- I was thinking you could possible have the trollic clans as the new "romans" so to speak. Have the Dark One act as the senate and have three(or more) trolloc clans based in the blight instead of roman factions. This would ensure that the blight doesn't get overrun too quickly by some ambitiuos borderlords. It would also make sense because now instead of taking "rome" to win the game you now have to take Shayol Gul. Which would be very cool IMO. it would also probably be a good idea to assign trollocs the "horde" formation in the unit decription texts. Each trolloc band would have a fade as it's captain unit.

ps:- I'm fairly certain you can edit retinue members though i'm not actually sure how it's done, i've no real experience modding the TW series unfortuantely i do mess around with my own game a little and i do understand how the unit_descriptions file and building_descriptions file works, i've modded the units in my own game and given certain factions units they couldn't previously build, so i'm quite happy to help with that side o' things just unfortuanate my 3d studio/photoshop skills are fairly non-existant.

Myrddraal
10-31-2004, 21:30
I've got answers to most of ur questions troy, but I'm in a hurry so I'll answer tommorow. Just to say, I made Aes Sedai anyway, for the romans in custom battle. Great fun to use. I'll upload some pics and also the files to make it work as soon as pos.

Myrddraal
11-01-2004, 10:52
Basically I hope to include all of the map u see in the books, plus a little bit of the aiel waste, and maybe some more sea folk islands.
I'm not sure about the time setting. We'll see whats possible.
There will definately be shadowspawn and I like the idea about taking shayol ghul to win the game, but I'm not sure about the trolloc clans, its an idea to consider though.

I'm having problems uploading the pics, but I'm still enjoying playing with aes sedai. You should see what a unit of 10 aes sedai can do to an army...

JR-
11-01-2004, 12:20
sounds good.

does the flexibility of events now allow for the inclusion to Seanchan and Aiel incursions?

and how does R:TW's new cultural setup help/hinder the faction decisions?

Myrddraal
11-01-2004, 15:35
Here are the pics. Aes Sedai:

http://82.68.81.226/david/WoT%20for%20Rome/Aes%20Sedai%20attack%202.JPG

http://82.68.81.226/david/WoT%20for%20Rome/Aes%20Sedai%20attack%203.JPG

http://82.68.81.226/david/WoT%20for%20Rome/Aes%20Sedai%20attack%204.JPG

http://82.68.81.226/david/WoT%20for%20Rome/Aes%20Sedai%20attack%205.JPG

http://82.68.81.226/david/WoT%20for%20Rome/Aes%20Sedai%20attack%206.JPG

http://82.68.81.226/david/WoT%20for%20Rome/Aes%20Sedai%20attack%207.JPG

Just look at the kills!
http://82.68.81.226/david/WoT%20for%20Rome/Aes%20Sedai%20attack%208.JPG

Aes Sedai.zip (http://82.68.81.226/david/WoT%20for%20Rome/Aes%20Sedai.zip)
To install the Aes Sedai (for a blank install), just download this zip, unzip it, and copy the data folder into your base directory.

If any other modders want to use this, it was really quite simple, so you can probably do it yourself, but if you use mine, please tell me. Thx...

dj jones
11-01-2004, 21:59
looks great!

metatron
11-01-2004, 22:42
Interesting.

DeadRunner
11-02-2004, 01:28
Cool
very nice

JR-
11-02-2004, 09:40
fantastic stuff!

dessa14
11-02-2004, 09:49
no offence but they look a touch overpowered, if they can wipe out an entire phalanx.
thanks,
dessa

troymclure
11-02-2004, 10:15
hay nice work myrdraal! finally one power wealing goodness for my rome armies, thanks man defintately made my week. :)

ps:- wouldn't say they are overpowered dessa14, it depends really on just who (and what) level the aes sedai are, couple of accepted and yeah that phalanx kill is over the top. But say it's a couple of green ajah fresh from the trolloc wars and it's a different story.
I know it makes it's different cause it's a game but just treat tem like super seige engines that must be killed before anyone else, not too unrealistic that.

Myrddraal
11-02-2004, 11:32
I know what you mean dessa, but they won't be in the actual game, (three oaths) They're just a bit of fun

O yeah and that phalanx they wipe out was already on 1/2 strenght and I had a lucky shot where 2 hit at once. It was good to watch.

JR-
11-02-2004, 14:54
could you have aes-sedai appear on the battlefield as an automatic ally when fighting against the shadow?

have created working aes-sedai it would be a terrible shame not to use them.

how is the socio-political breakdown of nations playing out? are you able to capture the essence of the alliances and emnities as well as was possible with M:TW?

Myrddraal
11-02-2004, 15:53
how is the socio-political breakdown of nations playing out? are you able to capture the essence of the alliances and emnities as well as was possible with M:TW?

Thats a bit of a complicated question, seeing as I have only just started making the provinces for the campaign map, I can't really answer it. Remember, I only just got back from holiday. ;)

JR-
11-02-2004, 17:29
no problem :book: first question/suggestion?

Lord Shand
11-03-2004, 11:22
Why not forget about the Aes Sedai for battles, as i dont think there's a way to only make them fight against the shadowspawn - but include the Ashaman(is that right spellin been a while since i read the book), they have no qualm with fighting any enemy of Rand, from what i remember

And dont forget the chained chicks that the seanchan have! oh how cool is that u can maek them leashed to handlers in RTW! :charge:

:duel:

Cant wait to see this mod off the ground - if u need any help send me an email or PM im more than happy to help out wherever i can. ~:cheers:

OMG another great idea - if u ever include Aes Sedai in battles - give them a handler - but give the handler model a warrior model and this can be their warder!

Sinner
11-03-2004, 11:29
Myrddraal, as an idea for the Aes Sedai, why not give them a fairly hefty shield stat to represent their ability to weave Air to block attacks that they're aware of? They'd still be vulnerable from the rear and flanks of course, allowing the Whitecloak tactic of an arrow from the shadows. ~:)

I also thought of an idea to incorporate Warders by making them officers, allowing you up to 3 per unit. You'd perhaps have to reduce the Aes Sedai numbers to 3 as well unless it's just assumed some don't have Warders, plus I'm not 100% sure what stats officers use when fighting, since ideally you'd want Warders to be very good.

LOL - just spotted Shand's post, pipped me by a couple of minutes. ~:)

Lord Shand
11-03-2004, 11:37
Myrddraal, as an idea for the Aes Sedai, why not give them a fairly hefty shield stat to represent their ability to weave Air to block attacks that they're aware of? They'd still be vulnerable from the rear and flanks of course, allowing the Whitecloak tactic of an arrow from the shadows. ~:)

I also thought of an idea to incorporate Warders by making them officers, allowing you up to 3 per unit. You'd perhaps have to reduce the Aes Sedai numbers to 3 as well unless it's just assumed some don't have Warders, plus I'm not 100% sure what stats officers use when fighting, since ideally you'd want Warders to be very good.

LOL - just spotted Shand's post, pipped me by a couple of minutes. ~:)

I think officers use the same stats as the unit they're apart of? Well thats what i assume as theres no seperate area to put in the officers details - i think

Oh also - I was muckin around the other night and reskinned the Arcani to make Myrdraals - not very hard - just change the skin to white and remove all the facial features - next move would just be to add in the causes fear to just about every unit except warders(if theyre gonna be a unit, they prolly will have to be to balance off the fade's strength) - it looked pretty cool - all black with the hood and the sightless stear ~:cheers:

Myrddraal
11-03-2004, 13:28
I think officers use the same stats as the unit they're apart of? Well thats what i assume as theres no seperate area to put in the officers details - i think
Thats Why I hesitated. Do the officers in missile units fire. If so then you would have Warders lobing fireballs around...

As for handlers, I'm not sure if animals can fire weapons. I think you would have to make the Aes Sedai the Handlers, and the Warders the Animals, if you get what I mean.

About the Myrddraal. I think that in this game, units do not cause fear in specific units. You make them cause fear in cavalry or infantry or both. To make the Myrddraal cause fear in everyone, just make them cause fear to both.

Update about the campmap:
I'm stuck. I made a few provinces on the West Coast, and made the rest of the World one huge province called Test_1. I got rid of all the factions exept the four roman factions. At first I got an error where it went back to the Provincial Campaign menu. That was an error in the name text files. I corrected that, and now the game crashes when I decide to load the campmap. Does one of the provinces need to be called Rome because this might be causing the problem. If there is anyone who knows a lot about the campmap files, could I send you what I have done, see if you can find the error?

Sinner
11-03-2004, 15:13
Regarding officers, they don't fire missiles in missile units, so there would be no worry there. As for their abilities, my suspicion is that they just use the secondary attack of the unit they command, with all other stats the same as well. If so, then to make Warders as tough as they are in the books, Aes Sedai themselves would have to be powerful in melee; there is a case for that, given the potential lethality of their magic, as well as its protective and healing capability.

CenturionKillerzone
11-04-2004, 00:49
Hi guys,

As a fan of Total War series and Wheel of Time i'd be interested in playing this mod. I think somehow though you'd have to pick one of the novels in the middle like Dragon Reborn to form starting conditions.

A good Myrhdraal unit would be spartans in black robes.

WOT should be picked up by a game developer for this IMO.

dessa14
11-04-2004, 07:02
yes you do need a rome, as well as a senate.
thanks,
dessa

Myrddraal
11-04-2004, 09:32
Ok I now have a Rome and a Senate (I had one before), and I also found a couple of errors in the map_regions file. Now when I load the campaign, it goes back to the provinsial campaign menu. When I quit, I get an error that says there was an error at line 72 column... of the desc_strat.txt file. It says: Cannot create settlement at line 72. This seems to make sense as this is the file where all the settlements are set up, but I can't find the error. I've tried going to line 72, but thats in the middle of a settlement, and there's no error there. Is there any way I can find the error?

Thedevil003
11-04-2004, 13:08
Ok I now have a Rome and a Senate (I had one before), and I also found a couple of errors in the map_regions file. Now when I load the campaign, it goes back to the provinsial campaign menu. When I quit, I get an error that says there was an error at line 72 column... of the desc_strat.txt file. It says: Cannot create settlement at line 72. This seems to make sense as this is the file where all the settlements are set up, but I can't find the error. I've tried going to line 72, but thats in the middle of a settlement, and there's no error there. Is there any way I can find the error?
You have higher tech building than your city can support (urban barrak in a village)

Myrddraal
11-04-2004, 13:27
I'll check that out, thx.

Myrddraal
11-04-2004, 17:21
Nope, thats not it, but I did find another problem (I had called a province Rome not Latium) but I still get the same message. It must be another problem causing the error.

At least I know what file its in...

Sinner
11-04-2004, 17:48
Myrddral, I'm maybe stating the obvious, but when trying to identify the problem line from the error message you were give, ie. line 72, did you discount any commented lines?

My guess is that the error will be a format issue, ie. a missing curly bracket or a misspelled label.

Try commenting out all the buildings, to help zero in on the fault. If it runs OK as an empty city, add each building back in one at a time until you get the error again. It's slow, but it works.

Another possibility, did you include the settlement within a faction, in this case the Senate since I assume that they're a mandatory faction for the game.

Myrddraal
11-05-2004, 09:18
Try commenting out all the buildings, to help zero in on the fault. If it runs OK as an empty city, add each building back in one at a time until you get the error again. It's slow, but it works.
I did that, I also reduced every city to a villiage and changed the population appropriately.

I also tried counting the lines. But it also gave a value for the column, I think it loads it as a kind of table maybe? I'll try again though.

dessa14
11-05-2004, 09:23
has rome got the right number id.
thanks,
dessa

Myrddraal
11-05-2004, 14:00
What do u mean number id

Myrddraal
11-07-2004, 15:53
I have reduced it to its most basic form. There are now three provinces: Tremalking, owned by the Julii, Latium, owned by the Senate, and the rest of the world as one province called test_1 owned by rebels.

None of the provinces have ports (This was causing an error for some reason).

The game begins to load, gets to the end of the loading bar and CTD without an error message. Does anyone, know which files can cause this type of error?

Myrddraal
11-08-2004, 09:19
I found a big error, in map_heights.tga, the sea colour was wrong. When I correct it, it CTDs when I click to start the campaign and does not generate a map file.

Lazul
11-09-2004, 11:02
Was thinking, when it comes to military tradition and tactics in "Randland" you get the impression in the books that most of the "randlands" armies are made up by mostly cavalry. And with the RTW engine I think this could be reflected kinda well.
As far as I know its first Rand that introduce the more organized infantry with help of Mat.

So in what way will this reflected?

Myrddraal
11-09-2004, 17:28
I guess there will just be more mounted troops, but you have to remember that often in the Wheel of Time, a large part of armies are be mounted, but often dismount. In this, I don't think there is the option dimount before battle, so there will have to be units like Queens Guards and Dismounted Queens Guards as seperate units.

Not all armies are mounted, in Cairhien, what we see of the armies there, there seems to be a lot of pikemen as well.

Myrddraal
11-15-2004, 10:34
I've been doing some work on units, to make a change from the depressing string of failures I've had trying to make the campmap.

I decided to do some work on some Aiel Warriors. At the moment, these are the best pictures I've found of Aiel warriors:

http://mayo.gamepoint.net/aiel/gaul.jpeg
http://www.dragonmount.com/WoT_Products/Images/RPG_Aiel_lg.jpg

I’ll upload the screens of the aiel in game as soon as I sort out one problem.

I’m using PSP8 and the DSS plugin.

When I save the file, all transparency changes to white background. At first I though this was Ok, I thought the white would change to transparent, but no, the shields, which are meant to be round, have a white square around them. How can I correct this? :dizzy2:

Anyway, I would now like you opinions on the Aiel. The different units will obviously be the different warrior societies. Here’s some ideas I had (some of them are from the book, some of them aren’t, if anyone has any other ideas/ corrections please tell me).

All Aiel warriors: can hide anywhere, very hardy, good moral, horde formation (unless I say otherwise)

Maidens of the Spear: very fast, light armour (hide buckler), short horn bows and spears. (To represent that maidens are often used as scouts)

Red shields: fast, better armour (larger red shield), spears. (Red shields often act as police)

Stone dogs: amazing moral (so that they never retreat), normal armour (hide buckler), better defence skill, spears (Stone dogs take a vow never to retreat)

Thunder walkers: Fast, normal armour (hide buckler), 3 heavy throwing spears, better attack. (Don’t know what they do in the books, so I though I make them hit hard and run)

Black eyes = Square formation, slower, much better armour (large square shield) spears. (Again, I don’t know what they do in the books, so I though I’d make them have a shield wall)

I have another surprise coming in terms of units, but that’s a surprise. ~;)

Sephriel
11-15-2004, 14:42
hi myrddraal,
its very cool to have someone to make an whot mod, since i am a big fan of the books. if you ever need any help (concept or such stuff best, cause i cant do anything other...), say it, ill run...

to the aiel units: i'd rather use the water searchers (dunno the unit's correct names in english, reading it in german...) as scouts. one war-community could be a unit using bows.

will there be ogiers in the mod?

how will u use the senate?

what with the hailene?

Sephriel

Myrddraal
11-15-2004, 15:05
Sure about the water-seekers. I'm just throwing up ideas.

I don't think there will be ogier. Apart from maybe an ancilliary (sp?) might be oigier companion. They are too peacefull, and their stedding are too small.

As for the senate, someone had the excellent idea of making the dark one the senate, then making there be 3 trolloc clans as the romans. This would be good because then the objective for the trolloc clans would be to become Naeblis (sp?), and for everyone else, to destroy the shadow and take shayol ghul.

I'm not sure about the hailene and the Seanchan. Maybe they could start with a sea folk island, but with no money and no troops and at a certain point a script gives them loads of men. I'm trying to think of a way of including them.

If you want to help, anything you can think of. If you want to write and army list, or just a few units or even help with the modding, feel free. :)

@Lord Shand, you couldn't post those Myrddraal you did, I know it wouldn't take long to do it myself, but to be honest, I can be bothered ~;)

PS, for all those just reading this post, please see my prob in my previous post.

Sephriel
11-15-2004, 15:33
ok,
when will the mod takes place in? before or after rand beeing claimed as dragon reborn?

what have you done already?

if theres a seanchan faction, they should have a ogier elite unit, like the daughter of the nine moons does have.

Myrddraal
11-15-2004, 15:42
I don't know really. It depends whats possible. It would be nice to make two campaigns:

One pre-rand era, beginning about 200 years before the fall of Malkier, and going all the way to the beginning of the Aiel War.

And one much shorter Rand-Era campaign. A 'what could have happened' campaign including the Seanchan Invasion, the black tower and Forsaken leading the shadow.

What I've done so far is some work on the campaign map, (Though I still get an error which I am trying to fix. Aes Sedai (see the first page of this thread to download them) and Aiel Warriors (see my problem above).

Good point about the Ogier.

As you can see its still in its early stages, so any help I can get is great.

Sephriel
11-15-2004, 16:10
yes, 2 campaigns would be very nice.

but what factions would a early campaign have? the kingdoms have not been them same as at rand's time.
how many factions can u use at all?

suggestion for the rand campaign's faction:

Amadicia/White Cloaks
Seanchan in Altara
Tar Valon
Salidar
Ghealdan
Murandy
The Borderlands

The Good ones
- The Dragon Reborn as senate (in Illian)
- Aiel
- Tear
- Andor & Cairhien under Elayne
- Perrin in the two Rivers
- The Horde of the red Hand starting only with an Army or with some regoins somewhere in Altara near Salidar
- Th Asha'man & the Dragon's Legion

The Shadow
- Shaido in northern cairhien
- Trollocs or some Chosen in the ... whats the name for the land around shayol ghul in english?
- Shadar Logoth

The rest of the map ( Arad Doman and Tarabon) should be rebels to show the chaos going on at the moment (the whole dragon sworn croud). perhaps should even be Ghealdan and Murandy in chaos.

that is my suggestion...

Myrddraal
11-15-2004, 17:30
but what factions would a early campaign have? the kingdoms have not been them same as at rand's time.
how many factions can u use at all?

If you think there would be a shortage of factions then think again. Remember that when I said before Rands Time, I did not mean before the tolloc wars, I did not mean Manetheren etc. Remember that Lan was born just before the fall of Malkier. How old can he be? About 50 at most... 200 years before the fall of Malkier means that all the nations like Almoth and Caralain have vanished for about 300 years. Here are the nations as they would be in the early period:

Borderlands:
Malkier
Saldea
Kandor
Arafell
Saldea

'Middle' Nations
Arad Doman
Andor
Cairhien
Tarabon
Ghealdan

Southern Nations:

Amadicia
Altara
Illian
Tear
Mayene

Other Nations:

The Sea Folk
Tar Valon
The Aiel
The Shadow
- The Dark One (Senate)
- Dha'vol Clan
- Kno'mon Clan
- Ahf'frait Clan

As for Rand-Era, in my oppinion, the more factions the better. Rand would start off with Tear and the Aiel Waste and the Seanchan would start off with the Sea Folk Islands they capture at the beginning of book 4. At the beginning, Rand would not be able to train Ashaman, but once he takes Andor, he would then be able to set up the Black Tower.

I think the Band of the Red hand should be a type of unit recruitable only to Rand.

What do you think?

PS. The land directly around Shayol Ghul is called the Blasted Lands, and the whole of the Dark Ones land is called the Blight, and the 'Horde of the Red Hand' is called the 'Band of the Red Hand'

Sephriel
11-15-2004, 17:54
what i think? it would be cool to have this many factions, but isnt there a limit?

and... phew... that'll be a lot of units to create and model...

shakespeare_101
11-15-2004, 18:11
Awesome Idea! ~d

JR-
11-15-2004, 21:26
i would prefer one single campaign. just have the Rand Era as the final era.

Myrddraal
11-16-2004, 09:22
But how?

How have tear suddenly declare for the Dragon and loads of Aiel appear in the City?
How have Cairhien go into Civil War?
How have the Seanchan appear?

It might be possible, using the same kinds of scripts used in the prologue, but right now I have no idea how to work that...

Myrddraal
11-16-2004, 11:44
and... phew... that'll be a lot of units to create and model...

Thats why I want all the help I can get. :)

If someone wants to really help out with this mod, I need someone to help me sort out my problem with the campaign map. If I could send it to someone then maybe they could have a look through the files?

Sephriel
11-16-2004, 17:18
*g*
have never looked into such files...
but if u want me to, i can look if i find something...

Myrddraal
11-16-2004, 20:34
Do you mean the prologue script or the campaign map files?

Sephriel
11-16-2004, 20:52
both ^^

Myrddraal
11-17-2004, 23:00
I'd love someone else to go over the files. The error is probably obvious, but I can't see it.

Just a hint, I'm gonna be posting some screens tomorow, you should like it ;)

NaeBlis
11-17-2004, 23:05
Hi, if u need any help in the modding side (modelling or file-related), i would be happy to help.

I tried to set up a thread on A Song of Ice and Fire at stratcommander, but that didn't meet with much enthusiasm, so i'm glad that atleast WoT didn't turn out like that...

But if u need any help with the modelling or editing file side, i would be happy to help.

Myrddraal
11-18-2004, 16:19
Here is the surprise, many thanks to Hoggy for the trolloc model. I decided to make a little comic to represent it. Its just a joke, don't take it too seriously... PS. You'll notice I still can't get transparency in PSP to work, hence the black squares around the Aiel shields.

http://82.68.81.226/david/TrollocsVsAiel2.jpg

@NaeBlis I'd love any help, what can u do?

Sephriel
11-18-2004, 18:17
wow,
great, myrddraal! good work.

to the thing of the campmap: i can look, if i find the error(4 eyes are better then 2 ;) )

JR-
11-18-2004, 19:08
fantastic stuff Myrddal.

Myrddraal
11-18-2004, 23:22
All credit goes to Hoggy, I can't stress that enough.
@ Sephriel, can u PM me with ur e-mail address to send u the files.

Thedevil003
11-19-2004, 00:47
You may want to fix the alpha on those sheilds...

NaeBlis
11-19-2004, 05:28
Hey!

I can help out with the modelling - I CAN model, albeit a bit slowly. I can also help out with the text files/data files for RTW. Or the Campaign Map. Once I learn (or CA releases an editor) how to load a custom map into the game for the battles, i could help with those as well.

Myrddraal
11-19-2004, 19:12
Great! I guess that makes you an official member. PM me with ur email and I'll send you the files. One of the first things you can do is sort out the transparency for those aiel.

NaeBlis
11-19-2004, 21:48
Thanks!

Myrddraal
11-20-2004, 21:06
Sephriel, should I coun't u in too?

Sephriel
11-21-2004, 18:24
sure,
i'll do whatever i can ~;)

soibean
11-21-2004, 23:42
Ive thought of an idea for including aes sedai into this game, although not controlled immediately by the player and if some one already mentioned it then I apologize.
Would it be possible to have the aes sedai pop up around the map as rebel armies that are allied with the good factions of this mod. They move around for a few turns and if you're attacked by shadow friends and that group then they'll be your ally in battle, but afterwards they'll continue onward and eventually disappear. But if it isnt a darkfriend you're facing then they arent included in the battle...
I hope thats clear and I hope thats possible because if so that would be sweet

Myrddraal
11-22-2004, 19:03
Hm, if you made Tar Valon allied to all except the shadow and the whitecloaks, with military access, then maybe it might be possible. I'll have to try including that in the game.

NaeBlis
11-23-2004, 05:14
Should i have recieved the files by now?

Lukin
11-23-2004, 09:06
well... this thread is the reason i have signed up to this forum. im a pretty big fan of WoT and im reading it for the second time atm heheh.

ive read every reply on this thread and i think its some damn good work thats happening here. id like to help out as much as i can.. but at the moment i dont have access to a computer for long enough periods to do any of the actual modding :( so ill just share my opinions, thoughts and ideas.

One of my first thoughts was that maybe we should include the land of the seanchan, aeil and even shara (although there is virtually 0 info on shara). i remembered having seen a "world" map of the lands before. so i tried looking again... but when i found the map i was looking for.... i realised maybe its not such a good idea.
http://www.olmer.ru/jordan/map/world.jpg
i forgot how damn big seanchan is compared to the rest of the world... not to mention the massive body of water seperating them.... so scrap that idea.

I was then thinking on Aes Sedai and how they should be included in the game... because they really should be. and i came up with this:
The only aes sedai that fight are the Green Ajah (they are the battle ajah after all)
Aes Sedai come in units of one. with 3 warders (another reason for Green).
They are very expensive. including upkeep (they like to live like queens, so they cost a bucket load)
leave the three oaths behind. otherwise aes sedia are no fun :D

Im not too sure how you could do the warder deal.. but maybe make the Aes Sedai the general of that unit with three warder soldiers. Im not really sure on how that stuff works. but thats my idea.

I think trying to link events in from the book will not work and may ruin the game play a bit... but the seanchan should still be included. they should start on some small little islands off to the corner of the map below the Athan mire.

And Damane neeeeed to be in it... hehehe they are wickid. They should outdo Aes Sedai for strength and Attack but have really poor defence (they seem to be focussed more on attack in the books) and also poor moral, they are prisoners after all. Maybe only groups of two damane with their sul'dam.

and if the seanchan is included i think they should have their grolm and other creatures (cant rmember names right now) I know this is a lot of modding... but i guess it adds to the effect of the game.

Another thing i was thinking of is the number of cities in each faction. because if you look in the maps in the books there are not really very many cities to include.
But this site
http://encyclopaedia-wot.org:8008/geography/index.html
has a list of all reigons and all the cities that have been mentioned to be in those regions. im sure we could also make up some villages and stuff to go into the reigons too.

I was also thinking about the huge empty space north of Camelyn and Carhein to the border lands. should that simply be empty? or should there be rebel villages there? because im pretty sure there are small villages in those areas. its just that they have no ruler.

anyways... this has to be one of my longest posts anywhere ever. i'll try to check back as often as a i can.
this mod is gunna be pretty sweet.

Myrddraal
11-23-2004, 23:23
Should i have recieved the files by now?

I haven't had access to a comp for enough time to upload. Sorry about this. I'll probably be able to send them on thursday at the earliest.

I managed to fix the prob with the strat file. It was actually a mistake in the RGB value of provinces.

But there is now another error. If I try to include any sea, it CTD with no error message when I click to start and doesn't generate a map.rmw file, and if I make the whole world land, it starts loading, gets to the end of the loading bar, then CTD's and does generate a map.rwm. Back to step one.... :(

@ Lukin, good post. I was thinking of including the Western end of the Aiel waste, more Sea Folk Islands to the south, and in the Rand era campaign, the Seanchan would own an island called Cantorin which they retreat to after falme.

I found this info on a good site WoT mod (http://www.wheeloftimemod.com/DesignSpecs/Geography/Regions.htm) because ur link wasn't working for some reason.

Cantorin
Occupied by the Seanchan (since Falme)

the mainland is hundreds of miles to the east of Cantorin. (IV: 50)
Cantorin Harbour is in the shape of a wide, lop-sided bowl. (IV: 44)
beyond the seawall is an inner harbor filled with Sea Folk ships. (IV: 44)
there's a mudflat near the harbor mouth. (IV: 44)
the island is governed by a Sea Folk Governor, who lives in a grand palace. (IV: 45)
the palace has a colonnaded terrace. (IV: 44)
pale wood panels in palace. (IV: 45)
the palace floor is inlaid with a pattern of light and dark woods. (IV: 46)
Cantorin is part of Aile Somera? Dantora part of Aile Jafar? (IV: 641)
the deepest part of the known sea is near Aile Somera. (IV: 921)

Myrddraal
11-23-2004, 23:41
Some more ideas I had. I think that this map should be much bigger than the existing map, and much more zoomed in. So Ghealdan would be like the size of italy. I think it would be good to have a bit more open space between cities. Of course armies would be able to move further to compensate for this.

If we could change the number of turns in one year that would be awsome. For example, have four seasons to a year instead of two.

I was thinking of a possible way of doing this. I was looking around the prologue_script.txt file, and I noticed that you can enter cheats. They use the line console_command, and then enter the cheat code.

For example, they make sure you don't lose ur character by making him invulnerable:

console_command invulnerable_general "Gaius Julius"

If we could somehow make this type of script work for other campaigns, then you could write out a very long script which would do this:

Turn one: do nothing (spring)
Turn two: change the season back to summer (summer)
Turn three: change the season back to summer (autumn or fall for the americans~;))
Turn four: do nothing. (winter, the date would then automatically advance by one at the end of this turn)

It would do this in cycle for the whole game period, and there you go, four turns to a year.

Now I don't know if it would work, but its an idea worth looking into.

Also, travelling units. Maybe units like Ashaman should have really really long movement to represent they can travel, they wouldn't be able to travel in battle.

What do u think?

Lukin
11-24-2004, 04:15
damn... that site that i posted seems to be a bit shifty... i can visit it perfectly at home... but then at school it doesn't work. ill try to mirror it later. but that site you posted is pretty good too. its just that the site that i posted uses references from the book so you can get a better idea of its location.

i think that ashaman would be incredible but also virtually invincible... so they could ruin the game. and then it also involves timelining events and creating characters such as Rand and Mat and Perrin and probly lots of others which would limit the freedom of the game imensely. Maybe just create the westlands just prior to the book events and dont bother including any of the actual story (except the seanchan have to be in it ofcourse)

The seanchan should explode with force, they shouldn't be able to be conquerored easily and should conqueror land pretty easily. and i like the idea of them starting on cantorin.

another question.... what civ does the player start as? and if they can choose anything they should be able to be the trollocs too. :D

cheers

NaeBlis
11-24-2004, 06:13
Hey Myrddraal,

is anyone working on the map. If not, then u want me to make one (i can alwasy try ~;) ).

Myrddraal
11-24-2004, 22:01
I am currently working on the map, but I've got an error I can't find. Those are the files I wanted u to look through, see if you could find the error.

The error is that if I include any sea, the game CTDs when I click start campaign, and if I don't include sea and make the entire world land, it gets to the end of the loading bar then CTDs.

If I include sea it doesn't generate a map.rmw, but if I don't it does, dispite the fact that it CTDs.

I already said this in my post before last.

@Lukin, I think the player should be able to choose, should be able to be anyone except the Dark One (though they could play as any of the trolloc clans). You could even choose to be Mayene or the Sea Folk.

NaeBlis
11-25-2004, 05:01
have u made sure that the cities don't end up on mountains, or the sea. They could be the cause. could u send me the map files, and ill see if i can figure it out.

Myrddraal
11-25-2004, 11:35
Ok, I should have sen't them by tonight. What do u think of the other stuff, i.e. the size of the map etc.

JR-
11-25-2004, 21:06
i like the idea of the seanchan having Cantorin, and the Aiel havinbg the western edge of the waste.

i slao like the idea of Tar-Valon treating everyone but the shadow and Amadicia as a protectorate.

NaeBlis
11-28-2004, 01:01
well...i tried to create a demo map with just land and three regions. not successful - it just resulted in a CTD without an error message (i was using the show_err command).

Myrddraal
11-28-2004, 15:21
Did u delete the map.rmw?

When did the CTD happen, when you clicked to start, or after the loading bar?

I'm working right from the beginning now, and I think its beginning to work. I'll check it out, and if it does I'll send you the files.

NaeBlis
11-29-2004, 03:32
i deleted the map.rwm file. And this is when i click on the start button (i.e. just before the loading bar appears/at the point it appears)

NaeBlis
11-29-2004, 06:17
Okay. I tried it again, and it gave me an error - "cannot find region [region name] in stringtable" or something like that. I tried once again, and then it just CTDed again.

I modified the text file in the Data/text folder, and renamed it to suit the folder, but it isn't working...

NaeBlis
11-29-2004, 07:37
sorry for the repeat post...can't seem to find an "edit" button.

Anyway, it seems that i get the error when the file "map.rwm" doesn't exist. If it does exist, it just crashes.

Hope someone can help.

Myrddraal
11-29-2004, 09:23
Damn, I forgot a file.

I forgot to send you the file that goes in the data\text folder. I'll send it to you today hopefully, or you can make your own, just copy the imperial one, and insert all the WoT strings.

Sorry about that.

Myrddraal
11-29-2004, 15:42
Visit the website! Under construction:

WoT - TW website (http://82.68.81.226/david/WoT%20for%20Rome/)

FifthRider
11-30-2004, 07:15
I had an idea for using the aes sedai more on the strategic map, i am not sure if any has brought it up yet or whether it is even possible.
Perhaps instead of using the diplomat models on the strategic map you could change them to aes sedai and have them perform the roles that the diplomats did before. Of course they have to be Gray Ajah ;)

Thedevil003
11-30-2004, 13:13
I'll gladly fix the alpha for you if you haven't yet...

Myrddraal
11-30-2004, 14:16
Yes please! I just can't get it to work in PSP, it always merges the image to a background layer, then saves it without transparency, whatever alpha settings I use. I'll send u the texture file if u pm me ur email, do you want the stats and other stuff for the aiel, as a token of thanks?

NaeBlis
11-30-2004, 19:21
anything i need to do? school's just finished, so now i'm completely free.

[Sion] Grudgebringer
12-01-2004, 14:50
Looking good, all the best with this mod! ~:cheers:

Myrddraal
12-01-2004, 23:18
Nae Blis, you can do anything you like. I had some unit lists set up for the medieval version of this mod (never released) but they're good, do you want me to send them to you, you could start on them. Or you can carry on work on the campmap, its up to you.

I'm still working on the campmap. I just sent an updated set of files to Sephriel, do you want them too?

CrownOfSwords
12-02-2004, 00:05
Great work myrddraal, im the guy who posted about making this mod in the first place long long ago trying to get support until I gave up, and you had the idea for asha'man throwing fireballs etc (just trying to get you to remember who I am).

But to the point ive just read through the books for probably about the 20th time, I'd like to give my help for the armylists and unit descriptions along with any other ideas. My email is north_shoredude@hotmail.com/msn messenger my aim is Surfinkauai.

NaeBlis
12-02-2004, 02:10
can u please send me the units list - i tried (unsuccesfully) to design a map for RTW, so i'll stick with unit design.

Thanks

Naeblis

NaeBlis
12-02-2004, 02:15
BTW, apparently u need atleast 50 regions (as the win condition in game is control 50 settlements and rome - and Rome is counted as a settlement, so unless the game's objectives can be changed, there'll have to be a min of 50 regions)

NaeBlis
12-02-2004, 02:20
Well, i guess u could always delete all victory conditions to remove them (which is what is done in the Sons of Mars campaign).

P.S. Could someone please tell me if there is an edit button, i can't find one.

CrownOfSwords
12-02-2004, 03:36
Alright just spent the last couple hours looking around for stuff to make an army list.
This is a basic army list for a Rand-like era, but even out of Rand era there are only a few changes. Also depending on the timeline, some of these nations have combine army lists.. (lol)
Also a few thoughts..
Aes Sedai should be in units of one, and maybe model the bannerman for the unit to be a warder?? ~:cheers:
Even though many of these Nations have the same soldiers, each model should be different, each nation uses a different style of armor.
As for Asha'man being able to travel along with Aes Sedai I suppose, just make it when they are generals they give a huge marching distance bonus would represent traveling quite well.

Also this is just a rough draft so BRAIN STORM WITH ME! If you remember seeing anything about certain countries having different specialty troops then ive mentions put it down, I can write Unit Descriptions for any of these units Myrddraal, id like to talk to you on messenger sometime and brainstorm some stuff, ive got a lot of ideas.

Altara
Elite
Ebou Dar Guardsmen(Mounted & Dismounted)
Cavalry
Noble Retainers
Light Lancers
Infantry
Men of the City
Pikemen
Swordsmen
Archers
Crossbowmen
Levy

Amadicia
Elite
Royal Guards
Children of the Light(Mounted & Dismounted)
Children of the Light Archers
Children of the Light Crossbowmen
Cavalry
Noble Retainers
Light Lancers
Infantry
Heavy Pikemen
Pikemen
Swordsmen
Archers
Crossbowmen
Levy

Andor
Elite
White Lions(Mounted & Dismounted)
Queen's Guard(Mounted & Dismounted)
Cavalry
Noble Retainers
Light Lancers
Infantry
Pikemen
Swordsmen
Two River Longbowmen
Two River Spearmen
Archers
Crossbowmen
Levy

Arad Doman
Elite
Royal Guards(Mounted & Dismounted)
Cavalry
Noble Retainers
Light Lancers
Infantry
Pikemen
Swordsmen
Archers
Crossbowmen
Levy

Arafel
Elite
Guardians of the Blight(Mounted & Dismounted)
Cavalry
Borderland Heavy Cavalry
Lancers
Infantry
Arafel Swordsmen
Archers
Crossbowmen

Cairhien
Elite
Cairhien Vanguard(Mounted & Dismounted)
Guardians of the Dragonwall(Mounted & Dismounted)
Cavalry
Noble Retainers
Light Lancers
Infantry
Pikemen
Swordsmen
Archers
Crossbowmen
Levy

The Dark One
Elite
Myrddraal(Mounted & Dismounted)
Forsaken(Mounted & Dismounted)
Darkhounds
Infantry
Heavy Trollocs
Medium Trollocs
Light Trollocs
Trollocs Archers
Darkfiends

Ghealdan
Elite
Ghealdan Macemen
Cavalry
Noble Retainers
Lancers
Infantry
Pikemen
Swordsmen
Archers
Crossbowmen
Levy

Illian
Elite
Companions(Mounted & Dismounted)
Cavalry
Noble Retainers
Light Lancers
Infantry
Pikemen
Sailors
Swordsmen
Light Swordsmen
Archers
Crossbowmen
Levy

Kandor
Elite
Kandor Heavy Cavalry(Mounted & Dismounted)
Kandor Swordsmen
Cavalry
Borderlands Heavy Cavalry
Lancers
Infantry
Swordsmen
Archers
Crossbowmen

Mayene
Elite
Winged Guards(Mounted & Dismounted)
Cavalry
Retainers
Lancers
Infantry
Sailors
Pikemen
Swordsmen
Archers
Crossbowmen

Murandy
Elite
Cavalry
Noble Retainers
Light Lancers
Infantry
Heavy Pikemen
Pikemen
Swordsmen
Archers
Crossbowmen
Levy

People of the Dragon
Elite
Asha'man(Mounted & Dismounted)
Wise Ones
Infantry (note trying to include all the societies)
Legion of the Dragon
Red Shields(Light Infantry)
Thunder Walkers(Heavy Infantry)
Far Dareis Mai(Light Aiel - like scouts)
Stone Dogs(Medium Infantry)
Water Seekers(Light Skirmishers)
True Bloods(Archers)
Brothers of the Eagle(Heavy Skirmishers)
Night Spears(Maybe like Night Raiders with a frighten enemy option?)
Black Eyes(Heavy Archers)
(No idea what to do with the two left...)
Dawn Runners
Knife Hands

Saldaea
Elite
Saldaean Light Cavalry
Cavalry
Lancers
Infantry
Swordsmen
Archers
Crossbowmen

Seachan
Elite
Death Watch Guards(Mounted & Dismounted)
Death Watch Ogier Guards
Damane
Cavalry
Seachan Beast Riders
Seachan Cavalry
Infantry
Seachan Falxmen
Seachan Spearmen
Seachan Swordsmen
Seachan Archers

Shienar
Elite
Shienar Heavy Cavalry
Cavalry
Lancers
Infantry
Shienar Heavy Swordsmen
Archers Crossbowmen
Men of Shienar

Tarabon
Elite
Tarabon Heavy Cavalry
Cavalry
Noble Retainers
Light Lancers
Infantry
Pikemen
Swordsmen
Archers
Crossbowmen
Levy

Tar Valon
Elite
Younglings(Mounted & Dismounted)
Tower Guards
Aes Sedai
Cavalry
Tar Valon Heavy Cavalry
Infantry
Tar Valon Halbierers
Tar Valon Swordsmen
Men of Tar Valon

Tear
Elite
Defenders of the Stone(Mounted & Dismounted)
Cavalry
Noble Retainers
Light Lancers
Infantry
Heavy Pikemen
Pikemen
Sailors
Swordsmen
Archers
Crossbowmen

Thedevil003
12-02-2004, 03:46
I was rush for time, so sorry for the sloppy job, i'll fix the legs later...
http://img65.exs.cx/img65/8614/Unit_new.jpg
http://img65.exs.cx/img65/4567/UnitNewback.jpg

CrownOfSwords
12-02-2004, 03:58
Better if instead of just using a helmet and giving it cloth texture to make more of a hood for them.. and make the veil dark brown instead of black.

Thedevil003
12-02-2004, 04:34
Better if instead of just using a helmet and giving it cloth texture to make more of a hood for them.. and make the veil dark brown instead of black.
Not my model, that was Myrddraal. I just fixed the alpha.

Katana
12-02-2004, 04:41
IRT Crown of Swords
Your unit list, I feel, could use some editing:

- First off, assuming you are trying to make a balanced list here, the Army of the Dragon has wayyy too many 'good' units (remember that Aiel are superior fighters to those of nations east of the Spine). Also, I know this may not be able to be helped, but some of the nations (i.e. Kandor, Murandy, Arad Doman) seem a bit generic. And what kind of units are 'elite'?

- I disagree with the Forsaken (i.e. 13 of the most powerful individuals who ever lived, outside of maybe the Creator, the Dark One and the gholams) being a unit available to the Dark One's army. Also, why would they be mounted? We're talking about people who can pretty much bend reality to their will here. Why wouldn't they just float or something?

- I haven't read one of the books in a while, but shouldn't Altara and Saldaea have women fighting for them?

CrownOfSwords
12-02-2004, 05:01
Lol, no they just have the best PMSing housewives, Altara they have the dueling crap with the knife necklace thing and Saldaea is the place where they say the wife will take up the Husbands fallen sword and go back into battle, but nothing in the books say anyhting about either using women fighters.

As for the generic part, for a couple of the nations we don't know much of anything about like Kandor, Arad Doman, only a little about Tarabon. I could throw the panarchs legions in there for elites for Tarabon I guess, but the books dont even take us to Kandor or even really talk about them. We know they are the on the Borderlands therefore of course they have some badass soldiers and would just be better fighters than southland people.

As for what your saying about Aiel being over powered? Ha, thats why it was the Aiel war and it took every nation united to barely stop 3 clans, now that all the clans have crossed CAN anything stop them? Maybe the Seachan?
Another point, Mat beat Aiel being outnumbered a bunch of times, simple strategy can beat Aiel, it says in the books the Pikes kept the aiel from getting close and the crossbowmen were shooting them then flanking manuevers with cavalry, I dont care how good Aiel are at fighting when Horsemen reach full gallop and charge into the Aiel some will be flying, they might not do so well after that, but thats what hit and run tactics are for..

Something the Aiel dont use anywhere in the books is siege equipment, maybe they can try to climb over the walls? So give them ladders atleast, so they may be able to beat most armies in the field but when it comes to a strongly garrisoned city they will be helpless. If it was broad daylight and the Defenders were alerted before the Aiel got inside, the Aiel wouldve NEVER gotten inside. Sorry for the typos rushed text, be back in an hour.

CrownOfSwords
12-02-2004, 06:43
Also Myrddraal I can any artist work you need, as soon as I get home in two weeks where I have my scanner Ill draw up anything you need, I also have a huge database of the best WOT drawings I could find on my computer, but then again I don't know from a legal standpoint if you could use any of them, but the concepts for what the soldiers look like are really good. Right now im trying to learn how to draw on the computer, I can do some pretty good work but it takes ALOT longer trying to finish an aielman right now.. ~:eek: :dizzy2:

Myrddraal
12-02-2004, 10:44
Great stuff, donn't worry about the aiel, I'll upload some proper pics when they're done.

Crown of Swords, you missed out some key units. Defenders of the gate for amadicia, and other such units you rarlely hear about. I'll post my unit list, then we can merge the two.

Do you want in officially, join the team I mean, it not a major commitment, you just do what you can?

Myrddraal
12-02-2004, 13:32
At Devil, it you want to make the the Aiel look proper, use the gaulish skirmisher model
If you want the stats, I'll send them to u.

Borderland fighting styles:

Saldea:
Best light cavalry in the world

Arafel:
Famed for their swordsmen

Kandor:
Unlike the other borderlanders, they are traders as well as fighters
One of their provinces is called the Plain of Lances, which suggests they are lancers. I don’t know if they are heavy or light, but they are probably not as light as Saldea, and not as heavy as Shienar.

Shienar:
Best and heaviest cavalry in the world

Malkier:
No idea

Crown of Swords: I told you this in the Medieval mod, White Lions are a unit created by Rhavin when he is compelling Morgase. They are all evil barstards who rape and pilliage, and not a symbol of Andor at all. :duel:

CrownOfSwords
12-02-2004, 18:58
Yeah I would love to help out in everyway I can, I'd love to see this mod finished and polished. I don't have that World of Wheel of Time book so all my info comes straight out of the series, but im still very knowledgable on the series so im glad to put forth anything I know.

CrownOfSwords
12-02-2004, 19:03
Yes I knew about the White Lions, but if its in the right time peroid during Rand's time you would want to throw them in because Rahvin is still in Power

Myrddraal
12-02-2004, 20:13
Here is my unit list (CoS i'll send you the files then, and put ur username on the website):

Unit list :

Basic units:

Peasants
Levy Pikemen
Pikemen
Armoured Pikemen
Peasant Archer
Archer
Crossbowmen
Elite Crossbowmen
House Armsmen
Royal Armsmen
Local Militia
Town Militia
County Militia

Light Horse
Mounted Armsmen (swords shield)
Mounted Nobles
Mounted Crossbows

Tarabon:

King’s Life Guard (Mounted and Dismounted)
Panarch’s Legion (Pikemen)
Taraboner Lancers
Taraboner Infantry (Spearmen)

Andor:

Queens Guards (Mounted and Dismounted)
Two Rivers Peasants (Better moral)
Two Rivers Longbows
Miner Militia (From the mines in the mountains of mist)
Billmen
City Guard

Tear:
Defenders of the Stone (Mounted and Dismounted)
Tairen Heavy Horse
Godan Cavalry
Maredo Cavalry
Tairen Horse Archers
Tairen Lancers

Amadicia:

Guardians of the Gate (Mounted and Dismounted)
Children of the Light (Mounted and Dismounted)
Children of the Light Heavy Cavalry
Amadician Pikemen
Zealots
Amadician Crossbowmen

Cairhien

Royal Guard (Mounted and Dismounted)
Cairhienen Nobles
Billmen
Free Companies (Two handed swords)
Cairhienen Infantry (Pikemen)

Murandy

Royal Guards
Murandian Bandits (Archers)
Merchant Guards (Mounted and Dismounted)
Lugard Brigands (Spearmen)

Shienar :

Shienaran Royal Lancers (Mounted and Dismounted)
Shienaran Mounted Bows
Borderland Militia
Shienaran House Armsmen
Fal Daran Cavalry

Arafel:

Arafellin Knights (Mounted and Dismounted)
Mounted Swordsmen
Arafellin Swordsmen (Two Swords)
Arafellin House Armsmen
Borderland Militia
Arafellin Light Horse

Kandor

Royal Lancers (Mounted and Dismounted)
Kandori Lancers
Kandori Heavy Infantry
Kandori Armsmen
Kandori Archers
Borderland Militia
Chariots?

Ghealdan

Defenders of the Wall (On foot)
Billmen
Jehanna City Guard

Illian

Companions (Mounted and Dismounted)
Sailors
Councils Bodyguard (Maces)

Mayene

Winged Guards (Mounted and Dismounted)
Marines

Altara

Palace Guard (Mounted and Dismounted)
Altaran Light Horse
Bandits

Arad Doman ???

The Shadow:

Myraddraal
Dha'vol Trollocs
Dhai'mon Trollocs
Ko'bal Trollocs
Ahf'frait Trollocs
Kno'mon Trolloc
Darkhounds
Creatures of the Blight
Darkfriends
Darkfriend Archers

CrownOfSwords
12-02-2004, 20:56
I like it, theres a few things you could argue and just somethings that are implemented like Two Rivers militia should have spears and be better than any other militia in the game.

Im not so sure about crossbowmen, they don't talk much about them in the books other than the legion of the dragon, so elite crossbowmen could maybe be argued against. And a lot of those basic units shouldnt be for the nations guarding the blight.

I wish we knew more about Kandor and Arad Doman, I think I saw something about the Domani have a special type of swordsman, but thats it. Also we need to think about the Aiel it would be great to put in all the societies and make them different type of units. And im not so sure there is a borderland militia, I think atleast right on the border EVERY man is a soldier of some type.

Also with the Children of the Light, I think in the book every single CotL is armed in the same way, so im not sure if there is a heavy horseman, they are heavily armored in the first place.

I have some great artwork ive found for concepts atleast to maybe model the units from. And what are we doing about a Graphic artist do we have someone who knows what they are about?

CrownOfSwords
12-02-2004, 20:59
When I have the time I will combine our lists and put in notes on units only in Rand era.

CrownOfSwords
12-02-2004, 23:31
Update unit list, I combined the some units were basically the same so just picked one or the other. So here it is ~:cheers:

Please give some feedback and sorry for grammatical errors only 4 hours of sleep will do that to ya :stars:

Altara
Elite
Ebou Dar Guardsmen(Mounted & Dismounted)
Cavalry
Noble Retainers
Altaran Light Horse
Horse Archers
Infantry
Men of the City (Peasants armed with daggers)
Armoured Pikemen
Pikemen
Swordsmen
Archers
Crossbowmen
Local Militia
Town Militia
County Militia
Bandits
Levy

Amadicia
Elite
Guardians of the Gate(Mounted & Dismounted)
Children of the Light(Mounted & Dismounted)
Children of the Light Crossbowmen
Cavalry
Noble Retainers
Light Lancers
Infantry
Amadician Pikemen (Heavy duty)
Levy Pikemen
Zealots
Swordsmen
Archers
Crossbowmen
Local Militia
Town Militia
County Militia
Levy

Andor
Elite
White Lions(Mounted & Dismounted) Note only in Rand era
Queen's Guard(Mounted & Dismounted)
Cavalry
Noble Retainers
Light Lancers
Infantry
Pikemen
Billmen
Men of Caemlyn(Swordsmen Medium Armor)
Two River Longbowmen
Two River Peasants (pretty badass peasants armed with Spears)
Archers
Crossbowmen
Local Militia
Town Militia
County Militia
Levy

Arad Doman
Elite
Cavalry
Noble Retainers
Light Lancers
Infantry
Heavy Pikemen
Pikemen
Domani Heavy Swordsmen
Archers
Crossbowmen
Local Militia
Town Militia
County Militia
Levy

Arafel
Elite
Arafellin Knights(Mounted & Dismounted)
Cavalry
Borderland Heavy Cavalry
Arafellin Light Lancers
Infantry
Arafel Swordsmen (Two Swords)
Archers
Crossbowmen
Borderland Milita(Good for Milita Medium Armour)

Cairhien
Elite
Cairhien Vanguard(Mounted & Dismounted)
Guardians of the Dragonwall(Mounted & Dismounted)
Cavalry
Noble Retainers
Light Lancers
Infantry
Free Companies(Two Handed swords)
Billmen
Cairhienin Pikemen
Swordsmen
Archers
Crossbowmen
Local Militia
Town Militia
County Militia
Levy

The Dark One
Elite
Myrddraal(Mounted & Dismounted)
Forsaken(Mounted & Dismounted)
Darkhounds
Infantry
Dha'vol Trollocs
Dhai'mon Trollocs
Ko'bal Trollocs
Ahf'frait Trollocs
Kno'mon Trollocs
Creature of the Blight
Trollocs Archers
Darkfiends

Ghealdan
Elite
Defenders of the Wall(Footmen)
Cavalry
Noble Retainers
Lancers
Infantry
Heavy Pikemen
Pikemen
Macemen
Swordsmen
Billmen
Jehanna City Guard
Archers
Crossbowmen
Local Militia
Town Militia
County Militia
Levy

Illian
Elite
Companions(Mounted & Dismounted)
Councils Bodyguard(Macemen)
Cavalry
Noble Retainers
Light Lancers
Infantry
Pikemen
Sailors
Swordsmen
Light Swordsmen
Archers
Crossbowmen
Levy

Kandor
Elite
Kandor Heavy Cavalry(Mounted & Dismounted)
Kandor Heavy Infantry (Swordsmen)
Cavalry
Lancers
Infantry
Swordsmen
Borderland Militia
Archers
Crossbowmen
Chariots? (lol I dunno never read anything about them in the book but could be a cool addition)

Mayene (I have a feeling that Mayenes only standing army are the Winged Guards, but Sailors and such are a tough sort)
Elite
Winged Guards(Mounted & Dismounted)
Cavalry
Retainers
Lancers
Infantry
Sailors
Marines(Heavily armed Sailors)
Pikemen
Swordsmen
Archers
Crossbowmen

Murandy
Elite
Cavalry
Noble Retainers
Light Lancers
Infantry
Murandian Bandits(Archers)
Merchant Guards(Mounted & Dismounted)
Lugard Bridgands(Spearmen)
Heavy Pikemen
Pikemen
Swordsmen
Archers
Crossbowmen
Local Militia
Town Militia
County Militia
Levy

People of the Dragon(Just simply Aiel in any era other than Rand's lol)
Elite
Asha'man(Mounted & Dismounted)-Rand era
Wise Ones-(Rand era, never fought before dumai wells)
Infantry (note trying to include all the societies)
Legion of the Dragon(Heavy Crossbowmen with good swords fighting skills also) Rand era only
True Bloods(Archers)
(No idea what to do with the two left...Maybe an elite aiel unit?)
Dawn Runners
Knife Hands

Saldaea
Elite
Saldaean Light Cavalry
Cavalry
Lancers
Infantry
Swordsmen
Archers
Borderland Militia
Crossbowmen

Seachan
Elite
Death Watch Guards(Mounted & Dismounted)
Death Watch Ogier Guards
Damane
Cavalry
Seachan Beast Riders
Seachan Cavalry
Infantry
Seachan Falxmen
Seachan Spearmen
Seachan Swordsmen
Seachan Archers

Shienar
Elite
Shienar Heavy Cavalry
Cavalry
Shienaran Mounted Bows
Lancers
Infantry
Men of Fal Dara(Mounted and Dismounted Heavily Armoured)
Shienar Heavy Swordsmen
Archers Crossbowmen
Men of Shienar

Tarabon
Elite
Tarabon Heavy Cavalry
Cavalry
Noble Retainers
Light Lancers
Infantry
Pikemen
Swordsmen
Archers
Crossbowmen
Levy

Tar Valon
Elite
Younglings(Mounted & Dismounted)
Tower Guards
Aes Sedai
Cavalry
Tar Valon Heavy Cavalry
Infantry
Tar Valon Halbierers
Tar Valon Swordsmen
Men of Tar Valon(Milita)

Tear
Elite
Defenders of the Stone(Mounted & Dismounted)
Cavalry
Godan Cavalry
Maredo Cavalry
Horse Archers
Noble Retainers
Lancers
Infantry
Heavy Pikemen
Pikemen
Sailors
Swordsmen
Archers
Crossbowmen
Local Militia
Town Militia
County Militia
Levy

NaeBlis
12-03-2004, 04:31
So, does this mod take place in the Rand Era? I reckon the mod should end with Rand's birth, and start perhaps 500/700 years after the breaking.

CrownOfSwords
12-03-2004, 04:51
No I think Myrddraal has in mind to make one campaign the Aiel war and another some time during Rand's era. Its going to be difficult decided how to play that out, I personally think we should go alittle offtopic with the book and start Rand with the Aiel.

After we finish all this I hope to work on a mod during the Trolloc wars would be great.

CrownOfSwords
12-03-2004, 06:53
What are we going to do about getting city names for enough provinces?
As for the Seachan problem give them one province a small island or something, and like two full sized armies on a couple ships. Might be unbalanced though for the Nations about to be wrecked by it.. but it would follow along the lines of the book.

Most of Altara should be in open rebellion, only the main city controlled with a good sized garrison.
Also are you planning to have the huge city differences again its a good idea, make it really hard to have a city grow, and keep the importance of controlling the capital city of the nation make them DAMN hard to take.

Also I was thinking about Aes Sedai and Asha'man, im not sure the fireball thing is going to work its a good idea when they are at a distance but when the get close wont they just kill themselves? See if you can make it so the fireballs are more rapid and are only large enough to kill one person at a time.

I saw something about how you want the Dark One to be the senate? I think the Children of the Light should be the Senate and be allied with everyone cept dark one and should have marching rights and everything, if possible make it so they are kinda bossy asking for provinces etc.

Also what are you going to do about the Blight and cities, I think they shouldnt have anything more than a village but be able to train everything straight out of there. Make trollocs incredibly cheap and fast to produce but poor moral etc and darkhounds/forsaken expensive and long to train.

Also I bring up a point I had for the game back when it was going to be for MTW, specialty units should only be able to be trained in their home provinces, but anyone who takes the province should be able to train them with few exceptions. And are you planning to model every unit according to nation or use alot of basic models, would be great if we could model them according to their armor styles and we cant forget the Con on the Cairhenin! Just thought of that today.

Also I just read something about Kandorians wearing two chains across their chest? Also depending on the time during the Rand era should we give Two rivers its freedom? They could have a lower population but high quality troops espeically for defending (longbows and spearmen)

CrownOfSwords
12-03-2004, 07:06
Just convinced myself I was going to finish the paper im writing... but I just thought of a great idea, concering the shadow.

We know that there is now way you could conquer a shadow province and just sit on it and survive, so make it so the provinces revolt constantly in the blight and the only way to beat the Dark One is to go to shayol ghul where there has got to be a HUGE fortress with a garrison maybe that cant leave the castle somehow and make the dark one lol make his fireballs HUGE so beating the Shadow would be quite a challenge.

Myrddraal
12-03-2004, 13:52
Slow down everyone we need to work out a plan. I suggested that we do two eras. One starting 200 years before the fall of Malkier to ending with the arrival of the Seanchan and Rands declaration at Falme (same year). And one, much much shorter, even using my season editor script (see general forum), starting with the fall of the Stone of Tear.

I suggest we work on the Early Era first, as this will also form the foundations for the Rand Era.

To see the finalised version of the unit list, visit the website.

Now here is my attempt to get us organised:

Nae Blis' and my abilities:
Me - Skins, Some modeling, text files and campmap files.
Nae Blis - Modelling, text files.

I don't really know what either CrownOfSwords or Sephriel can do so please tell me.

At the moment, I was thinking I would work on the campmap, NaeBlis on models, and CrownOfSwords and/or Sephriel do unit stats.

Myrddraal
12-03-2004, 14:20
Crown Of Swords, you asked a lot of questions. I've tried to answer them:

What are we going to do about getting city names for enough provinces?

I was searching on the internet, and I found some people who are making a mod for Oblivion. I asked if we could use their research and they said yes so no trouble for region names. They asked wether we could make some battle videos using the rome engine in exchange, and I said yes, nothing could be easier.

As for the Seachan problem give them one province a small island or something, and like two full sized armies on a couple ships. Might be unbalanced though for the Nations about to be wrecked by it.. but it would follow along the lines of the book.

I already said, after Falme, the Seanchan retreat to a sea folk island called Cantorin. Thats where they'll start.

Most of Altara should be in open rebellion, only the main city controlled with a good sized garrison.
Also are you planning to have the huge city differences again its a good idea, make it really hard to have a city grow, and keep the importance of controlling the capital city of the nation make them DAMN hard to take.

Certainly, full of Altaran Bandits. In the books, the Queen only controls the City.

Also I was thinking about Aes Sedai and Asha'man, im not sure the fireball thing is going to work its a good idea when they are at a distance but when the get close wont they just kill themselves? See if you can make it so the fireballs are more rapid and are only large enough to kill one person at a time.

I haven't found a way of making them fire faster. Its true that if you place them facing uphill, they sometimes kill themselves, but it was the best i could do.

I saw something about how you want the Dark One to be the senate? I think the Children of the Light should be the Senate and be allied with everyone cept dark one and should have marching rights and everything, if possible make it so they are kinda bossy asking for provinces etc.

My personal oppinion is that the Dark One makes a better Senate. Remember the victory conditions. Kill the Senate, Take Rome, Own 50 Provinces. The Dark One as Senate means that you have Three Trolloc Clans instead of the Romans, and their objective is to become NaeBlis by taking Shayol Ghul (Emperator). Everyone else has to kill the shadow, and Take Shayol Ghul to win. Its perfect.

Also what are you going to do about the Blight and cities, I think they shouldnt have anything more than a village but be able to train everything straight out of there. Make trollocs incredibly cheap and fast to produce but poor moral etc and darkhounds/forsaken expensive and long to train.

I don't think that Forsaken should be trainable, your Familily leader would be your Chosen, and your family member Dreadlords. Otherwise yeah.

Also I bring up a point I had for the game back when it was going to be for MTW, specialty units should only be able to be trained in their home provinces, but anyone who takes the province should be able to train them with few exceptions.

I agree except for other Factions shouldn't be able to train them. Think about Tear training Companions, it wouldn't make sense.

Also depending on the time during the Rand era should we give Two rivers its freedom? They could have a lower population but high quality troops espeically for defending (longbows and spearmen)

I think the Two Rivers should belong to Andor, but be rebellious so you can't Tax it.

CrownOfSwords
12-03-2004, 19:01
Thanks for answering my questions, yes I agree the dark one would be a better senate. My main point about training units only at their home is that if you would train lancers in andor they would wear the bellshaped helmet but if you trained them in Tear they will wear baggy sleeves and the conquistador like helmet, just to have the feel of the mixed armies would be great.

And Oblivion are you talking about morrowind 4? I didnt think it was close to being out yet..

CrownOfSwords
12-03-2004, 20:48
Im sure we are going to need some artwork done which I can do, im going to look at working on 3d models ive done it before long time ago, maybe ill be able to work with RTW.

NaeBlis
12-03-2004, 21:13
Wait...How will we implement named characters from the books? And will the actions taken by the characters in the book have an effect in the game, or will it be a "design ur own game" type thing, where the player can choose to do what they will, and only "major major" events will be included.

What about doing something about the world before/after the Breaking (i.e. starting when the the DO is first released from its prison - finishing with the Hundred Companions' attack on DO; or perhaps after the Breaking has occured, when all the different peoples are pretty much vying for stability and control). Jordan has not released any books (well, except from the guide perhaps), where he provides a lot of info on that era.

Thedevil003
12-03-2004, 21:23
If you need any other texturing help, just email it to me and I’ll help again.

Silver Rusher
12-03-2004, 21:32
The fireball women people are looking good.

CrownOfSwords
12-03-2004, 23:57
Hey Myrddraal what program are you using for modeling units? 3d studio max?

NaeBlis
12-04-2004, 00:54
Speaking of modelling progs, if anyone can model, but does not have 3dsmax, then they can design it in GMax, export it to *.3ds, send it to me, and I can convert it into *.cas.

Myrddraal
12-04-2004, 12:43
And Oblivion are you talking about morrowind 4? I didnt think it was close to being out yet..

Ur right, the mod was originally for morrowind 3, but the devs released info about Oblivion, so they started work on that.

Heres their forum, u can see my posts:
WoT for Oblivion (http://www.halloftorque.com/wforum/viewtopic.php?p=131877#131877)

What about doing something about the world before/after the Breaking

I don't think we know enough about before the breaking, but doing a campaign called the War of The Hundred Years would be good, in "The World of The Wheel" there is a map showing the nations as they where then. We would have to use more 'Artistic Licence', but it would be good.

I don't have 3D Max, but 3D Max is the program to use. Its for that that the .CAS extractor was made. Nae Blis, if you could send me some models in 3ds or .x or something compatible, I could play around with them.

NaeBlis
12-04-2004, 22:10
The fact that we next to nothing about the Breaking is why it is the best option. If we do something which has been documented by Jordan, then it would be under constant criticism as to whether it follows the story exactly etc...

If it is on an undocumented era, then it is ours to do as we will - we will have a lot more freedom (as long as it acceptable, ofcourse - i.e. ofcourse there weren't Asha'man after the Breaking - or (sane) male channelers)

Myrddraal
12-05-2004, 14:15
But the whole world is a different shape before the breaking. Its a big undertaking, but one we could do. Myself I'm in favour of an era with Manethern etc.

As some of you might know, I finally worked out a script to make more than one turn a year, and the great news is, the characters don't age if you do it.

This means that the Rand_Era campaign can last as long as we like. We could make a turn equal a month.

CrownOfSwords
12-05-2004, 21:42
Great work Myrd. I wonder if its possible to make it so if Rand dies you lose?

Martini_
12-06-2004, 17:46
Greetings,

I just found this thread, as I was actually thinking about developing my own WoT Mod for R:TW. Now that I have discovered a similiar mod, already in progress, I'd like to ask if I may be of service.

I have read all of the WoT books (excluding the last to be released) and am currently re-reading them from the beginning. I can boast an educated mind when it comes to the lore of Jordan.

I offer not only my knowledge of the books, however. I am currently in my first year of college, and I am majoring in Computer Science, with the hopes of becoming a programmer for a company such as Creative Assembly. Though I am early in my degree, and do not know an extensive amount, I understand many of the concepts of coding and programming languages. And from what I have browsed through in the R:TW Data files, I believe I have both the know-how and the time to successfully be a part of your team.

I also am very knowledgeable in HTML, CSS, XHTML, PHP, and MySQL. I own a domain, which could possibly be an alternate solution to your current host. I also have a little talent with site design, reguarding graphics for the web.

Overall, I think I am a perfect fit, as I have both skills and desire that are needed for a successful project.

Reguards,

Martini_

NaeBlis
12-07-2004, 10:18
So...are we doing a "after the breaking" mod around/before/after the time of Hawking? Personally i think it should be after the breaking (when all the different peoples are fighting for control and power).

We can't do a "before the breaking" mod, as there was no violence in that period

Lazul
12-07-2004, 12:04
I have an idea about Wonders of the World

How about making Tar Valon a Rebel faction or a faction that has no lust for expansion. Let Tar Valon or the White Tower be a Wonder, wich gives alot of bonuses, like loyalty and so on.

The Rock of Tear, Improves the city defences or gives building time bonus

That Aiel city thingi, wich i forgot the name of, improves aiel loyalty

Shayol Ghoul (sp?) Controlling this mighty rock should make Trollocs fanaticly loyal to you.

Cant think of any other wonders at the moment but what do you think of the idea? :bow:

Myrddraal
12-07-2004, 13:37
@ Lazul, the hand on Tremalking. The aiel city is called Rhuidian, and its called the Stone of Tear. I think the Stone should be like a governors palace that you can only have in Tear. If there was a way of making it a defence as well, give it loads of arrows, then it would be inpregnable.

@ Nae Blis. We could to an Artur Hawking mod. That would be pretty good. Remember the possiblities are endless ;-). For the moment though, I think we should concentrate on the pre-Rand era campaign.

Martini_ That's great, your very welcome. Does that make you a official member (just want to check)?

Martini, if you have an in depth knowledge of how the game engine works, perhaps you could tell me what I'm doing wrong with the campmap.

This is really bugging me. I wrote a guide about campmap editing, I answer questions about campmap editing, but every time I try I run up against a dead end.

Currenly I have completetly re-made the map from scratch (again).
There are 51 provinces (enough to satisfy the basic victory conditions, more will be added later)
I'm fairly sure there are no errors in descr_strat or descr_regions.

There are two problems.

The first error I encountered was a CTD without error message when I clicked start the campaign. I then worked out that this was being caused by the sea. I don't know why, but if I include any water (I add it in map_region.tga, map_heights.tga and map_ground_types.tga), the game doesn't load.

When I made the entire world land, I got some typo errors in descr_regions.txt. I corrected those. I then changed the province names in descr_mercenaries.txt to those of the new campaign, and now I get a CTD with no error message when I click start, even though there is no water.

What am I doing wrong?!?!?!?

PS, is Sephriel still around?

Myrddraal
12-07-2004, 16:48
I was thinking about factions, and came up with this:

The Senate ---> The Dark One
The Scipii ---> Dha'vol Clan
The Brutii ---> Kno'mon Clan
The Julii ---> Ahf'frait Clan
The Greek Cities ---> Shienar
Macedon ---> Arafel
Seleucid ---> Kandor
Numidia ---> Saldea
Carthage ---> Malkier
Parhia ---> Andor
Scythia ---> Tear
Egypt ---> Amadicia (Whitecloaks included)
Germans ---> Cairhien
Gauls ---> Illian
Britons ---> Altara
Dacians ---> Arad Doman
Armenia ---> Aiel
Pontus ---> Tarabon
Spain ---> Ghealdan
Thrace ---> Tar Valon

The nation I missed out are:

Murandy
Mayene
The Sea Folk

Its a shame not to have them, but what else can we do? These nations will have to be rebel.

For Rand Era:

Macedon ---> Arafel
Seleucid ---> Kandor
Numidia ---> Saldea
Carthage ---> Seanchan
Parhia ---> Andor
Scythia ---> People of the Dragon (inlcudes Aiel and Tear)
Germans ---> Cairhien
Gauls ---> Illian
Britons ---> Altara
Dacians ---> Arad Doman
Armenia ---> The Shaido
Pontus ---> Tarabon
Spain ---> The Prophet
Thrace ---> Tar Valon

Here I have have changed Malkiere to the Seanchan, Tear to the People of the Dragon, the Aiel to the Shaido and Ghealdan to the forces of The Prophet.

What do you think?

NaeBlis
12-07-2004, 20:45
Cool...as long as its not during the time the books take place.

CrownOfSwords
12-07-2004, 20:53
It is during Rands time Naeblis thats why its called the Rand Era ~;)

Nice work Myrd, im not sure how much I can really help not a lot of expierence modding the game, trying to learn right now. But anything having to do with the books and you want a second view tell me. ~:cheers:

Martini_
12-07-2004, 23:17
Yeah, you can call me an offical member if it's okay with you.

Send me the campaign map files; I can't garuntee results, but I can garuntee effort.

email: wm.proctor@gmail.com
msn: wmeproctor@hotmail.com
aim: wmeproctor
yahoo: coolsax03

Myrddraal
12-07-2004, 23:35
@ Nae Blis the top list is the era just before rand, and the bottom list is the era during rands time.

@ Crown of Swords, don't worry about not doing much, you might like to try downloading caligula and hadrian, the unit and building editors, maybe work out the stats for units.

@ Martini_, great, I'll send them as soon as pos.

CrownOfSwords
12-08-2004, 04:07
Yeah I have Caligula, been playing around with it. Not too hard to understand so im pretty sure I can playtest units.

soibean
12-08-2004, 04:27
ok just a couple questions / ideas
is rand playable if you choose his faction?

for the rand era, why not make the spear maidens his body guards and move one of the ones who you dont know what to use as the light aiel instead? easy solution to a problem I think

for the dark one's forces... what about those bat things that suck out your soul and life, keep it as a groundunit (I dont even know if you could make air?) and have it as something with a very high attack (it sucks your life remember) but a crappy defense and low unit numbers... but its gotta have something so it isnt crap... some sort of bonus...

for the 3 trolloc clans, is your chosen immortal as in he wont die of old age/disease, but can be killed by other means? is that possible?

and finally, do you have a map ready yet? I mean just to glance at not a beta or anything

NaeBlis
12-08-2004, 06:14
Yeah...i guess calling it Rand's Era if it takes during Rand's time is kinda logical :D.

But, just as a question, how will we implement named characters - will they be retinues and ancillaries, or will they be predefined events. Another thing - will it follow the books, word-for-word.

Myrddraal
12-08-2004, 14:02
But, just as a question, how will we implement named characters - will they be retinues and ancillaries, or will they be predefined events. Another thing - will it follow the books, word-for-word.

All characters which are there at the beginning can be there are family members or diplomats or spies etc. You can name your starting characters.

I don't think it should follow the book. It should start as it is in the beginning, but then it should be a 'what might have happened' mod.

Sephriel
12-08-2004, 14:33
hi,
@myrddraal: yes i am here again: my pc had a prob for something like a week, but now hes okay again. i'll use your files as soon as possible.

Sephriel

Myrddraal
12-08-2004, 16:41
Sephriel, those files are out of date now, do you want the new ones (the error is still there, or at least an error is still there)

Sephriel
12-09-2004, 18:17
hi,
yes i'd like those

Myrddraal
12-10-2004, 09:37
Ok I've sent them. I've also sent a copy to Martini_, as I think I might have sent you the wrong files before. Just compare the number of provinces in regions and settlements file. If they are the same, then ur ok with the ones I already sent you.

NaeBlis
12-10-2004, 12:05
okay...so tell me what i need to start modelling.

I've just realised that we will probably need to add our own animations for the trolloc (not sure if its just me, but i always imagined trolloc with bent knees)

Myrddraal
12-10-2004, 14:14
I guess you could start by The Queens Guards. They are a good starting point.

Here are a couple of descriptions straight from the books:

"Long white collars hung down over their mail and plate, and their cloaks and undercoats were red ... Each man's conical helmet shone like silver ... Thin red streamers fluttered beneath the heads of their lances ... A cage of steel bars masked each face."
"The uniforms of the Queen's Guard include a red undercoat, gleaming mail and plate armor, and a brilliant red cloak. Long white collars hang over the armor, and white cuffs gleam at the wrist. Their helmets are conical with barred visors, and they often carry lances with thin red streamers fluttering from their tips."

Crown of Swords, if you want to do some art, this is your chance.

I got those quotes from this page:

WoT Compendium (http://members.rogers.com/paupos/wot/wot_queens_guard.htm)

A good site.

If you want me to do a skin for them, I can do that easy.

Good luck.

CrownOfSwords
12-11-2004, 03:07
Can't do any work yet right now, next tuesday after I get home ill be fully equipped with my scanner and art utencils ~:cheers: . Ill be able to pump out alot of work for you the first week and a half from there and ill still be able to do some after that. A skin could help I dont want to contradict your skins with my drawings unless you want to base the skins off of some of my drawings.

Also if you'd ever get on ICQ :P I could send you a lot of very well done artwork from other artists just to use maybe to base skins from.

NaeBlis
12-11-2004, 03:54
CrownOfSwords u think u could do a concept art of queen's guard (just the front - thats what i'm having most trouble visualising)

CrownOfSwords
12-11-2004, 10:07
Yeah I definately will do, maybe ill do a crappy paint version just as a rough it wont look great but youll get the concept. I have a pretty good idea in my head what to make the Queens guard look like.

NaeBlis
12-11-2004, 11:44
That'd be great, thanks. Just need to know a rough idea.

Myrddraal
12-11-2004, 20:12
Crown of Swords, I was thinking of basing the skin on the concept art.

NaeBlis, do you think you could send me some of the models in a format other than CAS. I don't have 3Dmax.

@_Martini, any luck?

CrownOfSwords
12-11-2004, 20:53
pm me ur emails I dont know them, when im done with it ill send it to you.

NaeBlis
12-11-2004, 22:08
@Myrddraal: What format would you like? .3ds?
@CrownOfSwords - i'll send u a pm now.

Myrddraal
12-11-2004, 22:41
.3ds is fine. Thx

@Crown of Swords, don't know if that was directed at me, I think u already know my email, but I'll pm you anyway.

CrownOfSwords
12-12-2004, 00:18
Alright, rough draft will be ready in about 4 hours or so, have a AP us history final to take then ill finish it.. I have the body pretty well worked out but the helmet is just pissing me off, hard making a good "conical helmet with facebars"

After I finish my final I should be able to pump out a few more concepts, figured paint out really well now. When I get home ill throw some hand drawn sketches in also where I can put ALOT more detail in.

Myrddraal
12-12-2004, 17:33
Considering you did that in paint, I'm impressed.

I agree about the other pic, the helmet is nothing like how I imagined it.

I think their collars should be longer too, and white.

But otherwise great.

There you go, thats my feedback...

Myrddraal
12-13-2004, 18:39
_Martini, any luck,
Nae Blis, can I have those models?

NaeBlis
12-13-2004, 20:43
UM...yeah...about those models...I'm kinda still working on them (haven't had much time...started working 9.5 hours (just this week remaining), and been playing too much Warcraft (I know...I should play RTW instead...)

But I'll try to have them ready within a week.

CrownOfSwords
12-14-2004, 07:26
What is the next concept you want me to work on? Im going to be home tomorrow so I can do a real Queen's Guard drawing if you want, but I think u guys have moved on so whats next? Ive been studying the companions have a good idea what the look like I could pump one out pretty easily. ~:cheers:

Myrddraal
12-14-2004, 09:39
NaeBlis, I don't necessarily mean a QG model, any model will do, I can extract the CAS files because I dont have 3DMax, I just want something to play with.

I real Queens Guard pic would be great, and so would the companions. I suggest we start with the eliete units of each nation and go on from there.

Still no news from _Martini?

NaeBlis
12-14-2004, 12:51
Oh...U mean you want the game models?
Or the models I'm working on?

Myrddraal
12-14-2004, 13:09
Game or your own, I don't mind. If you don't want to send your own, then send me the barbarian skirmisher model please, and maybe a horse model. Thx.

NaeBlis
12-14-2004, 23:23
k, i'll email those models.

If you want, you can edit them in gMax, send me the .3ds, and i can convert them in t .cas, if we're gonna modify the models, and not make our own from scratch (though, I say make them from scratch, but copy them off other models - i.e. model everything ourselves, but look at CA models for ideas on shapes of body etc)

Myrddraal
12-15-2004, 09:21
Sure, with one exception. I used the barbarian skirmisher for the Aiel. Its nearly perfect, I just need to get rid of their braids and add about a foot of steel to their spears.

Myrddraal
12-16-2004, 13:17
Calling all WoT fans, VOTE FOUNDRY! in the poll for the name of this forumn

VOTE! (https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=41026)

I'm doing all this campaigning because at the moment Officina or something like that is winning, and I find foundry to be much better! This is the place where mod are founded,

Myrddraal
12-16-2004, 20:14
@NaeBlis,

Could I have the barbarian skirmisher model, the one I would like is called unit_warband_peltast_german_high.cas

Thx.

@Martini_, please post, even if to say you've done nothing. I'd like to get some idea of progress...

Martini_
12-17-2004, 04:38
Eh, keyboard broke down on me. Just convinced my parents that they should let me open my Christmas present early (they had already bought me a new keyboard for Christmas) so now I'm back in action. Sorry for not being able to respond back quicker.

Had finals last week anyway, probably wouldn't have been able to do much more than I did without the keyboard (nothing) I'll investigate tommorrow, as I'm off of work. Hopefully I can find something wrong with the file and have a fix for you before the weekends over, though it might take longer if the bug is harder to find. Who knows.

Once again, sorry for the lack of response on my part.

Myrddraal
12-17-2004, 16:44
Martini_, I have started again on the campmap using DJs template in the hope that I can avoid the error again. I've only just started, and I've already run up against an error.

See my thread about it.

I will hopefully send you a copy of the files later today (GMT time)

Black_Draen
12-19-2004, 00:17
hm, I have read through all the 6 pages and I have to say it looks very interesting.

I have spent about 3 months making a Warcraft III map to WoT (gave temporarily up after a server-split bug), was just searching around at internet when I found this mod. I really haven't got anything to add to the mod (can't paint, model or code) but I probably visit sometimes to give feedback (if it is wanted).

Have you thought anything about the Wonders? Rhuidean and the tower without a opening that Rand and Mat sees in the start of the books (+20 trade income?) Or buildings? Temples would not fit in perfectly since their is not much religion in WoT, except light and dark. Maybe you could have a Illimunators house (not sure about the spelling) that increase happiness?

Mat Cauthon
12-19-2004, 15:20
I love reading wheel of time and this mod looks great! I really cannot do much to help the mod though since I am not very knowledgeable with computers. I have a suggestion for the Aes Sedai though. I think they would make great retinues as in like if you had a Yellow sister she would increase the amount of people healed after a battle kind of like the doctor, a Red sister would help when combating male channelers etc. You could also create historical battles. and include the Aes Sedai there. I'd think it would be best to have the actual campaign not really follow the books but just be sort of setup at the start with all the countries in their locations and then just let what ever happen happen. For the actual book things there are historical battles.

Myrddraal
12-19-2004, 21:00
Its great to see two new people intereste in the mod.

Feedback and suggestions are always welcome, you don't have to be working on a mod to be interested in seeing it done.

We'll definately be including wonders, like maybe the hand on Tremalking and the statue of Arthur Hawking etc.

I'd love to do historical battles too, like maybe the battle for emonds field and stuff. If you have any ideas, feel free to post them.

In the meantime I have some unit descriptions. I'll be uploading them in the updates section of the website. (link in my sig)

NaeBlis
12-20-2004, 01:28
I won't be able to work on any models until I get my laptop - which will probably be around mid/late January, as my computer's now gone to a computer grave (overheating - crappy fans and company I bought it from long liquified).

The Witch-King
12-21-2004, 17:10
Here is a link to some art from the New Spring comic book which is about to be released, inluding some soldiers from various nations. Since this comic has the official seal of approval from RJ, the art may prove useful when making models. :)

http://www.roaringstudios.com/ns/

LacertonisUnis
12-21-2004, 19:20
Look AWESOME guys! I love the wheel of time books... Currently I am on Winter's Heart... I left it at home when I came to Canada. :embarassed: But I am going back today! ~:)

I think that having wonders is a GREAT idea... Cant think of any other ones right now, but adding the topless towers of Cairhein (sp?) would be cool.

I am currently a n00b to modding RTW, but I am making good progress! (Which is slightly hindered by the fact that I am 2,500 MILES AWAY FROM MY COMPUTER)!!!:dizzy2:

But if I was a good modder I would volunteer to help... This mod is gonna be great.

Um... I dont know if this was addressed earlier, I only read the first and last page and just had to register! :bow:

The Three Oaths: Nothing says the warders cant fight! (Does it? Lol...) Actually... It does say they can use it in self-defense, soooo... In a battle, the enemy is trying to kill you, so technically...

IDEA!!! Maybe they can be very rare mercenary units (like elephant mercenaries, but a tad more common)!!! That are more likely to appear in major provinces (the ones with major cities in them... IE Tear, Illian, Cairhein, Andor (omg I forgot the name of andors capital... its been too long lol)... You get it. Also, they should ALWAYS be available near Tar Valon.

Uh oh.. G2G, will post more in aboooooooooooooouuuuut... 8 Hours. Tootles!

CrownOfSwords
12-21-2004, 21:11
Yeah I guess im in charge of concept art, I have all those pictures among with hundreds of other ones ive found on the internet, going work on a concept of the following today: Defenders of the Stone, Queens Guard, Cairhenin Nobles, Illian Companions. SORRY GUYS ive been so busy lately ill have some time freed up soon to start working on this stuff, after I finish that im going To try to assault drawing a Seachan soldier (ACK hard) Most of the Seachan soldier will come straight out of my head, but the others ill use some drawings to help me out a bit. :charge:

NaeBlis
12-21-2004, 23:47
I've discovered something which *might* be hepful in getting 4 turns a year. In the file, "data/descr_geography.txt" the following text is present:

; Climates
; --------

{
season summer
{
texture rock terrain/battlefield/test_climate/summer/oz_medi_rock.tga
texture gravel terrain/battlefield/test_climate/summer/oz_medi_rock.tga
texture sand_caked terrain/battlefield/test_climate/summer/sand.tga
texture sand terrain/battlefield/test_climate/summer/sand.tga
texture sand_blown terrain/battlefield/test_climate/summer/sand.tga
texture dirt terrain/battlefield/test_climate/summer/mud.tga
texture mud terrain/battlefield/test_climate/summer/mud.tga
texture swamp terrain/battlefield/test_climate/summer/mud.tga
texture grass_dry terrain/battlefield/test_climate/summer/oz_medi_grass.tga
texture grass_short terrain/battlefield/test_climate/summer/oz_medi_grass.tga
texture grass_long terrain/battlefield/test_climate/summer/oz_medi_grass1.tga
texture shrub_sparse terrain/battlefield/test_climate/summer/oz_medi_shrub_base.tga
texture shrub_dense terrain/battlefield/test_climate/summer/oz_medi_shrub_base.tga
texture forest_sparse terrain/battlefield/test_climate/summer/oz_medi_forest.tga
texture forest_dense terrain/battlefield/test_climate/summer/oz_medi_forest.tga
texture env_map battlefield/envmaps/grass.dds
}

season winter
{
texture rock terrain/battlefield/test_climate/winter/rock.tga
texture gravel terrain/battlefield/test_climate/winter/rock.tga
texture sand_caked terrain/battlefield/test_climate/winter/sand.tga
texture sand terrain/battlefield/test_climate/winter/sand.tga
texture sand_blown terrain/battlefield/test_climate/winter/sand.tga
texture dirt terrain/battlefield/test_climate/winter/mud.tga
texture mud terrain/battlefield/test_climate/winter/mud.tga
texture swamp terrain/battlefield/test_climate/winter/mud.tga
texture grass_dry terrain/battlefield/test_climate/winter/grass.tga
texture grass_short terrain/battlefield/test_climate/winter/grass.tga
texture grass_long terrain/battlefield/test_climate/winter/grass1.tga
texture shrub_sparse terrain/battlefield/test_climate/winter/shrub_base.tga
texture shrub_dense terrain/battlefield/test_climate/winter/shrub_base.tga
texture forest_sparse terrain/battlefield/test_climate/winter/forest.tga
texture forest_dense terrain/battlefield/test_climate/winter/forest.tga
texture env_map battlefield/envmaps/snow.dds
}

table
{ ; QUAL_NONE QUAL_VERY_LOW QUAL_LOW QUAL_NORMAL QUAL_HIGH QUAL_VERY_HIGH
; --------- ------------- -------- ----------- --------- --------------

SWAMP rock mud swamp swamp grass_short shrub_dense ; . x x . . .
SAND rock sand_caked sand grass_dry shrub_dense forest_dense ; . . x x . .
SOIL rock grass_short grass_long shrub_dense forest_dense forest_dense ; . x . x . x
CLAY dirt grass_long grass_long grass_long forest_dense forest_dense ; x . . x . .
SHALE rock gravel grass_dry grass_long shrub_dense forest_dense ; . x . . . .
ROCK rock gravel grass_dry grass_short grass_short grass_long ; x . . . . .
}

conversion
{
rock ROCK NONE
gravel SHALE VERY_LOW
sand_caked SAND LOW
sand SAND LOW
sand_blown SAND LOW
dirt CLAY NONE
mud SWAMP VERY_LOW
swamp SWAMP LOW
grass_dry SAND NORMAL
grass_short SOIL VERY_LOW
grass_long CLAY NORMAL
shrub_sparse SOIL NORMAL
shrub_dense SOIL NORMAL
forest_sparse SOIL VERY_HIGH
forest_dense SOIL VERY_HIGH
}

generation
{ ; +--Ground--+ +------H Spectrum------+ +---H Noise---+ +------G Spectrum------+ +---G Noise---+
; SGT Hard Qual fade-in median fade-out bias std dev fade-in median fade-out bias std dev
; --- ---- ---- ------- ------ -------- ---- ------- ------- ------ -------- ---- -------

FERTILE_LOW CLAY VERY_LOW 0.0 7 -0.05 0.0 20.0 -0.15 7 -0.15 0.0 1.2
FERTILE_MEDIUM SHALE LOW 0.0 7 -0.1 0.0 15.0 -0.15 7 -0.15 0.0 0.75
FERTILE_HIGH ROCK NORMAL 0.0 7 -0.2 0.0 10.0 -0.15 7 -0.15 0.0 0.5
WILDERNESS ROCK VERY_LOW 0.0 5 0.0 0.0 30.0 -0.15 7 -0.15 0.0 0.8
MOUNTAINS_HIGH SHALE NORMAL 0.0 5 0.0 200.0 250.0 0.0 7 -0.15 0.0 0.5
MOUNTAINS_LOW SHALE NORMAL 0.0 5 0.0 15.0 60.0 0.0 7 -0.15 0.0 0.5
HILLS SAND NORMAL -0.5 7 -0.15 0.0 40.0 -0.07 7 -0.15 0.0 0.8
FOREST_DENSE SOIL NORMAL 0.0 5 0.0 0.0 10.0 -0.15 7 -0.15 0.0 0.7
FOREST_SPARSE SHALE NORMAL 0.0 5 0.0 0.0 10.0 -0.15 7 -0.15 0.0 0.7
SWAMP SWAMP NORMAL 0.0 5 0.0 0.0 2.0 0.0 7 -0.15 0.0 0.5
OCEAN SAND NORMAL 0.0 5 0.0 -6.0 2.0 0.0 7 -0.15 0.0 0.5
SEA_DEEP SAND NORMAL 0.0 5 0.0 -4.0 2.0 0.0 7 -0.15 0.0 0.2
SEA_SHALLOW SAND NORMAL 0.0 5 0.0 0.0 2.0 0.0 7 -0.15 0.0 0.2
BEACH SAND LOW 0.0 5 0.0 0.0 2.0 0.0 7 -0.15 0.0 0.3
}
}

And in the file "data/text/shared" the following text, which shows that there might have been 4 seasons at one point in the game:

{ST_WINTER} Winter
{ST_SPRING} Spring
{ST_SUMMER} Summer
{ST_AUTUMN} Autumn

I can't test any of this, so if anyone could, that would be great.

Myrddraal
12-22-2004, 19:11
Apparently, if you set the season to either spring or autumn, the game doesn't crash, it just goes back to summer or winter. I haven't got time to test it, I'm still stuck on the campmap, if you see my thread, I think u'll understand. Can I send a copy of the files to someone, I think it might be a problem on the comp. See if the files work for someone else.

Myrddraal
12-23-2004, 16:56
This is getting infuriating. Can I send to one of you guys, a copy of map_heights and map_regions. Then can you please download DJs template map, and add these two files and see if it works on your comp. I would send the files as bmps as I think I am saving the files wrong.

In the meantime, although I can't work the map_heights, I can edit regions and I am working on that now. Keep up the work guys, good luck.

Myrddraal
12-26-2004, 15:14
~:santa::santa2::santa::santa3:

Merry Christmas,

I'm currently working out the map features, like forests, mountain passes and rivers and bridges, though I can't implement them yet because of the same old error, any volunteers to test the files?

I also did some work on a knight model, could be a queens guard, could be anything really, I'm not very good, so the model is more of a practice than something to be released, I hope to get better.

NaeBlis
12-26-2004, 23:35
I'll be getting my laptop in less than 1 month (mid-late Jan, hopefully), so I can start working on models then.

Sorry about delay...

CrownOfSwords
12-28-2004, 05:05
Im doing my drawings right now, not sure on some of the colors of like Tairen and Cairhenin specially so, just keep in mind the colors can be switched around.

Myrddraal
12-28-2004, 15:19
I'll be uploading a little flash thing I made later, hope you like it, check out the website updates section. I still need someone to see if its my comp thats saving the files wrong.

Myrddraal
12-30-2004, 18:20
Sorry about the lack of flash thing, I'll tell you, its a map with the different layers. Its just to work out where everything goes.

From it I have currenly worked out a final version of map_regions.tga, map_features.tga, and I have nearly finished map_heights.tga. Its all looking good, hopefully I'll upload it in a day or two.

I still can't test these files yet, but Mr Hides map editor does open them, so I'm stuck.

Myrddraal
12-31-2004, 13:26
Sorry about the third post in a row, just to keep you updated, I have now finished map_heights.tga, map_regions.tga, map_features.tga and am working on map_ground_types.tga. But I still have this problem.

When I open up all the files in Mr Hides editor, they appear upsidedown. At first I found this confusing, it led me to think PSP was saving in a slightly different format. When I then save using Mr Hides editor and open up in PSP, the files are the right way up again, but should I edit them, they flip upsidedown.

So I thought that PSP saved wrongly, so I opened in the editor, then moved the files out of the folder, then saved. The new files, as saved purely by the editor appeared.

But rome still opens the base heights. What can I do. please can someone accept for me to send them the files, just to see if its my computer. I can think of no other solution.

Myrddraal
01-05-2005, 20:50
Sephriel, did the files work? I'm impatient to hear...

Black_Draen
01-05-2005, 22:37
Do you have permission to do the mod? I'm only curious because for example the Starcraft-mod to Warcraft III was not allowed to complete the mod (blizzard, the makers of Starcraft) stopped it.

I maybe can do some pictures (fractions banners and alike), have you done anything about them yet? Do you know what format they should be in? I can maybe also try to do some sounds to the trollocks. What different sounds do they need?

Myrddraal
01-07-2005, 10:32
Update, I finally managed to upload the thing, but the link on the site is broken, here is a fixed one:

WoT flash map (http://82.68.81.226/david/WoT%20for%20Rome/StratMapPlan.html)

@Black_Draen, to be quite honest, I haven't thought about sounds yet, but if you could do the faction banners, that would be great. I'll post a list of the RGB values I was thinking of for the nations.

Thx a lot for all your help, I'm kind of stuck until I know what the results of Sephriels testing are, so in the meantime I'm doing other things like more towns per province and stuff.

Black_Draen
01-07-2005, 21:02
As I wrote in the previous post I suggest you try to fix a permission to do the mod (if you haven't got one already) from the company that sells the books.
Otherwise they'll just come and forbid the mod when its starting to get good.

When I meant banners I meant the different symbols, I don't think I can fix the 3D-models in the campaign-map. I'm afraid I have little to none knowledge in 3D-modeling.

I have photoshop and The World of The Wheel of Time here so I'll get started as soon as you say "go" ~:)

Myrddraal
01-08-2005, 12:16
I say go. Thats what I meant about banners, don't worry about the format, whatever you do I can convert.

If you would, you could start off with the faction symbols, the round ones.

As for permission, I'm not sure who to go to, there are two companies that publish the books aren't there? Tor and Orbit.

Black_Draen
01-08-2005, 13:34
I believe it's Tor that you should ask, I even believe I have a e-mail somewhere around... I'll ask a friend if he remembers their mail.

I have fixed Saldeas faction symbol, I took help from the book mentioned above (again problem with rights to the pics) but I belive my version is enough different.

Can you check if it's ok before I go on with the others? Do you have a mail-adress I can mail it to. It's 65 kb.

Myrddraal
01-11-2005, 11:20
Please please please if anyone is interested in this mod, can someone help me

All I want is someone to get the files, convert one file from a bmp to a tga, run the game and tell me if they get an error, and what it is.

I sent the files to Sephriel, but I can't contact him.

This will only take 5 minutes, and until it is done I'm stuck...

Black_Draen
01-11-2005, 16:44
I can try it, but I'm not sure about what I should do.

Just paste in your files and replace the old Rome-files and then see if it's a error when I run it?

btw; do you have a mail I can send the symbol of Saldea to?

Orb
01-11-2005, 19:11
I've just got Rome and have only started modding two days ago (and therefore I am terrible). I've read up to the "Crossroads of Twilight in the WoT series and love the books. I'd like to help, in any way I can. I think that it's be a great idea. If no one has already thought of this then perhaps Aes Sedai could be mercenaries. If not then you should let good factions get Green Ajah (Have Warders) and evil factions get Black Ajah (no warders but stronger attack. Bye.

Thedevil003
01-11-2005, 22:20
Sorry for the delay. Here's the unit in game, and a render for the unit card that I threw together (the final will be better). Like I said teh render is terrible, but it's jsut a wip. Also, the black will be gone in the final.
In game:
http://img45.exs.cx/img45/6904/wotunit11hq.jpg

Myrddraal
01-12-2005, 09:54
Thx Devil, any pose will do so long as its natural. Again many thx, the Aiel are finally finished.

Draen, I'm pretty sure I PMd you with an email adress.

Thanks Orb, any support is very welcome.

Don't worry about the help message, someone has already offered. Thanks anyway though Draen.

Hopefully I'll have some results of my work to show you soon.

Duke John
01-12-2005, 10:35
Myrddraal
You didn't include the following files:
descr_regions_and_settlement_name_lookup.txt
disasters.tga

You added a new province called tear2, but it is causing problems. Might be because descr_regions_and_settlement_name_lookup.txt is missing.

I saved the BMPs as TGAs and as far I know they save correctly. And they should as I have already made quite a few campaignmap versions.

At the moment I cannot help you since apparently you didn't gave me all the files.

Myrddraal
01-12-2005, 10:41
Sorry about that, I forgot about adding that province. I'll send you the files as soon as pos.

Orb
01-12-2005, 12:18
You could use Aes Sedai quarters instead of temples.
All Ajah quarters of 2nd level allow standard accepted (no warders)

Green Ajah - Bonus to valour, small bonus to law, 3rd level quarters allow Green Ajah Aes Sedai (have warders and are more powerful)

Red Ajah- Large bonus to law, bonus to valor of Accepted only.

Blue Ajah- Bonus to income, small bonus to law, bonus to skill of spies.

Grey Ajah- Large bonus to law, bonus to influence of diplomats.

Yellow Ajah- Small bonus to law, bonus to health, improves chances of soldier recovery.

Brown Ajah- Small bonus to law, bonus to trade.

White Ajah- Small bonus to law, bonus to tax income.

Black Ajah- Small bonus to law, bonus to skill of spies and assassins, 3rd level quarters allow Black Ajah Aes Sedai (more powerful, hide anywhere)

Quarters of the Light- (children of the light) Large bonus to law, 1st level quarters allow training of basic Whitecloak. 3rd level quarters allow training of Whitecloak Inquisitors.

Sul'dam Quarters- 2nd level quarters allow training of Damane. Small bonus to law, bonus to valour.

Asha'man Quarters- 2nd level quarters allow training of Asha'man. Small bonus to law, bonus to valour.

Darkfriend Quarters- 3rd level quarters allow training of Black Ajah. Grants a large bonus to law and a bonus to valour.

These are just ideas. I thought that it would be good to allow this if Aes Sedai effectively replace onagers or scorpions. The whitecloak inquisitor could be an agent like the Medieval Inquisitor (but has a small chance of dying).

Myrddraal
01-12-2005, 13:34
I like that idea, exept children of the light should be built at a barracks. Otherwise, if everyone else is OK, this is the system we will use in the final version

Black_Draen
01-12-2005, 17:45
Sorry Myddraal, didn't saw your message.

Was anyone making drawings to the mod? (Crown_of_swords?) Could be great to have some nice pictures as loading screen.

Otherwise (if none is making pictures) we could always take contact with someone that do drawings for Wheel of Time at Elfwood (http://www.elfwood.com) - maybe we could borrow some pictures?

CrownOfSwords
01-12-2005, 19:04
I have no way to get my artwork onto the computers now.. back to paint if you still want those type of artworks? K going to class ill check back later.

The Witch-King
01-12-2005, 19:09
Hmmm, Aes Sedai quarters in every country? While Aes Sedai did fight with armies during the Trolloc Wars they were always under the command of the Tower only. Besides, Aes Sedai tend to be rather reclusive and tend to avoid mingling with the non-channeling proles. And Darkfriend shrines? I fail to see why they'd bring order in cities. Darkfriends tend to disrupt order and are always in hiding. So what we have here is a Quarters with servants dedicated to the Lord of Chaos and who have conceal their presence because they'd be executed on the spot if caught and could therefore never provide a happiness bonus to the normal population, because the normal population would walk in the Light. Of course, if the DF shrines are only buildable by the shadow you can forget what I said. :p Some ideas of my own:

The Shadow: There seems to be some kind of cult surrounding Ishamael, so a shrine to Ba'alzamon would seem to be a logical choice. Notice how all the Trollocs and Myrddraal grovelled during the DF social in the Great Hunt.

You could also make another building give out order/happiness bonuses, like an townwatch for example and use the upgrades from MTW (Town watch, town militia, county militia etc.) to provide additinal order bonuses and the occasional unit while taverns and inns provide happiness. Maybe an Illuminator's Guildhouse to give some extra happiness like Colloseums and the amount of fireworks displays could be changeable, like daily, monthly and yearly. This would have the same effect and would probably be closer to the book then chapterhouses of Aes Sedai in each city. :)

Personally I think that the Black ajah should be buildable only by the Shadow, with maybe Dreadlords as an upgrade (like Onagers and Heavy Onagers). Darkfriends should be a lowlevel Shadow unit too (like Eastern Infantry). Cheap arrowfodder for the agents of Chaos. :p

Anyway, you guys are doing great. I'm looking forward to the mod already! :D

Orb
01-12-2005, 20:37
Make it so that only the trollocs and the Dark One can build Black Ajah and Darkfriends' Quarters. The demonstration of the additional power would scare the trollocs into compliance. The reasons for the various quarters being available to all factions is that if they replace onagers then they should be available to everyone else it will unbalance the game. Tar Valon should be capable of producing better types and grant a bonus to valor of accepted and Aes Sedai that are trained there.

Myrddraal
01-12-2005, 21:19
Ah, I didn't get that, I thought that the 'quarters' would only be avaliable to the relevant factions.

Sorry, but I disagree, the Children of the Light should only be recruitable by amadicia, but maybe they should have the right to pass through the lands of those they are closely allied with. And Aes Sedai should only be recruitable by the White Tower and should take like seven years to build (even that is short if you want total realism).

Maybe the Aes Sedai should be a very rare merc in the Borderlands, as they sometimes help out there and its very unlikely that they will be used against anyone apart from the shadow. There is a problem with that which is that if the shadow captured a province, they could then hire Aes Sedai.

Maybe a solution to this could be that the borderlanders (or maybe just some of them) each have a unit of Aes Sedia to start, but otherwise they can only be recruited by Tar Valon.

Remember that although onagers and balistas do not exist, catapaults do, they are used in the Two Rivers to defend Emonds Field.

As for Baalzamon, he would be the starting NaeBlis (Senate), and the way to win for the shadow factions is to become NaeBlis, hold Shayol Ghul, and take 50 provinces (i.e. most of the world). And for the good faction, to kill the NaeBlis, take Shayol Ghul and most of the world.

Orb
01-12-2005, 21:46
I had forgotten about the catapults. I thought that if no other siege equipment is available then it would have to be available to all factions. if there are catapults then only relevant factions should have the capability to train Aes Sedai. If Aes Sedai were the only form of long range siege weapon then most factions would need them or sieges against good walls would be pretty much impossible. Maybe Shayol Gul could hand out Myrdraal or Black Sisters as rewards (instead of legionary 1st cohort).

NaeBlis
01-13-2005, 00:01
Everyone wants to be me! =D.

Good News! I'll be getting my laptop in about 3-4 weeks, so I'll be able to start then.

Also, since Devil seems to be able to model the units (WAY better than me as well), I'll do the buildings, and I'll give the terrain a shot, if needed (If its like Dungeon Siege, then it's gonna be difficult to start, as it uses little pieces like a jigsaw puzzle, but once started its easy going).

On the discussion of the Aes Sedai - one their oaths prevents them from fighting anyone except the shadow. In which case, perhaps instead of "Aes Sedai", you could have "Wilders" (think thats the term). Have everyone allied to the Aes Sedai (think this has already been mentioned). This way, people wouldn't attack the Aes Sedai, and if they did, the Aes Sedai could fight in self-defence, which is allowed by the Three Oaths.

Thedevil003
01-13-2005, 03:27
Here's an updated render shot.
http://img69.exs.cx/img69/8772/wotfrontback2wg.th.jpg (http://img69.exs.cx/my.php?loc=img69&image=wotfrontback2wg.jpg)
If you like his position, than I'll turn him into a unit card.
Also, what unit would you like me to start on, that is if I am on the team.

Orb
01-13-2005, 12:57
The Whitecloaks should be at war with the Aes Sedai. I can never seem to get any units that I make use the names I want them to use. It just calls them "unlocalised placement text". ~:confused: I have no idea how to fix this. How would the Ogier 'Ways' work (I think that's the name but I have'nt read the books again for a while) maybe you could have timed incursions by Shayol Gul. I.e a group of trollocs backed by myrdraal appear in the area and are given to one of the trolloc clans. This would also stop the nations away from the borderlands from getting too powerful too quickly.

Thedevil003
01-13-2005, 13:14
The Whitecloaks should be at war with the Aes Sedai. I can never seem to get any units that I make use the names I want them to use. It just calls them "unlocalised placement text".
Try descr_unit_enums, or putting the text at the bottom of export_unit.

Myrddraal
01-13-2005, 13:59
@NaeBlis, That model is the gaul skirmisher model. I noticed how well it suited the Aiel and used it. Doing the buildings is a good idea. Maybe the modeling practice will make you good enough to do units. ~;)

@TheDevil, thanks a lot, those are great. Do you want to be an 'official member'? Did you get the sprites for the Aiel? The ones which are used for units in the distance. I couldn't do the alpha for them either.

@Orb I don't think they ways should be included. Neither should travelling. Its too hard to implement

Announcement

I have a working campaign map! Many many thanks go to Duke John who helped me out. I will be posting screenies soon.

I have also admited Black_Draen to the team.

Myrddraal
01-13-2005, 14:19
http://82.68.81.226/david/WoT%20for%20Rome/Tremalking.jpg

:charge:

There is my first campaign map. Obviously still needs a lot of work, but it works.

My first question is: What do you think of the scale. Personally, I think the bigger the better. We can alway add movement points, and I think that on the current RTW map, there is not enough strategy on the map. Its all based around the towns. I think the best way to do this is put bigger gaps between towns. You can also get an idea of regions by looking at radar.

Now my plan is this. I will send a copy of the files (post here to tell me your prefered format bmp or tga) to all members of our team. Then we can all edit different bits of it. Send it all back to me and I will compile them.

Myrddraal ~:)

Black_Draen
01-13-2005, 23:06
Nice map Myrdraal, great work! :)

I guess you mean the whole mod when you talk about the files? I can fix the loading_screen and menu (if it's not fixed already). Working on the fractions symbols right now.

I need to know what colours every fraction is to have so I can fix the right background colour to the symbols.

Please tell me if I have forgotten any fractions, I inlcuded some own suggestions for colours but I'm not sure if it's possible to change them for example the Roman fractions.

======================
Tarabon (orange - Scythia?)
Andor (red - Julie?)
Tear (yellow - Greek?)
Amadicia (white - Carthage?)
Cairhien (blue - Skjipii?)
Murandy (red - Germania?)
Shienar (blue - Pontus?)
Arafel (?)
Kandor (green - Gaul?)
Saldea (blue - Britons?)
Ghealdan (?)
Illian (?)
Mayene (?)
Altara (blue - Thrace?)
Arad Doman (green - Bruti?)
Mount Doom (black - Macedonians?)
Trollock1 (brown - Dacia?)
Trollock2 (brown - Spain?)
Trollock3 (gray - Seleucids?)
Tar Valon (?)
Aiel (yellow - Egypt?)

Seanchan, Rands Era (?)
People of the Dragon (?)

Bandits - Should I make a new symbol for them?
======================
First symbol, Saldea
http://img136.exs.cx/img136/681/symbol128saldaeajpg9sg.jpg

Thedevil003
01-13-2005, 23:27
Do you want to be an 'official member'? Did you get the sprites for the Aiel? The ones which are used for units in the distance. I couldn't do the alpha for them either.

Sure, that would be great. About the sprites, no I haven't checked them out yet, though I will later. Anyway, I think we should begin our work on the basic units, than move to faction specific units. Could you just give a little info on each of the basic units, and either post it here or email it so I can begin work. All I need is the color scheme and other basic info, like type of amour (plate, chain...) and both weapon and shields type/size (long sword, short dagger...) Thanks.

Myrddraal
01-14-2005, 12:06
Ok, Devil, I will do those descriptions. I will probably post them on the website. (By the way, if any of you want to put something up, just email it to me)

@Draen: Here are the faction colours I used in MTW. Based on the flag colours:

//Tear (Gold, Red) Banner=Three white crescent moons slanting acros a field half red, half gold
SetFactionCol:: FN_GERMAN_HRE 255 215 55 255 0 0
//Andor (Bright Red, White) Banner=White lion on field of bright red
SetFactionCol:: FN_01 255 0 0 255 255 255
//Saldea (Dark Blue, Grey) Banner=Three silver fish on a field of dark blue
SetFactionCol:: FN_02 0 0 110 202 202 202
//Kandor (Pale Green, Red) Banner=A rearing red horse on a field of pale green
SetFactionCol:: FN_03 1 229 87 255 0 0
//Shienar (Blue, White) Banner=Swooping Black Hawk on field of three blue and two white horizontal stripes
SetFactionCol:: FN_04 0 0 255 255 255 255
//Arad Doman (Green, Blue) Banner=Asliver hand grasping a silver sword by the blade, point down, on a field of four green and three blue horizontal stripes
SetFactionCol:: FN_05 0 128 0 0 0 255
//Tar Valon (Cream, White) Banner=Flame of Tar Valon centered in a spiral of seven colours (from top centre: Blue, Green, White, Gray, Yellow, Red)
SetFactionCol:: FN_06 255 250 165 255 255 255
//The Shadow (Black, Black) Banner=? (A raven?)
SetFactionCol:: FN_07 0 0 0 0 0 0
//Cairhein (Light Blue, Yellow) Banner=A many rayed golden sun rising on a field of blue
SetFactionCol:: FN_08 150 190 255 255 215 55
//Amadicia (White, White) Banner=Golden sunburst on field of white
SetFactionCol:: FN_09 255 255 255 255 255 255
//Arafel (Light Red, white) Banner=Three white roses on a field of red quartered with three red roses on a field of white
SetFactionCol:: FN_10 255 95 66 255 255 255
//Illian (Dark Green, Yellow) Banner=9 Golden Bees on a field of dark Green
SetFactionCol:: FN_11 0 85 0 255 255 255
//Altara (Blue, Red) Banner=Two golden leopards, one above the other on a field checked four by four in red and blue, top left=red.
SetFactionCol:: FN_12 0 0 235 255 0 0
//Tarabon (Bright Yellow, Red) Banner=A golden tree with a thick bole and spreading braches balanced by roots below on a field vertically striped red and white
SetFactionCol:: FN_13 255 255 0 255 0 0
//Ghealdan (Silver, Red) Three silver stars arranged one above the two below on a field of red
SetFactionCol:: FN_14 192 192 192 255 0 0
//Murandy (Purply Blue, White)
SetFactionCol:: FN_15 128 0 255 255 255 255
//Mayene (Deep Red, Deep Red)
SetFactionCol:: FN_16 128 0 0 128 0 0
//Sea Folk (Bluey Green, Blue)
SetFactionCol:: FN_17 0 174 100 255 255 255

Andreas
01-14-2005, 20:22
Hmm I've read the book a couple (+5 at least...) and thought I might be able to give some feedback. I might also be able to help with the unit descriptions, if you haven't done them already, for the prev. project... Anyway, here's my thoughts on some I've read...

Sorry, but I disagree, the Children of the Light should only be recruitable by amadicia, but maybe they should have the right to pass through the lands of those they are closely allied with. And Aes Sedai should only be recruitable by the White Tower and should take like seven years to build (even that is short if you want total realism).

I agree with that, since they are the real army of amadica... Will you use the sun, or the banner for amadica as symbol for them by the way?

Maybe the Aes Sedai should be a very rare merc in the Borderlands, as they sometimes help out there and its very unlikely that they will be used against anyone apart from the shadow. There is a problem with that which is that if the shadow captured a province, they could then hire Aes Sedai.

Mm not merc, it would be... wrong. You don't pay Aes Sedai to help you.

Maybe a solution to this could be that the borderlanders (or maybe just some of them) each have a unit of Aes Sedia to start, but otherwise they can only be recruited by Tar Valon.

That sounds good though.

Remember that although onagers and balistas do not exist, catapaults do, they are used in the Two Rivers to defend Emonds Field.

And they are talked about by Mat and Lan, and so are miners, which is the same as sap points... There are ballistas too, at least in rand era, it's constructed by... whats her name, the head of the academys Imhren? and used against the aiel at the shaido battle.

As for Baalzamon, he would be the starting NaeBlis (Senate), and the way to win for the shadow factions is to become NaeBlis, hold Shayol Ghul, and take 50 provinces (i.e. most of the world). And for the good faction, to kill the NaeBlis, take Shayol Ghul and most of the world.
Thats good, no dark one. And the NaesBlis banner should be all black.

Anyway, as I said Id like to help you, I'm not capable of modding, but in facts and so on I can much... And maybe do some symbols, I'm good at photoshopping.

Thedevil003
01-15-2005, 00:31
Here is a wip Ghealdan banner. I have to touch it up, but I'm mostly finished, mostly reposition the stars slightly and add a little more contrast around the edges, expect it done by tomorrow.
WIP Ghealdan banner:
http://img150.exs.cx/img150/9727/lightredsilverstar2do.jpg

Andreas
01-15-2005, 10:06
Hmm noticed now that you' already done some unit descriptions, but maybe I can help you with the rest... About the Two River peasants, remember that they have some drawbacks, like being poor equipped, even if better then the normal peasants... and their order isn't very good, but don't know how that might be shown... not by drawing moral down, since their stubbornness makes for that...

Anyway, as I said, if you want I could help you with unit descriptions, especially the aiel. And I could provide sayinghs to replace the quotes at the loading screens.

CrownOfSwords
01-15-2005, 10:47
Just been reading the series again possibly up to the 20th time, I dont know where to stand with Aes Sedai, I dont believe any country besides Tar Valon would have them, but I also think that they shouldnt even be in the game until a certain point in the Rand era. They should just be completely left out because they dont do battle.. Maybe family units can get certain types of Aes Sedai advisors like Green can give a boost to a warlike attribute. Giving Aes Sedai to Tar Valon early on would just be a blood bath for all the other nations no chance, no they shouldnt be in the game until atleast Rand era when there are Damane, Asha'man, Wiseones, Windfinders and Dreadlords to counter them. I was thinking about how to run the shadow faction also, and since we do not know how the last battle and shai'tan is going to be played I think the Shadows king should be renamed Nae'Blis and family members simply Forsaken.

Nice job with the campaign map, its possible to fix the campaign map bar so it doesnt show Europe right? Im back and ready to work give me any unit descriptions you would like my input on. Or if you can use the paint drawings give me units you want me to draw, I have a idea for Companions since they are possibly the most underdescribed and underdrawn unit in the books. Thinking a Roman general style helmet all silver with a plume with silver breast plates, gaunts and leg bracers, ive been looking in the book what is the color of the companions I picture them wearing green cloaks...

Men of Two Rivers are definately alot better than militia, and by the end of the last book that is out I would place them against any other than an elite unit. As it is said the blood of Manetheren runs strong in Two Rivers blood, dont discredit them at all, undisciplined is plain wrong most the men were trained by Tam, they should have really high moral.

If you have problems with any other ideas myd tell me.

Myrddraal
01-15-2005, 12:11
I posted earlier

I was thinking about factions, and came up with this:

Macedon ---> Arafel
Seleucid ---> Kandor
Numidia ---> Saldea
Carthage ---> Malkier
Parhia ---> Andor
Scythia ---> Tear
Germans ---> Cairhien
Gauls ---> Illian
Britons ---> Altara
Dacians ---> Arad Doman
Armenia ---> Aiel
Pontus ---> Tarabon
Spain ---> Ghealdan
Thrace ---> Tar Valon

The nation I missed out are:

Murandy
Mayene
The Sea Folk

Its a shame not to have them, but what else can we do? These nations will have to be rebel.

For Rand Era:

Macedon ---> Arafel
Seleucid ---> Kandor
Numidia ---> Saldea
Carthage ---> Seanchan
Parhia ---> Andor
Scythia ---> People of the Dragon (inlcudes Aiel and Tear)
Germans ---> Cairhien
Gauls ---> Illian
Britons ---> Altara
Dacians ---> Arad Doman
Armenia ---> The Shaido
Pontus ---> Tarabon
Spain ---> The Prophet
Thrace ---> Tar Valon

Here I have have changed Malkiere to the Seanchan, Tear to the People of the Dragon, the Aiel to the Shaido and Ghealdan to the forces of The Prophet.

The Key point here is that Murandy/Mayene/Sea Folk would have to be rebels. I know that sometimes rebels have different symbols. Would it be possible to give the rebels in Murandy and Mayene the right flags?

The choice of factions is because Murandy is mostly not controlled by the king, they are just a bunch of lords who group together so that they don't get absorbed by another nation, and spend most of their time fighting each other. Mayene and the Sea Folk simply because they are so small.

There are still plenty of descriptions to do for those who want to. They should be in the same style as the existing ones.

The europe on radar is only because I haven't got round to that yet. The radar image can be whatever you want.

Its a shame you can't get your sketches on computer, even if they aren't very good, I wasn't expecting a master artist to join the mod ~;)

TheDevil: Can you model? I get the impression that you can from the post before last. Assuming you can, here is the team as I understand it:

Team leader: Me - Mryddraal ~;)
Sephriel
CrownOfSwords
NaeBlis
TheDevil003
_Martini (Though I haven't seen many posts from here)
Black_Draen

Jobs:

Research/Background Info/Concepts
All the team

3D Graphics Artists:
NaeBlis - Building/Unit Models
TheDevil003 - Unit Models

2D Graphics Artists:
CrownOfSwords - Concept artwork
Black_Draen - Textures: Flags Symbols Loading Screens
TheDevil003 - Textures: Flags Symbols
Myrddraal - Unit Skins/Camaign map textures/Interface symbols (buttons scrolls)

Campaign Map Editing
Myrddraal
Hopefully all the team will contribute their ideas

Scripters/Text File editors
Myrddraal
Who else?

General Help
Sephriel
_Martini

This is only a preliminary list, you guys tell me what you want to do.

Andreas
01-15-2005, 12:34
Nice job with the campaign map, its possible to fix the campaign map bar so it doesnt show Europe right? Im back and ready to work give me any unit descriptions you would like my input on. Or if you can use the paint drawings give me units you want me to draw, I have a idea for Companions since they are possibly the most underdescribed and underdrawn unit in the books. Thinking a Roman general style helmet all silver with a plume with silver breast plates, gaunts and leg bracers, ive been looking in the book what is the color of the companions I picture them wearing green cloaks...

Mm this sounds pretty good, they are'nt really described as you say, not even in BWB... Probably they have some golden details, at least the officers since gold is one of the Illian colors.

Men of Two Rivers are definately alot better than militia, and by the end of the last book that is out I would place them against any other than an elite unit. As it is said the blood of Manetheren runs strong in Two Rivers blood, dont discredit them at all, undisciplined is plain wrong most the men were trained by Tam, they should have really high moral.

I said they should have high moral, yes. Put they must have some kind of drawback since they never were trained in a real way, many of them are old, and they do not really like takeing orders (remember that they didn't like Tam's way of giving them orders). They should be elite milita, not eilte infantery. In class with the normal soldiers, but not in class with the best. The bowmen on the other hand, they should be among the best, counting firespeed. They should be equal to the Legion.

Myrddraal:
Maybe the Marandians should be splitted inte lugardian rebels, and so on since that mostly what they are? And the mayeners and the sea folk could be included in the dragon forces in Rand era.

Got some thoughts on you aiel unit list, among that what you asked for (Knife Hands and Dawn RUnners... Do you want it?

Myrddraal
01-15-2005, 12:38
Yes pls

JR-
01-15-2005, 12:39
what happened to the plan to make the senate Naeblis?

would it be possible to have Aesedai show up as an AI ally only when fighting battles against a roman faction (trolloc clan/naeblis)?

Andreas
01-15-2005, 12:41
Yes pls
Ok... here we go:
Original Aiel list.
Clan Chiefs Guard
True Bloods(Archers)
(No idea what to do with the two left...Maybe an elite aiel unit?)

And my thoughts:
Dawn Runners: Give them the role that the water seekers have now, and in the rand era you let the water seekers take the role that Far Dares Mai has, since they should be the body guard of Rand, and I guess for all commanders of the Forces of the Dragon… Not People, since the Aiel are the people of the dragon, not the tairens or Myeners (which I think should be included in this coalition). And all aiel are elite. Does that sound good?

Corrections in the other roles, in my opinion:

Clan Chiefs Guard (Removed in the Rand Era)
Red Shields (Light Infantry) – this is ok… should give a law improvement too, since they are the aiel police.
Thunder Walkers (Medium Infantry) Switched place with the stone dogs. A stone dog never drawback, and I think it’s Ingtar who says their charge is almost impossible to stop.
Far Dareis Mai (Heavy Aiel - like scouts – Rand Era body guards) See my notes above. Should be heavy too give them the fierceness of aiel women touch :)
Stone Dogs (Heavy Infantry) Look at the thunder walkers
Water Seekers (Light Aiel - like scouts) Replace the Far Dares Mai.
True Bloods (Heavy Skirmishers) Switched with the archer thingys.
Brothers of the Eagle (Heavy Archers) I just think that eagle gives an impression of archers…
Night Spears (Maybe like Night Raiders with a frighten enemy option?) All aiel frightens the enemy, put you shouldn’t have it as a feature. Give them the hide everywhere option instead, and make their stats be like that of the Thunder walkers.
Black Eyes (Archers) Can’t see very good with black eyes can you?
Dawn Runners (Light Skirmishers) See above.
Knife Hands: Let the knife hands be the aiel assassins?

Most of the Orders we don’t know very much about I just looked at the name instead of just random class, which I assumed the prev. roles were. Sorry if was wrong:) Anyway, some of these changes are important for the mod to be as it’s described in the book, and with that mean the Stone Dogs.

And on the aiel otherwise… They should look almost the same, all if them. Should also be able to hide in long grass. Good stamina. What I fear is that they will be much overpowered, so you must like give them a high price.

Forces of the Dragon (These include the Aiel and Tairens (Mayne?) in the Rand era) (name change explanation above).

Asha'man (Mounted & Dismounted)
Wise Ones-(Rand era, never fought before dumai wells)
Legion of the Dragon (Heavy Crossbowmen with good swords fighting skills also) No sword skills, remember that they always draw back, avoiding hand-to-hand battle. Let the red hand be the normal foot unit.
Band of the Red Hand (Mounted & Dismounted) Pikes and cavalry

Thats at least have think it could be done.

Thedevil003
01-15-2005, 12:43
would it be possible to have Aesedai show up as an AI ally only when fighting battles against a roman faction (trolloc clan/naeblis)?
No, I don't belive thats possible.

Myrddraal
01-15-2005, 12:54
what happened to the plan to make the senate Naeblis?

Its official, thats how its going to be. I can't remember who suggested it (was it you?), but it was a brilliant idea. Its perfect: The Shadow factions all sceme to become NaeBlis and conquer the world and so win the game, and the Good factions have to kill the NaeBlis and conquer the world.

Myrddraal
01-15-2005, 13:08
I just read that you suggested giving them the hide anywhere option. I think that all aiel should have that ability. Any aielman can hide from a wetlander, and as the Aiel are a unified nation in the mod, they don't need to hide from each other.

Andreas
01-15-2005, 13:22
I just read that you suggested giving them the hide anywhere option. I think that all aiel should have that ability. Any aielman can hide from a wetlander, and as the Aiel are a unified nation in the mod, they don't need to hide from each other.
Mmm I thought that, but I got a feeling that theres a risk of ower-powering the aiel, and to let the other "just" beeing able to hide in long grass would not make them to good. There must be som balancing, otherwise the aiel will be VERY powerful, if you do them as good as they are in the books, where they are the most kickass warriors availible. If there's some way forcing the aiel to alway chose the third (can't remeber the name :embarassed: ) option that you get when going inte a city that would be one way.

What di you think about my other thougts?

Myrddraal
01-15-2005, 13:43
I prefer ur ideas for the Aiel, exept I don't think the Maidens should be heavy.

Also, we could use other factors to change the stats of Aiel. Like Stone Dogs would have awsome moral, having taken an oath never to retreat.

Andreas
01-15-2005, 14:23
I prefer ur ideas for the Aiel, exept I don't think the Maidens should be heavy.

I was a bit uncertain on that point to I must admitt, but I didn't know what to make of them... Just have two light maybe?

Also, we could use other factors to change the stats of Aiel. Like Stone Dogs would have awsome moral, having taken an oath never to retreat.
Mmm I thought of that too, but all aiel really have awesome moral... But stone dogs better then anyone else. But there must be a way to balance the aiel... Price, maybe even if that isn't very "realistic".

I was looking at some of the unit descriptions to, thought of completing the andoran descriptions... But what were your thoughts of the Miners? I thougth that thye might have poor morale (drunkards...), bad against horse but good gainst infantary due to ther preference of fists... is that ok, or did you have other thougts? Did one for the white lions anyway, I can post it to you if you want.

Thedevil003
01-15-2005, 18:33
WIP Cairhein Banner: ( I wasn't sure how you wanted the rays, so that could be modified. And Remember, I'm still touching it up.
http://img140.exs.cx/img140/7971/symbol128cairhein9pr.jpg
Also, do you want the banners when they're finished? And can I have the map? Thanks.

Orb
01-15-2005, 18:40
I agree with the Nae Blis being senate and if noone has suggested this already or it contradicts the books I haven't read then some of the major characters of the books could be retinue members giving bonuses to things like :-
Experience of bodyguard (Lan)
Morale (Mat)
Influence (Berelain)
Command (Davram Bashere)
Management (Moiraine)
etc...

An alternative to the bodyguard of Rand's family members is Asha'man. Far Dareis Mai only guard Rand.

Black_Draen
01-15-2005, 20:27
oh, that was a lot of post the latest day or two, maybe we should get a new forum where we can have several threads? One for graphic, one for units and so on? This can get a bit messy with all interest.

TheDevil, we need to cooperate over the symbols, I have already done three of them. I do them with help of the book "World of Robert Jordan's The Wheel of Time". I take the pictures into the computer with my digital camera and then modify them together with the faction symbols.

Anyway, I've done:
>Amadacia (though it looks a bit crappy atm)
>Saldea
>Andor

I'll do some more this evening or tomorrow, do you have MSN so we can fix a strategy about it? I can't do any 3D-modeling, maybe you can focus on the banners and alike?

I have some suggestions for the Shadow. I would suggest that the first "Trollock Fist" that you can build should be without a Myrddraal, with no moral-bonus (or even poor morale). Maybe at level 2 or 3 you should be able to build a Trollock Fist with Myrddraal (no good name yet, Linked Fist?)

I'll also do some descriptions of the Trollocks (if none have done it already),

Thedevil003
01-15-2005, 20:42
tarabon wip banner:
http://img116.exs.cx/img116/9025/symbol128tarabon4mj.jpg
I went went a pure white instead of white and red becuase I felt it blended better with the golden tree. Also, I could fill the tree if needed, tough I feel it looks good as it is.

TheDevil, we need to cooperate over the symbols, I have already done three of them. I do them with help of the book "World of Robert Jordan's The Wheel of Time". I take the pictures into the computer with my digital camera and then modify them together with the faction symbols.
Smart. That way seems to be easier, I would imagine, than actually texturing each banner, which is what I do. I've done Cairhein, Tarabon and Ghealdan, though I still have to touch them up. I have no real preference though, so just do which ones you want and I'll do the rest.

Black_Draen
01-15-2005, 21:50
ok, nice :)

Can you send the pictures to me so I can put them together in the Symbols-folder? My mail is rosdraenor@hotmail.com.

Andor
http://img110.exs.cx/img110/9311/symbol128andor5sz.jpg

Amadacia
http://img110.exs.cx/img110/4863/symbol128amadacia9iz.jpg

Arad Doman
http://img110.exs.cx/img110/2875/symbol128araddoman0xs.jpg

Thedevil003
01-15-2005, 23:36
Nice job Draen.

Can you send the pictures to me so I can put them together in the Symbols-folder? My mail is rosdraenor@hotmail.com.
I'll send them to you when I finish touching them up and make a few minor changes. And do you want to just finish all of the symbols, bar the ones that I have made? Liek you said, I can then focus on the units. Also, does "World of Robert Jordan's The Wheel of Time" have any information relating the units? Like armour and shield types?

Black_Draen
01-15-2005, 23:58
I can finish the symbols, better that I do what I can in 2D so you can focus on the 3D stuff.

I found some stuff about military, this is what it says about the Children of Light (Amadacia/Whitecloaks), as far as I know most children should be mounted, or?

"The Children of Light, or Whitecloaks, always wear a pure white cloak or tabard over their clothes and armor. The left breast of each has a golden sunburst worked into it." // "All officers' cloaks and tabards are adorned with silver lightning bolt for under-officers and golden stars and knots in increasing quantity to indicate rank.// "Each child is armored witha conical metal helm and breastplate"// "Swords are worn by all childrens"

And about general weapons and armor for infantry:

"Most infantry are armed with pikes, spears, bills or sometimes axes - with the pikemen the most usual."// "In addition to these weapons most footmen carry knives and sometimes even a short-sword. Longer swords are practically unknown amonst the infantry"// "The average footman usually wears a jerkin of padded or studded leather and some sort of helmet. Jerkins covered with metal discs are not uncommon. and mail-shirts are sometimes used - plate armor is very rare."

Myrddraal
01-16-2005, 00:00
I think that tarabon should definately be white and red, not pure white. They are next door to Amadicia and the Children of the Light. Here are some very good illustrations for your research:

Wheel of Time Flags (http://www.radderzeit.de/main/home.php?action=heraldik)

Myrddraal
01-16-2005, 00:06
Devil, I've just got to get this right: Can you model?

Thedevil003
01-16-2005, 00:06
I think that tarabon should definately be white and red, not pure white. They are next door to Amadicia and the Children of the Light. Here are some very good illustrations for your research:
Should I change the tree to? Or just change the backround? Yes I can model, though I won't have to much time over teh next week or two, but after that I shoudl be able to pick up the pace.

Myrddraal
01-16-2005, 00:08
I like the one on page I linked to.

Myrddraal
01-16-2005, 00:11
About getting a sub-forum, I don't think we should apply for one. Maybe later, but not now. As assistant mod, I've discussed this in general and I think we agreed that a mod should show not only signs of interest but also signs of progress. Enough to show that the mod will be quality. I myself am 100% certain of this mods quality, though I think we ought to put together something to show this to the community, to show we deserve the forum, before applying for one.

Myrddraal
01-16-2005, 00:16
Draen, I especially like the domani one, could do with some shading around the edges, but thats just me being picky ~;)

Andreas
01-16-2005, 11:35
Hmm id you want, Myrddraal, I could help you with some of the campaignmap development... I've tested editing it a couple of days now, and it isn't to hard... but thats only if you want me to do it.

How are you going to do with the aiel betwen... they do not use banner....

Orb: An asha'man bodyguard would be to powerful in my opinion... Rand uses the Far Dares Mai to other things then his own safety to (remember that he sent some with Perrin...).