PDA

View Full Version : Unit Stats File

Jagger
09-24-2004, 02:12
Has any found the unit stats file yet? I waded through a huge number of files and never spotted it.

I have to slow this game down. It is like watching the Indianapolis 500. I know I will need to slow down the run/charge speeds. But I also suspect I will have to play with the attack and charge values as well.

So has any one found the stats file>

Thanks

CBR
09-24-2004, 02:28
Name is export_descr_unit.txt I dont know where its located but you can search for it.

But there is nothing about movement speeds there :inquisitive:

Maybe thats in another file located in same folder or CA was just lazy :furious3:

CBR

Jagger
09-24-2004, 03:50
You are right.... :wall: Speeds are not available in the files.....I may have just wasted 140 dollars on a game plus a video card I don't need......

IMO, they really screwed up. The battles are unmanageble due to the lightning speed of the troops combined with fighting that is over in matter of seconds. aggggggggghhhhhhhh.........

Why did they gut the battles?????????????????????? The best part of STW and MTW was the pacing and atmosphere of the battles...now it is gone.

I hope there is some way to salvage this game by modding the speeds and combat values.

I can hope right...

CBR
09-24-2004, 12:59
Well if speed is not available in some other file I must say I find it pretty silly that one of the biggest issues that people had problems with in demo suddenly cant get modded.

Maybe the patch will add some stuff but we cant be sure what they will add. And with the stuff missing so far and current bugs its gonna be a big patch, which could mean that not all we want/need will be there as there is no time for all of it.

CBR

TW_GenghisKhan
09-25-2004, 17:32
Well, I try to mod that export_descr_unit.txt file, it is pretty neat format, but when try to mod and make all Roman general cavalry mount on elephant african, but after modding it, my game directly jump to the end when I start the game.

TosaInu
09-25-2004, 17:47
Well, I try to mod that export_descr_unit.txt file, it is pretty neat format, but when try to mod and make all Roman general cavalry mount on elephant african, but after modding it, my game directly jump to the end when I start the game.

Sounds like something went wrong. May be just a wrong detail in the mod or not possible at all.

https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=36544

I understand this to mean that there are two textfiles. One for each unit and the other for general settings?

It would be a pity if unit speeds isn't available.

khelvan
09-26-2004, 09:10
May I suggest playing with unit hit points rather than attack/charge/defense values at first? It seems to me that to slow the pace down all one would have to do is to double or triple the hit points for each unit - which should not affect play balance all that much, just slow down the kill rates across the board.

Thoros of Myr
09-26-2004, 09:40
Anyone tried some experiments with x2 or x3 health?

Raven2004
09-26-2004, 11:14
Can't you open the .pak files? :book:

Servius
09-28-2004, 17:13
I've read there's a way to mod the speed modifier associated with each type of terrain. So, you can slow stuff down, but it slows every unit down by the same %. What's missing is the ability to change RELATIVE speeds between cavalry and infantry or light cav and heavy cav. What's also missing is the ability to change the relative speeds between marching, running, and charging. CA better put that ability back in. There are TONS of complaints about the speed and fatigue changes. Even for those who like the changes, including the ability to mod these variables doen't negatively affect anyone's enjoyment. That's why this stuff shouldn't be hardcoded. If it's hardcoded, some will think it's too fast, others too slow. If it's modable you can make the game the way you want.

Sid_Quibley
09-28-2004, 17:54
There is an across the board speed modifier ie affects all units proportionately,but can be varied by terrain types.Ill link you to the net then theres a link to twcenter.

Link (http://totalwars.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4150&start=0)

As for kill rates here is a link with a modified export_descr_unit.txt file that slows the hand to hand combat cycle down.

Link (http://totalwars.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4164)

The values altered are the last ones in the lines stat_pri and stat sec.This relates to min delay between attacks.

Its been reasoned that altering hit points will adversely affect missile units by lowering their kills disproportionately.

There is another value in the line stat_pri_armour which may be useful experimenting with.Its the 3rd value and relates to defensive skill but has no effect on missile vulnerabillity.

I would have liked to experiment with these values personally but Im still waiting for a copy of the game.

Thoros of Myr
09-28-2004, 20:24
Yes, HP is not so great of a choice after thinking about it. I've been using that kill rate mod since last night. It made a world of differance coupled with the movement speed mod. Battles have an almost perfect speed and flow now.

Colt374
09-29-2004, 07:52
I noticed in that Unit stats file that each unit has a "Category" and "Class" associated with it.

Category is Cavalry, infantry, Handler etc
Class is Heavy, Light, Missile etc

I suspect that these two labels determine the speed that the unit travels at (for lack of any other indicators in the files, this seems the most obvious conclusion), and thus quite possibly is hardcoded.... The file does say this about these two labels :

Category and class define the rough type of the unit. They're used for setting some default attributes and for determining where units go in formation amongst other things

Setting Default Attributes? Sounds like that could be a hint. Hopefully someone can find some references to these unit categories and classes in some other file that may be linked to speed, as I could not, thus I think they may be hardcoded.

Colt.

khelvan
09-29-2004, 07:56
My question is this - the mod linked to above reduces kill rate because of a reduction in the number of attacks made by hand to hand troops, if I am reading it correctly, yes?

This means that missle units will actually do a greater amount of damage, proportionally speaking, than they did prior to the implementation of the mod.

I don't see how modifying the hit points would adversely affect missle units. It would keep their killing power relative to the killing power of hand to hand units. Unless everyone was suggesting that archers were underpowered, by not slowing down their rate of fire when the melee units have had their rate of attack reduced, aren't we pumping up the value of missle units?

Forgive me if this is a silly question.

Havoc
09-29-2004, 08:54
in the thread at the twcenter most (all?) agreed, that the kill rates of ranged units were quite good (acceptable) and only the other units kill rates had to be decreased...
so the proportions are intentionally altered

there was an earlier version in which all units were changed the same, maybe it is still available, if u want to play it this way

khelvan
09-29-2004, 09:07
Thank you - it isn't about wanting to play a different way, for me. I am thinking that this will be the first game I really mod to a great degree, and the goal would be greater historical accuracy.

I'm trying to get a feel for how effective the missle units actually would be. They seem extremely effective to me.

I know that cavalry was truly secondary in the ancient Roman military, and I am thinking that it may need to be toned down a little bit. I need to consult with my friend who has done more research than I.

The cohorts also had a formation they fell into when attempting to repel a cavalry charge. The first rank would set their pila against the charge, and form a shield wall, with the second rank placing their shields above the wall at an angle, their pila ready at their shoulders.

I am wondering if the "special ability" button can be used for more than one ability - so one could cycle through the tetsudo to get to the above formation, and one they fell into when the situation was desparate, the defensive circle. Has anyone looked into this to see if it might be an option? That is, giving more than one special formation to a unit?