PDA

View Full Version : Slower movement rates : Mod available..

Apollonius
09-26-2004, 16:53
I've been reading post after post concerning the unit speed being much too high (I heartily agree), so I've decided to create a little mod to rectify the situation.

It's being hosted at twcenter, and instead of repeating what I already wrote there, I will just post this link:

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/index.php?act=ST&f=45&t=9703

Any questions, suggestions - just let me know.

This is my first post at the .org (A wonderful site by the way, I've been reading these forums for over a year).. Finally, if this is the wrong place to advertise for a mod I do apologize in advance. ~:wave:

Apollonius

"A gift, though small, is welcome."
- Greek proverb

Duke John
09-26-2004, 16:58
Very well, this will be a blessing for the MP community! :medievalcheers:

Could one of the EH moderators make a copy of this thread for the General forum in the R:TW Dungeon? Apollonius, you will be able to reply in that thread.

Thanks,
Duke John

KukriKhan
09-26-2004, 17:00
And a hearty "Welcome to the Org"! ~:cheers:

We like people bearing gifts. :)

Raven2004
09-26-2004, 19:19
Thanks and welcome!!! :charge:

Kaiser of Arabia
09-26-2004, 20:35
Cool/

Appolonius, wanna join my mod? or silver rushers if he needs you. Check out the threads in my sig/
/Capo/

oblivious maximus
09-27-2004, 04:57
Question to know if possible to mod 2 things as of yet,or options

1. Remove battle radar? 2. Restrict yourself to playing ground level height?

Apollonius
09-27-2004, 05:03
I've made a version of the mod which increases the movement rates by 20%, this might be a good compromise for those of you who thought my original mod made things go a bit too slow.

(Update, This is also posted this in the Entrance Hall)

Steppe Merc
09-27-2004, 21:10
Can you explain how you did it? I already made changes to my game, and don't want anything messing them up...

Apollonius
09-28-2004, 04:22
Steppe Merc :charge: , here's an example of what I've done...

You probably already know which file to edit, but just to rephrase it and make it clear to others, it is the desc_battle_map_movement_modifiers.txt in the /data directory of your R:TW game.

These are the default movement settings for terrain as released by CA.. Note how default movement is pretty much the same for all terrain except forest, ice and snow. These values affect movement rates for all units. (The movement modifiers for individual units/types must be in some other file, or perhaps hardcoded, as has been suggested)

Note the 1.0 for grass_short, etc. - this is the default highest unit rate.

climate default

grass_short 1.0
grass_long 1.0
sand 1.0
rock 1.0
forest_dense 0.75
scrub_dense 1.0
swamp 1.0
mud 1.0
mud_road 1.0
stone_road 1.0
water 0.6
ice 0.5
snow 0.75

My settings are below (This is an example of the faster version of my mod - initially I had cut movement rates in half, then I decided to raise them slightly, since towards the end of battles exhausted units would move akwardly - creating a "treadmill effect", as someone else already mentioned)

climate default

grass_short 0.792
grass_long 0.792
sand 0.792
rock 0.792
forest_dense 0.6
scrub_dense 0.792
swamp 0.792
mud 0.792
mud_road 0.792
stone_road 0.792
water 0.48
ice 0.396
snow 0.5

Anyway, that's all you need to do.. Play with the settings until you find something that suits you. Since movement rates is only part of the problem (for me and some others at least, not the people that think the movement and killing rates are "just fine" and that we should all get used to it); I think I should mention that Adonys at twcenter is working on a mod to decrease the killing rate of units, I've tried it already in a few battles and it's coming along nicely. Here's a link in case you didn't notice Sid Quibley's post about this in the Entrance Hall:

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=9877

Capo, I wouldn't mind helping with your mod - I'm not sure how much time I will have, but still - any extra help is a good thing, right? Just drop me a PM sometime.

Apollonius

"Success isn't how far you got, but the distance you traveled from where you started."
- greek proverb

Thoros of Myr
09-28-2004, 04:33
I think I should mention that Adonys at twcenter is working on a mod to decrease the killing rate of units, I've tried it already in a few battles and it's coming along nicely. Here's a link in case you didn't notice Sid Quibley's post about this in the Entrance Hall:

Capo, I wouldn't mind helping with your mod - I'm not sure how much time I will have, but still - any extra help is a good thing, right? Just drop me a PM sometime.

Apollonius

"Success isn't how far you got, but the distance you traveled from where you started."
- greek proverb

Interesting
:2thumbsup:

Kaiser of Arabia
09-29-2004, 01:26
Steppe Merc :charge: , here's an example of what I've done...

You probably already know which file to edit, but just to rephrase it and make it clear to others, it is the desc_battle_map_movement_modifiers.txt in the /data directory of your R:TW game.

These are the default movement settings for terrain as released by CA.. Note how default movement is pretty much the same for all terrain except forest, ice and snow. These values affect movement rates for all units. (The movement modifiers for individual units/types must be in some other file, or perhaps hardcoded, as has been suggested)

Note the 1.0 for grass_short, etc. - this is the default highest unit rate.

climate default

grass_short 1.0
grass_long 1.0
sand 1.0
rock 1.0
forest_dense 0.75
scrub_dense 1.0
swamp 1.0
mud 1.0
mud_road 1.0
stone_road 1.0
water 0.6
ice 0.5
snow 0.75

My settings are below (This is an example of the faster version of my mod - initially I had cut movement rates in half, then I decided to raise them slightly, since towards the end of battles exhausted units would move akwardly - creating a "treadmill effect", as someone else already mentioned)

climate default

grass_short 0.792
grass_long 0.792
sand 0.792
rock 0.792
forest_dense 0.6
scrub_dense 0.792
swamp 0.792
mud 0.792
mud_road 0.792
stone_road 0.792
water 0.48
ice 0.396
snow 0.5

Anyway, that's all you need to do.. Play with the settings until you find something that suits you. Since movement rates is only part of the problem (for me and some others at least, not the people that think the movement and killing rates are "just fine" and that we should all get used to it); I think I should mention that Adonys at twcenter is working on a mod to decrease the killing rate of units, I've tried it already in a few battles and it's coming along nicely. Here's a link in case you didn't notice Sid Quibley's post about this in the Entrance Hall:

Apollonius

- greek proverb

Your mod doesnt work right with me, i'll re download it though. Probably a messed up dl.

Anyway, i'll pm you later.

Alexander the Pretty Good
09-29-2004, 02:01
But this only changes the speed in regards to the terrain, not the actual units, correct?

I shall try it when I purchase the game, but I hope there is a way (or a patch) to adjust the units' actual speed, and not the terrain effects.

Good work, anyway, Apollonius, and welcome! ~:cheers:

Apollonius
09-29-2004, 23:16
Alexander, I agree with you that changing the speed of individual units would be the best solution - unfortunately no-one has found the file or variables that affect this. There are different classes of units - light, heavy, etc. which seem to have a base movement modifier.

So, until someone figures this out - this is only a pretty good solution to slowing the movement rates down, but not a great one.. ~D

And thank you all for welcoming me to the .org! I've been reading these forums ever since my Shogun days (in other words, for a very long time), and I have always considered it to be the very best resource for quality mods and useful information on the Total War games. Just the fact that these forums are here have increased my enjoyment of the Total War series of games (and certainly their re-playability).

I'm familiar with many of the patrons here, so I'm glad to finally be able to post - and offer something to the community, in my small way.

Apollonius

Apollonius
09-29-2004, 23:18
Note - to everyone who was having problems running the mod, there is a new version up at TW Center, with some slight changes.

camulos
09-30-2004, 18:30
I like the slower movement because i like having time to zoom in and out to watch and enjoy the battle.

A quick question regarding balancing issues though...

Wouldn't reducing the speed of all the units in turn increase the effectiveness of archers simply because the units will be under fire for a longer period of time? Is the effect of this significant enough to even make a difference?

Bolle
10-06-2004, 18:59
does this have any effect on movement on the campaign map too?

Barkhorn1x
10-07-2004, 13:58
does this have any effect on movement on the campaign map too?

NO!

...and the patch kills this mod. :(

Barkhorn.