PDA

View Full Version : Stw Mp

Pages : [1] 2 3

TosaInu
09-26-2004, 19:11
Hello,

It appears that both STW titles can no longer be played on the official server. It's possible to host an alternative one, I received a few PM's about this. Who's interested in playing STW MP?

PaolinoPaperino
09-26-2004, 19:38
Count me between the interested. :bow:

Medieval Assassin
09-26-2004, 20:00
I would, if I could figure out the whole register thing, Im so lame...

Chimpyang
09-27-2004, 17:01
I'll still play, just give me time to be on...

Sasaki Kojiro
09-28-2004, 05:49
ShinIguana is interested.

I'd play too, but I left my CD at home ~:)

TosaInu
09-28-2004, 10:04
I would, if I could figure out the whole register thing, Im so lame...

The official MP register thing is likely down as well. Alternatives will be provided. What you need to do is copy one textfile to the gamedirectory.

I'll still play, just give me time to be on...

Agree, it's probably not a very large group, so it's best to schedule one or more times. It's of little use to wait for 3 hours in an empty foyer. It's better when someone's around to reboot it if necessary.

Perhaps we should host some kind of tourney?

Puzz3D
09-28-2004, 12:39
I'm interested in playing original STW v1.12 or WE/MI v1.03 or v1.05. I'm not interested in playing v1.02. There is also the STW mod for MTW if the stats would get fixed.

PaolinoPaperino
09-28-2004, 13:19
"Perhaps we should host some kind of tourney?"

pls, no. Just games for fun. If there will be a tourney, the "foyer" will be split in 2 groups, who is playing the tourney, and who does not.

About the version to play with, I have no problem to try something that is not the 1.02, just decide if Shogun or WE.
Can be organised to have the server running only during the weekend?

Mithrandir
09-28-2004, 14:11
I'd occasionally play, if it's not too much of a hassle to get online...

Medieval Assassin
09-28-2004, 20:20
I would play, I have WE...

ah_dut
09-28-2004, 22:17
i'm interested but suck at STW and only have WE

Daevorn
10-01-2004, 11:40
i would play, but i've never played online ~:handball:

i have WE

Sasaki Kojiro
10-01-2004, 15:17
Anskar says he's interested.

TosaInu
10-02-2004, 23:40
Hello,

So, we have about 10 people then. We have to decide about STW or WE (stats) and time. I think PaolinoPaperino made a good point too.

There's the SamuraiOnSunday, this may be a good day. It's best to have a narrow window to ensure audience (server can run whole day, but you need people to play ~:)) 3 people say they have only WE, so that skips STW classic. None of the things is very complicated, but I guess we better stick to the 1.02 patched game (no custom stats at first) and ensure everyone manages to get online. Playing online requires STW + MI or STW WE patched to 1.02 beta http://www.totalwar.org/Downloads/STW/patch.shtml . Then you just need to copy a textfile to the STW directory and you're set.

I'll post the textfile to log onto the server tomorrow.

TosaInu
10-03-2004, 10:58
http://212.238.194.39
config file to play STW & STW WE/MI on this server.

The server will be up today starting now. It's configured so people can access it, but I appreciate if someone checks to make sure.

PaolinoPaperino
10-03-2004, 20:15
I'm in Tosa, it's working.
Thx again :bow:

..a bit empty.. :juggle2:

TosaInu
10-03-2004, 20:17
I'll join then. :)

Jochi Khan
10-03-2004, 23:58
Greetings Tosa

Installed the necessary to log onto the server.
Got as far as the ...logging on...page but no further.
Music still playing and screen moving.
That was at 10.30pm GMT.
Maybe the server was not up at that time?

.....Jochi :bow:

I'm in Tosa ~:cheers:
23.35 GMT. Just me on my own but I'm here.

....Jochi

Daevorn
10-04-2004, 17:21
i'm having problems installing shogun...
paolino is helping me, i hope it will be fixed soon

Puzz3D
10-04-2004, 17:26
I tried to join the server about 16:00 GMT, but I think I was too early in the day.

ah_dut
10-05-2004, 16:40
Could some people agree on a time as i'm english and well... don't know what time to be on.. anyways, could someone put apost for when they're online and in GMT thanks

PaolinoPaperino
10-07-2004, 15:21
Hm,
me and other guys from the italian comunity will log on on sunday evening 21 CET=20 GMT.
Hope to meet ya there.

TosaInu
10-10-2004, 11:24
Hello,

The STW server is running now. It will remain online for at least 12 hours from now. Arrange battles with your friends and have fun. PM me or post here when the server has problems.

Chimpyang
10-10-2004, 14:13
Can yougive me an idiotproof walkthrough on how to get on it?

TosaInu
10-10-2004, 14:50
http://212.238.194.39
config file to play STW & STW WE/MI on this server.

Visit that url and download the config files. Just install that in your STW WE root and play MP.

Or open internet.cfg in the STW root directory and replace the content by:

ChatserverIPAddress = 212.238.194.39
ChatserverPort = 8793
NewsserverIPAddress = daphne.eagames.co.uk
NewsserverPort = 8797
ShogunTotalWarWebsite = www.totalwar.com

and play.

Chimpyang
10-10-2004, 15:10
Cheers, i'll do that now..

Jochi Khan
10-10-2004, 20:43
Hello Tosa,

Have been trying to log on to the server for last 1.1/2 hours.
Can only get to the..... logging on.... screen.
Time now is 20.30 BST
Is the server down?

...Jochi

Just noticed times on postings. Looks like the server was ...up...Saturday.
Thought it may have been today (Sunday) :dizzy2:

PaolinoPaperino
10-10-2004, 20:55
Well, now I am in.
almost 22 GMT

TosaInu
10-10-2004, 21:00
Hello Tosa,

Have been trying to log on to the server for last 1.1/2 hours.
Can only get to the..... logging on.... screen.
Time now is 20.30 BST
Is the server down?

...Jochi

Just noticed times on postings. Looks like the server was ...up...Saturday.
Thought it may have been today (Sunday) :dizzy2:

It's up today Jochi, we've played a couple of 2v2, 3v2 and 1v1. All great fun.

Tsugumo Hanshiro
10-12-2004, 03:48
Greetings, i've been lurking this forum and played Shoggy single for a long time now but I just now thought, heck, why not try it out online? The AI doesn't really give me much of a challenge anymore so i'll probably be joining you guys next time the server goes up.

Looking forward to getting a good whopping! ;)

todaswarriors
10-14-2004, 21:34
Moshi Moshi !!

Hehe Maybe i will appear for some Gekido no Tochi here & there :)

Jochi Khan
10-15-2004, 21:52
:charge: :charge: :duel: :duel:

Might have guessed :bow:

Jochi

Togakure
10-16-2004, 01:42
Ishida Hiraga, Anskar Hojo, and I will attempt to access the fakeserver tomorrow and perhaps on Sunday. I have not yet replaced my Internet.cfg file, but it seems a simple task.

I've spoken to others who have made the changes and attempted to log in to the fakeserver. They hang at "Logging In ... ." I'll be in a better position to help them once I've successfully accessed the fakeserver myself, but I've suggested that they tune in here. Hopefully folks will be as helpful as they've ever been.

I have a slow connection but can host 1v1 and 2v2. Anskar has a nice connection and can host 3v3s, and perhaps, 4v4s for players with fast connections. He is, however, experiencing the log in problem, so hopefully we can resolve that tomorrow.

I/we look forward to some fun games. Thanks to Tosa for making it possible to play again.

Edit: I will try to access around 11 a.m.-12 p.m. PST, which is 7-8 p.m. GMT I believe. Ansk and Ishi indicated they will try at about the same time. If we have problems we'll tap in to this thread. We are also on MSN Messenger; my addy is funkymonk002@hotmail.com.

Togakure
10-16-2004, 20:23
Hiya. Ishi, Ansk, Gaijin and I are all on MSN. We tried to connect to the fakeserver but after about 60 seconds of "Connecting ..." we get "Failed to connect." My guess is the fakeserver is not running yet. So, I'm posting to let everyone who is interested know that there are people ready and willing to play some STW/MI MP if the fakeserver is brought up. I will monitor this thread until I hear from someone (or until such time passes that we give up and find something else to do). Hopefully we'll hear from someone soon and get some games going. A good time to come and kick my arse--I haven't touched the game since May and I'm sure I suck pretty bad ~D . Anyway, hope to hear from someone soon.

I'm funkymonk002@hotmail.com on MSN Messenger. If you'd like to join Ishi, Ansk, Gaijin and me for a chat while we wait just add me and message me.

PaolinoPaperino
10-16-2004, 20:30
Oh.. I am not sure, but I think Tosa said only sunday. :bow:

HicRic
10-16-2004, 20:40
I always used to hang on "logging in..." with the original STW/MI server. It could be a problem intrinsic to the game or maybe the server just wasn't up at the times you're trying.

Togakure
10-16-2004, 20:42
Oh ok, thanks Pao. For some reason I had it in my head "weekends." I guess we will try tomorrow. Ishi just told me that the planned time period was from 19-23 GMT ... is this correct? That would be 11am - 3pm for us PST people in USA West.

Thanks again for letting us know so we didn't end up sitting around for an undue amount of time. Hopefully we will catch you for some games tomorrow. Ciao for now.

Togakure
10-17-2004, 01:01
Ok folks, wanting to play today rather than wait until tomorrow, Methos has downloaded and installed Fakeserver succesfully. I am sitting in his foyer right now, and all looks as it ever did on the official server.

However, for some reason he cannot get in! Can the fakeserver host access and play using the same computer that is running the fakeserver? He can see me sitting in the foyer via his fakeserver control panel, but can't log in himself.

Does anyone know offhand what he needs to do so he can log in and we can get to some head-collecting? Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Edit: Meth is running Windows XP with Roadrunner cable service. Putting his own IP in the Internet config file dumped him to the desktop. Changing it to localhost resulted in him hanging at "connecting ...," eventually resulting in a "failed to connect." I have since sent him choice.com which has been copied into ../system and ../system32. No change resulted. Again, help is much appreciated.

Togakure
10-17-2004, 01:26
Problem solved. ~:) The oh so pervasive numeric transposition, hehe. Now for some headz!

TosaInu
10-17-2004, 13:23
Hello,

The server is running now and will remain doing so for another 8 hours or so.

I don't have a problem with running it more often, but this has a downside:

it's of very little use to run it all week when only one person uses it per hour, a narrow window helps to concentrate the users. It will run other days when people agree on a time.

TogakureOjonin
The host can enter his own server, even when he's playing on the same machine. It's possible that he has to use a different IP though (for example because of a router). That can be found with winipcfg.exe on 98, and typing IPconfig in XP console.

Jochi Khan
10-17-2004, 16:38
Hi all.

Still having problems with the Fakeserver. :o(

Today I had six attempts to loggon....each time got to...Logging On...page.
Then I had an instant.... logged on.
Was in the foyer with 7Bear7 Yogi and Redwolf joined later.
Neither Yogi nor myself could host a game that could be seen. (although I was in Game Foyer) each time I hosted but Yogi couldn't join and vice versa. I had the ports open to allow me to host.
When Redwolf hosted a test game I could see it but was ...unable to join... this game.
Logged out and relogged after another 6 attempts got back in. Patience heh

Now since I logged out of stw I have been unable to get back in. Just reaches the ...Loggin On ...page each time.
It is now16.30 BST will try again after I have eaten.

......Jochi

todaswarriors
10-17-2004, 16:55
Konnichiwa
Toda logged in fine at 16:45 GMT...17th oct
I have tested with Red & can host fine..
hehe :o)
Ikimasho !!!

PaolinoPaperino
10-17-2004, 17:35
Just been in, and played a test game with Toda(great fantasy about names in Mizu uh? :P)
Server working, and game visible and played it, but get an unhappy problem with disconnection from the foyer, me and him at the same time. I had to restart game to solved it, but it happens again. ~:confused:

BTW Jochi, that issue with the logging happened to me as well, solved just relogging using another family name. :)

Togakure
10-17-2004, 19:40
"TogakureOjonin
The host can enter his own server, even when he's playing on the same machine. It's possible that he has to use a different IP though (for example because of a router). That can be found with winipcfg.exe on 98, and typing IPconfig in XP console."

Thanks for the information Tosa. I'll pass it along, and tuck it away in my notes as well just in case I decide to run a server sometime in the future. Fun games to all :).

Edit: took out system quote because it was messed up by my editing.

HicRic
10-17-2004, 22:51
Hi, I'm interested in playing STW MP. I think it's too late for me to play today now, but I'll try next week. However, I don't think I can remember my username/password/family name. What should I do? Should I just enter anything and it'll be accepted, or do I need to register a new account? (Where should I do that?)

Been trying to play STW MP for months but only now have a decent connection and PC, only to find out EA don't serve anymore. :dizzy2: I'm glad Tosa has kindly provided us with a server instead.

Togakure
10-18-2004, 03:47
Hello HicRic. I'm not sure if you can still register and create character IDs now that the official server is down. Hopefully you will remember your ID and password when you get to the login screen.

If not, and you cannot register a new character ID, here's a last resort: if all you need is one to use, and assuming it is possible to use any that has been previously registered, you're welcome to use one of my spares (I have at least 20). The only down side is, you won't be able to choose your name or family, and I will know your password. I will not use the ID once turned over to you. From that point on it would be yours.

Contact me via MSN Messenger (or e-mail) if you choose to exercise this option. I am 47RoninToga, funkymonk002@hotmail.com.

LittleGrizzly
10-18-2004, 04:54
on fakeserver you can type in any name you want no need to register

also if you are having problems a different name "might" help

HicRic
10-18-2004, 08:25
Thank you for the kind offer, TogakureOjonin, but by the sounds of it I can use the name I wish on the fakeserver.

I'll be seeing you guys there next sunday!

(If anyone wants to win a game, play HicRic. ~;) Sure, I'm pretty good at SP...but I have the feeling that having never played MP will mean I'll get rather beaten. It'll still be good fun though, I'm sure!)

Jochi Khan
10-18-2004, 11:29
Hi All....

No problems logging after.

Many good battles.

Win or lose..enjoy..have fun..thats the main thing.

Looking forward to next Sunday.

..Jochi

Kas
10-18-2004, 13:18
Old Kassie likes to play Shoggie...what do I need? STW/MI? Patch? And where can I find the patches? New pc...lost all Shoggie updates :embarassed:

Sasaki Kojiro
10-18-2004, 18:25
totalwar.com should still have the patch, and if you go to files at the top of the forum you can get the statswapper.

Togakure
10-18-2004, 20:32
Hey there HicRic ... glad that you will be able to play without needing and ID. I wasn't sure that my idea would work anyway--as there is no place online that stores my IDs, it stands to reason that they wouldn't work for you. I just put that out there as a last resort to try if you weren't able to play otherwise.

KAS: it will be very, very good to have your company again, my friend. You have been sorely missed, and not just by me. So far, everyone has been using MI and 1.02. Some of us intend to test out 1.03 and 1.05 soon, and I can't think of any reason why they wouldn't work, providing all players in the game are using them, as before.

I still have the Statswapper we released at the Masterless, which provides 1.03 and 1.05 and the ability to swap between 1.02, 1.03 and 1.05 easily. The installation program also puts Choice.com where it needs to be for XP users and makes the install a snap. It's not available online for download anymore as I don't have a server to host it on, but I can send it to anyone that wants to use it. They just have to contact me via e-mail and request it. My addy is still funkymonk002@hotmail.com.

I am thinking it would also be easy to modify and re-release the statswapper to allow for swapping between fakeservers as well, using the same methods of swapping files in and out as the statswapper swaps stat files. The modification would just swap internet.cfg files instead. That would make it easy to switch from different fakeservers and play wherever the players are. I'll look into it when I have some time (and I'm not playing :) ).

Sasaki: Are you going to get your CDs from the homestead? STW wouldn't be the same without everyone cringing in fear of having you oppose them. Plus, I would enjoy the opportunity of beating you once in a great while, like old times. That was always something to be proud of, as arguably there is no better 1v1 STW MP player out there. Hope to see you sometime soon.

Cheers, everyone :). It makes me very happy to see the Shoggie lovers coming back. And the new faces too!

TosaInu
10-18-2004, 20:45
TogakureOjonin's statswapper: http://www.mizus.com/Files/k0rgs8gVt/stats.shtml
STW MI Euro patch http://www.mizus.com/Files/k0rgs8gVt/packs.shtml
Other patches are in the downloadsection.

Sasaki Kojiro
10-18-2004, 22:09
Sasaki: Are you going to get your CDs from the homestead? STW wouldn't be the same without everyone cringing in fear of having you oppose them. Plus, I would enjoy the opportunity of beating you once in a great while, like old times. That was always something to be proud of, as arguably there is no better 1v1 STW MP player out there. Hope to see you sometime soon.

I'm sure my mom wouldn't send them to me...I might see if I can pick it up in town somehow. I have a mouse for my laptop now so I could conceivably play.

Togakure
10-19-2004, 02:14
Well I hope you are successful in getting MI again Sasaki m8, online play would not be the same without you chasing me/us all over the field.

I wasn't aware that you had the version of the swapper I modified available on the Mizu site, TosaInu. I'm glad you are able to make it available online. Just for the record folks: Tosa and the Mizus made the swapper. I just put an install wrapper around it and included choice.com for XP users, as many people were having trouble getting it installed correctly "back in the day."

When I make a mod to it that includes swapping fakeservers, I'll provide a copy so it can be hosted for download if you like. I won't be able to test it until Sunday when both servers are up, but I'll see if I can't fit in some dev time this week so I can test this coming Sunday.

We had some fun games on Methos' server today. There were some "ghosts in the machine," but they weren't show-stoppers. Not a lot of people: Anskar, Ishida, TenkiSora and me ... but enough to have some fun. Ishida played a brilliant defense against Anskar and me on Shinano. He took 16/4 max and used 20K, while we took 12/3 max and used 10K each (yeah a lot of koku I realize, but we experiment a lot with 2v1 scenarios). He wasn't where we'd expected him to be at game start, and he caught me with my pants down, so-to-speak. After sending my guys running with an unexpected charge, he turned around and managed to defeat Anskar's counterattack as well. Quite an excellent game!

All are welcome, so join us if you have the inclination. Methos will send the internet.cfg information to anyone that requests it by posting at the 47 forum.

here's a link: http://p203.ezboard.com/b47chushingura

On Sundays though, we will be playing on Tosa's server. The more the merrier! Hope to see you all in Shoggieland soon.

Kas
10-19-2004, 12:21
I replaced the internet config file with the one Methos send me, but I keep stuck in the "Logging On". No error message just stuck there ~:confused:

I've a brand new high end pc, with a clean MI install (v1.02), 4Mb ADSL, so I don't have a clue what's wrong.

I've Norton Antivirus 2005 and the Win SP2 firewall installed....even with all shut down...same :furious3:

Kas ~D

Togakure
10-19-2004, 14:08
Hi Kas. That was happening to Anskar too for a bit but we got past it somehow. If only I could remember how ... d'oh! We tried a lot of different things. Anyway, I should be online later on tonight, so I'll look for you. We can try a few things and see if they get you through. Sooner or later (hopefully sooner) we'll get it figured out.

Methos' configuration is different from Tosa's. I have both files and will give you Tosa's too. Tosa's server will be the place to be on Sundays, as there are more people on it. Meth, Ishi, me and the other active 47s will be coming to Tosa's server. During the week at "prime time," however, my guess is we'll still see 4-8 people on Meth's server for games, maybe even a few more once the word spreads. There are people missing that I know would play regularly if they knew about this. Just have to get in contact with them.

I'll check on MSN for you a bit later m8. Hopefully cya then.

Jochi Khan
10-19-2004, 14:42
Hi Kas

Long time no see...

I had the same problem as you last Sunday. Kept hanging at Logging On page.

Just keep logging on and logging off....eventually you will connect.

Strange but true.

Yes Toga, there were some good games played.

Some of us were very rusty but was good to get back into Shoggy.

Playing the 1.03 stat would make for a far more balanced game IMHO

still can't understand the insistance on playing 1.02...10K games :confused:

....Jochi

Togakure
10-19-2004, 21:06
Hi Jochi. I think 1.02 10K games are prevalent simply because they have become the norm over the last couple of years. They yield seemingly fair and entertaining games, and haven't caused any glaring problems because of the stat imbalances (at least in the minds of most who have been playing). Most seem to enjoy 10K/1.02 games as long as the 4 max/no ashi rules are in place. As soon as you allow more than 4 max of a unit type, or Ashi, you start seeing armies and tactics that just don't make for fun games.

People resist change. We tried to revive 1.03 at the Masterless by making it a requirement for the tourney we held last year. People participated, but there was some complaining about the stat, and after the tourney, use of the stat declined rapidly to almost zero. Everyone went back to what they were used to: 10K, 1.02 games, 4 max, no ashi.

I personally enjoyed the 1.03 games. I felt 7K was a little slim on koku, but I was able to come up with some decent armies using it. I and a few friends always use 1.05 for Mongol games, usually at 8-9K (as mongol units are so damn expensive).

Many of the remaining players can swap stats, so if you want to play 1.03, I'd say announce it in the foyer and go for it. You'll see a drop in player performance on the field because, as I'm sure you know, 1.03 plays quite differently than does 1.02. But it would even out the skill levels, as there aren't many who have played 1.03 with any regularity, and few have armies with which they have developed "expert-level" tactics and control.

As you said, it's all about having fun. If 1.03 is to taste: go for it :).

Sasaki Kojiro
10-19-2004, 21:39
1.03 is great if people don't bring the unbalanced armies...after it had been used for a while almost everyone was bringing the monks/nag cav armies. Powerful, flexible and very easy to use...but also very boring I think. Yari sam need a boost or you need to restrict the monks and nag cav. That was my conculusion after about 400 games on it.

Togakure
10-19-2004, 22:08
Kas and anyone else that is experiencing the stuck at "Logging On" problem:

Betou and I just resolved his problem by putting the Choice.com file in his Windows/system32 folder. I think it's still available for download here somewhere. If you can't find it, catch me on MSN and I'll send it to you. It is also automatically installed when you install my modified statswapper, which you can download from the Mizu sight. There's a link to it a few threads up.

This may not resolve the problem for some, but it did the trick for Betou, so FYI. Worth a try at least.

One by one, we will resolve these issues so those who want to play can play. As a genius, self-made millionaire IT expert friend said to me: NEVER let the machines beat you.

We WILL prevail ~;) .

Kas
10-20-2004, 01:37
It works! (took ages and countless tries though)

~:cheers:

Played Totomi 2v2 10k :charge:

Puzz3D
10-20-2004, 02:14
1.03 is great if people don't bring the unbalanced armies...after it had been used for a while almost everyone was bringing the monks/nag cav armies. Powerful, flexible and very easy to use...but also very boring I think. Yari sam need a boost or you need to restrict the monks and nag cav. That was my conculusion after about 400 games on it.

What koku level did you play at? That stat is made for 7k. It's true that YS were weakened by -1 def but all cav has -1 melee as well. Monks did pick up +1 melee and +2 moral but their armor was reduced. Archers are the best counter to monks although heavy cav will beat them as well. I also wouldn't sell the naginata short because it's a very good unit in v103. Maybe too good. It is possible the monk/NC army is too strong. I don't remember testing that combination.

WE/MI v1.02 balance is worse than v1.03 for multiplayer. At least v1.03 plays at 7k. It was an attempt to address the three main gameplay problems of v1.02, but the tools available are imprecise so those issues are not fully corrected in v1.03. Raising koku to 10k doesn't improve the balance in either version. No attempt was made to balance either version at 10k. I don't buy it that playing something with worse balance requires more skill unless you're talking about skill in exploiting the imbalances.

Apparently, the thing that can't be overcome is most player's reluctance to use mods in online play. I would have thought that the small group interested in continuing to play WE/MI online for 2 years would fix the thing with a whole new stat instead of spending all that effort to master such a flawed thing as v102. It's most unfortunate that the beta team who worked on v102 didn't make original STW the basis for the WE/MI v102 with the idea of simply making small adjustments to it. In that case, we wouldn't have had cav that's too fast or guns that are too strong. The yari ashi problem would still have been there because that's due to an error in how the weapon and armor upgrades are calculated. Today, most vets say original STW had the best gameplay of all the versions of total war.

Togakure
10-20-2004, 03:05
... I don't buy it that playing something with worse balance requires more skill unless you're talking about skill in exploiting the imbalances. ...

... Apparently, the thing that can't be overcome is most player's reluctance to use mods in online play. I would have thought that the small group interested in continuing to play WE/MI online for 2 years would fix the thing with a whole new stat instead of spending all that effort to master such a flawed thing as v102. ...

Today, most vets say original STW had the best gameplay of all the versions of total war.
Did I miss something? Who said anything about 1.02 requiring more skill? And when you say: "... unless you're talking about skill in exploiting the imbalances," to whom are you referring when you use the word "you're?"

My take on the "small group interested in continuing to play WE/MI online for 2 years" thing is that, most just want to play and brag and pal around with their chums. Those that enjoy creating and serving the community for practically no reward are few and far between (though a large number of those that exist are here, at the Org). Some of us might have taken on such an effort that you describe, if there was a call for it. But the fact is, those that were participating were pretty much happy with things the way they were. The kind of work you took on to modify stats is a huge job--and I learned from your experience--without having to go through it myself. It wasn't worth the cost to me. But I found smaller things I could do for the community instead, and it has felt good to contribute. I suspect others who were capable of doing what you suggest felt the same way.

As far as investing energy into a flawed thing goes--if that thing is the only thing in use that allows one to play with a large number of other people, doesn't it stand to reason that folks will choose it, and, as is the nature of most humans, try to do their best with it?

Yes, I've read this time and time again now, in posts by those that consider themselves "vets": original STW MP was the best. I wouldn't know, I wasn't here. And I guess that makes me and all those who came after unable to hold any credit with "vets" as to what we think, it seems. But you know what? That's exactly the problem with the "vet" mentality. As time passes, "vets" become more and more of a minority. And more and more "newbs" come on and discover the TW games. Many do not have the experience--and therefore also lack the biases--that the "vets" have. And they look at things with a fresh and unjaded eye. I couldn't help but suppress a chuckle when I read recently that a "vet" was surprised that Rome seemed to be so popular still, given the "terrible" state of the game. This illustrates what I mean. It won't be long before the "newbs" become experienced, and good, and then damn good. And then, the only thing that will differentiate them from the "vets" is this "how long I've played TW games" thing ... and perhaps, in some cases, the level of service that some, like you Puzz3D, have provided to the community. The "vets" will have two choices wont they? Adapt and evolve with the game and it's following, or fall by the wayside ... .

As far as I'm concerned, the bottom line regarding STW MP today is: come online, join the group, play the style of game you like with the people you like, and HAVE FUN. What is better or worse, balanced or unbalanced, "vet" or "newb" doesn't matter. What matters is that you have a good time with your m8s playing games online.

Kas
10-20-2004, 12:20
You both are right here...

Of course the game must be as balanced (=fair) as possible...the 1.03 is a step in the right direction and with some unit and koku restrictions it's a good mod...perhaps not perfect, but good enough. Original STW was perhaps the nicest...and it's possible to find loopholes to exploit on MI/WE, but those who now play online can not be compared with the original "cast". Most value fair play en good behaviour...we now see people who care about their reputation and the big word...often used in the past...HONOUR. Most use fair (so called "vets" might call it stupid) armies now. The people who now play online are not interested in "the army that wins 'em all" and that's very nice.

With this attitude 1.02 can be fun...10k perhaps bit too much...I prefer 8k, but I don't mind...I have fun and that's what I'm here for :bow:

:eeeek:

PaolinoPaperino
10-20-2004, 12:24
Sadly I have to admit I agree with Mimesaka about the 1.03 used with 7k games.
The exploit arises, I think, in the mounted troops charge bonus.
Almost all games was fast, with many mounted troops and just a bunch of monks to use against the opponents YS.
I think it would be interesting to hear Kansuke's opinion as well, about this stats.
:bow:

TosaInu
10-20-2004, 12:26
STW MP is considered a standard now. It was a fairly new thing to play with and that may have set the tone of splendid (there was nothing to compare) and I certainly had a good time in many fun games. There were also quite a few flaws though. I would hesitate to call it 'the best' and use it as reference for every next title.

A technically good game (stat, mechanics, lag) is only one part of MP though. I'm saying this in an extreme way: 'the worst stat can make good games when playing with fine people.'

Kas
10-20-2004, 12:36
'the worst stat can make good games when playing with fine people.'

~:cheers:

Togakure
10-20-2004, 15:51
'the worst stat can make good games when playing with fine people.'

Bingo. I extremely agree. :bow:

Puzz3D
10-20-2004, 20:39
Bingo. I extremely agree. :bow:

Well, v103 just got shot down because of people taking monk/NC armies. What happened to the fair play idea that's being used as the reason the imbalance in v102 can be ignored? It doesn't really matter anymore. I accept that v1.03 is dead. The v102 is used simply because it's what got released as the official patch, but I can't have fun with v102. It grates on me every time I see the imbalance that could have been avoided at the time it was developed. Some people think v102 is what I wanted, and that I manipulated people to get what I wanted. Well, v102 isn't what I wanted. It never was. I wanted the v102 to play as close to STW v1.12 as possible because that's what the majority of the community wanted at the time. The monk problem had already been fixed with a 10% increase in its cost in WE/MI v1.01. If the only adjustment made in v1.02 had been to tone down guns to their STW v1.12 level, the Sengoku Period would have played better than the current v1.02.

It was Mimesaka Akechi who said, "1.02 and 1.03 are both flawed imo, though I think in 1.02 the more skilled players is more likely to win than in 1.03."

As far as investing energy into a flawed thing goes--if that thing is the only thing in use that allows one to play with a large number of other people, doesn't it stand to reason that folks will choose it, and, as is the nature of most humans, try to do their best with it?

That's settling for something inferior. With your reasoning, you should have moved to MTW once that was released because that's where most of the players went. The whole journey through WE/MI v1.00, v1.01, v1.02, v1.03 and v1.05 occured because players were dissatisfied with the gameplay. Unfortunately, a concensus within the player community of what constitutes the best gameplay has never been achieved, and we are therefore doomed to play the inferior thing that CA puts out eventhough there is modding capability in the game. The 8 players on the v1.02 beta team couldn't agree. The failure of that v1.02 beta team to come up with a better solution than it did closed the door on any future, CA sanctioned, community effort to adjust the gameplay of a CA product. It also sowed seeds of distrust in the community itself for player made gameplay adjustments.

Sasaki Kojiro
10-20-2004, 22:48
It was Mimesaka Akechi who said, "1.02 and 1.03 are both flawed imo, though I think in 1.02 the more skilled players is more likely to win than in 1.03."

Only because of the people bringing the monks/nag cav army. All nag cav is overpowered too. I didn't mean to say that the patch itself required less skill, far from it. If people brought lots of guns and super ashi 1.02 would require less skill.

I intend to play 1.03 when I manage to get online to the fake server...though yogi's tourney will probably be 1.02.

Togakure
10-21-2004, 00:17
I accept that v1.03 is dead. The v102 is used simply because it's what got released as the official patch, but I can't have fun with v102. It grates on me every time I see the imbalance that could have been avoided at the time it was developed ...

... Some people think v102 is what I wanted, and that I manipulated people to get what I wanted. Well, v102 isn't what I wanted. It never was ...

... That's settling for something inferior. With your reasoning, you should have moved to MTW once that was released because that's where most of the players went.

... Unfortunately, a concensus within the player community of what constitutes the best gameplay has never been achieved, and we are therefore doomed to play the inferior thing that CA puts out eventhough there is modding capability in the game. The 8 players on the v1.02 beta team couldn't agree.

... It also sowed seeds of distrust in the community itself for player made gameplay adjustments.

I can imagine how you feel m8, and I empathize. But, there were people in the fake-foyer last Sunday who would have enjoyed 1.03 games, and I think they have the ability to swap as well. So if you enjoy 1.03 games, you might consider dropping in and seeing if anyone wants to muck it up using 1.03. My guess is you won't have any trouble finding people who will play with you.

You certainly don't seem like the manipulating type to me m8. It seems to me like you made a heroic effort to make a good thing better, and ran into the oh-so common issues that arise when a group of smart, talented and opinionated people try and work together on something to improve it. "Improvement" is subjective, and unfortunately in the case of 1.02, things didn't turn out very well (at least in the minds of some--but some have used it and enjoyed it for a very long time now--that's to your credit, even if you are not happy with the results!). You and your team gave the community options, and some of us really appreciate that. The same goes for 1.03 and 1.05 ... they allow for choice and variety. These are very good things, and you folks made it possible. Thank you.

Unfortunately, MTW online (and now RTW) are not options for me at this time. I also have a personal affinity for Shogun (my heritage, etc.). I see your point regarding migration to MTW, but considering my circumstances and preferences, it wasn't something I wanted to do, even if I might have been able to slog out a 1v1 on MTW with my old PC and slow conn. So, in that context, maybe my reasoning will make more sense to you.

Doomed ... interesting word. I think maybe it's a matter of perspective m8. You have demonstrated that you possess both the insight and the skill to mod even the most complicated aspects of the game. The 1.02 effort with those 8 others didn't work out very well. But there are hundreds if not thousands of others out there that possess equal or better ideas and technical skills. Maybe you could find some others with whom you are more compatible in goals and methods? As far as achieving a consensus is concerned, that's a tough nut to crack, and not under anyone's control. Jochi Khan's parable (from his Org signature) comes to mind ... .

I can't speak for others regarding distrust of community stats etc., but I'm always willing to give them a try and judge for myself whether they are fun for me or not. As I said in an earlier post, some are just here to play and brag and chum around with their friends, so their interest in anything outside of the norm-easily-installed-easily played is minimal. They are satisfied with what they have. But, there are many who enjoy trying new things, in hopes of something even better. It is to that market that your efforts have great value.

I've said it before and I'll say it again m8, I appreciate the things that you and the others like you have done. And I look forward to seeing what else you folks come up with in the future. Salute. :bow:

Kas
10-21-2004, 01:09
I'm always willing tp play 1.03 ~:)

Still have problems logging on though :wall:

Sp00n
10-21-2004, 10:20
Personally I dont care which version of Shogun you play Ive always loved the game since the start whatever version they were all good even the first version with the insane monks was entertaining, which is more than you can possible say for the Rome MP which was obviously programmed by my Nan.

Ive played more games than most on Shogun well over 10000 online and its a great game IMO versions dont bother me if somone can tell me how to get onto the new servers ill play it again although it will take time to adjust to its speed after MTWs slower pace.

CA created a great online experience with Shoggie and have got progressively worse with the last 2 games (Rome being a joke), maybe it was a fluke.

MizuSp00n

Very happy to hear that people still play the great game. Its also great to see that very good players have emerged since the old days, although its a shame some of you new guys never saw it in its prime, ah to think I thought Rome could match it doh.

Kansuke
10-21-2004, 10:43
Hi Sp00ny M8,

I will give it a go, so look forward to seeing you on Sunday :duel:

Its very simple to set up, do the following:

open internet.cfg (open this with wordpad ~;) ) in the STW root directory and replace the content by:

ChatserverIPAddress = 212.238.194.39 enter this
ChatserverPort = 8793 enter this
NewsserverPort = 8797

Two small changes and thats it, you can enter using any name, no need to register or anything.

On the issue of 1.02 and 1.03 I don't mind either, but IMHO the best solution lies somewhere in-between the two ~;)

Puzz3D
10-21-2004, 14:40
I'm not quite convinced that the monk/nag cav army in v1.03 can't be effectively countered. First of all you can't buy 8 H2 monks and 8 H2 NC for 7k koku. You can buy 8 H1 monks and boost one NC to H3. To counter that army I would buy 3 H2 HC, 4 H1 SA, 4 H3 NI and 5 H4 YS. Doesn't that work as a counter army?

An H1 monk has 10 melee combat points +1 for the 4 charge points = 11 equivalent melee points while an H4 YS has 9 melee points which would jump to 17 points vs NC. The H3 NI has 14 melee points, so that will easily hold up an H1 monk, and eventually beat it. The H2 NC has 12 equivalent melee points, so it is weaker than the H4 YS and the H3 NI. The counter army then has 3 H2 HC (15 melee equivalent points) which will beat either the H2 NC or the H1 monk, and it has 4 H1 SA which would preferably shoot at the monks. It all depends on how well the faster monk/NC army can outmaneuver the slower YS/NI/HC/SA based army. The SA has to stay close to it's inf support.

1 H3 NC = 16, 7 H2 NC = 84, 8 H1 WM = 88 for 188 equivalent melee combat points.

3 H2 HC = 45, 5 H4 YS = 45, 4 H3 NI = 56, 4 H1 SA = 0 for a total of 146 equivalent melee combat points.

This would jump to 186 with the YS anti-cav bonus if you could get the good YS vs NC matchups with all 5 YS. You can't get that matchup with all of the YS, but you might get a couple of them. There is also the chance of charge negation on the NC which would knock off the equivalent of 4 melee points from each NC. I think it comes down to protecting flanks and effective use of the SA for this army to win. Potentially, one SA can kill 150 monks, but of course they won't stand still and let you do that. However, with 15 volleys which takes 90 seconds an SA could wipe out a WM. If the 4 SA even only take out 1/2 of 4 WM units, that would be a loss of 22 combat points to the monk/NC army dropping it to 166 points. If you also managed two YS vs NC matchups, that would boost the YS/NI/HC/SA army from 146 to 162 melee points. So, you don't have to be perfect with the archers or the YS to even things in terms of combat power. It then comes down to whether you can be a little better than 1/2 a monk unit with the SA or 2 YS vs NC matchups to offset the speed advantage of the monk/NC army.

On the issue of 1.02 and 1.03 I don't mind either, but IMHO the best solution lies somewhere in-between the two ~;)

What would that be? Slower cav? Less emphasis on cav charge? We could make it, but would anyone play it?

Kansuke
10-21-2004, 16:27
Hi,

Don't get me wrong, the 1.03 stats are nice, they have a more realistic balance as opposed to 1.02 (musks are to damn strong), but when used in a no rules game (1.03 stats), one can't help but come up with a good rush or semi-rush army. However, if the 1.03 stats were to be played as a 4 max rule army, then 1.03 Vs 1.02 , 1.03 stats IMO are better.

What I am trying to say is, missile units should have sufficient fear factor and effectiveness, its hard enough to stop a good rusher in 1.02, but in 1.03 a good rusher can have a feild day.

Yuuki, I recall a very good 1.02 10k game on Totomi, I had with you towards the end of last year, most who have played me, know I like a good shoot-out, and had one of my basic defensive 7 missile armies and I was defender too, heh, you on the other hand had a 4 missile army and inflicted a heavy defeat on me. How could that be possible in 1.02 stats? Well the answer is simple, you chose light rain and had a better mobile army than mine, this combined with good skill, you won ~:) , most importantly this shows that the 4 max in 1.02 works, it may not be the solution, but it makes the stats playable and rewards a skillful approach during battle.

We are currently seeing a rekindling of a tiny STW/MI community, it would be a shame if it stuttered to a halt due to indecision over which stats to use.

Just my opinion.

PS:Which days is the server up?, I need to polish my Katana in readyness :duel:

Sasaki Kojiro
10-21-2004, 17:54
Methos's server is up on weekdays and saturday, Tosa's on sunday.

Yuuki, I was referring to the 4 ranged, 6 monk, 6 nag cav...you have a little shootout and then just charge in and crush your opponent...monks and nag cav combined beat a naginata infantry unit quite quickly as Kans showed me several times ~:) the army you posted is very slow. I can just send in the monks and a couple cav against your nag inf and wait untill they rout.

I tried in 1.03 bringing 16 nag cav or 8 nag cav and 8 no dachi and won very easy...though my opponents weren't the best of players.

Puzz3D
10-21-2004, 17:55
Kansuke,

The v103 isn't designed to stop a rush army with an army containing 7 ranged units. The most you can probably get away with is 4 ranged. That's why I only have 4 SA in that proposed anti-monk/NC army. If you make the stat so that ranged units can stop a rush, you have projectile wars. It was never the intent in v102 to have guns stop a frontal charge by HC or NC, and that's one of the things we fixed in v103, but if you look at the stat you'll see the guns are only 10% weaker in firepower and 1 second longer in reload for 3 rank rotating fire. The archers went up from 28 arrows in v102 to 36 arrows in v103, so they are better. The point is you have to protect your guns in v103 with some other unit, and you don't have to in v102. When you have light rain in v102, that's the firepower per volley guns were supposed to have in dry weather because you get 25% misfires. The guns in v102, which 50% of the beta team appoved, were 25% weaker in firepower per volley than what got released. That's the firepower that the approved v102 stat was tested at. The actual final stat got exactly 3 battles of 1v1 testing between players who were not equally matched.

I don't really think 4 max fixes the problem. If I take 4 archers in v102 and you take 4 guns, how much of a disadvantage would you say I have? There is definitely a disadvantage, and there wasn't supposed to be. From my experience with v102, I'm at the equivalent of 2 unopposed 60 man musket units disadvantage. Two unopposed musket units can kill 600 of my men. That's 10 units. If I take the requisite 4 muskets to counter your 4 muskets, I know about the creeping up to the edge of max range to get off a couple of volleys at the enemy's guns before he notices and returns fire. He suffers so many casualties in his gun units to those two unreturned volleys that he can never recover from it which means he is going to have to eventually rush with an army that's weaker. Basically, it's not about engaging the line and then looking for flanking opporunities with units that have been held in reserve. The gameplay, if you've lost the gun battle, is more a mad dash to one flank hoping the enemy doesn't react in time to the maneuver.

TenkiSoratoti_
10-21-2004, 19:53
Methos' server appears to be offline at the moment, my fault really, I increased his lust for RTW 10 fold and now he's probably playing that instead.

Puzz3D
10-21-2004, 20:14
Yuuki, I was referring to the 4 ranged, 6 monk, 6 nag cav...you have a little shootout and then just charge in and crush your opponent...monks and nag cav combined beat a naginata infantry unit quite quickly as Kans showed me several times ~:) the army you posted is very slow. I can just send in the monks and a couple cav against your nag inf and wait untill they rout.

I tried in 1.03 bringing 16 nag cav or 8 nag cav and 8 no dachi and won very easy...though my opponents weren't the best of players.

If you bring 4 ranged, that's more of a problem for my army, but you are already moving away from the all rush army. So, v103 is already at work influencing a more balanced approach than simply all rush units. I still don't quite see it. My NI line is not going to rout very easily if it's properly supported with flanks covered. Even if you use H2 monks, they can't defeat the H3 NI frontally, and I have 2 HC for a total of 6 units to counter your 6 WM. I have YS to counter the NC. If you are going to cut back on the number of NC to 6, I could cut back on the number of YS to 4. I could take a 5th archer an use it just to shoot up the monks or I could make my gen an H2 YC and take another H2 YC giving me 2 of them to counter any NC that try to flank.

16 NC and 16 HC armies were tested, and there are effective counters to those all cav armies. The counter army I proposed is slow, but there is the YC which is a fast anti-cav unit. The YS is weakened in v103, and, because the HC has to still beat the improved WM, the HC can now almost beat a YS which isn't good. I thought the cav charges were high enough in v102 if not too high. The combat calculation cuts off at 20 points advantage.

H4 no-dachi at 558 koku has 11 combat points and some armor compared to H2 monks at 550 koku with 12 combat points and no armor. I don't think the no-dachi constitutes stronger melee unless you play at a koku level where you can make some weapon upgrades on them taking advantage of the improper calculation of the upgrade's cost. The MP game never needed WM. It was a redundant unit and overpowered in original STW. It's actually outclassed by no-dachi in v102 at 10k, so we made it stronger in v103 because a lot of players complained that the monks in v102 were not as good as they should be. A big problem in original STW was that HC didn't beat monks. Nothing beat monks at equal cost. They were 10% cheaper than they are in WE/MI, had armor and archers only had 28 arrows.

Orda Khan
10-21-2004, 20:22
From what I read this argument is going round and round and getting nowhere, nice to know nothing changes ~;) It is obvious also that people still look for exploits and flaws. As long as this is the case, please, stop using this word 'honour' it really is not the case is it?

May I ask how many actually play STW in any shape or form these days? I was just curious

......Orda

Sasaki Kojiro
10-21-2004, 20:55
Yup going around in circles...in any case I do think 1.03 is better, though I can enjoy 1.02 very much. I haven't played in a while so i don't remember exactly, I could be wrong.

Kas
10-21-2004, 22:44
My favorite army (on a more or less flat map):

4 YariSams (including the general)
2/3 NoDashi
3 SamArchers
2/3 Musks
2 NagCav
2 YariCav

Upgrades depend on koku level...

It's perhaps a very basic "standard" army, but it suits me fine. I think (hope ~:confused: ) it's a fair army. I'm just no good with cav archers, so I gave up on them. I use this army for both attacker and defender. I'm not a great player, but I have good results on 1.02 and 1.03 with it.

I like 2v2 most...just more fun as 1v1 and still enough space to move around a bit. I also like 3v3 games.

When I face a good player (good with cav archers) 1v1 I'm mostly minced meat...that's fine...keeps me humble ~D

Orda Khan
10-22-2004, 16:06
I always played to have fun ( to me there is no other reason to be here ) and I often had success with this lot...
2 NC
2YC
4CA
3SA
2ND
2YS
YC Taisho

I'm the odd one out who always preferred Mongol games

....Orda

TosaInu
10-22-2004, 18:50
My favorite army (on a more or less flat map):

4 YariSams (including the general)
2/3 NoDashi
3 SamArchers
2/3 Musks
2 NagCav
2 YariCav

I had enourmous problems with those spear/nod/musk armies of yours in the 103 tournament. I was metally knocked down and it took me a long time to select an army for the next match: I thought my default 103 balanced army could kill anything anywhere (depending on my own performance of course ~D ).

Sounds like an interesting challenge to beat the NagCav, monk, missiles army.

Mongol games can be great fun. I like the combo of stinging hornets and good for scrapheap infantry.

Sasaki Kojiro
10-22-2004, 19:00
Got my copy :charge:

See you online ~D

Jochi Khan
10-22-2004, 20:29
See you Sunday evening.

:charge: :duel: ~;)

Jochi

Puzz3D
10-22-2004, 21:35
Sounds like an interesting challenge to beat the NagCav, monk, missiles army.
It's more than an interesting challenge. It's essential or the v103 fails in it's aim to move the game toward balanced armies by providing effective counterarmies to unbalanced armies. The weaker YS in v103 makes it more difficult to counter that army.

TosaInu
10-22-2004, 21:44
My std 103 army had a very hard time against the NagCav/monk/musk army on iron (those flat maps will favour cavalry, charges will be more succesful).

1 H3 NagC
7 H2 NagC
4 H2 Musk
4 H2 Monks

That's the army?

I modified my army a bit and could fence them off, though the situation is still dangerous. I recall that we wanted to increase the spear vs cav bonus a tad in 103, but that's a hardcoded value.

That's a problem with STW: solve a problem at one end and you get another one. This was one of the reasons it took so long to make. Ysam is still about fine, but YA would be a better unit if the spearbonus was 5 or 6 instead of 4. MTW and VI introduced these individual tweaks and put an end to some other pesky loopholes (upgrade cost, number of upgrades and battlefieldupgrades to mention a few).

Puzz3D
10-23-2004, 00:05
I recall that we wanted to increase the spear vs cav bonus a tad in 103, but that's a hardcoded value.

That's a problem with STW: solve a problem at one end and you get another one. This was one of the reasons it took so long to make. Ysam is still about fine, but YA would be a better unit if the spearbonus was 5 or 6 instead of 4. MTW and VI introduced these individual tweaks and put an end to some other pesky loopholes (upgrade cost, number of upgrades and battlefieldupgrades to mention a few).
The yari bonus is +4 attack for the yari and -4 attack for the cavalry when fighting yari armed inf. So the bonus is 8 points for yari inf vs cav and 4 points for yari cav vs cav.

v102 YS = 0/2 (att/def)
v103 YS = -1/2

v102 WM = 5/2
v103 WM = 4/4

The YS is 20% weaker in v103 while the WM is 20% stronger. I see this was done so that the YS remains weaker than the WM at equal cost. The H2 WM (550 koku) will also have the additional advantage of +4 charge and +2 morale over the H5 YS (549 koku).

v102 H5 YS = 5/7 (att/def)
v103 H5 YS = 4/7

v102 H2 WM = 7/4
v103 H2 WM = 6/6

The YS is cast into more of an anti-cav role in v103 than it is in v102 where it can double as a line unit. That's something to keep in mind when purchasing a v103 army since you don't need H5 YS to beat cav.

Sasaki Kojiro
10-23-2004, 08:06
Wooha! Feels good to be back online again ~:)

And I can host now! :balloon2: :balloon2:

PaolinoPaperino
10-23-2004, 12:25
The so called nag/monks army was not really just a 2 unit type army.
I remeber playing games with many different versions, but yes, the core was based on monks, more than 6 naginata and at least 2 musks(for the morale drope).
If you wanna, why don't u try these ones?
-1 musk hon 1, 1 musk hon 2;
-4 monks hon2;
-9 Nag hon2;
-1 Nag hon1.

-2 musks hon1;
-4 monks hon2;
-3 HC hon 1(they will charge frontally the enemy YS, in hold formation);
-7 Nag hon2.

and my favourite:
-2 musks hon1;
-3 monks hon2;
-2 YC hon 2(against opposite HA, and musks);
-2 HC hon 1(they will charge frontally the enemy YS, in hold formation);
-7 Nag hon 2.

In 103 the YS standard is hon4. The tactic to rout it, is based on a combined mounted troops charge on them, frontal(hold) and on flank(at will), with musks shooting on.
Result? 2 seconds after there will not be anymore that unit.
If the opponent uses his mounted troops to intercept your horses and he/she moves the YS into the melee againt your horses...than just do the same, with monks intercepting the YS.
I think this was the basic tactic used. Naturally games were preatty fast, pointing out players with more unit control.

TosaInu
10-23-2004, 16:50
The yari bonus is +4 attack for the yari and -4 attack for the cavalry when fighting yari armed inf. So the bonus is 8 points for yari inf vs cav and 4 points for yari cav vs cav.

Right, there are two Yuuki. To make only Yari infantry stronger you have to change only the latter.

Yari samurai are about as strong vs NagCav in 103 as 102: both plain combat were decreased by 1 point. The cavalry gained a bit more charge than required to compensate with other units though. Yari infantry is not going to suffer much/at all from that frontally, but they'll when backstabbed.

VI has those neat cav def & cav att values for every individual unit in txt stat. Think of -2 cavdef for guns and the holdtrick does no longer work.

I'm going to try those PaolinoPaperino.

Thoros of Myr
10-23-2004, 23:25
Grrr...finally made it in here...been having probs with the forum all day today.

For the next 1-2 hours I'll be waiting in the lobby for anyone that wants to play :)

TosaInu
10-23-2004, 23:59
The forums are a nightmare today, I was going to move a couple of things tonight but didn't get anything done. :(

The fakeserver is up from now on.

Puzz3D
10-24-2004, 05:47
The so called nag/monks army was not really just a 2 unit type army.
I remeber playing games with many different versions, but yes, the core was based on monks, more than 6 naginata and at least 2 musks(for the morale drope).
If you wanna, why don't u try these ones?
-1 musk hon 1, 1 musk hon 2;
-4 monks hon2;
-9 Nag hon2;
-1 Nag hon1.

In 103 the YS standard is hon4. The tactic to rout it, is based on a combined mounted troops charge on them, frontal(hold) and on flank(at will), with musks shooting on.
Total equivalent melee combat points for that army neglecting the muskets is 170 with a loss of -4 for each NC vs YS matchup and equivalent -4 melee for each charge negated by a YS.

I would still say a counterarmy to that is:

3 H2 HC = 45
5 H4 YS = 45
4 H3 NI = 56
4 H1 SA = 0

for a total of 146 equivalent melee combat points with an additional 4 points for each YS vs NC matchup. Three such matchups will even the melee power of the armies without considering charge negation, and I have 2 SA free to shoot at monks. The other 2 SA will engage the muskets. If I arrange the YS so there are no exposed flanks, I think the monks will have to be used to break my formation, and they will have HC to contend with. Of course, it depends on how well the units are used, but the counter seems to be there without simply resorting to the same army. This counter army is slower, so you have to play defensively.

Hugh Jazz
10-24-2004, 18:36
I don't get how there are more people playing now than there were when I got this game. I guess it's because there's a working server...

Anyways, does anyone play the original STW, without MI? I've heard all bad things about MI, with kensai and battlefield ninja and such, but I would buy it either way, for the opportunity to play STW online. Only, I have no cash, I'll be broke until after Christmas. So if anyone's interested in playing a game of original STW v. 1.12 with me, let me know.

Cheers!

Hugh Jazz
10-24-2004, 18:46
Well well, problems...

When I got to the main menu, everything was really laggy, could have something to do with my system, but I also couldn't move the mouse anywhere on the lower half of the screen, it like it could only move around an invisible window on the upper half.
That sucks. Anyways, I'll try to get a hold of MI as soon as possible, maybe things'll be better then.

One question. I need to create an online name for me to be able to play, right?

Sasaki Kojiro
10-24-2004, 19:21
Not on the fakeserver, no. Just type it in.

Hugh Jazz
10-24-2004, 20:47
Allright, cool! Anyone wanna play a game of oldschool STW without the expansion, give me a holla...

Sasaki Kojiro
10-25-2004, 16:30
Great SOS day ~:)

Had some excellant 1.03 games with grizz, don't think I'm going to want to play 1.02 much anymore...

:charge:

TosaInu
10-25-2004, 17:40
Allright, cool! Anyone wanna play a game of oldschool STW without the expansion, give me a holla...

Both types of game can use the same FakeServer and we can have a chat together. I still have the original STW installed and can play that. I'm MizuTosaInu in the foyer, just say you like to play STW and I'll swap games.

CBR
10-25-2004, 18:05
I got old STW installed too ~:)

CBR

LittleGrizzly
10-25-2004, 19:09
Had some excellant 1.03 games with grizz, don't think I'm going to want to play 1.02 much anymore...

they were fun (if a bit painful at times) i much prefer 1.03 with 2 max it makes for fun varied games.

Jochi Khan
10-25-2004, 19:19
Hi All.........

Looks like I'm going to have to hunt the bargain basements to see if I can find an old STW disc.

I have heard some good reports about how good this version was to play.

Seems I started playing games too late.

Yes Mim...some good games SOS...and some I could have done without. heh

Jochi :bow:

Hugh Jazz
10-25-2004, 19:58
So, is the fakeserver up only on SOS? I was thinking that I could host a fakeserver, I did so once when I wanted to play with a friend from my site once, but I couldn't conect to it myself for some reason. Either way, my computer could be online most of the time, all around the clock. Anyone interested in me creating a fakeserver? Actually, I'll get right on it, and I'll post an edited config file here as well.

Cheers!

PaolinoPaperino
10-25-2004, 20:06
So, is the fakeserver up only on SOS? ..Anyone interested in me creating a fakeserver? Actually, I'll get right on it, and I'll post an edited config file here as well. Cheers!

Thx m8, but could you check this as well?
http://p200.ezboard.com/fbrotherhoodofaggonyfrm10.showMessage?topicID=47.topic
Methos has already started during the week already a server. :bow:

Sasaki Kojiro
10-25-2004, 20:07
His is not always up though...

Orda Khan
10-25-2004, 20:12
So how many actually play?

......Orda

Sasaki Kojiro
10-25-2004, 20:14
Were 17 there yesterday...methos server hasn't picked up yet, most I saw was 5 or so. They both seem to run pretty much lag free, for me at least.

Hugh Jazz
10-25-2004, 20:14
Well, I could still put up a fakeserver to be my site's "official" server, as it's not too much of a hassle. It'll be there in case any of our members wanna play, and they can get a hold of me if something's wrong. I'll just post the new config file there, and if anyone's interested, they can go there.

Togakure
10-25-2004, 20:18
A friend has just purchased a new PC and has mentioned to me that he might convert his old one to a dedicated 24/7 STW fakeserver. His only concern was that it might not be used much. He is an aspiring IT technologist and gets lab credit for doing things like this.

If it actually happens, I'll let everyone know about it. I should know in a couple of weeks.

TosaInu
10-25-2004, 20:37
Hello,

Interest in playing this seems to be picking up, so the server at 212.238.194.39 is up.

Sasaki Kojiro
10-25-2004, 20:41
Hello,

Interest in playing this seems to be picking up, so the server at 212.238.194.39 is up.

~:)

CBR
10-25-2004, 21:28
Im there with YogoBear now. Need more! ~:)

Edit: and none of us can host ffs

CBR

Puzz3D
10-26-2004, 11:27
I can't host on Tosa's server either which is unusual because I could host on the EA server and I can host MTW and RTW. I also get dropped after every battle, and have to change my name to log back in because my old name is greyed out and never goes away. I saw two other names permanently greyed out as well yesterday.

TosaInu
10-26-2004, 12:30
Yes, there are problems. My guess is that the EA server had additional features compared to Fakeserver. The inability for some people to host puzzles me most.

Kansuke
10-26-2004, 14:19
Hi,

I couldn't host either, neither port forwarding or DMZ worked, the latters inability to host suprised me.

However, I have noticed some ports are still being blocked ie DOS (denial of service).

TosaInu
10-26-2004, 16:24
The server at 212.238.194.39 is up.

I'm wondering whether the host has to open ports? But I fail to see the logic of that. If a port at the host was the problem, no one should be able to host?

Kansuke
10-26-2004, 19:09
"The server at 212.238.194.39 is up".

Thx Tosa, be there shortly :duel:

Kas
10-26-2004, 23:26
I can't host on Tosa's server either which is unusual....

You're lucky! I can't even loggin :wall:

~:handball:

LittleGrizzly
10-27-2004, 01:00
no-one coming on tonight ??

PaolinoPaperino
10-27-2004, 07:27
were 6 before, and we did a couple of 3vs3 too ~:cheers:

TosaInu
10-27-2004, 11:03
You're lucky! I can't even loggin :wall:

~:handball:

Make sure you also update the serverport in Internet.cfg Kas

ChatserverPort = 8793

STW WE is using 8794. STW classic and the Fakeserver are using 8793 by default. This is the port used for convenience of server operation.

The server is running now, so you can try right away.

LittleGrizzly
10-27-2004, 18:35
also kas if it hangs on logging on then just go back out and change your family name. Did the trick for me ~:)

L'Impresario
10-27-2004, 21:30
Greetings,

as I never had the opportunity to try STW on mp, I followed all the instructions outlined in this thread in order to play on the fakeserver but till now to no avail. Last time I tried was yesterday and I got as far as the logging on screen, hearing the menu music and moving around the nice red pointer ad infinitum. Tried also today changing the family name as Grizz oultined but maybe the server wasn't on yet...

btw, are there any classic STW games going on lately, or will I have to pay once more for a MI copy from ebay that 'll never get here :furious3:

Kas
10-27-2004, 22:50
Checked my config file...nothing wrong with it, I also tried different names and family names.

It's weird I managed to get in twice...played a 2v2....disconnected after that game...took me 20 minutes to get back in....and that was it...never managed to get in again since then.
:end:

LittleGrizzly
10-27-2004, 23:04
L'Impresario if you downloaded tosa's server swapper make sure you put it in you stw folder (well grizzy made that mistake at first anyway) and most have mi but tosa can swap back to stw and another came in looking for stw games. Majority are MI though, IMO well worth it :)

kas that must be annoying as hell and i haven't got a clue.....

Togakure
10-28-2004, 01:26
If you try to connect and get "Connecting ..." then "Failed to Connect," this suggests you were unable to establish contact with the host IP. This usually means that the server is not available (or that you have the wrong IP in your internet.cfg).

If you get "Loggin in ..." then you have established contact with the Fakeserver (it is running). If it sticks, then you are experiencing the anomaly that is plaguing so many (I think most that have this problem are running XP OS, yes?; I still run 98 to play and never have any problems ...).

Hugh Jazz
10-28-2004, 05:44
Greetings,
btw, are there any classic STW games going on lately, or will I have to pay once more for a MI copy from ebay that 'll never get here :furious3:

I have only STW! You can contact me by email, or MSN, if you want a game. Looking forward to it!

L'Impresario
10-28-2004, 15:44
I 'd like to have a game of STW as well, but if this is true...

If you get "Loggin in ..." then you have established contact with the Fakeserver (it is running). If it sticks, then you are experiencing the anomaly that is plaguing so many (I think most that have this problem are running XP OS, yes?; I still run 98 to play and never have any problems ...).

Anyway, I'll contact you by msn, probably around the weekend, and then we could attempt to get some totomi battles, if things go well with my problem ~;)

TosaInu
10-28-2004, 18:32

Hugh Jazz
10-28-2004, 18:52
Oh, and L'Impresario, I have XP, and it works fine for me, dno't know what the problem is. Are you sure the settings in the Internet.cfg file are correct? Also, try clicking the "use existing connection" in the multiplayer menu before connecting.

Kansuke
10-28-2004, 20:46
Server is down now?

TosaInu
10-29-2004, 00:36
:embarassed: Stupid me had to leave tonight and I clicked exit program instead of minimize window, sorry guys.

Kansuke
10-29-2004, 20:39

Its up guys :duel:

Oskarin
10-29-2004, 21:26
Cant login...doesnt seem so kan:(

Lonewarrior
10-29-2004, 23:45
I would be interested to play MP again in Shogun, been 3 years since the last time, but first I must finish school in december.

todaswarriors
10-30-2004, 00:02
Moshi Moshi...
Tosa's server is up ok..I was just there.. 23:30 gmt 29th oct.
What time we meating on sunday guys i am up for some fun.
maybe we can try some new mods !!
I see on the previous pages of this thread that some seem bored with 103..heh maybe i can help..
My mail attachment is not working at the mo :hide:
Dont Shoot me Yahoo
I think i gave Tosa a version a little while back that could be a little interesting..sorry Mongol guys your Mongol cav archers no longer have 60 ammo.. i think i gave them a little less in this mod hehe.
Version 106 or was it 105 Tosa ?? :dizzy2: cant remember !
Toda's

LittleGrizzly
10-30-2004, 05:53
if your on about the mongol mod it was 1.05 (is included in the statswapper) if not then i haven't heard of it....

Togakure
10-30-2004, 13:58
105 is the stat that I and some others have used a bit for Mongol games in the past. Much fun! If I remember correctly, TosaInu mentioned that it was you--MizuToda--who developed that stat, back when I packaged it up with the installer.

I just checked the ammo. Mongol Light Cav have 28 ammo in 102, and 50 in 103 and 105.

Mongol Cav (both Light and Heavy) have 48 men in a unit in 102, and 60 men in a unit in 103 and 105.

Because Mongol Units are generally expensive, we found that playing at 7K favored the Japanese a bit. We bumped up koku in the Mongol games to 8K (sometimes more just for kicks). But that was just us. I'll be curious to see what others think when they try it.

Jochi Khan
10-30-2004, 14:04
Hi Toda...

I think you refer to version 1.06.

I remember you sending it to me a few months ago.

The 1.05 Mongol we played way back in the good old days :duel:

I hope to be online about 20.00 or 21.00 tonight and tomorrow night.
(8pm or 9pm UK time) We'll be back on GMT tomorrow night (clocks go BACK ONE hour tonight)

Will look for you :charge:

Jochi

Orda Khan
10-30-2004, 22:05
Sorry to **** on the chips

103 mod was played at 8k, we changed to 8k from 7k ages ago, before MTW.

105 mod was played at 8k

Toda I think you will need to do some checking to confirm your stats as I remember 3 new sets that you sent to me after 105 ~;)

......Orda

Jochi Khan
10-30-2004, 23:49
Yes Orda, you are right, 8k was the koku level we played at for those games then, the 1.03 and 1.05.

After 3 hours of trying to log on to Fakeserver this evening (at intervals) I have decided to call it a night :dizzy2:

All I keep getting is..Failed to connect.

Not sure if Tosa's Fakeserver is up tonight

Will try again tomorrow evening.

Jochi

Sasaki Kojiro
10-30-2004, 23:59
If you get failed to connect it means the server isn't up.

Togakure
10-31-2004, 01:32
... or that you have an error in your .cfg file ... the message indicates that the two PCs can't establish an IP connection. "Loggin In" ... happens after an IP connection is made.

Edit: this info is for others who read the thread and try to connect--I understand that you, Jochi, have connected before and thus know that your .cfg file is ok.

TosaInu
10-31-2004, 12:00
The server at 212.238.194.39 is up. Port is 8793 like previously and not the STW WE default 8794.

Jochi Khan
10-31-2004, 16:11
It is 1500 hrs GMT. Logged on to server with no problems today.

Yes, we know my cfg file is set ok.
We have played online before.

Jochi

Sasaki Kojiro
10-31-2004, 22:48
Server taken down while we were playing apparently, couldn't chat after coming back from the game and couldn't connect when tried to relog.

edit: nm back up now, weird login problems though :dizzy2:

Sasaki Kojiro
11-01-2004, 02:37
yup yup just end it here...

Iguanus Commodus
11-01-2004, 11:16
I see not much has changed. :no:

PaolinoPaperino
11-01-2004, 22:56
Uh? Really?
BTW, Now there are some of the old players who join again the foyer.

Kas
11-02-2004, 00:19
:hide:

TosaInu
11-03-2004, 20:05

TosaInu
11-07-2004, 15:14

todaswarriors
11-07-2004, 19:59
yep..
Happy days 19;00 gmt
~:cheers: server is running fine
Ohh i forgot to read posts a page or 2 back..slackness ~:cool: about another mod..
My lastest version has only 15 No Dachi,3 Kensai
MLC have on 37 arrows this time..
Mongol javlin throwers have 11 honor with a 26 man unit size..
quiet nasty in the right situation ~;)
Yari cav have more armour with a low unit count.
This is my finished version of 106
The minute my mail problem is sorted you can try it..

TosaInu
11-14-2004, 14:15

Puzz3D
11-14-2004, 16:39
Failed to connect.

TosaInu
11-14-2004, 18:09
The internet connection corrupted along the way; rebooted and running now.

Kansuke
11-14-2004, 20:15
Also, Failed to log-on.

Jochi Khan
11-14-2004, 20:33
Have tried a number of times today.

Keep getting....failed to connect

Jochi

TosaInu
11-14-2004, 22:15
:embarassed: The NAT IP changed. Try again please.

Jochi Khan
11-14-2004, 23:28
Hello Tosa

22.15 GMT Finaly got here.

I'm the only one of one.

Jochi ~:confused:

PaolinoPaperino
11-15-2004, 19:20
Sorry m8,
I'm on holidays here...
and CD left at home. :smartass2:

Iguanus Commodus
11-18-2004, 22:16
Is the fakeserver still up?

PaolinoPaperino
11-21-2004, 20:57
back home
but I cannot connect me as well ~:confused:

Zipper Yamamoto
11-21-2004, 22:58
Sunday 21/11/04 21.45 GMT
I don't think the Tosa server is up today??
If anyone has any info. please post here......I'm happy to pass the info. on to all the other clans that have been participating in the SOS courtesy of Tosa Fake-Server.

Take care all Shoggietes........I'm sure we shall all gather once more to do battle.

Zipper ~:)

TosaInu
11-23-2004, 16:21
Hello,

The NAT was acting up after unplugging a cable, the server is up and I could connect to it from another PC on the network. Anyone from the outside should be able to logon as well. Sorry for the inconvenience.

PaolinoPaperino
11-23-2004, 18:57
I'm IN, I'M In, I'm iN, InNn..yeahOOoOO ~:cool:

SOSamurai
11-23-2004, 22:31
Well, I finally find an oportunity to connect to the server and after several attempts, manage to get on. Seems I'm th only one though. Just my luck ^^.
I'll be idling in there for quite awhile checking in every 10 minutes or so so I can hopefully find someone to test if I can hold a proper battle on the server or not.

Sasaki Kojiro
11-28-2004, 16:19
wheeee people in the foyer already ~:)

todaswarriors
11-28-2004, 18:15
Happy days server is up..28/11 5:15 gmt on me own though..hmmhave a look again about 7pm

Sasaki Kojiro
11-29-2004, 00:09
Nice SOS day :)

TosaInu
11-30-2004, 12:14
The server is continiously running since 23/11/04. Rebooted it a few hours ago as the connection was starting to act.

Tsar140
12-03-2004, 15:43
~:)

Hello everyone who still plays Shogun. I am new to the game but both me and a friend are interested in playing online. How often is the server up?

Looking forward to playing. ~:cheers:

Kensai
12-09-2004, 22:54
Hi all,
I've been playing Shogun since the very first executable (demo) but never been member of any TW community. Better late than ever so howdy all! :bow:

After playing so many SP campaigns and battles I find it almost natural to ask for MP as well, too bad the official lobby is down.

Luckily one guy from the official fora passed me this link and told me I can play here.

Is the server still up? Also, can you please post a simple howto to the official STW forum as well, some guys don't go there and viceversa.

Thanks,
Constantine.

PS. I hope we play v1.02 WI/ME cause it's IMO the best patch.
PPS. I would like to run a 'fakeserver' as well, if you tell me how I can set it for Wednesdays, I have a fairly good line DSL 2048/512 and nice rig.

Sasaki Kojiro
12-09-2004, 23:17
Server should still be up, even on Wednsdays.

Kensai
12-09-2004, 23:19
Yes indeed, I was just in but no one was present... is this normal? I was expecting two-three guys by this hour.

Does it have to do with the fact I run v1.02? What is this unofficial v1.03?! Argh, I should read that thread...

Kensai
12-09-2004, 23:44
What do you guys run mostly on 'fakeserver'? v1.03 or v1.05?
(also where can I find v1.05 just in case)

Jochi Khan
12-10-2004, 01:14
Hi Kensai

Welcome.

Patch v1.02 seems to be the most popular for playing
so you shouldn't have any problems.

Jochi

kireirei
12-12-2004, 14:30
hello all,
heres the problem - i have been unable to connect since getting dropped ohhh ages back. i have reloaded shogun and the 1.02 patch , i have changed the internet configto 8793. still all i get is failed to connect. could my username and/or password be no good? anything else?
any help before i give up and put stw in the bin.

Sasaki Kojiro
12-12-2004, 20:12
hello all,
heres the problem - i have been unable to connect since getting dropped ohhh ages back. i have reloaded shogun and the 1.02 patch , i have changed the internet configto 8793. still all i get is failed to connect. could my username and/or password be no good? anything else?
any help before i give up and put stw in the bin.

You don't need a password and you can use any username you want. Since you are getting "failed to connect" there is no problem there.

You need to do more than change that one number to 8793, you have to put the ip address in as the first line as well. Look on the first page of this thread, it should have the info you need.

Kensai
12-12-2004, 21:47
Is the server down on something today? I have been trying to connect but stay on the "Logging on..." screen. I've been connecting ok these past days so I guess it's not the settings. Perhaps many of you old veterans are on the server right now and there is no space for me. :)

TosaInu
12-12-2004, 21:54
It's running Kensai.

Kensai
12-13-2004, 00:14
Tosa Inu, no good.
It's rather strange cause I connected from the first moment the other day on my first try. Now nothing... It stucks on the "Logging on..." screen. On one of the tries (after going to Windows and restarting the game) it also gave me the [strange] message that I have to register for my name... lol, register on the unofficial servers? The next time again "Logging on...".

ChatserverIPAddress = 212.238.194.39
ChatserverPort = 8793
NewsserverPort = 8797

Here is my internet.cfg file. Is it a freak error on my system? Damn I wanted so much to connect this Sunday.

TosaInu
12-13-2004, 01:25
Hello Kensai,

No need to register. The config looks fine. What you may try is using a different familyname? You're using a firewall?

Kensai
12-13-2004, 02:16
Yes, I have a firewall (Norton Personal Firewall) but it's already fixed to give all network privileges to ShogunW.exe. I set it on my first successful connection four days ago and haven't touched anything. Why should I afterall.

I tried many different family names, it can't be that. Anyway I'll keep trying, perhaps it's a temporary network error that has to do with my ISP, I'll let you know.

Kensai
12-13-2004, 14:12
This morning out-of-the-blue on my first try it connected... However I disconnected immediately and tried another name and then again couldn't connect due to the stuck "Logging on..." picture.

I don't believe it's a name thing cause I tried some really strange name combinations. I suspect that there is something like a log or cache on the server-side where it stores IPs or names and perhaps it blacklists temporarily clients that behave erratically. Perhaps it didn't like the fact that from the same IP two names tried to connect at a very low distance of time.

If this is the case then perhaps you need to clear that cache/log now and then or set it to be less severe.

It's only a theory this of course...

Jochi Khan
12-13-2004, 14:30
One thing that has worked for some people before,......
try re-entering your details......name... password etc

Jochi

Kensai
12-13-2004, 21:00
One thing that has worked for some people before,......
try re-entering your details......name... password etc

Jochi
Password? I never entered a password on the fakeserver. ~:confused:
Lol, can it be that?

Tosa Inu, do we need passwords?

Sasaki Kojiro
12-13-2004, 21:02
No.

SOSamurai
12-13-2004, 23:57
I think you're totally over thinking the whole connection process. 75% of the time I don't connect first time round, and this, I believe, is the same for many people. If it sticks at "logging on" for more than 5 seconds, that's usually your cue to give up the connection attempt and retry. Afew tries should see you hitting "Logged On". If it happens to hang at "Logged On", You may need to dc from server and even change your name temporarily. These aren't proven working methods, just what I do to help me connect as smoothly as possible.

TosaInu
12-14-2004, 12:11
I looked at it again Kensai. There's someone who's hanging in there, I've restarted the server. Hope that fixes it. Please try again.

kireirei
12-18-2004, 14:53
thanks sasaki,
should read the posts better. logged on and hope somebody else tries today.
as for logging on i find i need to run norton virus scan for a few moments before trying, then it works first or second attempt!

Tsar140
12-22-2004, 03:57
Hi... My freind and I have tried to log on the fakeserver to play multiplayer. We log on fine and even can chat with each other, but neither of us can see the games the other one tries to host. Also neither of us are able to create a chat room. Both of us have disabled our firewalls and are running WE version 1.02. Does anyone know what the problem could be? We changed our internet.cgf files. Is there something else we must to inorder to host or join games??

Puzz3D
12-23-2004, 17:00
Open a MS DOS box and try to ping the other player's ip address. If you get a response, he should be able to host and you see it. If you get no response, then something is blocking you from seeing his machine such as a hardware router or firewall setting.

It's not possible to create chat rooms with fakeserver.

kireirei
12-24-2004, 16:10
does anybody play anymore?
i keep popping in but the only person i have seen is heavysword.
where are all my friends?

Sasaki Kojiro
12-24-2004, 21:58
Celebrating Christmas with the family no doubt.

pie3ak
12-25-2004, 22:46
Hey all!
What do You say, we set a date and log on ti server at specific time?

Pie3ak

Tsar140
12-30-2004, 15:36

Thanks Puzz3d...I'll give that a try.

TosaInu
01-02-2005, 16:55

Sasaki Kojiro
01-02-2005, 18:36
Not for me...

TosaInu
01-02-2005, 19:06
hmm

TosaInu
01-02-2005, 21:15
It's using chatserverport 8793!

Khan^
01-03-2005, 23:23
------------------------------------------------
Do you play Shogun:Total War v1.12 on the server?
------------------------------------------------

Togakure
01-04-2005, 00:50
iirc, 1.12 can be played on the fakeserver. You should be able to battle online if you can find someone else with 1.12. Therein lies the problem--most (who still play occasionally; there aren't many nowadays) use WE/MI 1.02 or better. Your versions have to match in order to battle against each other.

I know there are some here who still have 1.12 and have said in the past they'd enjoy some original Shogun MP matches. Maybe they will speak up and arrange to meet with you. Good luck (and welcome to the Org).

kireirei
01-11-2005, 22:40
really is shogun dead?

Togakure
01-12-2005, 01:33
It seems that some still log into the fakeserver on Sundays, looking for games. From what I've read here and elsewhere, the problem seems to be that people show up at different times. If you check in periodically on Sundays from 7pm to midnight GMT you might find folks wanting to play. I know Anskar, Betou, Zipper, Heavy and a few others have been there recently.

Personally, my public Shogun MP days are done. On the rare occasion that I hanker for a game, I just contact my m8s and throw up a fakeserver, or respond to their invitation. Perhaps that would be a good thing for you to do--the software is quite easy to install and run. You can get it here, from the download area of the main website.

HunkinElvis
01-25-2005, 13:52
Thanks TosaInu for creating an MP for us. I miss the WE MP very much. ~:mecry:

HunkinElvis
01-25-2005, 14:17
Hmm. I went to http://212.238.194.39/ and I got a "couldn't find the server or DNS error."

HunkinElvis
01-25-2005, 14:26
:help: I'm not a computer expert. Where and what is the STW root directory? How do I configure the internet.cfg?

HunkinElvis
01-25-2005, 14:35
Got it. All I have to do is to download files from the server. Do I need to register? Do we log on the same way we did with EA? Do I need a name and a password? Sorry to bother you.

HunkinElvis
01-25-2005, 14:42
I read this thread and found out that I don't need to register. All I have to do is wait for the server to work so that I can download files. I hope I can see you people on Sunday. ~:cheers:

Jochi Khan
01-25-2005, 14:50
Root directory...
go..program files..totalwar..shogun tw.
This will show you the root dir.
In here you will see all the folders and files for the game.
Look for the Internet.cfg or Internet file.
Double click this file and change the...ChatserverIPAddress to
ChatserverIPAddress =212.238.194.39
and the ChatserverPort to ChatserverPort =8793.
It should ask you to save changes.

You don't need to register but you will need to create a player name.
No password necessary and log on in the usual way.

Sometimes it may take a few attempts to log on.

Good Luck

Jochi

HunkinElvis
01-25-2005, 15:02
Thanks Jochi. :bow:
Here I go.

HunkinElvis
02-16-2005, 03:22
When you're done with single-player, you can try out the new multi-player server:
https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=36736
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/philip.donald/AggonyLinks.htm

Shambles
03-11-2005, 15:23
Just adding my servers Ip adress to here as well.
Ive added it to a few posts,

But incase you have trouble loging on to other servers hers mine.

ShogunTW.no-ip.info

Arodrake
04-16-2005, 21:13
I have troubles connecting to my friend in a multiplayer game. We can both connect to the chatroom, but when one of us hosts, the other cant see.
Can anyone help?

Shambles
04-16-2005, 22:02
Please tell us how your connecting to the game?
and what game versions and or mods do you both have,

Arodrake
04-16-2005, 22:04
My friend is using warlord editon v1.00 and im using the original STW V1.12.

We connected by changing the "Internet.cfg" file.

Shambles
04-16-2005, 22:06
You both need the same game version,

I.e V1.00 or whatever,

I Think you can use those games,
But maby you both need Warlord edition,
"I dont think so but im not shure"
But start by finding the same Version number

like v1.02

Arodrake
04-16-2005, 22:11
mm... I have version 1.12, Do i have to reinstall again? Or is there a Version 1.02 patch somewhere?

Shambles
04-16-2005, 22:19
you can download statsswaper

from download section.
I will get u a link "keep refreshing this page"

Shambles
04-16-2005, 22:24
you can download statsswaper

from download section.
I will get u a link "keep refreshing this page"
http://snow.prohosting.com/tdrabags/Statswapper.exe

Should download faster from there (well start sooner)

And you can download a patch as well

Hope that helps

This was sposed to be a edit. Ended up posting twice any way.

Arodrake
04-16-2005, 22:36
mm... the statswapper works but still, I cant join or see my friend hosting.

Blizzer
04-16-2005, 23:48
The problem is that when we host the game doesnt appear at the top of the screen. We are both using Version 1.02, is it something we are doing wrong?
Btw our internet.cfg files are correct. So far we have been trying to play online for ages and it never appears whatever we do! any suggestions? Maybe its nt able to host at the moment?

P.S. and when you refer to tidas's server are you talking about his fakeserver or hs game server he hosts.

Shambles
04-16-2005, 23:55
some 1 has to host Fakeserv,
" i beleve tosa hosts a fakeserver and i do as well"
Essentialy pretending to be EA's old server.
You connect to them,

I dont know if You can play Shogun vs Shogun WE.
Maby that is your problem,
You may want to ask in the apocethary, "i dont know properly what its called"

Shambles
04-16-2005, 23:56
If you like i can come on the server I am using v1.02 Warlord edition.

So see if you can see the game I host

Please let me know

Togakure
04-17-2005, 01:43
This is a classic problem and happened all the time on the old official server as well.

The server, whether it was the old official one or a Fakeserver, must be able to "see" the IP of the person wanting to host. If you are running a firewall on your PC, or there is a firewall in place somewhere between you and the server, you will see the game when you attempt to host, but no one else will.

In the past people that could would shut down their firewalls when they wanted to host. Either that or have someone else host. I imagine if you know how to configure your firewall port management you can get around the problem, but I haven't read of many who were successful in doing this.

Try shutting down your firewall and then hosting a game. My guess is, unless there is another firewall between you and your gaming m8, he will be able to see your game when you do.

Blizzer
04-17-2005, 13:43
No we closed our firewalls and tried we must have wasted a good couple of hours trying to sort it out im coming online now tho.

Blizzer
04-17-2005, 14:51
just wanted to add im hosting a game now so can any of you come online to see if you can see it?

Shambles
04-17-2005, 21:02
Hey blizzer Il come see whats wrong if you like,

Il be here for a while now so reply when you can so i know whats happening

Togakure
04-17-2005, 23:15
I just logged in to the fakeserver to see if by chance anyone was there. No one home at the moment. I'll stay logged in for a while to see if anyone happens by. If anyone is looking for a few games, I'm on the fakeserver now (marked as Away From Keyboard, AFK, but I'll be checking periodically to see if anyone's there).

Shambles
04-18-2005, 16:20
Ive had to give up on tosas fake server,
For some reason its tryes to conect a few times,

then the usual loging on stuff,
So i try again
And then it says Failed to connect,

usualy it would just say Loging on.
and then id kep trying untill it eventualy says
Loged in

But last few times It just Decided to say Cannot conect,

So Im just gonna be using my server from now on,

Oh and Blizer,
You need to delete some of ya private messages,
i cant send you any pm's to confirm anything you asked me.
becous you have no space

Togakure
04-18-2005, 17:25
My friend Kas is having the same problems, and it's really bumming us out :(.

I'm able to connect. When Kas tries, I see a blank name appear in the roster with 0 honor, while he just sees a "Logging on ..." message. When he tries multiple times, I see multiple blank names, which persist in the foyer long after he stops trying. Obviously he is connecting, but his PC seems not to be transmitting required info to the fakeserver to actually make it into the foyer. Finally, if I log out right after and try to get back in, it doesn't recognize my name and won't let me connect! Very strange stuff. When I change my name and family surname, then I can get in again.

Blizzer made it in and we managed to finally get a game going after several tries. It was lagging badly, but we both had music on which is not good. He said he might be able to try again later tonight. I have a slow connection, but I've hosted successfully before with minimal lag on Tosa's server many times before so ... don't know what was up with that.

Blizzer's friend has a router and couldn't see the hosted games. My guess is the router is blocking a needed port.

Man, I wish we could resolve these issues as I'm really wanting some games. Would be fun to get some new folks up to speed on MP so we can have some good 2v2s etc. Guess we'll just have to keep trying.

Shambles, if you send me a copy of your Internet.cfg file for your server via e-mail, I can try to access your server for some games too. My e-mail is funkymonk002@hotmail.com.

Shambles
04-18-2005, 17:38
You can download em from
dflw.2ya.com
in the downloads section

But il send

Togakure
04-18-2005, 17:39
I think I'm in your foyer now. Join me.

Arodrake
04-18-2005, 17:48
Okay... I think I managed to open the port but im not so sure if it is working though because I need someone to test it. :/

Togakure
04-18-2005, 17:53
LOL! I'm in Shambles pad at the moment, but I'll run over to Tosa's real quick to help you. Shambles is installing the 1.02 patch anyway so hopefully he won't miss me. If he does, he'll likely look here so he'll know what's up.

Shambles, I'll be back to yours, maybe with some m8s, as soon as I help Arodrake test. Back in a bit ... .

Shambles
04-18-2005, 17:57
Ok.

I just cant connect to tosas server. (well couldnt earlier)
Have been able to be fore,

So i think TogakureOjonin is coming to help you Test

Togakure
04-18-2005, 18:00
Gah! No one is in Tosa's place :|. I'll wait for 5 minutes, then I'm headin' back to Shambles' pad for some games :D.

Anyone wants to join his server, just open the internet.cfg file in your game folder and change the top line's IP address to: ShogunTW.no-ip.info.

Togakure
04-18-2005, 18:07
Double Gah! Shambles, I'm headin' back to your server. Blizz and Aro, if you want to join us just adjust your internet.cfg files with the info in my last post. It goes in the first line, after the equal sign. Then log in as normal. Hope to see you guys there. We can test on his server just as effectively as on Tosa's.

ISOGI!!

Togakure
04-18-2005, 18:28
Man I tell ya, I can't win for losing ... .

Shambles, when I try to connect to your server now, my computer hangs up at "Connecting." It freezes. The first couple of times I could CNTL+ALT+DEL and get back to the desktop (Shogun had "Stopped Responding"). When I restarted the game and tried repeatedly, it locked and forced me to reboot the PC. I've tried 5-6 times now.

The file is EXACTLY the same. I don't change the data in it. I keep separate files for each fakeserver in folders and just swap them in and out of the main game folder, so I know it should work, because it worked before. The only change I made was to mute my sound for better MP performance (which all players should do).

Rather than get stuck yet again, I'm going to swap and see if I can get to Tosa's now. If I can, then I'll swap again and try to get to yours.

Sorry m8, I'm doing the best I can. Hopefully I will be there before too long.

Togakure
04-18-2005, 18:32
Ok I logged in to Tosa's without a hitch. now I'll swap files and try yours again [crosses fingers ...].

EDIT:

Nope ... I'm hanging up at "Connecting ..." m8. Could installing the 1.02 beta patch have affected the fakeserver files in any way? If they're in a separate folder that's not a subfolder of the Shogun game folder, I can't see how ... . I just don't get it. Do you want to try and access Tosa's again? I just did successfully, but can't seem to get to yours now.

I'll wait for a response from you before proceeding further. The e-mail I gave you is also my MSN Messenger addy, so if you want post here first to let me know and then we can chat live via MSN if you want.

EDIT 2:

Triple-confirmed. I hang at "Connecting," which then yields the message "cannot connect" after about a minute. If I ALT+TAB out and switch to Tosa's cfg file, I can log right in to Tosa's server no problem. I'm there now. Don't know what else to do, so I'll wait until I hear what you're up to here.

Shambles
04-18-2005, 19:13
No its not v1.02..

cos trish came online and we had a game....

It some times says loging in for me then i haft to try again
So i dunno.

Play on tosas server if ou can get on there,
But when i try to conect to tosas server same thing happens to me..
Hangs at conecting...
Then says cannot conect...

I dunno whats up

Togakure
04-18-2005, 19:20
Well I swapped and tried and now I seem to be in there (go figure ... this is just too weird). I'm pretty sure it's your place. If you want, come join me.

Shambles
04-18-2005, 19:22
Trish will join you.
She playes 2 im a lil busy :)

Togakure
04-18-2005, 19:55
Well it works :). Trish is very nice *bows*. An interesting defensive formation--through me for a loop at first. I'll hang out for a bit and surf while I wait. If you have time I hope you'll drop in later. Sure is nice to have folks to play with again.

Shambles
04-18-2005, 20:42
Yah but she fails to respond to attacks,
And tends to let people stand there Whilst there geting slaughtered,

but shes getting better.
I will be playing later on tonight but not for a while.
So maby il see u later.