PDA

View Full Version : Comments and Suggestions

frogbeastegg
09-28-2004, 10:06
If you have any comments or suggestions please feel free to post them here.

Axeknight
09-28-2004, 21:34
The Empire of the Frog expands.

How about a similar thread to the 'How to use Horse Archers' from MTW guides? Or even expand that to 'How to use...' light infantry, phalanxes, cavalry, legionaries etc?
However, I know nothing about anyting.

Ludens
10-01-2004, 17:14
How about a similar thread to the 'How to use Horse Archers' from MTW guides? Or even expand that to 'How to use...' light infantry, phalanxes, cavalry, legionaries etc?
I think you are missing the point of 'combined arms'. Phalanxes themselves are easy to use: just march towards the enemy, lower your spears and start poking. But to use them effectivily you need to support them with other unit types. And that is part of a complete battlefield guide, not one dedicated to one unit type. Horse archers got a guide of their own because they work relativily independently from the rest of the army (though they still require support to be effective) and they need a bit more care than most other units. Also, not everyone was able to find out how they should be used. None of these three arguments apply on 'ordinary units' and anyone who had read a good battlefield guide should be able to work out how they should be used.

Axeknight
10-01-2004, 18:37
Good point, Ludens. I still say another Horse Archer guide would be a good idea, but you're right.

Steppe Merc
10-03-2004, 23:44
Could we also have guides for nonplayable factions? Pretty much everyone modded it so we can play as them, so it makes sense to have guides for them to.

frogbeastegg
10-04-2004, 09:23
Yes, we can add a thread for the other factions too. If someone can post a complete list of the factions to be added that would be great; I'm still finishing my first mini campaign ...

frogbeastegg
10-04-2004, 17:20
Never mind; I stumbled across a list while looking for something else.

jbluvchild
10-04-2004, 23:16
Were can I get ahold of the "mods" to play as other factions. I still dont understand why we were only allowed 3 factions that are just about the same , that really disappoints me

Quietus
10-05-2004, 02:33
Hi Frog and Kukri,

Request: Can you guys or any other mods move my post entitled "A Quick Strategic Map Guide & Primer to RTW" (from the Colosseum) to this section (RTW Guides).

Thx ~:)

frogbeastegg
10-05-2004, 09:13
jbluvchild, check this topic (https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=37286) for details of both the unlocking system and a link to the mod.

Quietus, I'll PM the Colosseum mods.

bommelkind
10-06-2004, 14:07
Hi
pls help me
maybe this sounds stupid but i read in the rome TW manual that it is possible to play other factions then the three roman ones. and i read some guides about other factions in this forum as well. BUT HOW DO I PLAY THESE OTHER FACTIONS???? =) when i start singleplayer campain i can only choose between the three roman houses.
am i just stupid or is it really that difficult?

frogbeastegg
10-06-2004, 14:17
To unlock the other factions you need to finish any of the Roman campaigns on any difficulty; even an easy/easy short campaign will do. I did it on normal/normal with the Julii short campaign.

bommelkind
10-06-2004, 14:59
Thank You :)

Ludens
10-07-2004, 17:09
Another suggestion: a thread with links to other guides. There is no need to restrict this forum to contributions of Org members. We could start with the Gamespy guide and add new ones as they become available.

frogbeastegg
10-08-2004, 09:41
I have added a topic for links to outside pages and tools. You can advertise the Gamespy guide there.

V'ger
10-09-2004, 21:38
:book: Hi,

I just wanted to give those kind enough to write these guides a biggie-sized vote of thanks. Whether one is experienced or not, it's always valuable to read another's strategies. Heck, it's almost as much fun to read about R:TW as it is to play. (Or mod.) ~;)

Quietus
10-10-2004, 03:14
Hi Froggie and Kukri (nice rhyme ~D ),

Could you peeps "sticky" my post "A Quick Strategic Map Guide & Primer"? (Since update rate is very variable unlike the faction guides; I've just posted part 3 of my Julii argument btw).

Thx!

Doug-Thompson
10-11-2004, 21:54
Ludens;

The principles of your M:TW horse archer guide still apply. If anything, HA are much easier to use in R:TW because of:

1. Deployment, even if you are attacking.
2. The ability to wheel, changing the facing of your unit.
3. The "-/+" system for extending your line or drawing it in.
4. Skirmish mode seems to work properly.

The unit is much easier to handle now, IMO

TheDuck
10-12-2004, 21:28
Horse archers are good now, but as before, beware massed foot archers.

Koguryo_hotpocket
10-14-2004, 00:40
Old Alt+left click!!1

Maintaining the face of gruop: definally, we need this. Remember when units were fromed in agroup, how did Alt+leftclick on the ground worked in Medieval and shogun? They kept their facing while they were moving(in both going forward, or backward).

It was so useful for both archers and infantaries when they made 'shoot and run' move. Now, in RTW, archers are much stronger, and they are taking much bigger part in the game. We need a move something like Alt+leftclick to use skirmash.

right now, we are using right-click-drag to step back our archers, and it's so annoying. : furious3:

lismore
10-22-2004, 13:28
Hi

Does anyone have a list of 'cheat' codes?

Thanks ~D

afrit
10-22-2004, 21:45
Froggy,
great work. Again.

Are you planning on adding more threads for a more in-depth look at specific topics? I suggest you add threads for :

-Population
-Public order and rebellions
-Trade
-Diplomacy
-Spies and Assassins
-Family tree management
-Naval battles
-Tips and Cheats

I checked the table of contents, and it only has links to factions strategies.

just my 2 cents.

Brysk
10-24-2004, 16:22
A list of retinues, traits, and vices might be helpful later, though while I would try to build up a list of my own, I don't know how to find them all besides just trying to get them all.

frogbeastegg
10-26-2004, 18:08
All these server troubles have me running days behind :(

afrit, er, good question. The idea with this forum is to try and keep all the topics on one page so this does limit the number we can have. There's also the issue of having repeating information. I am trying to get complete/in-depth guides to a few of those areas in my own guide. Tamur has handled diplomacy very well with help from others; he has his own sticky thread over in the RTW forum. I suppose I could add a link to that in our TOC even though it's outside this forum. Tips so far have been broken up between all the topics in here. Um, it's actually quite an awkward question to answer.

Also I need to update the TOC, thanks for reminding me.

Loki_666
12-01-2004, 07:55
There seems to be guides for everyone apart from the Senate. Im of the understanding that this faction can be unlocked. Has anyone played as the Senate?

sapi
12-01-2004, 09:30
There seems to be guides for everyone apart from the Senate. Im of the understanding that this faction can be unlocked. Has anyone played as the Senate?
The senate has a number of bugs, not the least the fact that there are no senate missions for anyone if you play as the senate, so the romans find it hard to expand.

Some people over at the Colosseum have suggested a "Rebels/Slaves" thread to discuss the unique challenges this (modded) faction presents. Any ideas?

Loki_666
12-01-2004, 09:43
Yeah, understand about it being buggy as the game was never designed with playing as SPQR in mind (or the rebels for that matter). However, ivve heard people say that as long as you dont do certain things (eg: click on senate missions tab while playing as senate) then you can avoid crashes.

So playing as Senate means the roman factions find it hard to expand? What a shame... makes for a challenging game, and at least you probably wont have to worry about the other Roman factions knocking at romes gates demanding entry.

Maybe someone should give it a go and write a peice for this forum... or maybe i will do once im finished with Age of Wonders: Shadow Magic.... what a fun game. ;-) Im no expert at R:TW though so dont expect a report based on a game lasting more than 50 years or so before i get my nether regions kicked by Carthage\Gaul\Germania etc unless i play on easy.

archdruid
12-01-2004, 16:37
[new member sorry if not relevant 2 topic] a simple way of modding... iv found that if you open the export unit description folder in data fldrs, you can add any unit of any faction to your own by simply highlighting all the text from soldier type down to costs, then cut & copy from another unit & swap around to your hearts content. note:
youll still have the original pictures & descriptions in game unless u edit them aswell. i gave greeks cataphract & cat' archers & selucid legeons, i won o so easy even against advanced romans [i also changed spartans from 40 to 60 men] but good fun! ~:)

Maltz
12-05-2004, 02:35
There was some opinions about getting a "rebel" guide. Rebel is a perfectly playable faction and I think it is actually very fun and challenging. You get to play a lot of different (crap) units and your morale is always at the bottom because you don't have any family member from the start. ~:)

Piko
12-07-2004, 22:37
how do you play as the rebels?

Maltz
12-07-2004, 22:49
https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=40639

Lonewarrior
12-08-2004, 17:54
Hello fellows ~:cheers: well a question: Is there an economy guide anywere here?

edit: nevermind, found it, I was looking in the wrong place.

Piko
12-08-2004, 20:50
thanks

SPAZ31
12-13-2004, 05:01
How do you disable the time limit in a battle in the campaign?

frogbeastegg
12-13-2004, 11:12
How do you disable the time limit in a battle in the campaign?
Before you start your campaign (this is vital – it only works before you start a new game) go into ‘historical battles’ from the main singleplayer menu, then immediately exit without playing any battles. Now go and start your campaign without doing anything else; just go to the campaign screen, select your faction and options and go. Now all battles in this particular campaign will have unlimited time. It's a bug; we can only hope CA include some kind of option in the patch.

The Stranger
12-14-2004, 19:54
:help: how do you get first legions in campaign mode
i saw the enemy with them
but dont have them is it because i played easy or something :help:

MikeV
01-15-2005, 00:34
It would be useful to have a guide on how your actions influence the Senate rankings for your faction. The Pleb ranking seems to be most influences by territorial expansion, but the Senate ranking is less clear. For example, even when fulfilling missions, the Senators' opinions of your faction can still drop. Why is this? Is it related to the faction power graphs in any way?

dismal
02-18-2005, 23:38
Suggestion:

People really need to say what difficulty they're playing when they contribute to the guides.

Lots more strategies work on easier levels.

Epistolary Richard
02-25-2005, 15:29
A while back someone on the forums posted links to two excellent unit guides, but I've spent the last couple hours looking for them (and cursing my failure to bookmark them). If anyone knows what they were I think they'd be a good addition to the Links thread.

Edit: Link has been gratefully supplied by therother and I've posted in the Links thread.

silverballz2002
03-09-2005, 06:08
This may have already been mentioned in despatches. Before embarking on your first Civil war,be sure to save the game under a specific title,say civil war no 1. That way,when you make a complete mess up of it,you can go back to the start, and learn from your mistakes.

Alien of Germania
04-01-2005, 18:28
A sticky with how to manually unlock factions would be good in this forum section.

Quietus
04-02-2005, 02:43
A sticky with how to manually unlock factions would be good in this forum section.My guide section on how to unlock manually was blank because I couldn't find the text to edit, but I'll be updating it soon with credit to LittleCheese07 of TWC. ~:)

edit: Done. I just need to format it to make it look like the files in the desc_strat.txt (which is indented)

frogbeastegg
04-03-2005, 23:12
It's also in my guide. One day, if I remember once I have a bit more time, I'll edit the first post in each faction thread with details of what must be done to play as that faction, be it modding or simply finishing a Roman campaign. That's probably not going to happen for a long time, not until I finish the final update of my guide, but I will try and remember. ~:)

Leftenant Moley
04-11-2005, 17:01
How about a thread(possible sticky) on replays(posted by members) of how battles should be fought. members could discuss setup, moving and on how best to use troops in battle. It might also be good idea to analyze how the computer reacts to certain situations. Those who have difficulty commanding troops effectivley in battle could post their replays. Other Members can then discuss what went wrong. A bit like those move lists in chess. EG 1)white d2-d4 1)black e7-e5 2)white d4-e5

Of course you might want to put a disclaimer int he first post that .org hold no responsablity for any malicous porgrams download from the thread, but i'm sure thats covered in the "terms of use" anyway ~D

Raijer
04-11-2005, 19:18
First and foremost, I'd like to thank Frog, Quietus, and all the others who have taken the time and effort to provide these in-depth guides. Speaking as someone utterly green and inexperienced at this game, I've found them invaluable. I bow deeply in gratitude.

On topic: I would very much like to see something similar to the strategy guides on how to win for each faction, however, with the emphasis placed on how to DEFEAT the faction, i.e. specific strategies to use against specific factions. For example, what are the general strategies I should keep in mind when facing the Macadonians? What type of units should I be building to best take advantage of their particular method of waging war?

Copperhaired Berserker!
04-26-2005, 17:25
Froogy, will you make a thread for each "new" mod like SPQR V.30?:book:

Morat
04-28-2005, 07:38
sunsmountain had an idea about making short "rules of thumb" to help players make use of detailed research work down in the Ludus Manga forum. Perhaps we could have a thread in this forum to contain these rules? More details here https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=40037

KukriKhan
04-29-2005, 02:43
To all: thanks greatly for all the recent suggestions. Near as we can figure, there are 4 major ones:

1. 'Rules of Thumb' topic
2. Separate thread for each mod produced
3. A "How to Defeat' each faction thread, and
4. A 'Replay Analysis' thread

All those ideas have merit in their own right. We're in the process of weighing the pro's and con's of each (feel free to contribute your further ideas on that here). We have to look at resources, staffing, and compatibility issues; remember that the goal is to provide the most informative, accessable, and up-to-date data on the game as possible.

Doing that also means being careful to think about how the reader will/can digest that information. Give him too much to see, his eyes will glaze over, and he'll miss some important info. Give her too little to read, and she'll jump to an incorrect conclusion.

In summary: Thanks for your input. I beg your indulgence, and ask for a few more days to consider what to do, and how to do it.

p.s. our esteemed writer/moderator frogbeastegg is trying to pull out all stops in completing the v1.2 update, and has several other time-consuming irons in the fire at the same time. For the next week or so, please send any PM traffic about the Guides forum to me. Alternately, you can email me jim@jimcee.com . Thanks.

PseRamesses
05-01-2005, 12:24
Froggy,
Since the faction-guide-section originally was my idea back with MTW I suggested that we should have guides-sections of each hosted mod. I´m currently playing RTR like hell and found significant changes in each factions strategy with this mod. I do belive the EB will change the game even more and other mods like SPQR might also. Therefore I suggest that you discuss this request with your fellow mods since I belive that it will be a great addition to this forum. Thanks!

Copperhaired Berserker!
05-01-2005, 18:08
Now know that......(1+post!~D )

KukriKhan
05-01-2005, 21:46
Froggy,
Since the faction-guide-section originally was my idea back with MTW I suggested that we should have guides-sections of each hosted mod. I´m currently playing RTR like hell and found significant changes in each factions strategy with this mod. I do belive the EB will change the game even more and other mods like SPQR might also. Therefore I suggest that you discuss this request with your fellow mods since I belive that it will be a great addition to this forum. Thanks!

OK, let's take this suggestion first: guides for hosted mods.

Questions:
-Who would write those Guides?
-One for each of the 8 current Org-hosted mods?
-What about other non-Org-hosted mods?
-Many of the mods are still under development, write a Guide for the proposed mod anyway?

Copperhaired Berserker!
05-02-2005, 19:39
Well,Krukikhan, for your first question I would say that people who have played it would contribute to these pages. Question number 2.: well you could put up a new forum about every single Org-hosted Mod so let's say that a newbie needed help for a mod e.g SPQR (Don't know if it is a Org hosted mod) and he was playing Parthia well you would have like a sub forum for each hosted mod so like the noob would go into that sub forum and choose the parthia sub forum(put up by frogbeastegg or some other moderater) and hey presto, he get's his guide. question 3.: well ask to host the mod or do another method. Question 4.: put up the sub fourm any way and tell the people waiting for the mod and give them a bit of news and tell them when the mod is out or the beta if it isworth trying it. Hope it answers your questions

Copperhaired Berserker!
05-03-2005, 20:51
Well anyone going to my reply, espeacially Kruki

Copperhaired Berserker!
05-03-2005, 20:53
and another thing, why don't we have a modding guide F.A.Q and people can ask moding questions?

frogbeastegg
05-09-2005, 10:28
Discussion across two very different timezones takes time ~:)

There is already a dedicated forum (https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=77) for modding guides.

The main problem with any attempt at a guide thread/forum/whatever for any mod at the moment is that the mods are not yet finished. They change regularly, and each update normally changes the game quite significantly. That means very often advice, tips, tactics etc become redundant. That's not at all a good situation for a guide, as I'm sure you can understand.

We have considered several possible ways around this, but so far none are satisfactory. A subforum or five is not an option currently; we do not think it would receive enough traffic, and in any case TosaInu is away and he's the one who gives the final yea and does the dirty work of actually creating the forum.

Having a topic for each mod is perhaps a little better, but it will be confusing for readers, frustrating too, because many of the posts will give tips that don't work when the mod updates. Alright, the obvious answer is to request people put in the version of the mod they are using at the start of each post. In theory that solves everything. In practise at least some people won't remember, or won't bother.

We could scrap each thread whenever a new version of the mod comes out and start over fresh with the mod's version included in the title, but that is so wasteful, and quite labour intensive. Binning advice might reduce confusion, but it really goes against the whole point of this forum.

There are also layout issues unique to this forum we have to keep in mind. The idea is to keep all topics on page 1, and not to have a page 2. This keeps the information easy for everyone to find, and removes the problem of people requesting threads which are already there, just on another page. So we have a limited number of slots to play with. We've got (my estimation) 4 slots left. I've no idea how on earth we're going to handle the add-on pack; for now I'll just be glad we've got a good long while before we really need to worry about that.

Finally, modding is perhaps not in this forum's mandate. It might be preferred that all mod related threads go to the modding forums. That's a question for TosaInu.

The confusion/redunacy is the main issue here. If the mods were completed, or if someone wrote a guide proper (e.g. mine, Quietus') then that issue becomes greatly reduced.

Copperhaired Berserker!
05-09-2005, 15:53
well for the mods being changed why don't we do a thread about each faction and after that put like the version number after it? e.g. Parthia v2.0, Brutii v3.0 for spqr

frogbeastegg
05-09-2005, 17:26
Let's assume that there are exactly 12 playable factions in mod X. 12 * 3 versions (a conservative estimate) = 36 topics, most of which will never receive more than a handful of posts. That's a lot of bulk for people to wade through in search of what they require. It's also a lot of work to set up, and would absolutely require the creation of a subforum for mod X.

And that's just for one mod. I can think of ... at least 6 other large scale mods either available now or in the nearish future.

Copperhaired Berserker!
05-09-2005, 20:50
Okay make it that say a persion was doing guide for brutii,v3.0 he would say in his post.simple as that. that cutting down threads etc.

Man I do a lot of explaining

Craterus
05-09-2005, 20:58
If you were really stuck, when playing a certain faction on a certain mod, you could PM a friendly RTW guides regular and see if they play with the same mod as you. Even if they don't play with the same mod, they might be able to help. After all, a strategy game will always have strategy, even if not much in RTW.

Tigranes
05-09-2005, 21:06
I don't know about you guys, but I think a rebel guide would be nice. Sure, it's entirely different from the true campaign, but it's a great challenge. I've got some tips already.

Craterus
05-09-2005, 21:16
Rebel campaign, I got bored of that very quickly but I did wonder why only 19 guides were here, out of the 21 factions available to play. Ok 20, the Senate is buggy if you try to play it.

Tigranes
05-09-2005, 21:19
It is kind of boring without useful diplomats, or the possibility of alliances/trade rights. But you've gotta admit, stacking spies into cities and causing them to rebel with sabotage is fun! ~:cheers:

KukriKhan
05-10-2005, 19:00
Okay make it that say a persion was doing guide for brutii,v3.0 he would say in his post.simple as that. that cutting down threads etc.

Man I do a lot of explaining

What frogbeastegg is trying very politely to say is: we're not going to implement that suggestion at this time.

We agree that it is a good idea, generally, and salute you for that. But actually putting it into practice (and doing it well, so readers can make sense of it) will take more time and effort that we have available at this moment. So it goes on the list of "good ideas to work on, when we have time".

BTW, congrats on your move to full Member. :bow:

Copperhaired Berserker!
05-10-2005, 19:57
Sorry for the misunderstanding but I've gave some good reasons through

PseRamesses
05-17-2005, 13:13
OK, let's take this suggestion first: guides for hosted mods.
Questions:
-Who would write those Guides?
-One for each of the 8 current Org-hosted mods?
-What about other non-Org-hosted mods?
-Many of the mods are still under development, write a Guide for the proposed mod anyway?

Sorry for not being crystal clear regarding my whole idea. I just wanted 1. to see if this was a feat that could be implemented under the guides section. 2. if not then under each respective mods own forum and managed by the modders themselves. So to answer your Q´s:

1. Dedicated gamers (like myself) and the mods own crew ofcourse.
2. Yes.
3. Ok by me but I suggested the hosted ones because they already have their own forums.
4. Ofcourse not. You can´t write a guide for a non-existing mod. I don´t know actually why you even bother to state that Q as an argument.

As FBE states my suggestion would take too much of the mods time and resources which I cleraly see. Couldn´t each hosted mod have one thread openly editable to every member? Is this doable FBE?

frogbeastegg
05-22-2005, 17:06
I'll answer point by point, for clarity.

Sorry for not being crystal clear regarding my whole idea. I just wanted 1. to see if this was a feat that could be implemented under the guides section. 2. if not then under each respective mods own forum and managed by the modders themselves. So to answer your Q´s:

1. Dedicated gamers (like myself) and the mods own crew ofcourse.
Mods have a much more limited user base than the vanilla version of the game, and out of all the people registered and posting here about the vanilla game only a small portion post here in guides. So with a smaller user base you might only get a handful of people. That is a bigger problem than it might sound, unless you are going to do something like mine or Quietus' guides. That only really needs one person and a few hundred hours. Some of the existing vanilla threads are virtually graveyard quiet.

2. Yes.
How many of those mods are currently playable? I admit I don't keep up to date with them, but I can't think of any which are available to the general public. I know EB is approaching beta. Until the mods are playable there is no need for a guide.

3. Ok by me but I suggested the hosted ones because they already have their own forums.
For any mod with an existing forum here it would probably be best to go with your second idea from above and file the guides with the mod itself. It would keep all the information together, and receive more awareness from people with the mod. But you'd have to approach the relevant people for those forums.

The other popular mods, such as RTR and SPQR, come back to the same problems Kukri and I outlined before. They don't have their own forums here, so the chance to offset those problems is not available.

4. Ofcourse not. You can´t write a guide for a non-existing mod. I don´t know actually why you even bother to state that Q as an argument.
A slight misunderstanding, I think. When Kukri said proposed mod he meant the ones which have been put forward for having guides; incomplete but playable mods.

As FBE states my suggestion would take too much of the mods time and resources which I cleraly see. Couldn´t each hosted mod have one thread openly editable to every member? Is this doable FBE?
I've asked TosaInu. It would require mod type powers, so at the least it would need a repeat of the arrangement in place over in the hosted mod forum with a normal user granted a few moderator type powers. Alternatively it would be a new AM or moderator, possibly more than one.

PseRamesses
05-29-2005, 11:43
Thanks for your time and effort FBE, as always you´re so helpful. It´s a pity this idea isn´t gonna work since I see a zillion Q´s and posts in the forums regarding tips, tricks, explanations to the existing mods. Take care!

Emperor declares jihad
06-26-2005, 23:06
Hi, Ive downoaded RTW (up through 5.1) and the game starts, but it only lets me choose the prologue. THis was fine, but it doesnt let me actually PLAY the prologue, just sends me back to the startup screen. needless to say, i cannot travel onward to play RTW's campaign...any help would be appreciated, thanx.
:help:

PseRamesses
06-28-2005, 11:33
how do you play as the rebels?
In your Data/ World/ maps/ Campaign/ Descr_strat text file edit this:

campaign imperial_campaign
playable
romans_julii
romans_brutii
romans_scipii
end
unlockable
egypt
seleucid
carthage
parthia
gauls
germans
britons
greek_cities
end
nonplayable
romans_senate
macedon
pontus
armenia
dacia
scythia
spain
thrace
numidia
slave
end

...to this:

campaign imperial_campaign
playable
romans_julii
romans_brutii
romans_scipii
egypt
seleucid
carthage
parthia
gauls
germans
britons
greek_cities
romans_senate
macedon
pontus
armenia
dacia
scythia
spain
thrace
numidia
slave
end
unlockable
end
nonplayable
end

countvlada
07-03-2005, 12:19
has anyone heard about that new mod for barbarian expansion that takes the map to japan

jacked
07-03-2005, 17:49
a mod that takes you to japan ~:confused:

frogbeastegg
07-04-2005, 15:50
Sorry for the even worse than usual delay; I was stuck on this time consuming, boring, compulsory course for a few weeks, and I only just got my life back to myself again.

Emperor declares jihad It's been ages since I tried RTR (back around 4.0) but I remember that you need to complete the tutorial and prologue with an unmodded game first. Then apply the mod, then choose the newly added 'provincial campaign' option. All other game modes crash, except that one.

There is a .txt file edit you can do to fool the game into thinking you have completed the prologue, but I don't remember what it was. Someone else will know :waits for helpful person ...:

countvlada I think you mean the Sengoku Jidai mod (https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=85) for RTW. It's not complete, but it is based in Japan.

McDoogle
07-12-2005, 09:11
I have heard alot about using spies to spark rebellions...

How the hell does that work?

Taurus
07-12-2005, 10:19
Hi all (especially mods), ~:)

Just wondering, is it possible to have a new sub-forum in the rtw multiplayer section.
In this new sub-forum we would have guides like the ones in this forum (one topic for every faction) but for multiplayer strategies.

The guides in this forum are for all singleplayer strats arn't they?

Thanks,
~:cheers:

pezhetairoi
07-13-2005, 01:18
Boo, what if I was writing a guide to bribing and multi-front preparations for offensives? Would it be stickied here or would be more practical to stick it elsewhere?

McDoogle
07-19-2005, 07:13
I asked, but i didn't get answer, so i shall ask again.

"I have heard alot about using spies to spark rebellions...

How the hell does that work?"

Anyone?

frogbeastegg
07-22-2005, 15:26
Sorry; I've been out of action for 17 days because my PC got fried by a thunderstorm. :furious3:

McDoogle: send a spy into an enemy city. If they infiltrate successfully they will cause a bit of unrest. Use multiple spies to cause more unrest; you may need to use absolute hordes of spies, and even then they might not cause enough trouble to start a rebellion.

Vip3r: yes, this forum is SP only. I think that MP tips would best belong in the RTW MP forum category, closer to its target audience, and I know that there is (was?) a tips thread. Perhaps you should raise the idea over there?

pezhetairoi: the advice I always give is to write the guide, then post it over in the colosseum. This will give it maximum attention when it starts out, getting it to the largest possible audience. Very importantly (to me anyway) it gets the thread started in the writer's own name; only moderators can start topics in this forum. Credit where it is due. Finally, this makes it easier to find the best home for the guide; some guides are better suited to other forums. Moving topics is easy.

Taurus
07-24-2005, 10:35
Vip3r: yes, this forum is SP only. I think that MP tips would best belong in the RTW MP forum category, closer to its target audience, and I know that there is (was?) a tips thread. Perhaps you should raise the idea over there?

Okay thanks frogbeastegg, the reply is much appreciated. ~:cheers:

McDoogle
07-25-2005, 09:25
Thanx for the help, Spies are now useful... ha ha

Cvetin
08-09-2005, 11:11
a little help pls? I played a julii short campaign, won, changed the .txt file to unlock the unplayable factions (not least of them Macedonia) and still get only the unlockable factions unlocked. so i get greece, but no Macedonia. what am I missing?
i play the game unpatched, is this the problem?
thnx

McDoogle
08-16-2005, 05:10
No, you editted it wrong.

You need to go to the 'Macedon' thread and copy it properly, make sure you make a back up file and try again. I had the same problem. Macedon are worth it though , CAVARLY!!

McDoogle
08-30-2005, 04:20
Did you guys know that Rome: total war's expansion is coming out soon. :charge:

Barbarian invasion, situtated just after the fall of the roman empires, with consantine and THE HUNS!!! WOOT!

Good old Attila.

countvlada
08-30-2005, 11:02
To play as the rebels you have to go to the file descr_strat.txt
Open it and copy and paste the name slave into the playable factions colum
Then when you have done that you will need to delete slave from the non playable caragory

then save your file
The rebels were never meant to be played so clicking on the faction scroll will crash the game

Count vlad

(my forum is on rometotalrealism.com then scroll down to the asian project)

frogbeastegg
11-23-2005, 11:33
Not a suggestion, but maybe a comment. Certainly something.

KukriKhan has now retired from the forum. Thanks for you help, Kukri. It was good working with you, as always :bow:

Ichi was here as temporary help, but it's worked so well he is now the perminant second staff member. So bother him if you need anything :gring:

Strike For The South
11-23-2005, 19:40
KukriKhan has now retired from the forum. Thanks for you help, Kukri. It was good working with you, as always :bow:

wait the entire fourm!????!!?!?! Life isnt wroth living~:mecry: wait I thought he just came back

Mouzafphaerre
11-23-2005, 19:54
Gregoshi, Kukri... ~:mecry:

"The good men went away riding the good horses." :charge:

Who's next? :inquisitive: Tosa? ~:eek:

ichi
11-23-2005, 20:32
There's still a few good men, and women, lingering around here. Hopefully I can continue in the best traditions of my predecessors.

*looks around for an opportuity to flex new muscle*

ichi:bow:

Mouzafphaerre
11-23-2005, 21:16
A dramatic touch is often good. ~;)

Congrats and good luck ichi :medievalcheers: and thanks for the cleaning up. ~:)

demolition
11-23-2005, 22:35
anyone got help for multiplayer setup(a thread is is in multiplayer section of rtw) please help

frogbeastegg
11-23-2005, 23:23
Kukri has retired from this forum, i.e. RTW guides and MTW guides. Sorry; I always call an individual forum a forum, and the collective forum the Guild.

Karo
01-05-2006, 12:21
My game won't install
there com's up sound 3 is not found
and dan close automatcly

Ludens
01-05-2006, 16:00
My game won't install
there com's up sound 3 is not found
and dan close automatcly
This is not exactly the right forum for this. For tech problems, please use the apothecary (https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=15). Also, more information about the error message and the configuration of your system would help solving your problems.

kalifah of watton
02-04-2006, 21:49
Could we also have guides for nonplayable factions? Pretty much everyone modded it so we can play as them, so it makes sense to have guides for them to.
Ok i keep getting this message from the org suggesting i use the forum but im not online myself so i have to use the library or my friends computer.Anyway i would like to see guides for the so called unplayble factions.There are some allready which are a great help.ive unlocked all the factions on Rome and some on barbarian and have played everyone on Rome (shorts) except Dacia And Thrace.So here is a totally non serious quick guide to Rtw.

Romans - Julii
Scipii
Brutii
S.P.Q.R all fight like romans
Greek Cities - fight like greeks
Macedon - not really proper greeks but fight like greeks with extra cav
Thrace - fight like greeks with a splash of barbarian
Pontus- fight like persian-greeks
Armenia -see parthia
Parthia -cav based hit and run
Seleucids -fight like greeks with a touch of persian
germania -guess what, you can play them as a greek faction with no shirts !
Britannia - a joke really,crap units and the chariots have silly little mud flaps
Scythia - am currently having a great time deystroying slow moving macedons with horse archers only.
Numidia - like carthage without the spears,very tenacious never say die.
carthage -armies were historically trained by some spartan general so fought in greek style but later copied arms and tactics of roman republic,
Egypt - can fight like greeks !
Gaul - dont bother.
Spain -love these guys ,good to use large formations of scutari out front.
dacia - see gaul.
Disclaimer- i am not greek.
"Believe it if you need it"
peace The Kalifah Of watton:juggle2:

TheZejiEmpire
04-03-2006, 22:46
Lombardi guide..

frogbeastegg
04-04-2006, 08:44
Done.

Azorex
04-28-2006, 07:29
Hello to you. I have a one GOOD question about RTW-BI.

Is it posible to create a "custom battle" in the "single player" that models a Sortie from the besieged castle? Maybe some command line parametrs, or else low-level things? I need to create battle, where the castle masters will be Attackers, but not Defenders.
If I can do it on the global map, why can't i make it in customising?

Precise answer i can't find at the all internet...

Avicenna
04-28-2006, 14:29
Well, just do infinite time. That way you'll have to rout/kill them all to win anyway.

Azorex
04-30-2006, 10:54
there is a poblem, that enemy begins a standart besieger and don't give me to go out from the gates. In 1:1 unit ratio my troops very rapidly become a smple defenders...This is not that i'm looking for - not a sortie as is.

Unforgivable-Fenrir
05-05-2006, 18:05
They should really fix the accuracy on the oganars because there is no way that they should be able to miss an entire army that is marching towards you. A blind person could of shot it straighter than this.

Ludens
05-06-2006, 12:56
They should really fix the accuracy on the oganars because there is no way that they should be able to miss an entire army that is marching towards you. A blind person could of shot it straighter than this.
Are you using flaming ammunition? Those indeed have lousy accuracy, but ordinary ammunition work far better. Anyway, this thread is just for comments and suggestions about the guides forum.

GeneralHankerchief
05-12-2006, 03:19
Will there be any plans to include the factions from Alexander when the time comes?

Avicenna
05-21-2006, 17:41
Probably, yes.

frogbeastegg
08-24-2006, 17:43
Ichi is very busy in real life right now, so Kekvitirae has kindly agreed to help me. A big round of applause for the brave person willing to enter into what begins to look like the cursed position of frog's partner :balloon2:

Ludens
08-25-2006, 18:21
:2thumbsup:

Kekvit Irae
08-25-2006, 18:34
:book:

Augustus Lucifer
09-06-2006, 01:02
My suggestion is that in the first post of each thread it be modified to have a list of all the usernames who've given strategies an a quick 1-sentence or less summary of the nature of the strategy, as well as page # or link for it. This is merely a suggestion, and is very unlikely to happen as I know that this would take forever and thensome as I've administrated forums before and compiling takes forever, especially in a forum as big and with as many replies as TWC. But, I saw the thread so I figured I'd voice my 2 cents just for the heck of it.

-CrW

whtdoesitmatta
09-06-2006, 02:06
Would be very cool if they atleast summed up the big ones, like get one person to sum up each thread using the good posts, and sending it to an admin for moderation :)

frogbeastegg
09-08-2006, 09:49
Updating the first post with a good summary of the tips posted is part of the original idea behind this forum. Alas, I've never had time to do anything.

If there are any volunteers to write such summaries, Kek and I can edit them into place, with full credit to those whose work it is, of course.

Specialist290
09-14-2006, 22:44
I'll take up the offer. I'm something of a n00b when it comes to RTW so I can't promise the summaries to be perfect, but I've always entertained ideas (some might say "delusions" ~;p ) of being a fairly competent writer, and at any rate it'll be a learning experience for me ~:)

DeathEmperor
09-15-2006, 08:05
The Empire of the Frog expands.

However, I know nothing about anyting.
Unless your manuevering your phalanx men keep them in their formation otherwise they'll get cut to shreds :(
Ultimate power is not meant to be shared

Specialist290
09-15-2006, 21:00
Incidentally, once I finish the summaries, should I post them in the appropriate thread, or just PM them?

frogbeastegg
09-16-2006, 11:43
Thanks for volunteering :bow:

Pick any faction you like, put together a summary of what has been said, and then PM it to either myself or Kekvitirae; we'll edit it into the first post of the thread.

Specialist290
09-22-2006, 01:39
Apologies for the slowness of my work; various things (most notably school) have been constricting my schedule a bit. However, I'm still working on the first summary, rest assured, and should hopefully have it finished soon. If only it were still summer...

COOLING
10-03-2006, 13:45
I am having some problems with loading a saved position of my RTW.
Game crashed so I have backuped my saved position to another directory.
After reinstalling RTW I have returned saved position file in the same directory but when I load it nothing happens . I am playing about one month and it would be a disaster if I would have to play it from the beginning . Any suggestion?

Ludens
10-03-2006, 15:15
Hello COOLING, welcome to the Org ~:wave: .

I cannot help you with your problem, but you could try posting about it in the Apothecary (https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=15), as that is our tech-help forum. Also, more information about your computer, the savegame and Rome-install (R:TW? BI? Alexander? Which patch?) would be helpfull.

Specialist290
10-04-2006, 02:54
I apologize again for bseing so slow, but a (hopefully temporary) schedule crisis has forced me to delay my work for a while. (My sister is on the school volleyball team, and we have games most of this week.) Of course, I haven't been working too fast on this in the first place (w/ school and all), so it may be a while before I have my first one up...

COOLING
10-04-2006, 10:17
Thanks , I will try at the Apotechary. My PC configuration is : X2 4200+ , 2 gb ddr , vga 6600gt gainward 250 gb hdd sata2 ...

Death Match
10-04-2006, 13:18
Good question... I am still yet to find out how, but I am sure it is something with modding

Death Match
10-04-2006, 13:19
hang on..... I seem to have found out th

Death Match
10-04-2006, 13:20
sorry,,,, my Opera browser suddenly closed..... So go to Rome-Total War\data\world\imperial_campaign, then edit the desr_strat.txt, and its pretty easy

Death Match
10-04-2006, 13:27
After reinstalling RTW I have returned saved position file in the same directory but when I load it nothing happens . I am playing about one month and it would be a disaster if I would have to play it from the beginning . Any suggestion?

It is probably a corruption with your saved files....

I have experienced the similar problem... But I know how to prevent it now.... make a backUp of your files. Which is pretty easy... Make a folder in your Main Folder and like this

contents in YourFolder\

Briefcase - "Auto BackUp"
Folder - saves
Folder - savesOld
Folder - savesOlder
Shortcut to Rome - Total War\saves

Every now and then. (once per day) run UPDATE in the briefcase, (make connection with the saved files first) and UPDATE the briefcase. Then copy EVERYTHING in "savesOld to savesOlder, saves to savesOld, and briefcase to saves.

I am very sorry to hear your story... I know how it feels.... I have lost a saved game of a magnificent Brutii like this.... (Two months of work)

davidchandlee
02-07-2007, 14:05
I have also lost all my saved games after installing BI. I wrote the makers and they replied that BI contains a fix which is incompatible with the saved games in RTW (my copy was only a few months old, though). The saves can be seen in Windows explorer but not opened in the game. So far I can't understand the suggestions on how to backup the saves. So I guess it's just live for the current game only!

MunsonIII
03-13-2007, 04:06
I don't know if this has already been answered or not. I beat the game but I don't wont to quit and it makes me. How do I continue to take over the world after the Victory screen

Sonicdahedgie
07-07-2007, 01:33
Hey, could someone make a Sieging/Fending off sieges guide? There are things that people could learn from it.

AlJabberwock
07-07-2007, 06:50
I don't know if this has already been answered or not. I beat the game but I don't wont to quit and it makes me. How do I continue to take over the world after the Victory screen

Hunh,
Well there usually is a "continue playing" option.

Ozzman1O1
10-06-2007, 15:56
can you make a thread comletely about the city of Halicarnussus,its the crazeyist city in the game,once you take it,pontus attacks with a full bannerd army,and if your pontus its essential to keep it...very crazy city....and it has a world wonder!!

gaiusmarius8
10-07-2007, 14:51
i got a problem actually, how do access my battle replays... i want to put it up on another forum to show but i cant find them, they are saved in fact. Please tell me how to access them thank you...

Ozzman1O1
10-07-2007, 22:16
i think you clik on load saved battles in the costum battle menu if i am correct

Ozzman1O1
10-07-2007, 22:22
To take over the whole map im sorry to tell you but you will have to beat the game again on the short campain,once it shows the victory screen there it will ask if you want to continue and conquer the WHOLE map,hope that helps,good luck

mrdun
10-08-2007, 16:40

OK, your problem is probably your "patch", if you go to the options tab on your main menu in the top right corner there will be a number (1.0, 1.1, 1.3, 1.5) that is your patch.

I'm not too sure but I think it is patch 1.5 or maybe you can get away with 1.3 to continue the game.

https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=84841

^^
On there will be a post by Omanes giving a detailed explanation on how to patch up.

Hope this helps

Flaxmac
10-26-2007, 07:28
Can we massacure a town or enslave the peopl of it after we own it with out having to let it revolt and then fight the new rebel army?

guineawolf
11-02-2007, 10:28
I think CA should improve it's RTW battle AI after patch 1.5.....:shame:

coz i am attracted by RTW 1.0 battle AI,RTW 1.5's battle AI seems stupid compare to RTW 1.0 battle AI
since i got RTW 1.5,the AI can't give me much resistant,that make me feel bored.....that won't happen in RTW 1.0(in the battlefield of coz)

TosaInu
11-04-2007, 14:03
I think CA should improve it's RTW battle AI after patch 1.5.....:shame:

coz i am attracted by RTW 1.0 battle AI,RTW 1.5's battle AI seems stupid compare to RTW 1.0 battle AI
since i got RTW 1.5,the AI can't give me much resistant,that make me feel bored.....that won't happen in RTW 1.0(in the battlefield of coz)

Is reinstalling 1.0 an option guineawolf?

guineawolf
11-10-2007, 15:55
Is reinstalling 1.0 an option guineawolf?
my 3 army trojans just being crushed,and more than 8000 death(include 1 7 star general),so i think...........:shame: :sweatdrop:

what i want is resistants.....that give me more fun..

Fallen Angel
11-30-2007, 15:00
Can we have a Guide for Rome (the RTR faction)?

guineawolf
12-31-2007, 12:01
i think CA should add a extra map to indus(India),coz i read from history book that Caeser did sent 40000 men to india ,but only 10000 made it back....then can add 1 more faction at least =the India kingdoms:2thumbsup:

Quintus.JC
01-07-2008, 15:37
What is everyone’s favourite cavalry? I prefer Legionary Cavalry because it is very cost-efficient, compared with all the other elite cavalries.

Caius
01-07-2008, 15:42
What is everyone’s favourite cavalry? I prefer Legionary Cavalry because it is very cost-efficient, compared with all the other elite cavalries.
Hello QuintusJulius-Cicero, welcome to the org!

I invite you to ask the same in this subforum:

https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=32

Create a new thread to ask the same thing. There you will get an answer.

Quintus.JC
01-07-2008, 16:57
thanks alot Caius, that was really helpful.:2thumbsup:

Caius
01-14-2008, 21:47
thanks alot Caius, that was really helpful.:2thumbsup:
My pleasure is to serve.

Emperor Mithdrates
02-27-2008, 20:35
In my opinion there should be no Non-playable factions. I really wanted to be the Numidians on RTW but was shocked to find that finally after unlocking all the factions I could, more than half the factions i liked were unplayable.

Emperor Mithdrates
02-27-2008, 20:47
I wish that you could unlock more factions. I was upset when you couldnt unlock people like the Dacians and the Numidians!

The Wandering Scholar
03-04-2008, 23:50
You can :p

do you know about descr_strat?

Quintus.JC
03-05-2008, 21:14
A lot of the non-playable factions are more fun than the un-lockable ones. Macedon and Pontus are ace!

Good Ship Chuckle
03-06-2008, 22:07
Macedon and Pontus are ace!

Lets not forget about awesome Numidia!!!! :2thumbsup: :tongue3:

Quintus.JC
03-07-2008, 20:29
Numidia isn't one of my favourite factions. Their swift cavalry plus light infantry doesn't seem to match the fighting capablility of some other factions.

The Black Sheep
03-23-2008, 17:57
The only really solid infantery unit Numidia has is the Legionarie copie, but even that one is outmatced by most other infantery.

Praetor Rick
03-31-2008, 15:25
A lot of the non-playable factions are more fun than the un-lockable ones. Macedon and Pontus are ace!

Has there ever been an explanation of why some factions are unplayable when playing them causes no campaign issues at all? I mean, I understand not having the Senate or the Rebels unlockable, they break the game - but Pontus? Armenia? Numidia? Sure, some of 'em aren't in great positions at the start of the game, but just label them as advanced, high difficulty factions or something.

Has CA ever explained the logic (or lack thereof) in that decision?

RLucid
04-03-2008, 12:23
Some reasons could be marketing. You launch a game, offer some features. Later follow ups are not set in stone.

It's clear they had limitations of play testing (or failed to respond to findings) so, making more factions playable, would have been expensive, as they'd require to be tested.

I think, marketing reasons made for much of the game decisions.

Roman factions - obviously; split them means more opponent variety

What a coincidence, that the Major Western European markets are represented by a barb faction, even Spain has something.

The appallingly stoopid Strategic AI, weak Battlefield AI, broken Diplomacy system, and ridiculous anti-historical stuff and "funny" units with special powers ought to tell you, that technical and historical reasoning, took 2nd place to having a game which appealed to the market and broadbase of casual interest.

After all in a review, the complexity is overwhelming and the strategy appears deep. It is only with time, that you realise how weak the AI play is and get disappointed by the lack of challenge.

Call me cynical if you like, but when gamers are willing to buy buggy games, and they even get great ratings, it seems a bit moot asking why some factions were made "unplayable" rather than "unlockable".

thief0flives
05-12-2008, 03:51
somone i need help downloading the 1.5 rtw patch can anyone help me or give me a guide:help:

a1s2d3f4g5
11-10-2008, 01:13
hello don't know if this is the correct place to post but..
I'm new to EB and relatively new to RTW so still need advice from the advisor but this doesnt seem to work in EB? eg for reccomended construction.
I have been loading the EB main script.
Is there no advice given in EB??:help:

a1s2d3f4g5
11-10-2008, 04:29
ok so the answer is no.

Darkvicer98
11-10-2008, 17:26
Heres a link to the EB forum, https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=70. Try finding out there.

Wausser
11-10-2008, 17:44
He actually already found out, that's why he posted that the awnser is no

:beam:

a1s2d3f4g5
11-11-2008, 15:09
yeah actually got to this page via the EB forrums somehow so I figured I was still in them at the time...
can't delete post's tho!

Gazaman12
12-09-2009, 09:38
He actually already found out, that's why he posted that the awnser is no

Centurion1
04-27-2010, 21:27
hello bot.

Vincent Butler
05-22-2014, 21:20
Does anybody use slingers much? They work great against armor if you have the luxury of being able to run them behind the enemy. Did this as desperation tactic (with Rhodian Slingers) against Armoured Hoplites, and inflicted a lot of casualties. Rhodian and Balearic slingers have greater range than standard trainable slingers.