PDA

View Full Version : Kill Rate Mod!!! Hurry, Hurry! Step Right Up!!!

Spino
09-28-2004, 20:28
Those busy little bees over at twcenter.net are discovering all kinds of goodness in the text files. Adonys discovered how to change the kill rates without adversely affecting the animations or anything else for that matter. He not only gives a how-to but he offers several different files for varying kill rates...

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=9877

Here's a little bit of info you can find in the export_descr_unit.txt file:

;Details of unit's primary weapon. If the unit has a missile weapon it must be the primary
; stat_pri From left to right
; attack factor
; attack bonus factor if charging
; missile type fired (no if not a missile weapon type)
; range of missile
; amount of missile ammunition per man
; Weapon type = melee, thrown, missile, or siege_missile
; Tech type = simple, other, blade, archery or siege
; Damage type = piercing, blunt, slashing or fire. (I don't think this is used anymore)
; Sound type when weapon hits = none, knife, mace, axe, sword, or spear
; Min delay between attacks (in 1/10th of a second)
; stat_pri_attr
; primary weapon attributes any or all of
; ap = armour piercing. Only counts half of target's armour
; bp = body piercing. Missile can pass through men and hit those behind
; spear = Used for long spears. Gives bonuses fighting cavalry, and penalties against infantry
; long_pike = Use very long pikes. Phalanx capable units only
; short_pike = Use shorter than normal spears. Phalanx capable units only
; prec = Missile weapon is only thrown just before charging into combat
; thrown = The missile type if thrown rather than fired
; launching = attack may throw target men into the air
; area = attack affects an area, not just one man
;
;Details of secondary weapons. If the unit rides on, or has attached animals or vehicles
;then the secondary weapon details refer to their attacks. If the unit has missile weapons
;the secondary weapon will be the one used for melee
;If the unit has a primary melee weapon, it may have a secondary side arm
; stat_sec As per stat_pri (a value of no means no secondary weapon)
; stat_sec_attr As per stat_pri_attr

And here's how usual these stat_pri/stat_sec looks like:
stat_pri 1, 0, no, 0, 0, melee, simple, piercing, knife, 25 ,1
stat_pri 13, 7, no, 0, 0, melee, blade, slashing, axe, 25 ,0.87
stat_sec 11, 8, no, 0, 0, melee, simple, piercing, spear, 25 ,0.73

Therefore, I did some test modifying the "last" stat_pri/stat_sec value (which was supposed to be Min delay between attacks (in 1/10th of a second) from the file's header) from 1 to 10 and from 1 to 0.1 and... and I expected to see the units swinging their weapons slower for the 10 value and faster for the 0.1 value...

Well, it wasn't the case... but still, the result was a good one: the killing ration beeing speeded up for the 10 value and slowed down for the 0.1 one.

After this, I carefully re-readed the file header, and as you can see, it seems to be a little bit outdated: the Min delay between attacks (in 1/10th of a second) is in fact the value before the last one from the stat_pri/stat_sec entries, and it's always 25 (2.5 secs/swing).

And most probably will just modify the pause between the swing animations, not the pause between damage hits (but IF these two are linked, then it CAN also modify the damage output, beeing another way to obtain a slower killing rate). I'll do more tests with it tomorrow.

The last value is undocumented yet, most of them beeing 1, and very rare 0.87 or 0.73 (usually the spears are the ones with 0.87 and 0.73 values). So i guess as this value DO modify the resulted damage/time interval it must be a sort of to hit probability or a damage scale.

Anyway, it WORKS!!!

So, I scaled all of them (to avoid any unbalancing, even if most probably some of them should be scaled differently than others, allowing faster killing rates for some special weapons) down dividing them with 10 (the 0.1 value seems to be a good value, as it leaded to a pretty "realistical" killing ratio, as I saw from my tests).

Here's the modyfied file (just remove the _speed_0.1 part from its name and replace the original one... don't forget to back it up first):

Silver Rusher
09-28-2004, 20:37
Well, I haven't actually got the game, so this is on behalf of the people who have made the thousands of posts that I have read about how p!ssed off they are about this.

THANK YOU!!! THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!

Sid_Quibley
09-28-2004, 21:17
May I also refer you to this thread posted last night.

Link (https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=36823)

Spino
09-28-2004, 21:23
May I also refer you to this thread posted last night.

Link (https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=36823)

My apologies but I would have never known about that thread. I haven't been to the Entrance Hall since I was a new member back in late 2002! Besides, a thread covering this issue does belong here in the Dungeon, it is the Mod forum after all.

Sid_Quibley
09-28-2004, 22:25
Not a problem :bow:

I wnted to post here but couldnt. ~:)

Spino
09-29-2004, 01:53
Not a problem :bow:

I wnted to post here but couldnt. ~:)

By the way, welcome to the Org! ~:wave:

camulos
09-30-2004, 18:03
I know some people were using larger unit sizes as a work around for the fast kill rate.

My question is, what unit size should be used with this mod?

LittleRaven
09-30-2004, 18:22
I've been using large size with the kill rate mod, and I think it works great.

Spino
10-01-2004, 20:10
I've been using large size with the kill rate mod, and I think it works great.

Ditto here.

Obviously with this mod and Huge sized units enabled battles are going to last a really long time.

camulos
10-01-2004, 22:55
Ditto here.

Obviously with this mod and Huge sized units enabled battles are going to last a really long time.

Does using the large unit size double the size of all units, such as dogs and elephants, etc? It's my thinking these would be better off staying at their current size.

Hamburglar
10-11-2004, 16:20
It's been my experience with this mod that it DOES affect unit animations.

They don't swing their weapons any slower but the time between swings is obviously slower. This makes the battles last longer but its because of the guys just standing around for a longer time rather than clashing with each other. Zoomed out it's fine, but zoomed in it just looks a little goofy. The sounds and deaths are also a bit out of sync.