PDA

View Full Version : Some questions.

Ardonyte
11-01-2000, 00:48
Well it seems that my fire-wall is going to be nice to me this time and allow me to post. So I'll take advantage of it.

I know that at some point in time someone has gone over these topics, but please bear with me, as I have never been able to post to the forum.

1- for the life of me I cannot build No-Dachi samurai. Could someone explain what I need, other than a large castle and sword dojo? I'm pretty sure I need to have a legendary swordsman, but would like some confirmation.

2- the instructional maual states that you can build Taisho at you castle. Is it possible to have more than one Taisho? If so how do I create them? I don't think this is possible, but again I would like to have some confirmation.

Thanks in advance for your patience, and any information.

Best regards,
Ardonyte

Didz
11-01-2000, 01:01
Hi Ardonyte

No-Dachi

You cannot begin to train No-Dachi until one of your soldiers acheives enough experience to become a 'Legendary Swordsman'. He then retires from active service and starts training No-Dachi. Exactly what needs to happen to trigger the 'Legendary Swordsman' event is the subject of debate elsewhere on this board.

Taisho

Every army automatically has a Taisho. So when you train a new unit its commander is the Taisho. Right clicking on the Army will tell you the Taisho's name, honor and rank.

When two units or armies are combined the highest ranked/highest honour Taisho takes overall command of the combined army.

In battle the Taisho moves and fights with the unit he commands personally. you can tell which it is by the special standard it carries instead of a flag.

In the campaign the Taisho's unit is identified by a gold star on it's unit card.

Hope this helps.

Come back if you need more explanation

BanzaiZAP
11-01-2000, 01:28
To continue Didz's No-Dachi statement:
Once the Legendary Event happens, you can now build Sword Dojo's to train them. You must have a Large Castle to be able to build the dojo, so you're basic level castles won't be enough. I don't think that there are any other prerequisites. You should not even be able to build the dojo until the event happens. Make sure you're not confusing a Sword Smith with a Sword Dojo. One trains men, the other just makes weapons! Once it's up and running, it's a cheaper alternative to Monks. We can start (another) whole new debate on No-dachi vs Monks if you like. ;>

-- B)

[This message has been edited by BanzaiZAP (edited 10-31-2000).]

lanza27
11-01-2000, 15:24
I'm up for that debate. HEHE

The Black Ship
11-01-2000, 23:53
One vote for Warrior Monks pls http://www.totalwar.org/ubb/biggrin.gif

No Dachis take way more casualties http://www.totalwar.org/ubb/tongue.gif

Rodhern
11-02-2000, 00:01
Sounds like you have some experience in that so please do start the debate. Im listning. :-)

Widda
11-02-2000, 00:13
Perhaps them silly ND should wear some armor, then they wouldn't have so many arrows stickn out of them. WM have budda on there side they don't need any! :lol

Widda.

11-02-2000, 00:30
yah, good luck with the nodachi...

lol
jd

Ardonyte
11-02-2000, 00:35
Well it would seem that WM are the best melee unit in the game. They are moderately armored, take an absolute mauling and don't break, and they do a pretty good job of disrupting the enemy formations. Not to mention, that they do a good job of exterminating the enemy, period. Now for the down-side. They are extremely expensive, relatively slow, and seem to become winded easily. Not to mention the fact that they are arrow magnets, whenever the AI sees them on the terrain. No-Dachi Samauri, seem to offer the same punch but far less expensively. Of course I may be wrong. And I'm sure someone will show me the error of my ways........

Best regards,
Ardonyte

Didz
11-02-2000, 00:44
No-Dachi are a lot less expensive (especially for Shimazu) and easier to acquire. If I have the Koku and the appropriate provinces I would definitely hire Warrior Monks but in the absence of either or both No-Dachi are an admirable alternative. I even use them in MP games when the Koku is limited.

DragonCat
11-02-2000, 03:02
To get the legendary swordsman event you have to have a samurai reach a certain level - 3 honor I think. I'm fuzzy on the details, but one way people were springing the event was to have their daimyo unit do a lot of chases on routing units to up their kills. In any case, the legendary swordsman event is the key to getting no dachi.

Anyone remember the details on this? It was in the old sword dojo . . .

------------------
DragonCat
"On the prowl . . . ."

Nelson
11-02-2000, 03:24
The best taisho may not take over. I beleive that the taisho who is assigned to command an army is the unit commander with the most experience. That is to say the guy with the MOST BATTLE COMMANDS under his belt, regardless of the outcomes. A general with no wins and 2 losses will still command because he has commanded 2 more battles than anyone else in the army who is 0-0. Otherwise we would never see a taisho with a losing record if any of his units had commanders who were 0-0. Know what I mean? We've all seen taishos with negative honor. Losers must be sent off to join more experienced and successful leaders so as not to cause harm.

[This message has been edited by Nelson (edited 11-01-2000).]

solypsist
11-02-2000, 05:14
i dunno about that, nelson.
if you whip out the geisha and assassinate a general, you'll often find that the guy with the highest level is in charge over those who have fought the most. this is especially obvious with new generals who have never actually fought a battle (heirs and such) but nonetheless have a high honor.
this becomes evident after you kill him and you go after the next commander in the same army. and so on and so on all way until the guy with low honor (-1) commands over someone who hasn't fought at all....which just completely contadicts what i started to say, so now i dunno again...

Nelson
11-02-2000, 15:10
solypsist, I think that the game looks at the combined wins and losses of prospective commanders and chooses the guy with the highest sum to become taisho when it needs a tie breaker among men with equal levels. An 0-2 general is a level 0 as is an 0-0 general. That's how these losers stay in charge.

I also think this is why talented new/historical generals are credited with a winning record when they appear. Even though they have not actually been used in a battle in the game, they are given a winning record (32-0 in Uesugi Kenshin's case, level 6) so that they will have high honor AND are likely to take command by virtue of having been credited with many battles. Win count and level are never divorced it would seem.

If anyone can refute my hypothisis I'd be happy to learn the real story.

11-04-2000, 15:00
I think what happens with general is the game looks at rank, then looks at experience. So, because many soldiers are rank 0 the general is the one with the most experience, even though it's a losing record. On the no-dachi vs monk front, I'll take monks any day. I play as Mori and get them cheap, and I've played a few battles with just monks, throwing them right into the enemy and winning.

OUT4BLOOD
11-04-2000, 17:55
both of them r vital 4 having a good army.Send the wm in first and then flank with no-dachi thats how i win my melee's

but well erm i will have 2 go with wm even though with new patch they r less efective
:-(

ShaiHulud
11-04-2000, 23:46
Another way to judge WM vs ND is..which chills the blood more when you see them coming? hehe
With WM's I know they'll fight to nearly the end, with ND, I know that WHATEVER I throw in against them, I won't get much back.
And, if you build ND in a province with iron sand, it becomes a very tough nut to crack, yes? (I suppose this is also true for WM, tho)

------------------
Wind fells blossoms, rain
fells steel,yet bamboo bends and drinks

Rob
11-05-2000, 04:46
IMO No-Dachi are basically WM for experts http://www.totalwar.org/ubb/smile.gif

In a perfect world, you would use Naginata to engage the enemy and ND to flank. However, I am not so great a general as to be able to do that effectively http://www.totalwar.org/ubb/smile.gif so I have to use the more expensive WM which give me much more margin for error http://www.totalwar.org/ubb/smile.gif

I'm going to work on my No-Dachi tactics from now on tho http://www.totalwar.org/ubb/smile.gif