PDA

View Full Version : Where to make building changes?

V'ger
10-02-2004, 10:04
Hello,

Can anyone point me to the right file to make changes to building characteristics? I know there is export_descri_buildings.txt, but all that does is change the text that appears on the details vellum. It doesn't actually CHANGE the building's values. (It also says it shouldn't be modified and comes from another, unspecified file.)

I used the unpack utility on the pak files, but all I could find were tga, dds and some other graphic-type files, no text or xls or database files at all. I'd appreciate any and all help.

What I'm looking to do is to somewhat lessen the penalties for the distance from your capital. Since I've had no success finding THOSE values either, I thought I would mod farms to have some effect on health and happiness, especially since I've seen people put out the theory that farms as they stand now are not really helpful and should only be built to open up the tech-tree.

My thought was to make the mod such that farm 1 and 2 have hap and health +1, farm 3 and 4 have hap and health +2 and farm 5 (and 6? I forget) have hap and health 3.

Anyway, thanks for any advice/information.

:help:
~:grouphug:

itkotw
10-04-2004, 05:24
You have the right idea. Though I did not test the buildings stats much, I was able to create some nice results. I do not think you can "take away" the negative effects of being far from the capital, but you can sure add positives. I edited the executioners square and I was able to add a +125% bonus because of law. In the file I changed the number to "50" and in the building info screen in the game it said "250% law bonus", though the end result was only +125% in the settlement detail screen. One benfit of the increased law bonus was the elimination of corruption in that settlement. I think I am going to add some law bonuses to my Roman buildings next campaign to help with corruption in far-away provinces.

I have also edited the public health bonus on the sewers. It add a public health bonus and a population boom bonus (and my population grow when up to 12.5%). The increased public health did not help the squaler at all. If anything , I think it increased because of the population boom.

Those are all I have tried to edit and I have not played with those edited setting for more than a couple turns, so they will need further testing. But by editing these values you can make a super happy settlement. I tested increases in "law_bonus bonus 1" up to "law_bonus bonus 50", and it still worked, so the sky seems to be the limit. I tihnk editing these values will be good for people who dont want to worry about the happiness of their settlements.

hehe and dont listen the "Do not edit" warning, you can always change it back (but ALWAYS backup the txt files before you mess with them).

khelvan
10-04-2004, 08:07
export_descr_buildings.txt is where you want to make the changes, so you're on the right track.

However, also check export_buildings.txt, it is where you can change descriptions, define faction buildings, and lots of other good stuff. Take a look!

V'ger
10-04-2004, 22:22
Hi,

Thanks very much to both of you. I always back up the original files first thing, so no worries on that score.

Obviously, I went about things the wrong way, in that NEW bonuses (i.e. those that the building didn't have before) don't seem to have an effect, but increasing old bonuses would. If I understand what you're saying. ~:)

What I'm trying to achieve is a lessening of the difficulty in keeping order in your provinces to something that more reflects the histories I've read and what the Romans accomplished.

Now, if only I could find where events are coded ... ~:confused:

I've located several files with event information, but none that have event parameters. :inquisitive:

Now it's off to the laboratory ... MuHAHAHAHAHA!

OK, I was able to make all the changes I wanted to export_buildings_descr.txt and they TOOK! Happy, happy, joy, joy, happy, happy! I just wasn't looking in the right place in the game the first time or hadn't had enough coffee or something. My bad. Thanks, y'all.