PDA

View Full Version : Really surprising battle last night

Colovion
10-02-2004, 20:00
Last night I hosted a 3v3 battle with my new computer. I signed on at about 2.30AM PST and was pleased to see that there were another 5 people ready to play and joined my game in less than 3 minutes. That impressed me. I chose Macedon, my allies were Julii on the left and Selucids on my right. The enemy was arrayed left to right from my vantage as Scythians ---> Greek Cities ---> Carthage

Right at the start I saw the Greeks were setup in defensive Semi-circle position with Onagers which began firing on my phalanx units immediately. I had to close quickly to get out of range of those onagers, which broke up my lines and probably soiled a few soldier's trousers over the next few minutes.

The Scythians had most of their army made up of HA which I knew could be a problem. The Scythians, rather strangely, moved their whole army behind the Greeks small fronted semi-circle as I and the Julii on my left advanced.

Carthage, on my right, sent out some Skirmishers which I quickly dispatched with a unit of Cavalry before allowing the Selucids to engage their left flank. I knew that advancing against just teh Greek Cities straight ahead would leave my flank in the air for Carthage to exploit. I had to keep the center secure. I sent my two best troops on the field (Royal Pikeman) to deal with Carthage's right wing - largely containing Peoni Infanty.

I could go on and on but the main thing I wanted to say was that The game was very long - much longer than I expected. My Royal Pikemen held against Carthage for the entire battle before routing part of their line - which gave teh Selucids time to flank the rest of their line. The Greeks balked once I got my Cav on my right wing around behind their Phalanx troops - the Scythians were annoying until I got my Cretian archers up to take them down.

I wasn't expecting a good MP game until the patch game out - really surprising that the game went on for 20+ minutes; all other MP battles I've played were over about 10 seconds after the font lines met, this one was really well done with both teams using eachother's strengths and covering eachother's weaknesses - besides Carthage sitting there alone on their flank getting pwned.

All in all I can say that with the Unit Speed/Killing speed mod in the SP campaign and with battles like this I'm enjoying the game more and more! Now I can't wait for a patch to come out so that those bugs which taunt me will be fixed soon.

~:cheers:

Tomisama
10-02-2004, 21:10
“It not the size of the hump, but the motion of the camel.”

It’s the good players that make a good game!

Even with all of the limitations of the underdeveloped multiplayer of RTW, lots of fun can be had if you find the right people.

I have had the same experience also, and was glad to see some positive press
:bow:

(and it will only get better)

Colovion
10-03-2004, 00:23
(and it will only get better)

without a doubt ~:)