PDA

View Full Version : We want your replays!

Emperor[1G]
10-03-2004, 03:14
Hello all. I just posted something similar in the Entrance Hall, but as this effects Multi-Player directly I wanted to post it here as well.

We want your battle replays. Good ones, of any and all factions. Solos, 2v2, 3v3, siege it doesnt matter. Why? Simple. Like at Warcraft 3 we have a database set up for users to peruse and find one they like, download and enjoy, maybe learn a thing or two.

The other half is that the best replays we do audio commentaries on. In short, its like NFL Radio play-by-play meets a strategic documentary. Download one and listen, you'll get the idea. Music, intros, stats, etc all go into an audio.

We want them, so send them to Emperor@1greborn.com if you can, we'd appreciate them! If you're interested in what an audio is, you can find the first two done today here:http://www.1greborn.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=10

my thanks to the TW.org crew for (hopefully) allowing this thread to remain.

Rob The Bastard
10-04-2004, 06:17
Better than that!!! ~:)

We'll even sticky it.

~:grouphug:

Essex_Cohort
10-16-2004, 13:53
Hi, I have found that the RTW replays are often incorrect. From saving a few MP saves replays, then watching them, they are very inaccurate, even if i won a MP battle, sometimes it shows the enemy doing better than they actually did, and me worse than i did. It's crazy man.

Anyway, just thought I'd share that ~D

Emperor[1G]
11-08-2004, 05:24
Thx for the sticky, just now realized it was there :) Yes we're aware of the loss in syncranization, we are very meticulous about which replays we choose for recording. As it is we have three now finished and will be posting within the next few days, one at a time. Thanks to everyone for sending in their replays, keep them coming!

Nigel
11-08-2004, 19:01
Perhaps someone could just clarify the incorrect replay issue :

Is it that the replay does not correctly reflect a correctly syncronized game ?

Or is it that if a game goes out of sync, the replay (correctly) reflects only one of the different games the different players see ?

~:confused:

"Black Bob" Craufurd
11-26-2004, 22:11
I just had a wonderful, epic battle online with a buddy of mine. An absolutely awesome battle where I played the Greek Cities and besieged a Julii Roman army in the Rome map. I barely won the battle, and I couldnt wait to watch the replay. I wonder if it was because of the length of the battle, but the replay came out wrong and showed me to have lost it. I really did win though, because we talked about it afterwards. He did log out just before the end, he got tired of sending the onesie twosie units that had rallied at me, so maybe that had something to do with it. For the love of God I really hope they fix the replays. I would have sent it, but I got mad and erased it.

I have also experienced that problem where I fought a battle and thought I won just to find out that my friend said that it showed he won, and the replay showed him to win. Guess Im just reiterating what has already been said before.

Emperor[1G]
11-27-2004, 03:50
Alot of replays sent to us have differenent endings or highlights then the ones in the description and we've had to toss them out. Thats why we are able to post fewer audio/replays then we'd wanted. Finding one that doesnt desync is difficult :(

sapi
11-27-2004, 08:35
I just had a wonderful, epic battle online with a buddy of mine. An absolutely awesome battle where I played the Greek Cities and besieged a Julii Roman army in the Rome map. I barely won the battle, and I couldnt wait to watch the replay. I wonder if it was because of the length of the battle, but the replay came out wrong and showed me to have lost it. I really did win though, because we talked about it afterwards. He did log out just before the end, he got tired of sending the onesie twosie units that had rallied at me, so maybe that had something to do with it. For the love of God I really hope they fix the replays. I would have sent it, but I got mad and erased it.

I had the exact same thing happen to me in starcraft - somehow the replay missed out the epic, 10 minute, 1000 unit struggle in the centre of the map and cut to me winning. Weird.

Invictus Thrax
01-02-2005, 00:06
Theres a really easy way to record movies without out of sync movement, sound etc. Record movies using Fraps 1.9D. www.fraps.com. DO NOT download the latest version ad it limits to 10 second movies, download 1.9D, its excellent. Hope it helps.

infernalbob
02-03-2005, 23:34
Invictus Thrax, you're saying that if i donwnload Fraps 2.5.1 it will only record for 10 seconds. and so for that reson i should download the older virsion 1.9D because it will caputer more than 10 seconds? and if i do download 1.9D will it not mess up my computer( i got xp) and the movie will still look good. hope you can help me please when ever i get a respond i'll download this fraps thing cause i'm really interested in this, also is there any other free download i can use that may be better than this.

Emperor[1G]
02-03-2005, 23:37
I use FRAPS to record my game play videos, two of which I did for Rome: Total War which can be found in our sites gameplay videos forum, but you have to buy the license for it. Well worth the price btw.

Going to start doing live broadcasts for Rome Total War starting next week

Puzz3D
02-04-2005, 13:12
The RTW custom battle and multiplayer replays work correctly now in v1.2.

Nigel
02-04-2005, 18:56
That is comforting to know. :rtwyes:

Any news on SP campaign battle replays, or reason why that feature is not included ?

CBR
02-04-2005, 19:01
There are no replays for SP nor do we know the reason why.

CBR

Nigel
02-07-2005, 21:47
I just saw this in another thread:

As I understand the replays in RTW are like tracks in some flight sims, they contain initial conditions and player's input (orders). Now, the battle maps in campaign are generated before every battle, unlike predefined custom battle maps, so a campaign battle replay would have to include the generated map, and that would increase an average replay file size essentially.

Correct me if I am wrong.

Could that explain why SP campaign battles cannot be recorded ?

CBR
02-07-2005, 22:07
I think it has to be something to do with the maps yes. All terrain data comes from the big campaign map so it working differently compared to the custom maps (one file for each map)

CA must have run out of time to make a system for replays to work with the campaign map. I believe the advisor is even speaking about saving replays so I guess it was planned for at some point.

CBR

AquaLurker
03-14-2005, 18:33
To the Emperor,

I want to send replays to you but I can't, simply because I cannot seems to register to your forum, no activation mail was sent to me. So is there any other way I can send you my replays???

Anyway, I like your commentries they are quite funny but it would be better not to insult the players.

Rodion Romanovich
03-15-2005, 20:24
I could contribute with some nice replays, but I'd not like to dishonor the ones I defeated, so is there any way of replacing their names so their multiplayer aliases won't be visible in the reply I submit? If so I can send in some nice stuff.

AquaLurker
03-16-2005, 07:49
Same sentiment here, my oponents may be defeated in my replays but that dosen't mean they suck or anything of that sort, we lose sometimes, we win sometimes, we are all the same. Plus we don't use onagers(except for siege) in these games which made it so much more fun and realistic.

Rodion Romanovich
03-19-2005, 10:11
']Thx for the sticky, just now realized it was there :) Yes we're aware of the loss in syncranization, we are very meticulous about which replays we choose for recording. As it is we have three now finished and will be posting within the next few days, one at a time. Thanks to everyone for sending in their replays, keep them coming!

I've noticed many of the replays you can download are still in "R:TW replay file" format, which makes me wonder how you're supposed to hear the audio commentary at the same time when watching the replay. Isn't it possible to convert replays to movies and add the sound to them? If so, the synch problem which gives different battle results would be gone and it'd be easier to watch the replays than watching them in R:TW IMO. Another good thing about converting to a movie format is that you could choose camera angles and thus remove the problem of making it possible for the watcher to see the name of the poor defeated guy. :help: Is there any easy way of converting the files and any easy program to do some VERY simple "cutting" (for example if I want a different camera angle and am using a screen capture program, I might want to pause the game then move camera, and cut out the part when I paused)? Anyway as I said I have some really enjoyable replays - some expert vs expert battles where both sides used brilliant tactics and the battle was quite close :duel: (many sweet seleucids vs macedon and vice versa), as well as quite interesting total slaughter battles when I'm playing a parthia "spam army" (1200 romans deployed, 700 parthians deployed, 1190 romans killed, 100 parthians killed ~D).

Wishazu
03-19-2005, 11:18
its easy, you load up rome, then alt-tab to desktop, start up the audio in meida player or whatever, go back into rome and load up the replay. fast forward the deployment part of the replay or to a specific time on the counter which emperor will let you know, then just pause it untill he says "go" in the audio. sit back and enjoy :)

Lord Preston
03-19-2005, 13:25

dont worry about your opponents, if they see it they will know what they did wrong and should learn.

if they're offended they need to grow up.

i find the best replays are the close ones, not OWNED games. a good ambush or something.

Rodion Romanovich
03-19-2005, 15:35
Ok I posted some videos. Interesting to see if they'll be commented...

tibilicus
04-06-2005, 12:59
How do you post replays? I have this amazing one wich i unfortunatly lost the battle but ohwell.Any way theres i think 4 of us and its every man for themselves. theres truley a great bit were we all cross in the middle and men fly every were. Now thats what total wars ment to be about ;)

Lord Preston
04-06-2005, 14:33
sounds good.

instead of posting it email emperor it, the best ones should be reserved for commentry

as far as i know there has been no commentry on a free for all so it should be interesting

to answer your question you go to the 1greborn.com forums and registered. then either create a topic in Rome Replays or reply. there will be a "manage attachments" button. you can then upload the replay file from the replay folder in your rome directory

Taurus
07-14-2005, 15:34
@ Emperor[1G]. ~:cheers:
I just downloaded and watched all of your audio commentry replays and they are amazing. I have truly learned a lot from what you say in each battle. How and where to deploy your men, which units go with which, etc.

Thanks and keep them coming please. :medievalcheers:

Wishazu
07-14-2005, 19:19
i doubt there will be anymore, 1G have abandoned Rome and gone to World of Warcraft

Taurus
07-14-2005, 19:30
I am very sorry to hear this.