PDA

View Full Version : A reason why multiple players cannot select the same faction

Duke John
10-03-2004, 13:27
I've opened up some skin textures for the units and I noticed that the faction colour is painted directly on it. In M:TW this was done differently; faction colours would replace 2 dummy colours so multiple players could select a single faction without confusion. With R:TW this is impossible so if CA allowed multiple players to choose 1 faction than the battlefield would be very confusing.

I think that is the reason why CA made the decision. And the problem is that it doesn't seem to fixable. Modders could add 3 extra versions of textures for EACH faction but that is alot of work and is probably not the solution for the MP community.
A simple solution might be to only make different colours for banners, but then it will still be difficult to differentiate between your units and allied ones.

It's too bad that it turned out this way, but I hope that some can now better understand why CA did it, and not because they want to irritate the MP community.

Cheers,
Duke John

[SHAMELESS PLUG]In my Wars of the Roses mod I will add loads of dukes to fix that problem :smug: [/SHAMELESS PLUG]

Orda Khan
10-03-2004, 16:17
Thanks for the explanation Duke John. I still find it hard to believe the oversight though. Historical battles online was a feature I really was looking forward to but unless there were more than two nations on the field this feature will prove to be worthless. It will be confined to 1v1. I would be happy enough with all my units looking identical to yours, if you have red banners and I have yellow I see no problem, in fact I think it would look better than MTW. The faction colour is repeated on the saddle blankets of cavalry units, making it easier to identify them. I realise there are only so many colours we can use before they become too similar and therefore a 4v4 with everyone wanting to use one faction would be extremely difficult. For faction versus faction battles I honestly think banner colours would be perfectly acceptable and at least then we could have a nice realistic battle.

It may sound petty but I was never really impressed with eight different factions on the map I always preferred some realism. At least using this system we would have an acceptable compromise.

......Orda

Edit: to clarify my point.......Carthage v Rome......Carthage....white, black, purple, orange

Rome.........red, blue, green, yellow

Duke John
10-03-2004, 16:39
If you only want flags, then we might be able to make a mod. This could be very interesting for the MP community, especially the Clans. So there might be alot of downloads. Couple that with more balanced stats and the MP side might be alot more enjoyable.

Orda Khan
10-03-2004, 20:59
After the initial outcry comes the answer ~:cheers:
Speaking for myself, my army being identical to my allies is of no consequence and if anything would be better. I am sure that it was the standards that were used as identifiers as opposed to ' all my men wearing purple ~:) '
No doubt some will say there would be confusion but yep, I suppose confusion often was the case in war. I would be extremely happy to be able to field same factions under different banners. I agree with you about the MP side and Clans, we might even see a new type of Clan battle emerge

......Orda

Tomisama
10-04-2004, 13:01
Even if there is no immediate fix for the lack-o-faction thing. I have worked out possible contest scenario for the Clan Wars Competition’s Legions Of Autumn Tourney. It’s kind of a mini campaign.

The rough draft (untested) looks like this:

There will be two three vs. three Battles per Clan, per Round.

Each Clan takes a turn as the three Roman House factions, against the three Resident Area factions, and then the reverse.

First Round will be on the Greek Shore versus the Greeks, Macedonians, and Thracians.

Second Round will be in the Gallic Countryside versus the Gauls, Spanish, and Britons.

Third Round will be on the Syrian Flats versus the Selecids, Pontus, and Armenians.

Fourth Round will be on the Sahara Desert versus the Carthaginians, Numidians, and Egyptians.

Fifth Round will be in the Germanic Forest versus the Germans, Dacians, and Scythians.

There is no Tie Battle playoff. If Both Clans win one Battle, they both advance to the next Round to meet other contestants.

Yes, there is the possibility for more than one Clan to emerge as the winner of this Contest.

(if they give you only lemons, make lemon aid ~:) )

Sound like fun to anyone?