PDA

View Full Version : Putting unmounted units on horseback

Inuyasha12
10-04-2004, 03:14
ok this is from total war center, this guy put arcanis on horseback..

Ok back.. i'll write up a short little tutorial. This tutorial will show you how to put a unit on horseback that is normally a footsoldier. I'm going to show how to put arcani on horseback. In this example my faction is roman julii. Just change any faction names to your preferred faction.

Files to mod are:
/data/export_descr_unit.txt
/data/descr_model_battle.txt

To put an arcanii on horseback, first edit export_desc_unit.txt and create a new unit (I assume you can do that). Here is an example of arcani on horseback.

type roman arcanii cavalry
dictionary roman_arcanii_cavalry ; Mysterious riders
category cavalry
class heavy
voice_type Heavy_1
soldier roman_arcanii_cavalry, 17, 0, 1
mount heavy horse
ownership romans julii

The soldier it uses is user created. So save export_desc_unit.txt for now and open up "descr_model_battle.txt"

Ok basically an arcanii on a horse is the same thing as any heavy cavalry. If you find arcanii you will notice the skeleton it uses is fs_fast_sword. That works fine for the ground but for cavalry you have to use different skeletons.

Copy the entire arcanii entry and paste it at the bottom of the file. Edit it so it looks like this or just copy this.

type roman_arcanii_cavalry
skeleton fs_hc_spearman, fs_hc_swordsman
indiv_range 40
texture romans_julii, data/models_unit/textures/unit_roman_arcanii_julii.tga
model_flexi data/models_unit/unit_roman_arcanii_high.cas, 15
model_flexi data/models_unit/unit_roman_arcanii_med.cas, 30
model_flexi data/models_unit/unit_roman_arcanii_low.cas, 40
model_flexi data/models_unit/unit_roman_arcanii_lowest.cas, max
model_sprite romans_julii, 60.0, data/sprites/romans_julii_roman_arcani_sprite.spr
model_tri 400, 0.5f, 0.5f, 0.5f

So now we have arcanii cavalry. Most if not all heavy cavalry uses fs_hc_spearman, fs_hc_swordsman skeletons. Different skeleton same arcanii texture. Same applies for horse archers. If you want roman horse archers then copy the roman archer auxilia and change the skeleton to one that the other factions horse archers use.

Heres an example of roman auxilia archer on horseback

type elite_roman_cavalry_archers
skeleton fs_hc_archer, fs_hc_swordsman
indiv_range 40
texture romans_julii, data/models_unit/textures/unit_roman_auxillia_archer_julii.tga
model_flexi data/models_unit/unit_roman_auxillia_archer_high.cas, 15
model_flexi data/models_unit/unit_roman_auxillia_archer_med.cas, 30
model_flexi data/models_unit/unit_roman_auxillia_archer_low.cas, 40
model_flexi data/models_unit/unit_roman_auxillia_archer_lowest.cas, max
model_sprite romans_julii, 60.0, data/sprites/romans_julii_roman_archer_auxillia_sprite.spr
model_tri 400, 0.5f, 0.5f, 0.5f

The problem is that i tried mounting roman auxiliary archers on horseback, but when i play they are standing up. The horses are there, but they are not sitting on the horses but standing up(through the horses torso). Anybody know what im doing wrong??