PDA

View Full Version : I want full multiplayer !!!

[PL].Quake
10-05-2004, 03:52
aaaaa !!! 3rd game and they still didnt do it - the full campaigning in multiplayer mode ! :(

Does Any1 know whyyyyy ??? The current MP just sux, battles are pointless without the main strategic game :(

TW are the best strategic games in terms of game rules (remember Amiga-Commodore game called North&South ? :D) the RTW is even better than games before (well, the controls totally suck ass, but the strategy map rules are very good) but why do we have to play only with the AI ??? :(

Imagine playin with 3 friends over the LAN, each one playing separate nation/faction - that would be beautiful *sigh*

CAN ANY1 TELL ME WHY IS THERE NO SUCH MODE IN TW GAMES ?????

Colovion
10-05-2004, 04:09
Ever played an online Turn Based game?

TonkaToys
10-05-2004, 08:51
I'm working on it, but it is hard to fit it in with real life always knocking on the door...
Check out my sig for progress.

Pitt_Slayer
10-05-2004, 11:17
(remember Amiga-Commodore game called North&South ?

now that's old ~:eek:

fun game ~D

Dionysus9
10-05-2004, 17:14
I'll tell you why-- because it would take 100 years to finish a full campaign and it would be boring as HELL to have to stand around while the other players fought battles if you weren't involved in that fight.

Lets say you just play 1v1 campaign with no computer players-- ok that is workable. But as soon as you include computer players or another human players you will have stretches of time where other players will be fighting eachother on the battle-map and you will be standing around waiting for 30 minutes to an 1.5 hours for their battle to finish so you can take your 10 minute strategy turn.

Ever try to play Civilization online? That is bad enough and there is no battles.

We've been whining for this for four years and they never listen--we've come up with a few ideas to get around the above mentioned problem. Two work-arounds:

1) all battles to be auto-resolved EXCEPT those battles where your faction leader is commanding, and then you also allow all players to spectate. This would be interesting enough to keep the other players around.

2) Or, make the strategy map real-time also--and make the battles occur at the same time as strategy map moves. So that if you want to command your troops in battle (dont want to autoresolve) then you have to foregoe making moves on the strategy map until you have won the battle. Meanwhile the other non-battling players can make strategic moves. . .

Those are the two most workable solutions the community has come up with to move toward a viable MP campaign--but CA has never expressed any interest in moving that direction so we all gave up trying years ago.

[PL].Quake
10-05-2004, 23:31
"I'll tell you why-- because it would take 100 years to finish a full campaign and it would be boring as HELL to have to stand around while the other players fought battles if you weren't involved in that fight."

*** This game is SUPPOSED to take ages. i takes ages in single player dont it ? You just have fun expanding your nation with some more sneaky enemies out there. you can save the game and load it up cant you ? its no problem, many games are capable of that. You just need to talk with your friends over some chatter system (ICQ, MSN, ... ) and play next few rounds when you want. Realistially you wouldnt play in more than 1-3 VERY WELL KNOWN friends. ***

"Lets say you just play 1v1 campaign with no computer players-- ok that is workable. But as soon as you include computer players or another human players you will have stretches of time where other players will be fighting eachother on the battle-map and you will be standing around waiting for 30 minutes to an 1.5 hours for their battle to finish so you can take your 10 minute strategy" turn.

*** Moves on the strategy map can be made simultaneusly. Especially with the new RTW moving rules. There can be a user selectable time limit to press a "done round" button. but realistically you will play this with your 2 friends in LAN so that is not an issue.
*** After moves round, battles are calculated. Independent battles can be fought at same time, outcome passed to the server afterwards. Option to spectate ongoing other battles should be included.
*** => key element - need to make the strategy map rules suitable for simultaneous movement which isnt hard I could imagine making them up in a day.

Ever try to play Civilization online? That is bad enough and there is no battles.

*** yawn. Online is not the good idea here. This mode is definatlely for LAN/Internet DIRECT connections to play with very wellknown friends.

" ... "

*** my above ideas reffer to rest of your post well enough :)

greetings :)

d6veteran
10-05-2004, 23:36
I have played online turn based games and they've been a great time. There are other ways to implement the online campaign game so please don't shoot it down like CA has.

[PL].Quake, glad to hear you're taking a whack at this. Have you ever thought about starting with a simple implemenation like so:

In single player campaign mode, all battles to be fought online. Basically when the battle scroll comes up and lets you select either withdrawal, auto resolve or fight ... have a fourth option - play online. This would then host that battle online for a player(s) to take the seat of the enemy armies.

The multiplayer allows you to host historical battles (i.e., preset units), so I assume you could mod to host custom battles. And if you could host custom battles, then possibly you launch an online custom battle from the campaign game.

IMO this would be a first big step. It would eliminate the tactical AI and blend online play into the sp game.

I would gladly assist in anyway I can with that project. I'm a java developer with some C++ knowledge.

ElmarkOFear
10-06-2004, 00:04
I have played several different turnbased games online and found them great fun. Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri, all the Combat Mission games, and Panzer General 2 (which was my very first online game). They do take a lot of time, but given like-minded players a campaign could be fun. Unfortunately, this market is not big enough to base a game feature on. If it can't be directly related to a sales increase, which would offset the time to program the feature, then it will not be done.

That is probably the case here with TW. MP isn't important and never has been, so something as lengthy as programming an MP campaign will never happen. They can't even take the time to program a good lobby for RTW.

[PL].Quake
10-08-2004, 10:21
heh yea, regarding the lobby - Id say all 2D elements in the newest TW totally suck. The minimap, unit cards, option buttons, colors - it all looks like shit. The 3D battle view is perfect tho - mistery how they screwed up those controls, it was way better in shogun...

Regarding programming - they could at least make a software development kit to enable fans to make the mod themselves. Im sure we would have a couple great full-campaign mods in no time.