PDA

View Full Version : Petition to PC magazines

baz
10-05-2004, 17:25
I think that if we do not see planned improvment via a patch fix, for most of the issues relating to R:TW MP along with a timescale, we should send a petition to all the major gaming magazines to explain our frustrations and disapointment at the standard of R:TW MP upon release.

I know this sounds a bit harsh, but I think it is only fair that these magazines should know that this is not the wonder game that they believe it to be and more importantly that this is not a MP game.

I am sure we can make a nice worded document between us all which we would all be willing to put our names to? The only way to get anything done here is to prove that customer support is vital in maintaining the precious value for the shareholders, and to do this we must hit them in the pocket by publishing our thoughts to the gaming world.

I have not looked at a lot of the problems regarding MP first hand, but this is mainly because i have only managed to log on once in two days! (tried multiple times and have emailed CA and Activision with no reply regarding the CTD problem)

Does anybody think this would benefit our situation? I know it would make me feel better knowing that if somebody was going to buy this game, like i have on the basis of playing MP, they will at least get a warning of the trouble ahead in their gaming magazine?

It would be guaranteed printing material!

Baz

If i get support i am willing take the next step.

FearZeus
10-05-2004, 18:10
You have my full backing baz!

Here is my ever growing list of bugs or problems etc...

http://p223.ezboard.com/fshoguntotalwarfrm11.showMessage?topicID=305.topic

Give me a shout if you need any help, i'm more than willing to help m8 ;)

baz
10-06-2004, 00:24
Does anybody else think this would be a good idea?

Please let me know what your thoughts are ..

Skomatth
10-06-2004, 00:39
I'd like to see this happen. I think the best idea is to keep it concise and use terminology non-TW player would understand.

Colovion
10-06-2004, 01:06
You got my backing - if the supposed patch doesn't fix most/all of these horrible problems.

Puzz3D
10-06-2004, 01:09
Magazines didn't review multiplayer because it was held back, but I don't foresee them going back and writing new reviews. Also, two major MP problems will undoubtedly be fixed: the 30 player limit and the diverging battles. I don't know about the memory leak, because that might be more difficult to fix. So, it will come down to alll the other stuff some of which will probably be fixed up.

RTKLamorak
10-06-2004, 01:39
you have my total support, and my willingness to put my name to it 100%

RTW MP is a farce, nothing less.

Dionysus9
10-06-2004, 06:37
I think this would be a good idea, and we don't have to limit the letter to just PC magazines. We could address it to CA, Activision, PC magazines, marketing directors, presidents, etc. etc.

I would be happy to contribute to a draft of such a letter. Since I work in the law I write letters of this type all the time (constructive complaint letters, sometimes with teeth other times with warm fuzzies). I think it could be done in such a way that the reader would not just throw it away-- if we start with a hook to get their attention and then build our position from there.

Anyway--it is not quite time for such a letter. We must give CA a chance to fix things first. How long do we wait? I dont know. But I'm mad enough to spend a few hours drafting up a persuasive letter that gets our point across. The folks over at the .net are up in arms and would sign onto just about anything that made sense :) lol.

How about we start working on this project on Monday October 25th if nothing has been done or no suitable announcements have been made by then? That will be one month after the U.S. release, which is plenty of time for CTD problems to have been fixed.

Louis de la Ferte Ste Colombe
10-06-2004, 08:42
Bachus,

A couple of thing you might want to consider; first, the game is not out yet in Southern Europe; France, Italy, Spain.... So it might make more sense to target media there.

Second, PC magazine might not be the easiest target (it's probably too late), unless you think online game magazine. I am waiting for a few French online reviews, and if they dare to give a score above poor to the MP side, I'll probably post a reply (online reviews allow for reply from members...). And I am not waiting.

Also, but probably more marginal, some clans are multigames. FF is one of them. Fellow members, who have not been playing MTW ask MTW players what our thoughts are about RTW... See my point?

I would not participate in a "community" letter. I don't believe there is a MP community, we had ample proof of that in the past ~D . But I'll post on my own, in forum or online game review I know, and give my honest opinion.

Good luck to you Bach,

Louis,

Colovion
10-06-2004, 09:10
Holy Witch-hunt, Batman!

Sp00n
10-06-2004, 10:36
I already wrote a letter a few days back to PC Gamer Uk about the state of the multiplayer, I duoubt anything will come of petitions or letters but you can only try.

Sp00n

Pitt_Slayer
10-06-2004, 13:06
I remember last year that : mtw MP was voted in the top 10 MP game's ever
in PC gamer.......... :bow:

think it came 3rd behind halflife and something else......

FearZeus
10-06-2004, 13:33
I posted this to activision to alert them of the problems

Hi,

Thankyou to yourselves and CA for 5 years of fantastic gaming of which I have thoroughly enjoyed and met in excess of 400 people of those 5 years.

However we (all multiplayers of Rome total war) have encountered serious flaws/bugs in the new Rome total war series which have promptly stopped multiplayers from playing this game, here is the list of problems that all Rome total war players are encountering, some however are things we hate and others are bugs.

1. sort out the join multiplayer drop to desktop issues
2. Copy chat for warhammer 40,000 or go back to MTW that was fine
3. the camera control in a nightmare but i hear you can chage that back to MTW style (yet to try so i will leave this here as a fix)
4. when at max height, can't make the units out and the game looks really bad from max height too (it's ugly)
5. the chat has gona backwards (just one key for allies and all)
6. multiplayer needs 4 v 4 or even 5 v 5 so why go backwards again to 3 v 3 plus it laggs, get this right first
7. flaming arrows seems to add fire to the lagg problem (pun intended)
8. overall the game just looks tacky and unfinished the units look small the yellow arrows you get from a height just look bad etc
9. How on earth did you make the game look so bad when MTW game play etc was spot on you seem to have changed all the best bits and made them worse???
10. can you please keep us frustrated souls updated on what your plans are, or do we all have to take our games back and demand refunds to get the message across?
11. make available denarri flexible
12. make all factions available to all players in the game
13. allow multiple units upgrading in unit selection screen
14. add relog files, how the hell could we ever held tourneys?
15. solve replay issue not showing real battle
16. Syncronicity -- Ensure game state is not diverging during the game
17. Replays-- ensure they are syncronized with game (currently they are NOT--we can't run tourneys without replays).
18. Unit/Army control is flawed--No way to move army and retain facing (in MTW this was alt-left click), no way to have groups within groups (as in MTW). Formation/orientation is destroyed when dragging a line of units: Say you have AAAABBBB units in a group. When you set them like this AABBBBAA and draw a line the result is AAAABBBB again. Units turn back to their original state and your setting/formation is ignored.
19. Grouped units often refuse to take orders (most commonly the run order). Some report un-grouped units are responding to orders directed at a group.
20. When in testudo, if a single unit walks into the formation, you lose control of that unit of the legionaries in testudo formation for the rest of the game.
21. allow Withdrawal/Rout in MP ("W"ithdraw doesn't work in MP!)
22. game info available from lobby
23. allow faction to be selected by more than one player
24. proprietary player names (so some jerk can’t steal your name and ruin your reputation) [linked to CD Key like MTW]).
25. allow “quick chat” (t/y) like in MTW, chat should not fade/scroll so quickly
26. Fatigue bars on units/exhausted units should not be able to run (but they can)
27. allow for custom denari amounts
28. #ignore/#ban commands for gamespy lobby
29. fade-out names for “in game” players in gamespy lobby
30. allow selection of faction color
31. show who is deployed and who isn’t deployed on the battle map.
32. Bring back F1 to view unit stats and players/factions/teams list (and grey out names of dropped/routed players like in MTW)
33. Unit tax for more than 4 units of same type
34. We need 2 keys to toggle run– if you have a group in which half the units are already running, pressing “R” makes them walk. So “R” becomes useless in groups where some units are walking and others are running. We need a “Run” button and a “Walk” button please.
35. Trying to order an engaged non-cav unit to fall back should result in a major morale penalty when they turn their backs. This doesn’t seem to be occuring.
36. Once routed, “restricted camera” mode should not apply to you. Please fix.
38. Look into reports of server lag.
39. Look into reports of host-drop crashing all players computers.
40. Brighter highlighting for selected units (some say it is difficult to tell selected units from non-selected units)
41. Being able to use general’s rally ability without having to select his unit.
41. Kill rate/game speed
43. Balance (cav/elephant) [more testing needed]

I speak for all Rome total war players and here is a few internet forums that may open your eyes to the problem we are all facing, I will report back to the forums as soon as I receive your reply.

http://p223.ezboard.com/fshoguntotalwarfrm11.showMessage?topicID=305.topic

https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=31

http://www.totalwars.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4244

Thankyou
John Robinson also known as FearZeus in the total war community.

P.S A patch is surely needed to prevent many vets and long time players leaving the total war series in search of a new game! I eagerly await your reply!

Puzz3D
10-06-2004, 16:03
A patch is surely needed to prevent many vets and long time players leaving the total war series in search of a new game!

Why would they care if vets leave the game? It's only a handful of players compared to all who will play RTW. CA is working on a patch, and GilJaysmith has reported that the 30 player limit has been fixed. The next thing that needs to be addressed is the battles diverging. That problem should be #2 on your list not #16. The memory leak should be #3, and that's not in the list at all.

baz
10-06-2004, 18:08
Well i think it is fair to say here that Zeus has jumped th gun a little.

BEFORE ANYBODY WRITES ANYTHING ON THE COMMUNITIES BEHALF WE NEED TO DISCUSS THE SITUATION!

I'd like to see this happen. I think the best idea is to keep it concise and use terminology non-TW player would understand.

Sko I agree. It needs to be understandable for all peolple from all places.

Magazines didn't review multiplayer because it was held back, but I don't foresee them going back and writing new reviews. Also, two major MP problems will undoubtedly be fixed: the 30 player limit and the diverging battles. I don't know about the memory leak, because that might be more difficult to fix. So, it will come down to alll the other stuff some of which will probably be fixed up.

Yuuki, it was not my intention for them to go back and review, simply to make the gaming world aware, even if it is just in the letters section it is still exposure.

I would be happy to contribute to a draft of such a letter. Since I work in the law I write letters of this type all the time (constructive complaint letters, sometimes with teeth other times with warm fuzzies). I think it could be done in such a way that the reader would not just throw it away-- if we start with a hook to get their attention and then build our position from there.

Fantastic Bachus, i was hoping you of all people would help ;)

Anyway--it is not quite time for such a letter. We must give CA a chance to fix things first. How long do we wait? I dont know. But I'm mad enough to spend a few hours drafting up a persuasive letter that gets our point across. The folks over at the .net are up in arms and would sign onto just about anything that made sense :) lol.

I totally agree, we need to have a period for them to respond first. 25th is fine with me. One month i think is ample time for a response to these flaws from CA et al.

I would not participate in a "community" letter. I don't believe there is a MP community, we had ample proof of that in the past . But I'll post on my own, in forum or online game review I know, and give my honest opinion.

Louis, I understand your point and it is not a community opinion that i am looking for as you are correct in saying we would never reach an agreement on this AS a community. I just want it to be a statement that certain individuals all agree with. It should not have any assumptions in it only the support of individuals with their corrsponding names to back it up.

I already wrote a letter a few days back to PC Gamer Uk about the state of the multiplayer, I duoubt anything will come of petitions or letters but you can only try.

together maybe we can make a difference sp00n. Just think if we include generic problems that everyone is encountering then i think we could get 200+ signatures fixing some of the more important bugs will hold more strength.

In summary i feel that we need to compile a list and include three catergories
Required, Priority and Preference. Cases like memory leaks, CTD (30 players) and sync probs would all be required since they seriously effect the ability to be able to play the game at all. Cases such as Multiple faction selection, logfile generation and fixed denarri should be classed as priority as they hamper the ability to be able to play the game. And lasty cases such as showing deployment should be preference as they make game a better experience.

Can i ask if you think this suggestion is still a good idea?

If it is we need
1. Three catergory titles and a description of each.
2. A list of catergories and the bugs within each.

At first we need to make the list sparse and simply, a list like zeus's (as good as it is) would not be suitable for this task. We need simple generic facts that will not be contested. For example we WILL include CTD (30 players) but we should NOT include unit balance as this is subject to opinion.

Still a good idea? Let me know your thoughts please.

Baz

Puzz3D
10-06-2004, 18:47
Apparently, release of a patch that addresses several serious multiplayer issues, 30 player limit, stability, performance, desyncing and toned down elephants is imminent.

Rome Total Patch (http://pc.ign.com/articles/554/554519p1.html?fromint=1)

The heads up was posted by The Blind King of Bohemia in the Colosseum forum.