PDA

View Full Version : Changing the Rate of Fire/Reload Time??

DungeonMaster125
10-06-2004, 05:50
Hey, I'm trying to mess around with the firing speeds of archers and other missile units, but I'm having a HECK of a time finding any stat that allows you to increase the rate of fire (ie decrease reload and aim time). Here is my thread from TWcenter.net:

ROF/Reload Modding Thread (http://www.twcenter.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=10590&st=0&)

As you can see, I haven't gotten much tangible help, even though the effort is greatly appreciated. I was wondering if one of the crazy guys from CA could post on this?

Thanks in advance

DimeBagHo
10-31-2005, 14:14
Did you ever find out anything useful about this?

City walls
10-31-2005, 14:22
In caligula unit editor there is a box where you can edit the "swing speed" i think its how fast a unit strikes. Same goes with archers a guess.

DimeBagHo
10-31-2005, 15:09
It doesn't seem to have any effect. There are stats for minimum delay between attacks, and there is a line called stat_fire_delay (which sounds like just the thing) but neither seem to make any difference.

Bwian
10-31-2005, 19:40
Put simply....forget it!

The archers will NEVER fire more than once per 'turn' no matter how you tweak the stats or animations.

There is a stat in the Export_descr)unit file which allows you to set a longer delay between firing, but reducing that to zero does not affect the miminum. It was also mooted that the length of the animation would speed it up...nope. I created an archer set with a single frame for each of the firing animations, and all I got was lots of flickering movement, and no extra arrows launched.

The conclusion I reached was that the actual act of firing arrows happens at fixed intervals. Artificial delays can be introduced, but you cannot speed it up.

Feel free to experiment....but thats what I looked at, and I could find no way to increase the rate of fire.

DimeBagHo
10-31-2005, 20:08
Thanks for the info Bwian. I was about to embark on a long and apparently futile study of animation editing ~:).

I have made a Gastraphetes (ancient Greek crossbow) unit and I wanted to give it a slow rate of fire. I guess the best approximation of what I want will be to reduce the lethality and give them more ammunition, so it will just take them longer to rack up the kills.

Bwian
11-01-2005, 00:11
You can slow down the firing by adding in a delay, the figure in the stats puts in a pause ... which is what you want.

I tried to make a 'machine gun' effect by really ramping up the archer speed, and it just didn't work. The animation played multiple times before an arrow salvo launched.

DimeBagHo
11-01-2005, 00:32
I tried using stat_fire_delay but it really didn't seem to make a difference. I'll give it another try and see how it goes. I assumed the units were 1/10ths of a second, maybe I just need to use a bigger number.

*Edit* I tried values up to 500 and saw no difference at all.

Legionaire
12-14-2006, 16:05
Anybody has successfully changed this? Searched the forum but can't seem to find an answer on changing the rate of fire.

nikolai1962
12-15-2006, 06:48
The minimum delay stat (25 in the example below)

stat_pri 7, 26, arrow, 130, 5, missile, archery, piercing, none, 25 , 1

effects how long it takes to switch between primary and secondary weapon. so it can effect things like horse archers/katas charging, legionary pilum/sword switching etc.

I've never tried to speed up archery so no help on original question i'm afraid.