PDA

View Full Version : Routing speeds

Scorpion
10-06-2004, 13:32
Lo and behold, I have another worry....

After testing it out several times, I´ve come to the conclusion that units rout at a truly pathetic speed. What I mean by this is that when a unit decides to run, for some reason being chased and cut down isn´t a good enough motivation for them to outrun their pursuers almost all of the time!

Even heavy Principes have no problems catching up a much lighter enemy unit.
For some reason, the routers visibly slow down, allowing the pursuers to catch up...this leads to massacres for the AI.

One would think that as a rule of thumb, if you´re running for your life you would run faster than someone running to catch you, if they were otherwise generally as fast.

Anyone else see this as a problem? I know that massive casualties were caused in history during routs - but this is because there were units dedicated to this task (light cavalry). I do not think heavily armoured and shielded shock troops should outrun skirmishers on the rout.

Duke John
10-06-2004, 13:53
We haven't seen any file where we can mod individual speeds, so I fear that it's impossible.

But you are right, soldiers would throw away their shields, helmets and discard armour so that they could run faster. I remember that the Swiss rarely used cavalry so they faced the same Burgundian army multiple times.