PDA

View Full Version : ADVICE: Post patch questions..

Shahed
10-08-2004, 08:32
Hey guys/girls ...

Can you please answer these questions as I have not bought the game yet (yes, yes I know I'm missing out on great SP).

I'd most appreciate if you could answer these as I'll buy it when I can play it mostly bug free:

-Is it playable post patch ?
-How long does it take to start (log in) AND complete (start of battle till end of battle)a game ?
-How many crashes (sync, CTD etc) do you have in an hour ?

Sp00n
10-08-2004, 12:29
Hi Sinan,

Ive never had any problems logging onto Rome but many have some fo the logon problems seem to have been sorted out by the emergency patch, but a few still seem to be unable to get online.

Games last longer unless you quit as there is no rout button you tend to spend about 5-10minutes running about after the remaining units and archers who run at light speed even when exhausted.

I havnt had any major sync problems and ive played over 40 games you do get them in 3v3 games though which to be honest are virtually unplayable, so at the moment if you hated 1v1 and 2v2 games on MTW or Shogun you really shouldnt bother buying Rome for multiplayer as this is all you will get to play in its current state and I have cable broadband 1024ram/9800 pro card and 2.6 p4.

Having said that its still addictive to play it online but it can be very frustrating because of all the missing features from past games and the bugs.

Hope this helps

MizuSp00n
Clan Takiyama

spacecadet
10-08-2004, 13:54
Spoon

did you try playing 3v3's on normal unit size settings? I played a couple last night and found them to be reasonably smooth and lag free even with the graphics settings on max (XP2000, 512mb, 5900xt, 512k bb). One 3v3 game on large settings did lag badly though.

Not had any login problems or sync problems so far.

ps how are you moving your groups around? I've tried just selecting a group and right clicking but the group arrives facing in a different direction; tried holding shift button while right clicking, ctrl and right click; alt right click. Seems like the only way to move is to select the group then hold shift then drag out the whole formation with the right mouse button held, but this doesnt seem to guarantee holding the formation - sometimes dragging out in a single line - and even this messes up when it all gets hectic.
Am i missing something here?

Sp00n
10-08-2004, 14:09
Hi Space :P

I havnt tryed any 3v3 since the patch so they may have improved, you arnt missing anything with the movement it sucks you cant move any grouped units around like you used to apart from the right click dragging but that means you can only move each group separately.

MizuSp00n

Shahed
10-08-2004, 15:14
Bump... thanks gents.

Come on everyone who's tried it, post up people, please.

Lechev
10-08-2004, 17:02
For those who still having problems logging onto hosted games, I suspected it is due to the firewall which comes with windows user package 2. Before i have problems logging onto hosted games, but now i can almost log onto any hosted games after i manually disable the firewall. However, for your own PC safety, i'll recommend that you enable it back once you logg off from the MP game.

I had a couple of MP games and so far every things look fine. Except an occasion of ctd experience. The emergency patch seems to fixed some of the major server issues and thus, the status of MP play is currently playable.

On the team comm side, you need to get accustomed to the new features but overall its fine to me becos sometime when there are unfavourable players on your side as ally you can pass info to the others and ommiting that particular player. Juz my 2 cents. :charge:

Puzz3D
10-08-2004, 18:29
I played 4 team battles with v1.1. I was never kicked off of GameSpy over the 4 hours I was there, so that seems better than the MTW foyer. I logged into the RTW foyer quite a few times during that 4 hours, and always got in right away. I was able to join and host battles. I was able to private message people. There can be a lot of confusion choosing sides since you have to select a roman numeral number and also click on a shield. The computer doesn't automatically put 3 players on each team in a 3v3. There are 6 teams choices available instead of 2, and no control of people jumping around to different teams while others are selecting their armies. There is only one money setting for all teams. Each team should have it's own money setting or else the money should be per player. Per player would eliminate handicapping, but you can't do now anyway.

I played a 3v3 large units, 3v3 normal units, 2v2 large units and a 3 player free for all with huge units. All the battles lagged badly except for the 3v3 with normal units. Normal units are very small in size. I don't think I had any desync problems in these battles, but the one replay I watched didn't playback correctly. I'm not sure how Creative Assembly expects players to know a battle went out of sync if it happens. In MTW, out of sync players are dropped from the battle. There isn't much point of playing it out battles that are out of sync.

I had some trouble with moving my whole army where I wanted it to go without unwanted rotation, but single unit control is good. You can move single units in any direction and maintain facing. You can rotate single or multiple units, but, if moving, the unit(s) stops and rotates immediately. There seems to be a memory of previous formation on multiple unit rotates. Grouped units seem to respond to move commands differently. It might be a bug.