PDA

View Full Version : The Scipii PBM - Discussion & Suggestions

Tricky Lady
10-10-2004, 19:08
Hi all,

I decided to kick off the Scipii PBM thread.

As far as I know only myself and YAKOBU have signed up for this PBM thread yet. Anyone else interested? Please post here.

I will start the Scipii game tomorrow. As I haven't played any other faction than the Julii yet, this will be a totally new experience for me. ~;p
I'll launch the game on Hard campaign/Normal battle modes. YAKOBU, is this okay for you too? Other people who'd like to subscribe to this PBM game, please feel free to post your opinions here too. But don't hesitate too long as I'll launch my campaign tomorrow.

Resume:
Hard campaign mode
Normal battle mode
Large unit sizes
Manage all settlements
I won't install any kill speed or other mods, unless enough people prefer so.
Long campaign (obviously)
Every player will play 10 years (or 20 turns in-game)
Anything else ... ?

List of players so far:
Tricky Lady
YAKOBU
Big King Sanctaphrax
Chimpyang
Tamur

:smiley:

Big King Sanctaphrax
10-10-2004, 19:12
I'd be interested. Tell me, is it still one player-one reign, or are we doing 20 year periods, or something similar?

Tricky Lady
10-10-2004, 19:15
Good question.

As Simon Appleton posted in the RTW & PBMs thread:

10 years seems a reasonable length. 20 turns is more than enough to accomplish something of note. The lack of a natural break would make story writing a little harder, but it may be fun in a "one word story" kind of way.

I guess this is a good idea. I'll add it to my list of "rules".

Big King Sanctaphrax
10-10-2004, 19:17
Good question.

As Simon Appleton posted in the RTW & PBMs thread:

I guess this is a good idea. I'll add it to my list of "rules".
That's cool.

My E-mail is proggerthanthou@gmail.com, I'd be obliged if you could add me to the list.

Tricky Lady
10-10-2004, 19:21
Done. :cool:

Big King Sanctaphrax
10-10-2004, 19:27
Thank you kindly.

Chimpyang
10-10-2004, 20:09
I am willing to play..put me in wherever..

Tricky Lady
10-11-2004, 00:26
I've played the first ten years of the campaign already; couldn't resist.
The Senate missions were not too difficult, in fact they pointed me always exactly to my next target. First mission: conquer Syracuse, next mission: conquer Lilybaeum, next one: blockade Carthage, and finally conquer Thapsus. The faction leader died in 262BC but I continued the game. Brought in some money by threatening the Greeks (who were gratefull to pay a few thousands for 4 turns) and by selling map info to other factions.

So it's your turn YAKOBU.

You can download the savegame HERE (http://www.totalwar.org/patrons/pbm/House_of_Scipii_PBEM_260BC.zip)

I'll post a story and a few pictures tomorrow.

~:wave:

YAKOBU
10-11-2004, 00:27
Hi Tricky Lady and the rest of our Scipii PBEM team ~:wave:

I'm more than happy with your setup Tricky Lady. I've been playing on Normal size units but Large would seem to be more realistic. I just had a look at Huge but that seems to much for me just now :embarassed: .

I eagerly await my 20 turns :charge:

YAKOBU
10-11-2004, 00:37
Aha Tricky Lady

You posted the link while I was writing my reply. Thanks for the PM, 30 seconds too late. Tut tut, you still playing at 1.20am on a Monday morning.

:dizzy2:

Tricky Lady
10-12-2004, 15:47
I don't know if you've played the campaign yet, but here are a few notes:

* there's a diplomat in Germania, near Trier
* there's a diplomat in Tracia, north of Tylis
* next Senate mission is to blockade Carthage (yawn!)

In the last years nothing much happened, so the write-up is a bit...short too. I hope more will happen during your reign, which will make up for some juicy stories...

YAKOBU
10-12-2004, 15:57
Hi Tricky Lady ~:wave:

I haven't got round to playing any turns yet. Am busy tonight but will try and fit in a good session Wednesday. Will aim to finish my turns and have write-up done be the end of the weekend.

:charge:

YAKOBU
10-13-2004, 15:52
Hi Tricky Lady ~:wave:

Are we playing the PBEM patched or unpatched? I'm not sure if it would cause problems if people got mixed up but better to be safe than sorry.

Tricky Lady
10-13-2004, 16:18
Well I played an unpatched savegame, but I don't think it'll cause problems for people who already patched their RTW install as I've seen people from CA post that their RTW patches will ensure backwards compatibility.
So it doesn't matter in fact.

Tamur
10-14-2004, 02:23
hi hi, I'd be interested in taking on the Scipii campaign whenever it comes available. Looking forward to reading more!

Tricky Lady
10-14-2004, 18:18
Welcome aboard! I've added you to the list. Keep an eye on this thread to check the 'status' of the PBM. I'll try to remember to send you a PM when the savegame is ready for downloading.

YAKOBU
10-14-2004, 22:44
Hi everyone ~:wave:

I've finished my 10 years so I think you are up BKS.

I haven't achieved much, just taken Carthage and a siege of Lepcis Magna is about to end. Accidently left my spy back in Carthage when I went to siege Lepcis Magna :oops:

There are 3 diplomats which you should find around the map.

I will do my write-up tomorrow night.

http://www.totalwar.org/patrons/pbm/Scipii_PBM.zip

afrit
10-15-2004, 03:31
Quote from Tricky Lady's writeup:

.... When the battle is finished, Flavius Cassius Veteranus, the 95-year old veteran mascotte of Gaius' bodyguard gallops to the General and shouts: "The Greeks are fleeing the field. THE DAY IS OOOUUUURRRSSSS!"

That was great! ~:joker: ~:joker:

Keep it going

Big King Sanctaphrax
10-15-2004, 16:24
Hi everyone ~:wave:

I've finished my 10 years so I think you are up BKS.

I haven't achieved much, just taken Carthage and a siege of Lepcis Magna is about to end. Accidently left my spy back in Carthage when I went to siege Lepcis Magna :oops:

There are 3 diplomats which you should find around the map.

I will do my write-up tomorrow night.

http://www.totalwar.org/patrons/pbm/Scipii_PBM.zip
Cheers, I'll get right on it-although I have a couple of essays I need to do over the weekend, so I might not be able to start for a few days.

Tricky Lady
10-15-2004, 17:46
There's no need to rush... Take your time... (but don't take too much time :wink:)

Tricky Lady
10-20-2004, 09:40
Wake-up call.

:smiley:

Any news BKS?

Big King Sanctaphrax
10-20-2004, 16:29
I should have it done by tomorrow...

EDIT: I'm done, write up to come-but here's a brief summary.

We are at war with Greece. I haven't been too expansionist-I've just taken Corinth, Sparta, Crete, Rhodes and Hallicarnassus. That last one was is currently besieged by the greeks. Marian reforms ocurred in 242 BC. Treasuary is fairly healthy.

Scipii_PBEM240 (http://www.totalwar.org/patrons/pbm/Scipii_PBM240.zip)

Chimpyang
10-24-2004, 11:10
Ok got the game will play it and finish it for wednesday/thursday.

YAKOBU
11-02-2004, 10:37
How's the reign going Chimpyang :charge:

Chimpyang
11-02-2004, 18:12
Oh yeha ishould probably upload it...wait a sec..i'll have i in a jiffy

Chimpyang
11-02-2004, 18:21
Ok here it is :

http://www.totalwar.org/patrons/pbm/SCIPIIPBEM230.rar

Tricky Lady
11-02-2004, 19:41
Great!

BKS, do you have your write-up ready yet? ~;)

Jambo
11-03-2004, 14:00
you should think about geting some pictures of the campaign territory map up on the boards to show your progress...

I always thought it might make the stories more interesting if the PBEM game was played by faction leader, thereby giving each of the players a certain degree of uniqueness - ?

Tricky Lady
11-08-2004, 18:16
Ummmm? Is no one posting a write-up?

Does anyone want to continue this campaign (see Chimpyang's post for download details)?

Or shall I put a cross over this Scipii campaign?

Any reactions?

:blank:

Tamur
11-08-2004, 18:23
I'd very much prefer to have the writeups posted before continuing onward. Otherwise I don't know what's happened, what current fronts there are, who's a good ally and who's a shaky one, family members to focus on, etc etc.

Tricky Lady
11-08-2004, 18:47
Hi Tamur,
That was exactly what I was thinking of. Not much point playing a PBM when you have no idea what your predecessor did, who were the sworn enemies etc etc.
I don't even know which territories were conquered? Greece, yes.
But of course I could download the savegame and have a look ~;p

Chimpyang
11-08-2004, 19:07
Well i darne't post in the story thread as BKS hasn't posted yet..so i'll do my best to do what i can in the meantime.

240 BC Teritus Leica is dispatched to relieve the siege of Halicarnassus, sent along with him are 2 of the early legions that were raised in Greece. Alonmg the way he picked up mercenaries from Greece, 2 units of Merc Hoplites. Dispatched from a seperate boat was a small force consiting of a battle blooded unit of Roman Equites and some experinced Rhodian Slingers. Also, mercenary peletasts were sent from Rhodes. This small army landed to the east of the besiege city within the year and prepared to beat back the Greek invaders.

Elsewhere in the empire forces and builinds were built up to new standards that had arisen, within years, many of the cities would be able to produce the "new model" legionnaires.

239 BC The buildup of the Scipii forces contiues throughout the empire, thankfully the treasury was large and building and training was able to continue without hinderance.

Teritus Leica had aslo had enough, after weeks of tauting and threatening the Greeks they had achieved nothing, so he gathered his troops and prepared for an attack on the sieging army, he also sent a message via carrier bird to the forces inside the besiged city. Telling them where they were expecting to fight and when they should arrive.

Feeling confident, Teritus marched his men towards the enemy camp, the Greeks, seeing this gathered to defend. Upon seeing the enemy, Tirius despiared, the numbers were far larger than his marching army, if the reinforcement did not come, then his relatively small force was doomed. However, like a true roman, he deployed his forces skilfully. He ordered his slingers to deploy well ahead of the rest of the force, to act as scouts and top harass the enemy troops. After dispatching his orders, he personally rode into camp and organised the deployment of his 2 units of early Legionaires into the center of his line, flanked by the 2 units of mercenary hoplites. He deployed his Equites on the left flank and he himself took up the right flank. The peletasts were ordered to guard the flanks of the army and were dispatched to both flanks.

Teritus saw the advancing Greek army, all of it were hardy Hoplites, there seemed not a weak spot in his enemy's lines and it rumbled slowly towards him, offering a prayer to the roman gods he shouted to his army "These Greeks think us weak, and march towards us, but we shall show them the trueness and braveness of Roman hearts today!". Still the Greeks marched on, their footsteps creating a dull beat upon the grassy land. Far fro, the main army the impetuous slingers moved further forwards, eager for battle now they saw that the enemy had no light infasntry or cavalry. As the Greeks came within range they let loose thier first volley.

Captain Oppius was having a light nap when the carrier bird arrived, the longs days of siege had become boring, and he longed for word from a relieivng army. When he read the note from Teritius his heart lept, now he would once again see a true battle between Roman and Greeks, none of this fancy "Starving people out" business. however, on the day of the battle he had overslept and woke up with a start. His troops were already gathered in the courtyeard below, impatient for battle. Grabbing his gladius he mounted his horse and quickly ordered his men to depart, easily knocking aside the small force of siegers that the Greeks had left.

Teritus stared at the sun, surleyCaptain oppius would be here by now. Nonetheless, his slingers were faring well. Showering the main part of the Greek line with a lethal dose of rocks. Slowly, Greek hoplite companies slowed and the line wobbled slightly, but still the Greeks marched onwards. Their phalanxes aimed at the small number of Slingers. However, whenever the hoplites drew near the nimble slingers withdrew and eventually drew the Greek line inot the roman position, however, the Greek army was in dissarray, one unit of slingers had managed to draw away 2 units of hoplites and were playing hit and run with them on the roman's left flank, the other unit had drawn 1 unit of hoplites straight into the center of the roman defence where they were duly routed under immense pressure from all sides. Seeing the numerous Greeks close in on his position Teritus glanced once more at the horizon and he saw the faint blue banner of the Scipii fluttering in the not so far distance, the reinforcements had arrived! However, they would still be some time away and Teritus had the problem of over 1000 Greeks to deal with.

The Roman line finally clashed with the Gerrk line, the fighting was brutal but the peletasts managed to draw away vital units from where they weremo st needed. The Greek's lack of discipline was beginning to show. in the middle the fight had turned at right angles and the back of 2 of the units of Early legionaires were dangerously exposed as the mercenary hoplites were engaged with enemy units. Seeing the dange the Equites rode bravely into battle. Tieing up a vital unit of hoplites which was about to strike at the rear of one of the units of Legionnaires. However, this charge proved to be uselessa s the organised phlanxe dealt almost all the horsemen a death blow and routed the unit from the field.

Captain Oppius saw the Greek line close in from afar, he ordered the running of all troops onto the battlefielda nd digging the spurs into his horse, lead his small unit of Equites onto the field, the units of Hastasii followed closely. They charged into the Greek hoplites that were chasing the unit of slingers and routed them off the field. Oppius sent the peasent towards the rear of the battle, hoping to make a differnece with these few troops he had.

However, they were not needed, even though they were attacked in the front and rear the Legionaires held their shap and fought feroicusly, the Greeks on either flank were crumbling and soon men started routing from the field in desperate flight. Tetrtus held back his from and ordered them to swing round and attack into the center, where the Greeks still had the unit of Legionnaires surrounded. However, they had not sustained many casualties and were beating back the pikes. The enemy, seeing that the battle was a good as lost, fled soon after the flanking Roman units hoined battle, the peasents were perfectly placed to cut down these fleeing men and did so with an anger after being sieged by them almost to starvation. The day was won and the large greek force was overcome.

Elsewhere in the empire things were moving along, builinds were being improved as every Scipii city moved towards training troops of a high qualitly.

238 Tertius recieved the order to attack and besiege the Greek town of Sardis which had sent the troops to besiege Halicarnassus. This he did. As Teritus moved to besiege the city anotehr force was being gathered from the Greek peninsula, a force comprised mainly of the old units that had stuck on after the reform. Mercenraies were hired and soon the amry was a formidable one, with heavy infantry in the form of the Princepes and the Mercenary pikemen. Backup was given in the form of the newly formed Caalry Auxilia and the heavy peletasts.

237 This force quickly moved from Greece and besieged the last Greek town, Pergamum. In summer of that year the siege began. By winter the preperations were ready, the skillful roman engineers had identified the weakest spots in the Greek walls and had dug preliminary tunnles to prepare for sapping. In winter the attack on the city was ordered.

The force was divided by the general Gaius Victor, into 3 distinct sections, there was the mercery corps who were positioned to the right side of the gate, whilst the roman troops were kept to the left. As the digging began, Gaius sent up his siege towers to take the walls. Suffering only few casualties the siege towers rumbled to the wall. In retaliation, the Greek general quickly sent up a unit of hoplites to guard the space just behind the wall. Daring not to come down inot the massed spears of the Greek troops, the Princepes wateche from the top of the wall and waited.

Meanwhile the sapping was going wel, soon both teams had reached the walls and it was the romans who managed to topple their section just before the Greeks. Seeing that there were no defenders on the right side apart from the Greek General's bodyguard in the square, Gaius ordered his mercenary hoplites to run into the city. Taking only a few casualties they rumbled towards the town square, intent on killing the Greek general.

To tie down the Greek hoplites on the left, Gaius sacrificed his men in a meat grinder and sent all of the roman infnatry reserves into battle, slowly but surely, the Greeks fell, from pilum and by galdius. The mercenray hopites had reached the swuare quicker than they had expected, and were surprised by a charge from the Grek General, however, some of the tail units managd to line up into phalanx formation and the ensuing meat grinder and the roman superiority in numbers meant that the roman took the square and the city without too much bloodshed.

To set an example, Gaius ordered the death of all the citiznes of pergamum, to give an example to the other enemies of the scipii.

Nothing much expect builing and training was done in the years following that battle. The city of Sardis finally fell after a lengthy siege in 235 BC.
Building around the empire continued until 230 BC when the future direction of the Scipii was decided when a large Roman force lead by Teritus himself lead an attack into Pontus.

And that should give you a sense of direction now.......

Tamur
11-08-2004, 21:38
Thanks Chimpy! Nice to see this one moving forward again. Not sure what to do about BKS's part... shall we simply move onward?

Tricky Lady
11-10-2004, 19:58
I guess we can move on, yes.

Tamur, I'd be very happy if you could continue the Scipiones' conquests in the Mediterranean. :smiley:

Tamur
11-10-2004, 20:49
Will do. It's downloaded and ready to go.

I know it will vary from person to person, but what sort of a timeframe is usually followed on these things (play time, and writeup time)?

Tricky Lady
11-10-2004, 21:07
Timeframe doesn't matter. I for one would already be happy if you finish your reign and post a write-up and pictures. :wink:

Tamur
11-10-2004, 22:02
Timeframe doesn't matter. I for one would already be happy if you finish your reign and post a write-up and pictures. :wink:

Ha! Well, there's a distinct possibility I'll disappoint given that condition ~:) I'll work on it As Quickly As Possible TM

Tamur
11-18-2004, 00:07
Back from a disasterous week-or-so healthwise. I'm still working on the play part, will plan to finish it up this weekend and writeup Monday/Tuesday.

Tricky Lady
11-18-2004, 00:08
Great news & welcome back! :wink:

YAKOBU
11-30-2004, 15:07
Hi fellow PBEM'ers ~:wave:

Any news on this PBEM at the moment or are we waiting for the next patch?

Seems a shame to leave it unfinished seeing as it was our first PBEM on RTW.

:charge:

Tricky Lady
12-07-2004, 20:04
OK, I think it is time to bury this PBM campaign. :cry:

How far did we get? Carthage on its knees and a few Greek provinces conquered? Puh...

I guess we should forget about this one
:off to disable thread subscription:

orcorama
04-05-2005, 23:40
its probably too late but im interested in playing
my e-mail is orcorama@yahoo.com

Craterus
04-06-2005, 13:58
I think it might be too late for this campaign but there is a Germania one going on but I think that's about to finish too. I'm waiting till the next one. ~D

Chimpyang
04-06-2005, 20:21
The file is still around if you want it...........i'm not sure which year it got to but look for it it;ll be there. It'll also be for 1.1 as well.

The Stranger
04-08-2005, 15:20
can i join

Tricky Lady
04-08-2005, 18:07
Great!
Is this rusty old PBM back from a long long holiday?

orcorama, you can pick up chimpyang's savegame here (clicky clicky) (http://www.totalwar.org/patrons/pbm/SCIPIIPBEM230.rar).

Emperor Umeu 1, I guess you're up when orcorama finishes his turn.

My suggestion is to slighty modify the rules of this PBM and apply the ones Quietus posted in the Germania PBM:

10 provinces conquered maximum within a reign.
If the faction leader dies before taking in at least 7 provinces, the player must continue (but the 10 limit still apply).
If the faction leader dies and has taken in at least 7 provinces, the player will turnover the game to the next player.

I'm not imposing anything. Feel free to do whatever you like with this game. ~:)
Just post a (long/short) write-up/story/log in the story thread (https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=37717 ) when you're ready.

Cheers,
TL