PDA

View Full Version : The House of Julii... Campaign Thread

The_Emperor
10-10-2004, 20:29
Hi guys, I just thought I'd start off the Julii PBEM.

Settings are as follows...
Hard Campaign/Normal battles
Large Unit sizes (normal seems a bit too small)
Long Imperial Campaign

Post Patch game...

List is as follows.

The Emperor
Simon_Appleton
Amon_Zeth
Chimpyang

EDIT: Oh and by the way I disabled the battle timer to make the Epic siege of Cities more realistic. We can't have our troops withdrawing because their agreed time is up! (it will work both ways you know)

econ21
10-11-2004, 00:41
Sounds good, Emperor! I know I was down to be second in this PBM, but unfortunately my RTW-capable computer has broken down and I'm not sure when I'll get a replacement. Hopefully, I'll have one before this campaign is concluded.

PS: You might want to consider the length of each player's turn - Afrit reckoned a whole reign was too long and proposed 10 or 20 years, which sounds reasonable.

Amon_Zeth
10-11-2004, 02:04
I still think it should be medium size units, less lag/more room for special effects.

The_Emperor
10-11-2004, 08:43
Ok sure thing Simon, a 10 year reign it is then!

As for large unit size, it actually isn't that bad, infantry units are at around 80 men, and cavalry at 54... Which seems quite reasonable (and is historical) in my view.

Sethik
10-11-2004, 17:42
I've never really done a PBM campaign before but I would love to try. How do I sign up (do you even sign?)

Amon_Zeth
10-11-2004, 21:27
Alright, if you say large is good, then it's ok.

Oh, and if you want to sign up, just say you'd like to get in. You'll be added to the end of the list of turns.

The_Emperor
10-13-2004, 16:23
Ok guys I shall make a start on the first 10 years when I get back from work tonight... My mission as Flavius Julius shall be to drive the Gauls and Rebels out of Northern Italy, and possibly to pursue them over the alps into Transalpine Gaul.

The_Emperor
10-13-2004, 22:50
ok heres an update, after a long time campaigning (with a handful of screenshots) am now at the end of my Decade.

The Gauls have been driven out of Northern italy and we have pursued them as far as the city of Narbo Martius. We are now at war with Carthage following the capture of Caralis in Sardinia... I was able to bleed some extra cash from the senate before going on their little errand (I demanded around 1500 Denarii in exchage for us to go to war with Carthage) and then getting paid again for capturing it. ~D

The Gauls seem to be very broken as Flavius Julius has hunted them down on numerous occasions as he spearheaded across the alps even before Northern Italy was secure... I am sure you'll be able to see what the family have done by searching for the crossed sword icons that mark great battles.

Now i will leave you with a quote from Flavius The Infantryman before a batte with a slightly smaller Gaul army...

"It is rude to kill someone without proper introductions... They are the Foe, Now Get to it!"

Download PBEM File Here (http://www.totalwar.org/patrons/pbm/)
The year is 260BC and the time has come for someone else to conquer for Roman Glory...

Sadly I don't have any screenshots as the TGA's don't seem to have come out right using the default Print Screen key (they are all black). But I shall try and get some for the purpose of atmosphere using a different program.

Over to you Simon

Alrowan
10-15-2004, 04:51
to get screenshots, u need to re-bind the key, i had the black TGA's when using the print screen, but as soon as i used another key they worked

econ21
10-15-2004, 09:07
Well done, Emperor! Sadly, RTW killed my computer ~:eek: so I can't take up the reigns right now.

I suggest that Amon_Zeth takes the savegame - hopefully I will have a replacement computer by the time he is finished.

Amon_Zeth
10-16-2004, 01:45
Alright, sure. :)

Amon_Zeth
10-17-2004, 16:17
Download the second decade here (http://www.totalwar.org/patrons/pbm)

Campaign is going well, Gauls only have one province, a third of Spain is taken, we have a budget surplus and three big armies. I'll post my write-up (short) after the first one is put up. :)

Chimpyang
10-17-2004, 16:57
RIght then...looks like it's my go now.

Amon_Zeth
10-17-2004, 17:39
Good luck, have fun. :) Oh, and don't forget to blockade Palma, that's the new senate mission.

Chimpyang
10-18-2004, 17:17
I've got halfway through my reign and although I've retaken Alesia i've lost Carthago Nova to rebellion and the city of Corduba is under siege by Spaniards (I made them mistake of Alto Calcing when i had a mssive army and it was most killed off, so ih ad to relive it with troops in carthago nova which is why the city rebelled.)

We're now at war with the Britons as well!

MonwarH
10-18-2004, 19:40
Hi,

I would really like to play!

Send me a mail at monwar1982 AT HOTMAIL.COM

Amon_Zeth
10-18-2004, 23:07
Sure, you can play after Chimpyang (or after Simon if he gets back before Chimpy is done)

Chimpyang
10-19-2004, 16:52
Well ,i'm gonna have to re-start m y turn after the savegame got corrupted. I'll persevere and try to redo some of the things i've done.

Amon_Zeth
10-20-2004, 02:17
Make sure not to auto-calc this time. ;)

Chimpyang
10-24-2004, 11:04
Well that's my 10 turns finished, I've lost 1 major battle and that was against Briton where I inflicted a phyrric victory on the gauls but losding the faction leader and some of the best troops in the Army, I've taken all of Spain and the next move will be a tricky one.

the save game can be found here

http://www.totalwar.org/patrons/pbm/Julii-PBEM-240bc.rar

Amon_Zeth
10-24-2004, 16:40
Unless Simon's back, I guess it's MonwarH's turn, or, if he's not here, The_Emperor could do the next reign.

econ21
10-25-2004, 13:19
I'm still out of action, unfortunately. The ETA for my computer is this Friday; I'll be happy to pick up a savegame at that time.

The_Emperor
10-25-2004, 13:56
Ok no problem, I'll PM MonwarH and see if he is interested in taking up the sword against the Barbarians.

Chimpyang
10-25-2004, 16:46
BTW our treasury is very very poor, i suggest disbanding some of the merc i hired to support my Spanish Campaign.

econ21
10-25-2004, 16:52
Are mercs expensive compared to native troops? I know in MTW, they were double the support cost. But in RTW, it seems opposite - they have an inflated purchase cost but "fair" support costs. If they are low quality, I guess they should be disbanded. But I find the "special" mercs (Balaeric slingers, Basternae falxmen, Samartian cavs etc) to be real bargains.

King Yngvar
10-31-2004, 03:39
Still room for more people? ~:)

Chimpyang
10-31-2004, 11:03
Most definately yes

econ21
10-31-2004, 13:23
If MonwarH has not responded to the Emperor's PM, I'd like to resume my place by picking up the latest savegame. KingYngvar would be next in line.

King Yngvar
10-31-2004, 21:36
Thank you, yngvarv@hotmail.com. Whoever is before me in line, send me the file there via msn...

The_Emperor
11-02-2004, 13:03
No need, go to here to download the game.

http://www.totalwar.org/Downloads/Uploaders/pbmupload.php

econ21
11-02-2004, 14:01
Contrary to what I had been promised, my new computer still has not arrived, so King Yngvar please go ahead and download the savegame. Courier willing, I will take the decade after yours!

King Yngvar
11-03-2004, 23:45
Alright, I shall start my reign as soon as possible :)

King Yngvar
11-05-2004, 02:10
Julii: 240 - 230 BC Short description

The economical situation was fragile at the start of my reign, the person who played before me must have been focusing everything on taking Spain. My leader, Manius (mighty/conqueror or something), became Manius the Builder by the time my reign was over. He spent all the 10 years in Asturia. I did not move him once, if I had the town would be filled with rebel scum anyway. I had two generals wipe out the Britons gradually. Armorica was abandoned at first but retaken when reinforcements arrived. By the time my reign was over, it was taken back, along with Belgica, Londinium and Caledonia. Mauretania was taken from the Numidians, snatched it right before the Scipii could get it. I declared war upon Dacia and seized Noricum. The financial situation was vastly improved I think. I also started building up forces at the border near the other Romans, preparing for the civil war...

econ21
11-07-2004, 03:49
Julii 230-220 BC short description

I concentrated on improving our financial situation - I inherited a treasury of 4297 gold and left one of 72908. I built buildings continuously, but kept troop purchases to a minimum. We are now the most advanced faction, but the Brutii top the general faction ranking chart.

Our faction leader, now Marius the Orator, managed to escape from being held hostage by disloyal Spaniard citizens and conducted an epic march from Asturia to Dacia.

The war on Dacia went well with our forces seizing Campus Iazyges, but then the Germans decided to get involved. The penultimate turn was an epic with Marius arriving from Spain with 1128 men to relieve Lovosice just in time to be attacked by 2850 Germans! He killed 2821 men, for the lost of 220.

My successor will have a fun decade punishing the Germans!

PS: Minor point - I have sent a diplomat on a boat on a world tour, starting with Egypt - I think trade may get better if we discover more cities on the map and establish more trade agreements.

King Yngvar
11-07-2004, 07:42
By the way, battle in Belgica 235: https://photobucket.com/albums/v513/RTW_Screenies/RTW%20Screenshots/?action=view&current=CrushingBritons-235BC.jpg

econ21
11-10-2004, 10:42
We need another player to take up the reigns - I suggest either advertising in the Colosseum and Entrance Hall; or simply recycling back to the first player (the Emperor).

I also think we need to get the write-ups done soon - King Yngvar, why don't you put a placeholder in the story thread like Chimpyang has done and then I will post a write-up? I can't promise much though, as I did not take any screenshots (didn't know how), sorry.

kingcool900
12-05-2004, 22:25
do you need another player becuse i want to joint his pbm

Amon_Zeth
12-12-2004, 03:26
Yes, please!

Piko
12-16-2004, 20:37
i would like to join the pm too!if i can that is

Piko
12-16-2004, 20:41
How do you set unit size?
oh and how do you edit previous posts?

econ21
12-16-2004, 21:48
Sorry, somehow the last few posts passed me by - as far as I know, this PBM is open, I was the last King to have signed up. The savegame is in the uploader for PBM games - see Shadeswolf's stickied thread in this forum. I copied this shortcut to the game which should also work:

http://www.totalwar.org/patrons/pbm/Julii-PBEM-220bc.rar

Kingcool900 declared an interest first, so he should have a bit of time to download the game. But if he does not post in a few days, shadowstar should feel free to do so. It is supposed to be 10 years per player, so the waiting involved should not be too long. Have fun!

PS: Shadowstar - I believe you can change unit size in the options setting in the initial menu. Unfortunately, I don't think junior members can edit their posts - best thing is to make a few sensible posts in the entrance hall and hope the mods will promote you to member. I'm not too keen on the system, but the org is a good place to hang out.

Piko
12-18-2004, 12:52
can i download it now because kingcool900 hasn't replied to the post in 4 days so i think he isn't looking at it anymore.

Piko
12-18-2004, 13:10
:help: help! :help:

after opening the shortcut and saving the file into my saves i can't open the game!
:help:

econ21
12-19-2004, 03:36
Shadowstar - the file is compressed by winrar; you need that winrar.exe to uncompress it. Do a google search for winrar and the first hit should take you to a web page where you can download a free trial version of winrar. It's very easy to use. Once you have winrar, you can extract the savegame file proper and put that into your savegame directory.

Piko
12-19-2004, 16:13
thanks simon

Piko
12-19-2004, 16:40
okay after 1 turn i've noticed that the brutii have amassed a big army a little north of greece so i think it would be wise to step of the financial road and start building armys

Piko
12-21-2004, 20:18
i've made the save a .rar file but how do i post it?

Piko
12-22-2004, 11:04
My first 8 turns or so i spent moving around army's and building them to prepare for my conquest of Rome when i started it i had bribed all of the spqr forces except 1 general and his 4 elite units,they got crushed.
What i should probably say is that i've expanded by now to the north a little and further to the east into the German and Dacian lands respectively here follows the description of my battle versus the last great German army(at that time)
Battle for Vicus Marcomanni:
The german army came up the mountain and were instantly showered by projectiles by the archer auxilia on top they sent their general and noble cavalry up.
The mercenary Barbarian cavalry units(2 at the time)+my general attacked them,crushed them and killed the german general then i sent my legions of the mountain they crushed the spearmen and axemen and they were easily run down by my cavalry byebye German faction leader and biggest army byebye.
Now i invaded the brutii in greece with their own forces that i had bribed, 5 full stacks i believe 3 with generals one without and the rest(with a general) didn't fight and got scattered over the cities i've allready conquered.
another battle description ~:) Battle for Illyria!:
The brutii had brought all their nearby army's together to defeat Spurius Fonteius and his men(20 units)7 units from segestica that he was besieging,15 units+general and 3 from the east the 15 came from the valley the 7 from Segestica came from up hill and the 3 units from the east.
On the hill i had my general 1 roman cavalry 2 early legionary cohorts and 1 auxilia unit.
The rest of my 20 units were hiding in the forest a little above the valley and my archer auxilia (5 units) were decimating the brutii with projectiles from uphill the Br. as i will refer to them sent their cavalry up the hill and were ambushed by my 2 legionary cohorts,8 early legionary cohorts and my 2 Roman cavalry units after they were killed i sent my 2 legionary cohorts east to intercept the army of 3 units and my other 12 units swept down and crushed the early legionary cohorts in the valley then it was just a matter of sending my infrantry and cavalry north to backup the elite bodygaurd(the 4 units on the hill in the north) i had left with my general with and clean up the last leftover units, 2 or 3 scattered Br. units that is had a great crush for the Br. on the more western front
:jawdrop:,anyway im going to sleep now
More will follow later!

The Panda Centurion
01-16-2005, 22:57
Any chance that i could take a shot at it? It sounds like fun. :charge:

econ21
01-21-2005, 15:00
Shadowstar instructions for uploading savegames can be found at:

https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=29005

Post or PM me if you have difficulties.

Panda Centurion maybe give Shadowstar some time to upload his game. If he does not, then you can always download my 220BC one.

orcorama
04-05-2005, 23:19
hi id like to join
i have 1.1 patch
im not sure what version you used so i dont know if it will work
my e-mail is orcorama@yahoo.com

econ21
04-06-2005, 01:18
Orcarama, glad to have you on board. Just download the savegame and play a decade. It seems like Shadowstar never uploaded his savegame, so we are back to 220BC, I am afraid. The campaign used the latest patch - I thought that was 1.2? (The first patch was just for MP and tweaked elephants).

orcorama
04-06-2005, 18:42
it worked even though i have 1.1

About half way through my reign I have taken the two central german provinces and am advancing on the rest. I have 60 something K. Also i have taken the daccian capitol and scythia from the daccians. i captured the northern thracian province that the greeks had conquered.
I got the chance for power message but i think i will leave the next king with a strong army on the border. the problem with the cival war is that the brutii and scipii are quite strong and we are between them.
i took ireland because i didnt like not haveing that corner.
I have upgraded several cities and am trying to upgrade money buildings.
i took a few screenshots of my conquests where do i put them?

Craterus
04-06-2005, 19:12
I think you just post them here on this thread..
Sounds like you had a successful reign.. ~D

Chimpyang
04-06-2005, 20:17
Yeha bin a long time since i saw this thread......it's for 1.1 and it could do with finishing off. hint hint!

orcorama
04-06-2005, 21:49
well in that case ill attack rome and if no one else comes ill mop up the rest of germany and daccia.

cunobelinus
04-07-2005, 11:16
i am up fro a 10 year reign wen i get a new copy of the game as my game is broken

orcorama
04-14-2005, 01:26
hi!
i had a computer virus so i have not had a chance to play or post sorry

i am about half way through my reign.
if you dont mind waiting for me to rejiger my computer to get rome to work ill post my savegame as soon as i finish.