PDA

View Full Version : translations, please

solypsist
11-28-2000, 11:11
Hey guys I was just reading a a little book and came across some words used in context, but now I'm curious about more accurate interpretations. See if you can help:

What is a jizamurai?

and kokujin?

thanks

Kurando
11-28-2000, 11:17
Jizamurai - Farmer samurai.

Kokujin - I think this is just a common name, but if there is a literal translation I'm not sure what it means. -I wish FWS was here.

Ii Naomasa
11-28-2000, 12:52
Depending on how it was written, 'kokujin' could mean a black person, as in of African descent. I've seen that reference before, but it may not be the only one.

Unfortunately, I only know enough Japanese to know I'll never know enough. http://www.totalwar.org/ubb/smile.gif

Kanji
11-28-2000, 16:15
jizamurai - samurai who was born and lived in the village

kokujin -
1) people who belong the province
(=kokunin) 2) Lord who settles in the same land from generation to generation ( shugo)
('shugo' is a lord who came from the outside)
3) Person who belongs to Negroid (a black person)

I referred to a famous dictionary of Japan named Koujien.
I wonder whether you understood my explanation because I am weak in English.

solypsist
11-29-2000, 02:21
hey thanks.

FwSeal
11-29-2000, 04:11
By the 16th Century, kokujin, in the broadest sense, came to mean almost any landed family with long-standing ties to the area they inhabited - often back to the 12th Century. These families were often very protective of their local rights and authority - gaining their support was one of the toughest tasks any daimyo was likely to face in building a stable domain. As Kanji's post indicates, the 'men of the province' ('koku' being written with the same charactor as 'kuni', or province; 'jin'= 'men') concept distinguished them from the shugo, who might come and go over the years.

Tachikaze
11-29-2000, 04:48
Kanji,

Wakarimashita. Jôzu desu ne.

[This message has been edited by Tachikaze (edited 11-28-2000).]

Kanji
11-29-2000, 08:25
Tachikaze,
Anata koso. (you, too)

I was surprised at knowledgeable in other threads of FwSeal.
Rekishi-Gunzo is a famous, maniac book.