PDA

View Full Version : Custom Battle Editor for MP games?

d6veteran
10-11-2004, 19:47
I was telling a friend that it wouldn't be too hard to fiddle with the historical battles in order to make some tournament battles for online play.

I was then told that the rumor was that CA is going to provide a custom battle editor for online play, that would allow for creating set piece battles.

Is this true?

That would be really cool for competitive play. The community could create a set of balanced battles that could be used for ladder play.

CBR
10-11-2004, 19:49
Yes its true:

We will be releasing a battle editor (which also includes an integrated terrain editor) for generating stand-alone battles with a future patch, and also a rough modding guide which may be added to over time as people run into problems. Other tools, such as the sprite generator or some of the Excel spreadsheets, may be released after a while; again, no decision has yet been made on this.

From https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=37359

CBR

d6veteran
10-12-2004, 07:36
Hmmm. But can those be played online? As in will it include a way to make a historical type battle to load up for multiplayer?

CBR
10-12-2004, 12:07
Well I havent experimented with it online but it worked in a quick LAN test.

The folder where battles are located is : Activision\Rome - Total War\Data\world\maps\battle\custom

As you can see a battle has to made for MP and thats done by a few simple changes in the txt file located in each of these folders.

CBR